Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-03-2011, 1:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
heh

That was sort of my point.
So your point is even with the legal work around the mags can be banned with future legislative action?
Old 12-03-2011, 1:57 PM

And what hints has he given and based on what?
Old 12-03-2011, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
can we declare state congress as nuisance
is there a petition for that

I'll start

State congress is a nuisance
Tripper
I'd consider our state representatives somewhere between "nuisance" and "enemy of the constitution, domestic," and leaning closer to the latter than the former.
"Most Rights that are accused of being 'created from whole cloth' exist because in fact the Bill of Rights is not limiting. Lack of liberty is statist thuggery.
If you don't like sodomy or abortion, don't do it." -Bill Wiese
Old 12-03-2011, 2:06 PM

Is it illegal to smith your 10/30 mags to full capacity? If you can legally buy a mag thats a 10/30, 10/20 and if its not illegal, just saying just wondering?
Old 12-03-2011, 2:08 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm2021 View Post
Is it illegal to smith your 10/30 mags to full capacity? If you can legally buy a mag thats a 10/30, 10/20 and if its not illegal, just saying just wondering?
"Smithing” said mags = “manufacturing” in the eyes of the CA DOJ , thus still illegal by CA PC 12079

-------

Last edited by SantaCabinetguy; 12-03-2011 at 2:10 PM..
Old 12-03-2011, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
"Smithing” said mags = “manufacturing” in the eyes of the CA DOJ , thus still illegal by CA PC 12079
Is that the legal definition of manufacturing? Why would they use that landuage when "modify" is more appropriate?
Old 12-03-2011, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Is that the legal definition of manufacturing? Why would they use that landuage when "modify" is more appropriate?
Stop trying to look at this logically.

Beginning of the process: no >10rd mags. End of process: you have >10rd mags. Illegal.
Old 12-03-2011, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.

(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any
ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it
cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
If its a 10/30 mag it can not be altered by definition, because it has to be permanent. If you did modify a 10/30 (by ca definition a 10 rd) it would be manufacturing a hi-cap mag.

Last edited by repubconserv; 12-03-2011 at 2:27 PM..
Old 12-03-2011, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reductio View Post
Stop trying to look at this logically.
Your real encouraging.
Old 12-03-2011, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
So your point is even with the legal work around the mags can be banned with future legislative action?

Yes.

But then, future legislative action could also be taken to ban Clamato, shaving, and carpet cleaners. (Actually, I sort of wouldn't be against a ban on shaving. Or Clamato.)

Gene's been VERY clear on the point that his package will simply be a legal way to import the magazines for the first time. If you take them back out of state again, you will not be able to bring them back in, as then you will be bringing a magazine into CA that was not owned here prior to 2000. Hell, if you take it apart for cleaning and then put it back together again, that would still run afoul of the manufacturing statute.

The idea that California will not be able to prevent it through action on its own part, with no outside help, is only for the importation aspect, and only for the first importation into California. It simply provides a way to legally and intentionally acquire a >10 round magazine in CA, since most of us can't reliably find them when out on a hike.

If they made simple possession illegal, then there is no workaround.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 12-03-2011, 7:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

The idea that California will not be able to prevent it through action on its own part, with no outside help, is only for the importation aspect, and only for the first importation into California. It simply provides a way to legally and intentionally acquire a >10 round magazine in CA, since most of us can't reliably find them when out on a hike.

If they made simple possession illegal, then there is no workaround.
could it be as simple as driving to nevada buying them hurling them over the border then picking them up on the other side

i'm pretty sure there is no law in nevada banning flinging magazines across the border and in nevada you only have to obey nevada law

its just a thought exercise i would never do this as it is incredibly ridiculous
Old 12-03-2011, 8:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
could it be as simple as driving to nevada buying them hurling them over the border then picking them up on the other side

i'm pretty sure there is no law in nevada banning flinging magazines across the border and in nevada you only have to obey nevada law

its just a thought exercise i would never do this as it is incredibly ridiculous
Nope, because you're still importing them, and California can still effectively exercise what's called "long arm jurisdiction" against you. It's an interesting concept, where a state can still act as though someone outside its borders were still within them for legal purposes. Different states define this concept differently. California, for instance, says that a "court of this state may exercise jurisdiction on any basis not inconsistent with the Constitution of this state or the United States." (Cal Civ P. Code ss410.10).

So, what you need to do is find a way to accomplish the same action - effectively flinging them across the border, to borrow your words - where, if California attempted to exercise jurisdiction over the person doing the flinging, it would be "inconsistent with the Constitution of ... the United States."

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Old 12-03-2011, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Nope, because you're still importing them, and California can still effectively exercise what's called "long arm jurisdiction" against you. It's an interesting concept, where a state can still act as though someone outside its borders were still within them for legal purposes. Different states define this concept differently. California, for instance, says that a "court of this state may exercise jurisdiction on any basis not inconsistent with the Constitution of this state or the United States." (Cal Civ P. Code ss410.10).

So, what you need to do is find a way to accomplish the same action - effectively flinging them across the border, to borrow your words - where, if California attempted to exercise jurisdiction over the person doing the flinging, it would be "inconsistent with the Constitution of ... the United States."
1. Acquire dog
2. Strap standard capacity magazines to dog on Nevada side of the border
3. Step over to California
4. Dog follows you, bringing the magazines into California

Can they put a dog in jail for importing standard capacity magazines?
Old 12-03-2011, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Heh, perhaps our friends on the Arizona and Nevada borders could randomly fling magazines across and not tell anyone. They could then be found legitimately without attempting conspiracy (like the dog trick mentioned would be convicted as).
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 12-04-2011, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Nope, because you're still importing them, and California can still effectively exercise what's called "long arm jurisdiction" against you.
The experts all say that, and that sending magazines into the state from across the state line would get you imprisoned.

That may be the case, but I keep pointing out that PC 32310 reads (emphasis added):

Quote:
any person in this state who [...] imports into the state
That language would seem to preclude long-arm jurisdiction.

Even if jurisdiction is given and charges brought, how is it that a person who was not physically in California could be convicted under a law which explicitly only applies to a "person in this state"?

I don't think this can be reasonably read as "person who, in this state, imports."

Of course, a recipient in California would still be vulnerable. Though shipping to themselves from out of state would be an interesting situation if my interpretation were correct...
There are certain rights that are not to be subject to popular votes, otherwise they are not fundamental rights. If every fundamental liberty can be stripped away by a majority vote, then it's not a fundamental liberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog
When the governor vetoes a bill that would make it a felony to steal a gun, but signs a bill into law that makes it a felony not to register a gun you already legally own, you know something isn't right.
Old 12-04-2011, 5:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes.

But then, future legislative action could also be taken to ban Clamato, shaving, and carpet cleaners. (Actually, I sort of wouldn't be against a ban on shaving. Or Clamato.)
You, Sir, are obviously not a true aficionado of shrimp cocktail!
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)
Old 12-04-2011, 6:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
That's why the legal prep work is necessary.

Proper papers will be waveable.
We need a "lightbulb going on" emoticon
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 12-04-2011, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneiderguy View Post
1. Acquire dog
2. Strap standard capacity magazines to dog on Nevada side of the border
3. Step over to California
4. Dog follows you, bringing the magazines into California

Can they put a dog in jail for importing standard capacity magazines?
IMO A dog is property, your scenario is not very different from asking them to put your car into jail because the mags were in the trunk

As far as not being able to clean and reassemble, when I put magazines back together, my intent is for them to be used for the same purpose as when they were purchased.
Also, if I leave the state and return, I am not illegally importing magazines, returning with magazines that I intend to use in the same way they were originally imported.

Last edited by theicecreamdan; 12-04-2011 at 8:15 AM..
Old 12-04-2011, 8:52 AM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

If it was your dog and you were present when the dog crossed you’d most likely be arrested on conspiracy charges (especially if you attached said mags to the dog).

-------
Old 12-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
If it was your dog and you were present when the dog crossed you’d most likely be arrested on conspiracy charges (especially if you attached said mags to the dog).
I don't think you can have a conspiracy with your dog. Conspiracy requires two or more persons.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicecreamdan View Post
Also, if I leave the state and return, I am not illegally importing magazines, returning with magazines that I intend to use in the same way they were originally imported.
Actually, the law is very specific about this. You can not import any large-capacity magazines you did not legally possess within the state at some time prior to 1/1/2000.

PC 32420. Section 32310 does not apply to the importation of a
large-capacity magazine by a person who lawfully possessed the
large-capacity magazine in the state prior to January 1, 2000,
lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning to the state with
the same large-capacity magazine.

Last edited by mrdd; 12-04-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
You, Sir, are obviously not a true aficionado of shrimp cocktail!
This is correct. If something came from the factory with more than 4 legs or less than two, I'm not eating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicecreamdan View Post
IMO A dog is property, your scenario is not very different from asking them to put your car into jail because the mags were in the trunk

Actually, I'd argue that it's completely different, because you are in control of the car, in that it has no will of its own other than what you as the operator do with it. The dog, on the other hand, unless it's on a leash, may (or may not) actually follow or come when it's called.

On the other hand, though, 12020 doesn't seem to set out intent as an element of importation. As such, it would not be a violation of due process to instruct a jury that "a person may be presumed to intend the ordinary consequences of his or her voluntary actions." (Where intent is an element of the crime, it must be proven as a fact, and cannot be presumed.)

If you have a dog which is accustomed to following you around without a leash on, and you strap something to it (a voluntary action), and it follows you across the border, a jury will more than likely be instructed that it may presume you intended for things to work out the way they did.

Quote:
As far as not being able to clean and reassemble, when I put magazines back together, my intent is for them to be used for the same purpose as when they were purchased.

This is irrelevant, unfortunately.

Unless you legally possessed the magazine(s) in question within the borders of the state of California prior to 1/1/2000, it doesn't really matter how they came to be within the state in the first place ... if you take them out and bring them back, it is effectively a new importation, and therefore a new crime. Arguably, the same issue arises for assembly of a magazine that you had disassembled, if it was not legally possessed within the borders of the state of California prior to 1/1/2000.

I'd certainly rather be the prosecutor than the defense on that issue, to say the least.

Quote:

Nope, because a dog can't consent, you cannot have a true agreement between the parties to commit a crime. I'd LOVE to be the defense on that one.

(Now, if someone else attached the magazines to the dog, you could easily make the argument for conspiracy with that party.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody_special
The experts all say that, and that sending magazines into the state from across the state line would get you imprisoned.

That may be the case, but I keep pointing out that PC 32310 reads (emphasis added):

Quote:
any person in this state who [...] imports into the state
That language would seem to preclude long-arm jurisdiction.

Even if jurisdiction is given and charges brought, how is it that a person who was not physically in California could be convicted under a law which explicitly only applies to a "person in this state"?

I don't think this can be reasonably read as "person who, in this state, imports."

Of course, a recipient in California would still be vulnerable. Though shipping to themselves from out of state would be an interesting situation if my interpretation were correct...

Actually, I'd never thought about this aspect of it before, and a close reading actually brings up an interesting question that I'd never noticed before.

Quote:
(2)Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
Manufacturing is a crime, if done within California. Causing manufacturing is a crime, if done within California. Importing is a crime, if done within California ... but ...

It doesn't say anything about causing the import of a large-capacity magazine.

So how is mail order of "large-capacity magazines" actually illegal?

Old 12-04-2011, 12:58 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdd View Post
I don't think you can have a conspiracy with your dog. Conspiracy requires two or more persons.
Who cares about conspiracy with the dog it could be with a doorknob for all i care, its conspiracy to commit a crime

-------
Old 12-04-2011, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Unless there's another person involved, you cannot be charged with conspiracy. You can't legally conspire with a dog.
Old 12-04-2011, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Who cares about conspiracy with the dog it could be with a doorknob for all i care, its conspiracy to commit a crime
OK, so where is the other person? Conspiracy requires two or more persons. You cannot conspire with yourself.

Or, are you saying you are a different person in Nevada than you are within California?
Old 12-04-2011, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Conspiracy means to "agree with others to do something", not simply to plan to do something by yourself. You cannot have a conspiracy without at least two people. Simply planning on your own to commit a crime is generally not in itself illegal, though there are some exceptions for certain crimes.
Old 12-04-2011, 1:14 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryV View Post
Unless there's another person involved, you cannot be charged with conspiracy. You can't legally conspire with a dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdd View Post
OK, so where is the other person? Conspiracy requires two or more persons. You cannot conspire with yourself.

Or, are you saying you are a different person in Nevada than you are within California?
I stand corrected about the two (or more) persons, my mistake.

-------
Old 12-04-2011, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Gene, Wish it would have worked, What a drag....Ca. is sooo wierded... Nice try though... Gotta give you credit for attempting to introduce in Ca. what every other state in the US already allows since the Federal ban expired...
Old 12-04-2011, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
Gene, Wish it would have worked, What a drag....Ca. is sooo wierded... Nice try though... Gotta give you credit for attempting to introduce in Ca. what every other state in the US already allows since the Federal ban expired...
wut? They are still working on it as I understand. PS, not every other state allows hi-cap mags.... sounds like you're trollin recently
Old 12-04-2011, 6:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Huh? Wish what "would have worked?"
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 12-04-2011, 6:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Huh?
Old 12-04-2011, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

No change has been announced in the work around, and there are other states with mag capacity limits. Are you ok?

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit

Last edited by Maestro Pistolero; 12-04-2011 at 7:16 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Pistolero View Post
No change has been announced in the work around, and there are other states with mag capacity limits. Are you ok?
Guess I forgot about Illinois and N.Y., But this post was meant as a complement. By the posts above mine I've read, a change seemed to have taken place.

Last edited by diginit; 12-04-2011 at 8:10 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Default All according to plan

Having read this thread, the California DoJ has sent agents to the Nevada border to scout for the magazine-launching catapult that they believe Gene has set up to "import" magazines. Meanwhile, Gene and all those who have seen his package are sitting around somewhere wearing smoking jackets, sipping scotch, and s******ing uncontrollably.
Old 12-04-2011, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post
Having read this thread, the California DoJ has sent agents to the Nevada border to scout for the magazine-launching catapult that they believe Gene has set up to "import" magazines. Meanwhile, Gene and all those who have seen his package are sitting around somewhere wearing smoking jackets, sipping scotch, and s******ing uncontrollably.
Dude, get it right. It's a catapult that launches an armored car full of magazines over the border.

Sent from my Galaxy S II. Please overlook any typos.
Old 12-04-2011, 9:42 PM

delete

Last edited by jeep7081; 06-27-2012 at 9:17 AM..
Old 12-04-2011, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
I read the whole thread Question?

1. John goes to the desert (in California) and shoots his AR or AK. Does a mag dump and looses one or two of the mags. Paul comes along a year later and finds it. Legal to own?

2. Kevin orders some re-build kits online or walks into local gun shop. Takes them home. Leaves them as rebuild kits. Goes to his buddies house in AZ. Assembles them in AZ, let's off some stress. Disassembles them in AZ, then returns to CA. Legal?

3. Tom gets a few hi-caps prior to 2000. Decides last month to you use them after a purchase of a new AR or AK he bought. He finds out the mags are in poor shape and orders a rebuild kit to fix them. Legal?
1. Yes,

BUT!!!! don't put them in maglocked rifle though. Taking them out of Cali and bringing them back in is also a bad idea

2. As long as they are "kits" and not a completed mag. They can never be assembled magazines while in CA, unless they are replacing a legally owned hi cap

3. As long as he ends up with the same amount of hi-caps as he had before he ordered the rebuild kits.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If this does come to fruition it will most likely be an unintended consequence of something Bill Clinton did eighteen years ago. I can just imagine when Kamala Harris gains a complete understanding of the ramifications of this. She will yell OMFG! in Sacramento and they will hear her all the way to DC.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

We have made certain key parties that we cordially talk to at DOJ BoF aware that we have a workaround on this. They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned

That's a bunch of BS! They're sipping Kentucky's goodness; only Bourbon comes from Kentucky, the rest is just whisky

Quote: