Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Looking at putting a Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 on my Brothers Compass. Would Warne Medium rings work or should I order High rings?
Old 06-08-2018, 6:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Looking at putting a Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 on my Brothers Compass. Would Warne Medium rings work or should I order High rings?

Medium might work but will be a close fit. I have about 8mm gap on my 44mm objective with medium warne maxima rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
Old 06-08-2018, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Medium might work but will be a close fit. I have about 8mm gap on my 44mm objective with medium warne maxima rings.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a set of Warne High 30mm rings for it. They'll be here Monday along with the Argos. Once I get it mounted up, I'll measure the clearance gap and report back.

I swapped a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 with Ballistic Plex Reticle onto my Compass from my AR to try for now. We're going camping at Lake Pillsbury next week for 5-6 days so will test them both out good on the long gravel airstrip up there.

Last edited by WartHog; 06-08-2018 at 6:55 PM..
Old 06-08-2018, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

So, the company I ordered the Athlon Argos BTR from yesterday afternoon for my Brother was supposed to ship it UPS 2nd Day for $27.95. They shipped it instead by Overnight which cost them like $100 from Louisiana and I'm mounting it up now.

There's a solid 3/8" gap between the Objective and the Barrel with the Warne High rings, 1/2" if you remove the flip-up cover. Shouldering the rifle, my cheek/lower jawbone is resting high on the stock but not on top and the scope sight picture comes into alignment/view.

Is the gap satisfactory or should I reorder lower rings? Warne lists ring height for their Fixed rings as follows - High .525" - Med .375" - Low .250". Using the Med rings drop the height .15" whereas with Low rings the drop is .275". If my math-deficient brain has it right, I have a .375 gap now so a set of Low rings sounds like they would work, barely.

Last edited by WartHog; 06-08-2018 at 7:55 PM..
Old 06-08-2018, 8:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So, the company I ordered the Athlon Argos BTR from yesterday afternoon for my Brother was supposed to ship it UPS 2nd Day for $27.95. They shipped it instead by Overnight which cost them like $100 from Louisiana and I'm mounting it up now.

There's a solid 3/8" gap between the Objective and the Barrel with the Warne High rings, 1/2" if you remove the flip-up cover. Shouldering the rifle, my cheek/lower jawbone is resting high on the stock but not on top and the scope sight picture comes into alignment/view.

Is the gap satisfactory or should I reorder lower rings? Warne lists ring height for their Fixed rings as follows - High .525" - Med .375" - Low .250". Using the Med rings drop the height .15" whereas with Low rings the drop is .275". If my math-deficient brain has it right, I have a .375 gap now so a set of Low rings sounds like they would work, barely.

Ideal ring height depends on your face geometry as well as shoulder to cheekbone, if it feels high like youíre not getting a tight cheek weld or have to push the rifle low in your shoulder pocket rather than it sitting high on shoulder then try another pair. If you go too low you could get some shadow of the barrel or muzzle device at low magnification, you also donít want to have to really try and crunch into too small a cheek weld and have your eye / shooting glasses causing limited field of view because youíre not aligned.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old 06-21-2018, 8:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What did you end upi with? Pics? Hows the gap and fit?

I think my TC is perfect, but I have a REM700 where I felt the gap could be less, but adding a flip cap probably as low as possible... seemed risky to swap mounts and try for lower and it is comfortable. I think an huge gap that needs fixing is obvious though. The struggle is real though, I hear ya.

Here's my old Vortex Diamondback with Leupold mount low as you can go

New Viper HS LR with Talley's

Old 07-06-2018, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone else find loading that last round in your Compass magazines to be a PITA? My brother and I both have 308's and find it so difficult that we just load 4 rounds. Would it help to leave the mags loaded with 5 rounds to get the springs to break-in/relax?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Anyone else find loading that last round in your Compass magazines to be a PITA? My brother and I both have 308's and find it so difficult that we just load 4 rounds. Would it help to leave the mags loaded with 5 rounds to get the springs to break-in/relax?
I wasn't lucky enough to have gotten one of these.

But, I do load all my new magazines and let them sit that way for a few days to help make loading in the future easier.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture