Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-25-2017, 7:12 PM

Yup it would be smart to do 762x39.
Wish more gun manufacturers would.
Sounds like you like practical things, 6.5 Swede would be nice but they don’t have it and I don’t know what calibers you have. What’s about 7-08?
Old 11-25-2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
while the .243 is an old man
Oldie but goodie. It'll still kill deer, pronghorn and coyotes. What's not to like?
Old 11-25-2017, 8:34 PM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
Oldie but goodie. It'll still kill deer, pronghorn and coyotes. What's not to like?
Including the wife's , we got 3 243's.
And I'm about to put one up for sale.

7mm-08 is a nice rd I don't currently have but what am I supposed to do with it , I'd love for the wife to move into 7mm-08 but this year she shunned the now hurtful 30-30 for a 243 and wants nothing else and I sure ain't getting involved with changing her mind , cause then I'm at fault if things go wrong ... or right for that matter.
I can't rationalize my wife's recoil , I stopped trying , she tells me her wants and needs and we go with that , sometimes it may not make sense to me .... but she ain't me and I stay out of it unless asked.
She went 30-30 years ago I suspect so I'd have to reload for another caliber .... 35rem was too much for her she said , I'll be danged if I could tell the difference blind folded.
But for her , 30-30 was mild and could shoot that all day while the 35rem was too much even once.
HUH? Ok dear , whatever you say dear , yes dear........
Old 11-25-2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Ok dear , whatever you say dear , yes dear.......
She goes hunting and shooting with you. Either that's a very good thing because you do it together, or it's a bad thing because it causes friction. My hunting partners are a couple up in Alaska. Many years ago the wife complained that they didn't hunt enough. Men are always quite envious.

I wish I could get my wife to come shoot a .22 with me but she has exactly zero interest. Too bad because she's very competitive and would probably be very good.
Old 11-25-2017, 9:16 PM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

Quote:
She goes hunting and shooting with you. Either that's a very good thing because you do it together, or it's a bad thing
it's a double edged sword that cuts both ways for sure my friend.
on one hand , it's good ........ but sometimes you need... alone , guy , me...... time.
She's been told that she must get lonely while I'm out fishing/hunting and sometimes gets comments about it's nice that she goes to watch me shoot ....... it bugs her ....... but I let her out shoot a fellow once with pistols ... she got a kick out of that.
one time a lady asked her what she does in the boat while I was fishing in the boat ..........she gets to see some of the sexism 1st hand
and if we take a 3rd fishing in the boat .... it's a male and he is not allowed to do anything to help unless specifically directed to by me or the wife ........ the guys just stand their embarrassed but I don't trust them , she on the other hand knows our routine.
Oh and I may ad , the wife seems to think ammo grows on trees ..... no fire discipline what so ever ....... none .....not even a smidge.... It's like she thinks she'll get a new pair of shoes with every rd fired or something.........I guess I own an ammo company and don't know it , ammo must be free....... guns fire by air alone and I am apparently the ammo depot.
However I like her as a spotter and sometimes I have to carry her heavy gun in the woods when she tires ..........but she packs good lunches , so it evens out some
And sometimes I have to slow my roll in the woods or streams as she can't keep up if I want to move fast ....... but she brings the secret weapon fishing so can't argue that

Last edited by WMG; 11-25-2017 at 9:56 PM..
Old 11-26-2017, 12:29 PM

So I head out a little early today ..... I go to the one store , they have them ....2 of them ... 223 0r 270.
I can't have a .270 ..... granted nothing wrong with a .270 but I chose sides a long time ago and I won't let Kieth down.
I went to the 2nd store and what is going on today? is today some kind of shopping day also?
To say it was packed is an understatement , I do not engage in that regardless.
I came home.
I will try middle of the week.
243 is what I want I guess but wouldn't turn down a 308 or '06
Old 11-26-2017, 5:19 PM

My son just got the 308 version. Its very light, shorter, and the bolt feels much better than my Jack Oconner approved rifle. Sorry Elmer.....
Old 11-26-2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostersgt View Post
My son just got the 308 version. Its very light, shorter, and the bolt feels much better than my Jack Oconner approved rifle. Sorry Elmer.....
You must hunt many coyotes..........
well ... at least "someone" in that family has a decent caliber
Old 11-26-2017, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Do they make that in 338 Win mag? Isn't that Elmer's round?
Old 11-26-2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Do they make that in 338 Win mag? Isn't that Elmer's round?
I don't believe the compass comes in .338 win mag ....300 win mag "yes"..... elmer did favor those .33/.35 cailbers but between the '06 vs the 270 ... he favored the '06 unless of course you were a sissy elderly woman with one arm a bad leg and hunting yotes for sport with the last name of Oconner

Last edited by WMG; 11-26-2017 at 8:31 PM..
Old 11-26-2017, 8:34 PM

yeah know .... in another thread I picked on harley riders ..... and here i go talking smack on Oconner ......I have met almost ZERO resistance........what's the world coming to ?
.. or ya all just know I'm right?
Old 11-27-2017, 12:29 AM

Others would argue one only needs a 270 to take all game animals in the lower 48, except grizzlies. Mine will only serve a specific niche, antelope. The 308 / '06 for all others. To keep Elmer happy, I've been looking for a 35 Whelen for hogs, another niche rifle i probably don't "need", but want. Thinking a lot of the youngsters here have no clue about the epic debates between the Keith and O'conner camps.
Old 11-27-2017, 6:40 AM

i was at Turners Kearny Mesa at 8:15 friday. I got #47 at the gun counter,now serving #23.....i stuck it out and by the time my number came up they had two Compass .223 rifles left....i got one of them. They sold probably 75 guns while i was there. After your dros there was another line to the cashier with at least 40 people in it........Mike
Old 11-27-2017, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostersgt View Post
Others would argue one only needs a 270 to take all game animals in the lower 48, except grizzlies. Mine will only serve a specific niche, antelope. The 308 / '06 for all others. To keep Elmer happy, I've been looking for a 35 Whelen for hogs, another niche rifle i probably don't "need", but want. Thinking a lot of the youngsters here have no clue about the epic debates between the Keith and O'conner camps.
35 Whelen..................
Just when I thought you were getting "soft in the shoulder"
you go and TOTALLY REDEEM yourself.
You should do it!
The 35 Whelen and the 350 rem mag both hold an allure for me.
Old 11-27-2017, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
i was at Turners Kearny Mesa at 8:15 friday. I got #47 at the gun counter,now serving #23.....i stuck it out and by the time my number came up they had two Compass .223 rifles left....i got one of them. They sold probably 75 guns while i was there. After your dros there was another line to the cashier with at least 40 people in it........Mike
T/c seems to have paid more attention to the bolt throw than the others ... I bet the .223 sells a bunch
Old 11-27-2017, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMG View Post
35 Whelen..................
Just when I thought you were getting "soft in the shoulder"
you go and TOTALLY REDEEM yourself.
You should do it!
The 35 Whelen and the 350 rem mag both hold an allure for me.
This guy made me want a .338 Win Mag & 44 mag. This guy made me want a Remington 600 or 660 in 350 Rem mag. Still haven't got one, but do have 338 & 44.
Old 11-27-2017, 1:35 PM

Quote:
This guy made me want a .338 Win Mag & 44 mag. This guy made me want a Remington 600 or 660 in 350 Rem mag. Still haven't got one, but do have 338 & 44.
The 350 rem mag was ahead of it's time I think .....but the 35's and 33's of course make things happen
BUT......
make no mistake my friend, you are what they call ... "way macho" ....and I have your new "walk out song"

Last edited by WMG; 11-27-2017 at 1:44 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMG View Post
The 350 rem mag was ahead of it's time I think .....but the 35's and 33's of course make things happen
BUT......
make no mistake my friend, you are what they call ... "way macho" ....and I have your new "walk out song"
Nah, the way macho guys shoot 338 Lapua and 460 S&W or bigger.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varg Vikernes View Post
I think Bass Pro has the same price at BF

edit: never been to a Turners but they just opened one up in the Bay Area, do they sell powder?
Did they open? I've only seen notices saying they were hiring. Never seen an opening date.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
Did they open? I've only seen notices saying they were hiring. Never seen an opening date.
Salinas is open. I'm not sure if they are opening anymore up there.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 11-28-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Nah, the way macho guys shoot 338 Lapua and 460 S&W or bigger.
wait .. stop the car for a second ...... so you are way macho AND modest?
it just keeps getting even better with you doesn't it
I understand the 44mag thing , I'm a recovering 44holic myself.
Old 12-19-2017, 9:09 AM

TC says the Compass rifle's trigger can be adjusted down to 3.5 lb break. My Compass came to me with 5.5-6 lb pull. I took the stock off to have a go at adjusting trigger down and found that it was already adjusted down as far as possible. The Compass trigger is identical to the old Winchester Model 70 trigger, so i ordered a Model 70 target trigger spring from Ernie's Gunsmithing. It took a total of ten minutes to change the spring, including disassembly and reassembly of reciever to stock. Did all the safety checks and everything's good, NOW my trigger breaks at 3.5 lbs. Not bad for $6.95 plus shipping. I also don't much like black stocks so i did a krylon camo job on the stock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compass.jpg (89.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 01-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Rebate still kicking till April 18.

KYGC still has some if you need to order and send to an FFL... lowest cost will be around $265 ($190 after rebate) cash / e-check free shipping, plus fees and tax when it gets to your FFL.

https://www.kygunco.com/productgroup?name=Compass
Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Calguns Addict

5/824 threads on anything above a .243 is what I read... Any ideas on a reasonably priced brake that'd work on the thin barrel contour on a .308 ?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Any ideas on a reasonably priced brake
Those things should be banned (I'm joking, sorta). I lost about 10% of what's left of my hearing a few days ago shooting next to someone with a brake.

A good recoil pad would handle the recoil without losing friends at the range.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Those things should be banned (I'm joking, sorta).
These aren't loud at the line anyway.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw...ear308-blk.htm
Old 01-09-2018, 3:43 PM

Just bought a TC Compass .308 for $275 at Turners Torrance they had it brought in from San Bernardino. There are still a few more out there in .30-06 and .308 that people cancelled and are in the discontinued PDF. Call around. And yes TC has a new rebate Jan-April for a $75 Mastercard rebate. Oh and no lines. Schwing!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh View Post
Just bought a TC Compass .308 for $275 at Turners Torrance they had it brought in from San Bernardino.
Nice... I got a .308 from Kentucky Gun Co... incoming, shipped free. I have a .308 bolt gun, but this one will be light compared to a 700P.
Old 01-09-2018, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh View Post
Just bought a TC Compass .308 for $275 at Turners Torrance they had it brought in from San Bernardino. There are still a few more out there in .30-06 and .308 that people cancelled and are in the discontinued PDF. Call around. And yes TC has a new rebate Jan-April for a $75 Mastercard rebate. Oh and no lines. Schwing!!!
I can't seem to find the PDF file. Do you have it or a link to it?

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

Old 01-09-2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Anything that flys at close to 3K fps is going to do that.
More web BS... a .223 or 6mmbr or . . . .. is a barrel burner ? Edited for civility

Last edited by Flouncer; 01-09-2018 at 8:14 PM.. Reason: cuz
Old 01-10-2018, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

My buddy has two of these from this round of sales. 30-06 and 6.5 Creedmoor... sighted in with glass and got .39" group for the 30-06 with a handload, and .57" for Prime 130 grain 6.5 (3-shot 100 yards).

Seems pretty decent.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
My buddy has two of these from this round of sales. 30-06 and 6.5 Creedmoor... sighted in with glass and got .39" group for the 30-06 with a handload, and .57" for Prime 130 grain 6.5 (3-shot 100 yards).

Seems pretty decent.
That's real nice. Especially for a $200 rifle.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
That's real nice. Especially for a $200 rifle.

Yeah I saw the groups... 30-06 were all touching, very nice.
Old 01-10-2018, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I got some Tally mounts - the lightweight model with the mount and ring as one piece... low extended 30mm. They have quite a selection for the Compass. I'll end up using a 42mm or 44mm scope I have waiting for rifles... a Viper, Viper HS-LR, or SWFA SS. Probably the one that sits lowest on those rings, haha. Hope it will be a great bargain shooter with Fed GMM 168.
Old 01-23-2018, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Rebate still kicking till April 18.
Link to current Rebate offer - https://www.smithandwessonrebates.com/#/home
Old 01-31-2018, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

What an easy rebate to submit online too. Takes about 3 minutes if you have a scanner handy or your phone to take pics of receipt and box label. Got my rifle yesterday so I finally had the UPC in hand, submitted today. Last time I looked on KYGCO they still had the .308's for $272. Also have the 30-06 and the .204 Ruger for the promo price that dealers were getting. It'll be gone once they sell those out, FYI.

Glad they don't have any more 300 Win Mag or I'd have to figure out a way to afford one more.

Last edited by crufflers; 01-31-2018 at 6:11 PM..
Old 01-31-2018, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Setup with Talley mounts (low ext) and 44mm scope. Viper 6.5-20x44.
Old 02-05-2018, 7:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Mammoth Arms comp matches well.
Old 02-05-2018, 8:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Setup with Talley mounts (low ext) and 44mm scope. Viper 6.5-20x44.
Quote:

Mammoth Arms comp matches well.
I like what you've done with all the extra money you had after buying a $199 rifle.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 PM

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...HOMPSON-CENTER

Check out selection. 338winmag also available $229 after rebate. Free shipping / no tax.