Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 PM

Default issued M9 down range with only 50 rounds ever through one

But i managed to qual with 39/40. easy peasy. Never shot an M9 until now. I haven't even field stripped it yet. I wasn't issued a cleaning kit. So I will have to put one together.

We were told we were getting Glocks but since we had to draw our issue form CRC that wasn't going to ever be the case. We lucked out enough avoiding M-16s
Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 PM

hate that gun.
Old 01-12-2014, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerico View Post
hate that gun.
agreed
Old 01-12-2014, 8:18 AM

Carried one daily for 12 years..... If it wasn't for the UCMJ, I woulda tossed that POS in the Ocean.
Old 01-14-2014, 9:46 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

If you have an M9 that doesn't work properly you can blame poor maintenance because there is NOTHING wrong with the design of the weapon.

Example: I was issued a brand new 92F in the LE academy. Weapon never malfunctioned even after thousands of rounds, tossed in and out of lockers, rained on, etc.

Example 2: We got some military M9's for military quals in the Army Reserve. Weapons had surface rust and were so gummed up that you almost could not even rack the slide back.

Moral of the story: Feel free to hate the design or ergonomics, but have no doubt that it is one of the most reliable handguns ever made.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:54 AM

What I don't really like about the "design" is:

1) The ergonomics are horrible.
2) And this one really gets me: When the weapon is on safe, the trigger can still be pulled full motion, so itís not intuitive to me like most other guns that when there is no trigger travel the weapon is on safe. Is it empty, or is it on safe? Yes, practice of action of arms will take care of that. But itís the only pistol Iíve come across that does that.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You just got issued one and you hate it? ooookay.

I had one on my hip for 19months. It was fine. The thing is a damn work horse and we were given pretty ****ty hand-me-downs from big Army. Some even with severe rusting. They worked when we had to qual, never had a jam or stoppage and plenty of people shot expert with them. Thankfully we never had to use them for defensive purposes but I felt confident that if I needed to, she would go bang when I pulled the trigger and hit where I was aiming.
The thing works!
As far as your complaints, why would it matter if you can pull the trigger on safe? You shouldn't put your finger on the trigger unless you're prepared to shoot. Is it empty? No firearm is EVER empty. Is it on safe? Well you're the one in control, you should know that and every time it goes in your holster it should be holstered the same way.
This isn't some master mil mojo, I am an NRA pistol instructor also and honestly, any civilian instructor would be telling you the same thing.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:53 PM

The M9 / B-92 design is a little big and heavy for its caliber but its a smooth shooter with lower recoil than other 9mm designs, leading to better than average accuracy and speed.
Make sure you strip the magazines periodically to keep sand and grit from binding your rounds, especially with the contract magazines with rough parkerized finish on the inside.
Practice drawing and pushing the safety forward as you grip, and the spring loaded safety lever will deactivate easily.
Lots of dry fire and manipulation drills will bring your confidence up.
Old 01-15-2014, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

I really hope The Marine Corps considers going back to the 1911, or move along to something like the FNX45. I hate the beretta as well.

39/40? what are your qualification requirements?