Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-30-2017, 6:27 PM

Default Tech Billionaires Prep for Automation Apocalypse

The story about ultra-wealthy Silicon Valley types buying land where they can hunker down raises immediate questions — what the heck do the tech rich have to fear anyway? They are on top of the world with wealth and influence, plus they can afford to buy a house in Palo Alto.

As it happens, the tech elites fear public fury over the jobless future they have created with automation and artificial intelligence.

The original long article in the New Yorker (Doomsday Prep for the Super-Rich, Jan. 30, 2017) meandered around, but the point boiled down to this:

The fears vary, but many worry that, as artificial intelligence takes away a growing share of jobs, there will be a backlash against Silicon Valley, America’s second-highest concentration of wealth. (Southwestern Connecticut is first.) “I’ve heard this theme from a bunch of people,” Hoffman said. “Is the country going to turn against the wealthy? Is it going to turn against technological innovation? Is it going to turn into civil disorder?”

. . . Reid Hoffman, the co-founder of the professional social network, LinkedIn, told The New Yorker that he believes more than 50 per cent of billionaires in the Californian tech hub are preparing for the worst . . ."

Full article: http://www.vdare.com/posts/tech-bill...ion-apocalypse
Old 01-30-2017, 6:35 PM

If I had billions it would be an easy decision to take a million or five and invest it in the ultimate preps even if I thought there was a low probability I'd need them.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 01-30-2017, 6:53 PM
Calguns Addict

There are paranoid people at all levels of net worth.
Old 01-30-2017, 6:58 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Ahh guilt
Old 01-30-2017, 7:08 PM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRAFAN View Post
The story about ultra-wealthy Silicon Valley types buying land where they can hunker down raises immediate questions — what the heck do the tech rich have to fear anyway? They are on top of the world with wealth and influence, plus they can afford to buy a house in Palo Alto.

As it happens, the tech elites fear public fury over the jobless future they have created with automation and artificial intelligence.

The original long article in the New Yorker (Doomsday Prep for the Super-Rich, Jan. 30, 2017) meandered around, but the point boiled down to this:

The fears vary, but many worry that, as artificial intelligence takes away a growing share of jobs, there will be a backlash against Silicon Valley, America’s second-highest concentration of wealth. (Southwestern Connecticut is first.) “I’ve heard this theme from a bunch of people,” Hoffman said. “Is the country going to turn against the wealthy? Is it going to turn against technological innovation? Is it going to turn into civil disorder?”

. . . Reid Hoffman, the co-founder of the professional social network, LinkedIn, told The New Yorker that he believes more than 50 per cent of billionaires in the Californian tech hub are preparing for the worst . . ."

Full article: http://www.vdare.com/posts/tech-bill...ion-apocalypse
The thing that really pisses me off is that these Tech Billionaires (AHs for short) want pratically UNRESTRICTED inflows of UNSKILLED IMIGRANTS while at the same time building machines that will put millions out of work.

These people are true AHs only interested in themselves. F' them.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:07 PM

There is a balance in automation and operating in the market. If all your employees are replaced then no one is left to buy your goods. On a small scale early adopters of the new technology will reap the most from automation. As more jobs are automated, and if that translates as a more unemployed population, less people will buy because of lack of funds. It seems like less buyers would correct the problem by the down turn in the market, which would put businesses out of business. People buy products not robots. Your business can only thrive if other people are also thriving enough to do business with.
Old 01-31-2017, 5:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRAFAN View Post
To answer your question, the tech rich have the same to fear as the rest of us. Their scenario might be different than yours -- backlash over robots as opposed to economic collapse or EMP strike -- but it's still prepping.

Just like many of us, the tech rich live in areas that will not be sustainable if the SHTF. The Bay Area can't grow enough food to support it's residents, so if it's ever cut off, those residents will do anything in order to avoid starvation.

So, like the rest of us, the tech rich can plan to bug in or out, relying on their preps to help them effect their plans. Nothing special about that at all. They must prep, just like the rest of us, because when the SHTF, nobody is going to accept your VISA card, and if it's really bad, nobody is going to accept your cash, either.

Sure, they probably have some spendy preps like jet helicopters on the roof of their office building for instant evac to their Sierra retreats, but there's nothing essentially different from what any of us are doing.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Billionaires can spend all the money they want but in the gravest conditions they will fail if they don't have the necessary skill set. Desk Jockey is not a skill set.

I am forever thankful that my Father had me in the outdoors my whole childhood, I learned to rope, ride, hunt, fish, camp and take care of livestock, those experiences are my rock of Gibraltar.

My good buddies oldest daughter is getting married soon, she is a physician and was bemoaning the fact that all her friends were marrying and she was single a few years back. I asked her about all the male residents that she worked with and her reply was "They can't even screw in a light bulb". She was looking for a man like her Father and finally found one in a Marine officer.

So skill set trumps money every time. All the things money can buy will have no value without the skill set to maximize their worth.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:57 PM

If I had a billion dollars, I'd also prepare for masses of people to be pissed off at me. Having plenty of money means you can prep for anything you want.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Heh, go ahead and hide in bunkers when the SHTF. Folks will find the ventilation intakes and block them.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 02-01-2017, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
Heh, go ahead and hide in bunkers when the SHTF. Folks will find the ventilation intakes and block them.
"ventilation intake" will be the new public outhouse. 😆

Sent using 2 cans and a long string.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 02-01-2017, 3:21 PM

There will be more of these to keep the mortals away

That one happens to be also hardened against nuclear, er, stuff....
Old 02-01-2017, 8:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by user120312 View Post

20 acres?

F'n Pittiful.
Old 02-01-2017, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

I still don't really buy the "automation will make most of us desperately poor while making a tiny handful fabulously rich" narrative. It seems like it's a hypothetical that is a good excuse for implementing big government redistribution policies.

If you could travel back in time and tell people that by 2000 less than 3% of the population would be farmers it would sound absolutely dystopian.

Old 02-01-2017, 8:36 PM

To harp on this, automation will take jobs, yes. However, this forces those folks and new generation of workers to do other kinds of jobs that cannot be taken away by automation. It's something that I believe a lot of people are not considering when talking about automationgeddon. I work in a field where automation is rampant. Instead of doing said tasks, you now become responsible for maintaining the insturments and interpreting results automation spits out.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
The thing that really pisses me off is that these Tech Billionaires (AHs for short) want pratically UNRESTRICTED inflows of UNSKILLED IMIGRANTS while at the same time building machines that will put millions out of work.

These people are true AHs only interested in themselves. F' them.
I'm not sure where you get this from. This is old and out of date information from more than a decade ago. It largely never applied to workers employed by US tech companies (big successful companies are not salary restricted nor are they interested in second rate domesticly located larbor).

The only companies I've seen abuse this process are the large overseas contracting houses. But even these companies also employ US non visa works. In either case the contracted price is quite high.
Old 02-02-2017, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

but just a couple well placed bags of tnt will turn this into your tomb.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Just looked at the floorplan of that bunker and noticed that it didn't have any storage. Gonna be a great being locked down there without any food stores.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Or maybe:

Of course I'm not suggesting that would be a good idea, or that anyone should do that.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 02-02-2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
To answer your question, the tech rich have the same to fear as the rest of us. Their scenario might be different than yours -- backlash over robots as opposed to economic collapse or EMP strike -- but it's still prepping.

Just like many of us, the tech rich live in areas that will not be sustainable if the SHTF. The Bay Area can't grow enough food to support it's residents, so if it's ever cut off, those residents will do anything in order to avoid starvation.

So, like the rest of us, the tech rich can plan to bug in or out, relying on their preps to help them effect their plans. Nothing special about that at all. They must prep, just like the rest of us, because when the SHTF, nobody is going to accept your VISA card, and if it's really bad, nobody is going to accept your cash, either.

Sure, they probably have some spendy preps like jet helicopters on the roof of their office building for instant evac to their Sierra retreats, but there's nothing essentially different from what any of us are doing.

Reminded me of the original "War of the worlds"

Towards the end, a guy with a briefcase of cash was trying to buy a ride/supplies. The guy he was trying to buy it from basically told him his cash was not worth poop.

I suppose cash would be good for tinder though.
Old 02-02-2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
Just looked at the floorplan of that bunker and noticed that it didn't have any storage. Gonna be a great being locked down there without any food stores.
The target market expects room service.
Old 02-02-2017, 5:14 PM
Banned

the greatest scientific minds in the world say there is a greater chance we are an advanced simulation rather than a real species.

Its pretty simple.

If in 100 years our tech bubble extends our presences 250 light years from earth, and the galaxy is billions of years older than us, and our tech doubles every 6 years, then in less than 1000 years we will have explored or made our presence known to the entire Milky way galaxy.

So this begs the question, where is everyone if we are not alone? It is statistically impossible for us to be the first intelligent species. Its also nearly impossible that we are alone given all we think we know. We are babies in this galaxy.

Going down the list of actual reasonable conclusions, the best and most likely one is, we are a simulation. A very complex and controlled simulation.
Old 02-02-2017, 9:50 PM

This where I am going when SHTF. Take everything I need from these Libturds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:

Or pour human waste down the shaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Billionaires can spend all the money they want but in the gravest conditions they will fail if they don't have the necessary skill set. Desk Jockey is not a skill set.

I am forever thankful that my Father had me in the outdoors my whole childhood, I learned to rope, ride, hunt, fish, camp and take care of livestock, those experiences are my rock of Gibraltar.

My good buddies oldest daughter is getting married soon, she is a physician and was bemoaning the fact that all her friends were marrying and she was single a few years back. I asked her about all the male residents that she worked with and her reply was "They can't even screw in a light bulb". She was looking for a man like her Father and finally found one in a Marine officer.

So skill set trumps money every time. All the things money can buy will have no value without the skill set to maximize their worth.
That's just what poor people say lol.
Old 02-07-2017, 8:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbo View Post
There is a balance in automation and operating in the market. If all your employees are replaced then no one is left to buy your goods. On a small scale early adopters of the new technology will reap the most from automation. As more jobs are automated, and if that translates as a more unemployed population, less people will buy because of lack of funds. It seems like less buyers would correct the problem by the down turn in the market, which would put businesses out of business. People buy products not robots. Your business can only thrive if other people are also thriving enough to do business with.
Spot on!
Old 02-08-2017, 4:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Many tech-savy are preppers, but usually former .mil, I assume.

I don't think it has to do with the automation/robot apocalypse.

I recently heard someone talking about preppers in Silicon Valley, and how they have contingency locations, in case of unrest, much like politicians.

People with spare funds tend to think about how to hold their wealth, and how things can be taken by zombies that never did anything with their lives.
Old 02-08-2017, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
but just a couple well placed bags of tnt will turn this into your tomb.
Absolutely possible, once the private security force is breached and defeated. Forex, take away USSS and think just Trump's private security force. That kind of stuff. Could DEVGRU get in/take it out? Maybe. Probably. However, it looks a bit more robust than UBL's compound that they took out. A lot actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
Looks to be about 16,000 square feet of living space in two levels with four kitchens like the one pictured. When we design our little bunkers/shelters/SHTF retreats, do we put in storage space and think about stocking it? Of course we do. A bunker nearly 50 feet underground with three foot thick concrete walls likely has the same attention to detail, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machrono View Post
The target market expects room service.
Definitely, and they'd likely get it. Billionaires have that stuff figured out. People are tools.
Old 02-08-2017, 1:26 PM

Ahh, type "A" business nerds are not going to get along with Alpha Male Mercenary Guards, the Alpha males are going to wind up with all the wimons and the whole complex in short order, way to crammed for it not to happen

Blood is thicker than water, better to have a place like KevinB, many Sons and good neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPun762 View Post
That's just what poor people say lol.
Old 03-11-2017, 9:06 AM

An enterprising company sells monthly access to a boat to get out of New York City by water if you don't have the coin for a helo.

http://planbmarine.com/#aboutus

We have a Plan B that we think is worth sharing. We’d love to talk with you about it and see what you think.. Plan B Marine deploys only the best. Our in-board, diesel, prop driven fleet of Willard Sea Force 700 and Zodiac 7 m and 10 m Hurricane Rigid Inflatable Boats and 8 m SAFE Boat Defenders Coast Guard Boats, can have you across the Hudson in three to six minutes. They come in cabin, or center console, have room for 18+ passengers and their robust construction ensures constant unsinkable seaworthiness. We’ll help you pick out and outfit the boat that’s right for your needs. Nothing to purchase. You only pay an all inclusive annual fee for this one of a kind service.

Could this work in the Bay Area?
Old 03-11-2017, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
An enterprising company sells monthly access to a boat to get out of New York City by water if you don't have the coin for a helo.

http://planbmarine.com/#aboutus

We have a Plan B that we think is worth sharing. We’d love to talk with you about it and see what you think.. Plan B Marine deploys only the best. Our in-board, diesel, prop driven fleet of Willard Sea Force 700 and Zodiac 7 m and 10 m Hurricane Rigid Inflatable Boats and 8 m SAFE Boat Defenders Coast Guard Boats, can have you across the Hudson in three to six minutes. They come in cabin, or center console, have room for 18+ passengers and their robust construction ensures constant unsinkable seaworthiness. We’ll help you pick out and outfit the boat that’s right for your needs. Nothing to purchase. You only pay an all inclusive annual fee for this one of a kind service.

Could this work in the Bay Area?
I lived near NYC back in 80's- No fargin way would that work then or now- same with Bay area.
I don't care if you have a platoon of heavily armed goons guarding the boats.

1st- desperation will cause masses to storm the boats
2nd- you need to get from point a to boats (getting anywhere in NYC on even a non-workday is ugly)
3rd- crew will just say fu and take off w/o you

better to buy your own craft and store in less visible location.
Old 03-12-2017, 9:49 AM

I agree but getting a bankster to give you $90K a year for a placebo is novel.
Old 03-16-2017, 1:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
the greatest scientific minds in the world say there is a greater chance we are an advanced simulation rather than a real species.

Its pretty simple.

If in 100 years our tech bubble extends our presences 250 light years from earth, and the galaxy is billions of years older than us, and our tech doubles every 6 years, then in less than 1000 years we will have explored or made our presence known to the entire Milky way galaxy.

So this begs the question, where is everyone if we are not alone? It is statistically impossible for us to be the first intelligent species. Its also nearly impossible that we are alone given all we think we know. We are babies in this galaxy.

Going down the list of actual reasonable conclusions, the best and most likely one is, we are a simulation. A very complex and controlled simulation.
Nikita Khrushchev said"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism. "
Old 03-19-2017, 11:05 AM

I know some of these people they are talking about. I have never once heard any of them speak of SHTF. Most of them just have a nice place where they can spend time with family, friends and pets without being bothered. A beautiful ranch close to a runway they can land a jet at. I would bet 99% of these people are more concerned with the tax benefits of these properties than SHTF.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Every one of my libtard friends came to me after the election to ask how to buy a handgun. I told them first they had to join the NRA to become eligible in CA to purchase a handgun. They all did it.

Last edited by Blade Gunner; 03-19-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Old 03-19-2017, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

The biggest societal challenge facing the first world in the coming years will be the lack of meaningful work for a large portion of the population. Governments won't let the population starve but what does someone do with their lives - for the rest of their lives - when there is nothing to get up every day for? we may curse our jobs but they challenge us and exercise our brains and give us social contact with those outside of our immediate circle.

This is a challenge that won't become apparent for another 30 or 40 years but we'll start seeing the immediate impact with the automation of piloting motor vehicles. Professional drivers will be obsolete as will industries that repair body damage on vehicles - many fewer accidents with robot vehicles.

The trend will continue. We may rarely see a doctor or nurse in the not far off future for example.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 03-20-2017, 1:13 PM

Bunkers are the wealthy's new man cave.'

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. A large red-glowing pit with gavin newsome, diane frankenstein and governor brown at the bottom with pitchforks.
(Non caps intended)
Old 03-22-2017, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

First came bunkers...

Then bunker busters.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-25-2017, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Every one of my libtard friends came to me after the election to ask how to buy a handgun. I told them first they had to join the NRA to become eligible in CA to purchase a handgun. They all did it.
nice one!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRASS for sale 223/556, 9mm- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=849402
Old 03-25-2017, 9:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
LOL
That's great