Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-04-2018, 2:03 PM

Default New Hunting Rifle

Hey guys. In the market for a new hunting rifle and have narrowed down my choice to a few options. It was down to 30-06 and 300 win mag, but Iíve decided to go with 30-06. Rifle will be used for hog, deer, and possibly elk and bear in the future. Iíve done my research and have narrowed my personal options to these. If anyone has any experience, or advice, Iíd greatly appreciate it!
Tikka T3x Lite
Savage 110 Storm
Sauer s100 Classic XT
-Kevin
Old 06-04-2018, 3:17 PM

If you can go Tikka I would. They tend to be awesome rifles and very accurate. Good call on 30-06. I find 300WM to be a PITA with little improvement in performance.
Old 06-04-2018, 3:21 PM

I have two Tikkas (.223 and .243) and I like them. The adjustable trigger is very nice and the actions are as smooth as silk. They shoot well, though I have not bothered to tune my hand loads for single hole groups.

A .30-06 may kick a bit harder but that's really an issue only for practice. You're not going to notice the recoil when you have a critter in your scope.

I also have a Savage in .22lr and I'm quite pleased with the way it shoots as well.

If you want to spend a little less, I just acquired a Howa 1500 and it's as accurate as the Tikka. As far as I'm concerned the Howa lives up to its reputation as an economical, accurate out-of-the-box rifle.

My bigger game rifle is a Winchester 670 in .30-06 and I've had no reason to switch it out for something else.
Old 06-04-2018, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Tikka T3x for sure.
Old 06-04-2018, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Wide spectrum, from Savage to Sauer.

I'd be sorely tempted by the Sauer just because it's weird for a super low (by Sauer standards) price. In fact, I might get one even though I have no use for it, lol.

Quote:
At 1 pound 12 ounces, the trigger on my sample was a pleasure to shoot,
Woof.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gun-test...assic-xt-rifle

Last edited by sigstroker; 06-04-2018 at 4:31 PM..
Old 06-04-2018, 4:52 PM

The Weatherby Vanguard 2 is a great buy and guaranteed sub MOA. While the others talk about accuracy, itís really a crapshoot. Go with GUARANTEED. If you have a larger budget Weatherby Mark V is great and GUARANTEED sub MOA.
Old 06-04-2018, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I like the tikka's. I have 2 and my daughter has one. The also have an under 1" rule and I have yet to find a Tikka that did not shoot tiny groups.

Savage rifles just plain shoot well out of the box.

I have no experience with the Sauer rifle. I have shoot many of the others helping out people at the range.

Had a Vanguard(just a Howa with a weatherby stock) will not own another but to each his own. I have my very good reasons. But mine was in 257W.

All that said I suggest you buy the one that fits YOU and feels best to YOU and not what the rest of us want.

Then put a good 3X9X40 or 3.5X10X40 Leupold scope with a duplex reticle sighted in 2.75" high at 100 yards and hold on the animal for meat in the freezer. I also have tried many different slings and found The Claw works best for most people since it tends to not slip off my sloping shoulders. Get a Direct Replacement Limbsaver Recoil Pad and that will do much to tame recoil. Last thing put a good elastic cartridge holder on the buttstock and buy an extra mag for mag fed rifles.

Again buy what fits YOU and YOU like is the best advise I can give you and the 30-06 is an excellent choice.
Old 06-04-2018, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

If you're thinking about a Tikka, this is just as good for less money https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...4%2B1+American or this if you want synthetic stock https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...2FSCP+30-06+22 then put a 3-9 Leupold on it.
Old 06-04-2018, 6:38 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...06+Spgfield+22 This with 3-9 Leupold would be good too.
Old 06-04-2018, 7:50 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Its not on your list but I was looking for much the same thing and went with the Bergara B14 Timber. For around a grand you get a very nice rifle.
Old 06-04-2018, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Hooch,

Take a serious look at the Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard, #3 contour barrel, stainless steel, aluminum bedding block. The number 3 Barrel will give you more shooting time, before Barrel gets to hot. Mine arrives Wednesday, A2
Old 06-04-2018, 9:08 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^ Just how much "shooting time" do you need with a 30-06 HUNTING rifle??

Just would like to know? Is the extra weight worth carrying around day after day for the one shot(you hope only one) that you get at an animal?
Not trying to be a smart butt just wanting to understand your line of thought as it may help me when teaching others as I do.

Myself I do not need more than 1-2 shots at game 99%+ of the time. I will have to admit I have had to take as many as 5-6 shots at wounded game but rarely.
Old 06-04-2018, 9:27 PM

I'll throw another vote in for tikka
Old 06-04-2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
I like the tikka's. I have 2 and my daughter has one. The also have an under 1" rule and I have yet to find a Tikka that did not shoot tiny groups.

Savage rifles just plain shoot well out of the box.

I have no experience with the Sauer rifle. I have shoot many of the others helping out people at the range.

Had a Vanguard(just a Howa with a weatherby stock) will not own another but to each his own. I have my very good reasons. But mine was in 257W.

All that said I suggest you buy the one that fits YOU and feels best to YOU and not what the rest of us want.

Then put a good 3X9X40 or 3.5X10X40 Leupold scope with a duplex reticle sighted in 2.75" high at 100 yards and hold on the animal for meat in the freezer. I also have tried many different slings and found The Claw works best for most people since it tends to not slip off my sloping shoulders. Get a Direct Replacement Limbsaver Recoil Pad and that will do much to tame recoil. Last thing put a good elastic cartridge holder on the buttstock and buy an extra mag for mag fed rifles.

Again buy what fits YOU and YOU like is the best advise I can give you and the 30-06 is an excellent choice.
^^Good info here!
There are many rifles (manufacturers & models) available. YOU really need to look at and shoulder as many as you can, and find what you like.
I have a good friend going through this same process right now, as well.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Tikka T3X, Browning XBolt, Weatherby S2 and Bergara B14 Hunter. If you can find a decent older Remington 700 that would also be a great choice. Good decision on the 30-06!
Old 06-05-2018, 7:30 AM

Of the rifles listed, i'm going to vote for the tikka. .30-06 is a good round to reload.
Old 06-05-2018, 9:58 AM

Tikka all the way. I admit I am not familiar with the newer Howas, but have owned several Howas and Vanguards. I had accuracy issues with most of them...usually two shots together and one about an inch or more away. Good enough for most, but it drove me crazy each time. I have had 3 Tikkas and still have 2 of them. They all shoot under an inch and nice consistent groups. Trigger is great out of the box. One of mine is a .243 and the other is a.300 Win Mag. The mag does kick and I put a Limbsaver pad on it. The .243 will usually group 3 shots between 3/8 and 3/4 of an inch at 100, usually about 1/2 inch. The .300 is pretty stout off the bench and about an inch is the best I can do - not the rifle's fault.

I have a .30-06 1903 sporter and it shoots great, but I have shot more game with a .300 mag then anything else and it has the benefit of a bit flatter trajectory for the long shots. It is my favorite big game round. I have owned a couple other .30-06s as well. I reload so ammo cost is not much of an issue. I even have a Rem 700 custom in .300 Wthby, but it is heavy as I get older.

Last edited by Calif Hunter; 06-05-2018 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 06-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

I had a Tikka T3 lite in .30-06. It was super accurate out of the box. An excellent lightweight hunting rifle. Not a bench gun at all, it kicked like a mule. I put a limbsaver on it and that helped a little. 180gr loads were not fun to shoot. I ended up selling it to consolidate calibers. .308win/7.62NATO is my preference.

I also had a Vanguard S2 in .308. I sold that one too. The Tikka was far superior to the Vanguard IMHO. I'd buy another Tikka again in a flash if I found a really good deal on one. But I'm more interested in the Winchester XPR now.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 06-05-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Old 06-05-2018, 12:11 PM

I have 2 tikkas 223 and 06, and the sauer in 9.3.
I think tikka is lighter and has more after market accessories.
My sauer 100 shoulders beautifully and the bolt feels like it is on rails and as smooth as Tikka. It Has 3 position safety vs 2 on the tikka.
If you see it, pick it and play with it. Only reason I dont have 3 tikkas, is I couldn't find one in 9.3.
If I was in a market I'd get the t3x super lite, put same DNZ or talley low rings holding 2-10x40/42 or 3-12 and you'll be set for a long time. BUT nothing worng with the sauer. Like I said pick it and feel it. I am also hearing great things about the Bergera rifles. SO take a look and do some research.
Over magnification on scopes is over rated unless you really need to go past 500 yards. most kills are shorter range and I always carry my scope on minimum mag. just in case something pops up near by.
Old 06-05-2018, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Divernhunter,

I plan to use the rifle as a hunting rifle and a light duty steel slapper. Hence the heavier barrel. A2
Old 06-05-2018, 2:19 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^ That explains your answer.

The OP said a hunting rifle and I take that to mean not a lot of bench shooting so I suggested a lighter rifle.

Take Care
Old 06-05-2018, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
^^^ That explains your answer.

The OP said a hunting rifle and I take that to mean not a lot of bench shooting so I suggested a lighter rifle.

Take Care
I concur. IMO hunting rifles are really purpose built for hunting because they need to be as light as possible. Unless youre one of those guys that can set up a corn feed in your backyard and blast what ever shows up from you patio.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 06-05-2018, 4:52 PM

30-06 is an excellent round for game.

Only witches fear witch hunts, cast insults and dismiss real news reporting.

Yes, the FBI investigates crimes and the guilty go to jail. Thank goodness.

When crooks are the only ones running, a crook is bound to be elected.

As the swamp drains, it smells more and more like a cesspool.
Old 06-05-2018, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ynthetic+Brown
Old 06-06-2018, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
If you're thinking about a Tikka, this is just as good for less money https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...4%2B1+American or this if you want synthetic stock https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...2FSCP+30-06+22 then put a 3-9 Leupold on it.
A Remington 783 is as good as a Tikka? Is that a joke?
Old 06-06-2018, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
A Remington 783 is as good as a Tikka? Is that a joke?
No joke, Remington 783 is just as good if not better.
Old 06-06-2018, 9:06 AM

Quote:
No joke, Remington 783 is just as good if not better.
You would be in a very minute minority that believes a 783 is as good as a Tikka. The 783 trigger isnít in the same league and as a rule Tikkaís are more accurate. Tikkaís also have a much slicker action and though Tikka stocks may be Tupperware they are better Tupperware than 783 stocks.
Old 06-06-2018, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You would be in a very minute minority that believes a 783 is as good as a Tikka. The 783 trigger isn’t in the same league and as a rule Tikka’s are more accurate. Tikka’s also have a much slicker action and though Tikka stocks may be Tupperware they are better Tupperware than 783 stocks.
Really though if we are talking about hunting rifles all that matters is that it will harvest game if the hunter does their job. Really thats the bottom line. So yes the Tikka is certainly nicer and I can personally vouch for them since I used to have one but for all practical purposes the Rem783 will do the exact same job in the field for around $200-$300 less than the Tikka. I like that the 783 has a DBM, that is a requirement for me. The Tikka weighs in at 6.2lbs and the 783 at 7.125 so you pay at least $200 more for about 1lb in weight savings which I dont think is really worth it.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You would be in a very minute minority that believes a 783 is as good as a Tikka. The 783 trigger isnít in the same league and as a rule Tikkaís are more accurate. Tikkaís also have a much slicker action and though Tikka stocks may be Tupperware they are better Tupperware than 783 stocks.
I couldn't feel that the Tikka action is any slicker than the 783. The 783 trigger is just fine set at 3 lbs, perfect for hunting rifle, and it's accuracy is fine also. I don't like any of the plastic stocks, so I wouldn't say one crap stock is better than the other crap stock, guess they're equal crap.

I do like the 783 magazine better and it's price.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

The design, build quality, and performance of a 783 isnt anywhere close to a Tikka. Yes it can get the job done but its kinda silly to say they are the same.
Old 06-06-2018, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
The design, build quality, and performance of a 783 isnt anywhere close to a Tikka. Yes it can get the job done but its kinda silly to say they are the same.
It's not just close. The design, build quality, and performance of a 783 is just as good or better than the Tikka. Both can get the job done, one just saves $$.

Last edited by TMB 1; 06-06-2018 at 1:13 PM..
Old 06-06-2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:
It's not just close. The design, build quality, and performance of a 783 is just as good or better than the Tikka. Both can get the job done, one just saves $$.
I donít know where youíre coming from but you are flat wrong.
Old 06-06-2018, 2:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I don’t know where you’re coming from but you are flat wrong.
I'm coming from handling and shooting both. That is how I know you are flat wrong.

I'm not the guy that has only owned one rifle and it's a 783 so I'm saying it's the best or as good because it's all I know.

Last edited by TMB 1; 06-06-2018 at 2:33 PM..
Old 06-06-2018, 2:40 PM

I never held or shot the 783. But when I hear someone comparing the action and trigger of tikka to a ruger American. It sounds like the same horrible comparison to me.
To the OP, most of today’s rifles Have moa guarantee so go with what feels right in YOUR hands.
Old 06-06-2018, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

For starters a Tikka bolt is light years ahead of the 783. Im not trying to argue but you might be the only person to ever claim that a 783 is the same or better.
Old 06-06-2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
I'm coming from handling and shooting both. That is how I know you are flat wrong.

I'm not the guy that has only owned one rifle and it's a 783 so I'm saying it's the best or as good because it's all I know.
Have another drink.
Old 06-06-2018, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Have another drink.
They legalize pot in Texas or you an outlaw?
Old 06-06-2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
They legalize pot in Texas or you an outlaw?
That sentence makes no sense, like your nonsense about the 783.
Old 06-06-2018, 4:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That sentence makes no sense, like your nonsense about the 783.
Figured you were smoking it, but because of your nonsense, I can see why that sentence doesn't make sense to you. Your location says Texas.
Old 06-06-2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Figured you were smoking it, but because of your nonsense, I can see why that sentence doesn't make sense to you. Your location says Texas.
West coast superiority complex?