Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Default CGN/GV sweepstakes: Donate and win a full DD M4 Carbine OLL Rifle - Now with GUNPAL!

As CGN grows to 40k users, cementing itself as California's Premier Firearms Forum, our needs grow as well. Last sweepstakes was a great success: This time we're giving away a Daniel Defense M4 Carbine OLL rifle!

This is a complete Daniel Defense M4 Carbine rifle. This rifle includes your choice of a CA fixed magazine device, a C Products 10/10 magazine, and a Daniel Defense hard case. More Information from TenPercentFirearms.com

Click below to enter with GUNPAL - There is no limit to the number of tickets you may purchase.

Thanks everyone this entry period is CLOSED! There will be a drawing shortly once everything is collated and then we will announce the lucky winner.

(picture is an exemplar.) you can buy this rifle from Ten Percent Firearms.

Obligatory Legalese below! (yes, we really do have to say all of this)

OFFICIAL RULES AND CONDITIONS

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY

Void Where Prohibited

GeoVario's "6th Donate to CGN and win Sweepstakes " ("Sweepstakes") begins at 6:00 p.m. Pacific on November 6 1, 2009 and extends through 11:59 p.m. Pacific on April 25, 2010 (the "Sweepstakes Period"). The Sweepstakes is produced and sponsored by GeoVario, 1083 Vine St #215, Healdsburg, CA 95448 USA ("GeoVario").

ELIGIBILITY: The Sweepstakes is open to all legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia (other than the States of New York and Florida) who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, and representatives of GeoVario and its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and their immediate family members and persons living in their same household, are not eligible to participate in the Sweepstakes.

HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER. You may enter the Sweepstakes in one of three ways: (1) Any person who donates $10 or more to CGN server fund during the Sweepstakes Period will automatically be entered into the Sweepstakes each time a donation over $10 is made. 1 entry for every $10 donated. As used in these Official Rules and Conditions, "donate" means the successful completion of the secure deposit process by correctly entering valid payment information. You will be entered once for every donation that you confirm. (2) Send a check payable to "Ben Cannon - CGN" to GeoVario, Attn: 6th Sweepstakes Entry, 1083 Vine St #215, Healdsburg, CA 95448 USA. (3) Alternatively, you may enter the Sweepstakes by submitting a 3x5 card upon which is printed by hand your name, address, telephone number, email address, age and the words "6th Donate to CGN and win Sweepstakes" to: GeoVario, Attn: Sweepstakes Entry, 1083 Vine St #215, Healdsburg, CA 95448 USA. Mechanically reproduced entries are void. One entry per postcard or confirmed donation. All postcard entries become the exclusive property of GeoVario, and will not be acknowledged or returned. Except where Prohibited, postcard entries may be published in their entirety. Except where prohibited, postcard entries must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. By entering, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and Conditions and the decisions of GeoVario, which shall be final. GeoVario reserves the right to disqualify entrants who violate the Official Rules and Conditions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Ben Cannon will retain ownership of the server equipment for liability reasons. Ben Cannon through his company GeoVario currently donates all hosting for calguns.net, in exchange for in-kind advertising. GV is not a Derek, and we don't own calguns.net or thehighroad.us or .org. This is being conducted by Ben Cannon, with the permission but no other involvement of the owners of calguns.net and thehighroad.us All transfers of firearms must comply with all state federal local and municipal laws. Any attempts to circumvent said laws, by any parties including law enforcement, will result in civil and criminal prosecution. This is not a tax deductible charitable donation and is not being conducted by The Calguns Foundation, or by any other nonprofit.

PRIZES: One winner will be chosen in a random drawing from all eligible entries received during the sweepstakes period to receive one DD M4 OLL Rifle or cash equivalent (the "Prizes"), in accordance with all law. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. The Prize is nontransferable. All federal, state and local taxes, fees and surcharges will be the sole responsibility of the Prize winners.

SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS: The winners of the Prizes shall be selected in a random drawing from all eligible entries received during the Sweepstakes Period. The drawing shall occur within 10 days after the end of the Sweepstakes Period and will be conducted by an independent third party, but under the supervision of GeoVario, whose decisions are final and binding. The Prize winners will be notified by email. In the event that any email notification is returned as undelivered, GeoVario will attempt to re-send the notice up to 5 times. If any winner fails to respond to email notification within 3 days of its transmission, or if the email notification remains undeliverable after 5 attempts, or if postal mail notification is returned as undeliverable, the prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner selected. GeoVario is not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, misdirected or unsuccessful efforts to notify winners.

NOTICE: GeoVario reserves the right to prosecute and seek damages against any individual who attempts to deliberately undermine the proper operation of the Sweepstakes in violation of these Official Rules and Conditions and/or criminal and/or civil law.

The Prize winners will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility within 10 days of acknowledged notification. Unless a resident of Tennessee or where otherwise prohibited by law, the Prize winners will be required to sign and return a Publicity Consent and Liability Release Agreement within 10 days of acknowledged notification. By accepting and/or using the Prize, the winners agree to the use of their names, likenesses, and/or voices without compensation in publicity and advertising concerning GeoVario. Failure to return the completed and executed Affidavit and Agreement within the time specified or to comply with any provision of these Official Rules and Conditions may, in GeoVario's sole discretion, result in a winner's disqualification and forfeiture of his or her interest in the Prize, and the award of the Prize to an alternate winner.

PRIVACY: See GeoVario's privacy policy for information on data collection and use practices.

CONDITIONS: The Sweepstakes shall be governed by the laws of the United States. All applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited.

GeoVario and its affiliates, representatives, agents, directors, officers, shareholders and employees are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: (i) late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, inaccurate, incomplete, or unintelligible entries; (ii) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, internet, computer or other malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind, whether human or technical; (iii) failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions; (iv) any condition caused by events beyond the control of GeoVario; (v) any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising in connection with or as a result of the prize, or acceptance, possession, or use of the prize, or from participation in the Sweepstakes; or (vi) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Sweepstakes. GeoVario reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend, modify or cancel this Sweepstakes at any time if a computer virus, bug, or other technical problem or cause beyond their control corrupts the administration, security, or proper function of the Sweepstakes.

By participating in the Sweepstakes, participants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless GeoVario and its affiliates, representatives, agents, directors, officers, shareholders and employees from any and all liability from any injures, losses, or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with the Sweepstakes or the acceptance or use of any prize.

WINNERS LIST: To obtain the name of the Sweepstakes Winner, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope marked "6th Donate to CGN and win Sweepstakes WINNERS LIST" to GeoVario, Attn: Winners List, 1083 Vine St #215, Healdsburg, CA 95448 USA. Requests must be received no later than 30 days following the end of the Sweepstakes Period.

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.

Last edited by artherd; 04-26-2010 at 12:02 AM..
Old 11-06-2009, 8:35 PM
Banned

who won the last raffle?
Old 11-06-2009, 9:17 PM

^^ who won?
Old 11-06-2009, 9:37 PM

So who won the last raffle?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 PM

Damn, I want that....
Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCo View Post
So who won the last raffle?
Yeah, who did win the last raffle?

--B
Old 11-06-2009, 10:05 PM

I'm in for a ticket. Looks like a nice rifle. The Gunpal order page says this goes to the server fund, no mention of a raffle ticket. Just want to make sure this is correct.

--B
Old 11-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artherd View Post

Click below to enter with GUNPAL - There is no limit to the number of tickets you may purchase. For connivence sake we've made some 2,5, and 10-packs of tickets available ...

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
I want to enter and I don't want to purchase...but I still have to purchase a ticket? I don't get this.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Dawg® View Post
I want to enter and I don't want to purchase...but I still have to purchase a ticket? I don't get this.
Read the included rules and you will find the below in the "How to enter" section;
Quote:
(3) Alternatively, you may enter the Sweepstakes by submitting a 3x5 card upon which is printed by hand your name, address, telephone number, email address, age and the words "6th Donate to CGN and win Sweepstakes" to: GeoVario, Attn: Sweepstakes Entry, 1083 Vine St #215, Healdsburg, CA 95448 USA. Mechanically reproduced entries are void. One entry per postcard or confirmed donation. All postcard entries become the exclusive property of GeoVario, and will not be acknowledged or returned. Except where Prohibited, postcard entries may be published in their entirety. Except where prohibited, postcard entries must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Though I believe the only way to include a SASE with the postcard is to send the postcard (with SASE) in another envelope.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Calguns Addict

User Patman won the Sig, he's selected .40cal - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=194133

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwdiy View Post
Yeah, who did win the last raffle?

--B

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 11-07-2009, 1:32 PM

now this one i really want

hopefully my first .223/5.56

Last edited by jarhead995; 11-08-2009 at 11:48 AM..
Old 11-07-2009, 3:12 PM

in for 1! all i can get my dad has something against rifles
Old 11-07-2009, 3:41 PM

Quote:
(1) Any person who donates $10 or more to CGN server fund ..
so this is for another server?
Old 11-07-2009, 4:59 PM

Ticket purchase completed via GUNPAL

Last edited by Vectrexer; 11-07-2009 at 5:02 PM..
Old 11-07-2009, 5:10 PM

Hope I win.
Old 11-07-2009, 5:14 PM

2010, i have a while to enter
Old 11-07-2009, 5:38 PM

Donated/entered!
Old 11-07-2009, 5:47 PM

and now i see april 25 well thats a long wait..
Old 11-07-2009, 5:48 PM

Old 11-07-2009, 8:10 PM

I want to buy tickets but don't want to join GunPal. Is there a way to buy tickets through a credit card?
Old 11-07-2009, 9:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Transaction Details (GUNPAL Transaction ID: 7ED14B4F10)
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 11-07-2009, 9:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_name View Post
so this is for another server?
Several, plus costs to run 'em. GV eats quite a bit of money each month hosting CGN at no charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspam1 View Post
I want to buy tickets but don't want to join GunPal. Is there a way to buy tickets through a credit card?
You can use GP with just your CC. If you really wanted to you could delete your CC afterwords I suppose. The signup process at GP is really quite painless - and no bank account required.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:

You can use GP with just your CC. If you really wanted to you could delete your CC afterwords I suppose. The signup process at GP is really quite painless - and no bank account required.
Credit Cards don't require I furnish my birth date too. Heck, even PayPal doesn't need my birthday. Too much information required to buy some raffle tickets.

Too bad some genius hasn't yet figured out a way to buy goods and services over the internet with just a credit card. . .
Old 11-08-2009, 2:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's a raffle for a gun, not a cherry pie... DOB is required, get over it.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 11-08-2009, 8:37 AM

Default ticket prices?

ok, dumb question folks.
i cant seem to see a price listed for the raffle tickets anywhere. can anyone tell me what they are runnig.

trying to figure out how many i can squeeze by the wife.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Just bought a ticket.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanaseri View Post
ok, dumb question folks.
i cant seem to see a price listed for the raffle tickets anywhere. can anyone tell me what they are runnig.

trying to figure out how many i can squeeze by the wife.
$10 each
Old 11-08-2009, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in for 5.
Old 11-08-2009, 2:46 PM
Very Nice Honey Badger
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default PayPal?

In the past, PayPal has been acceptable - can it be used for this also?

Thanks,
Mitch

DO NOT Use Amazon Smile! Use Shop42A.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of law breaking is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Here, let me Google that for you ... :)

No, no, that would be cruel.
Old 11-08-2009, 3:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Default I'll try to win again.

10 tickets purchased via Gunpal: "GUNPAL Transaction ID: 7ED14AE5FC"
Old 11-08-2009, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiselchst View Post

Thanks,
Mitch
why would Ben want to support PayPal when he now has GunPal up and running?

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
why would Ben want to support PayPal when he now has GunPal up and running?
I actually would if they'd let me - my fiduciary duty to calguns.net and GeoVario is separate from my duties at GUNPAL.

(things get interesting and complex when you have more than 1 pony)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiselchst View Post

Thanks,
Mitch
Actually, Paypal still has some of our money from the last time... Needless to say PayPal is not acceptable.

Last edited by artherd; 11-08-2009 at 11:46 PM..
Old 11-09-2009, 4:23 AM

How many tickets will be sold? If you don't mind, I'll post a link for this raffle on my site.
Old 11-09-2009, 7:00 AM

Is the winner able to receive the carbine in a left-hand configuration?
Old 11-09-2009, 7:09 AM
Veteran Member

Since these benefit CGN, not CGF should these be in a section other than 2A, Politics, and Laws? Might get more traffic in general gun discussion.

NRA EPL Member
Visit my blogBullets in the Wash
Old 11-09-2009, 8:45 AM

Quote:
HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER. You may enter the Sweepstakes in one of three ways: (1) Any person who donates $10 or more to CGN server fund during the Sweepstakes Period will automatically be entered into the Sweepstakes each time a donation over $10 is made. 1 entry for every $10 donated. As used in these Official Rules and Conditions, "donate" means the successful completion of the secure deposit process by correctly entering valid payment information. You will be entered once for every donation that you confirm. (2) Send a check payable to "Ben Cannon - CGN" to GeoVario, Attn: 6th Sweepstakes Entry, 1083 Vine St #215, Healdsburg, CA 95448 USA. (3) Alternatively, you may enter the Sweepstakes by submitting a 3x5 card upon which is printed by hand your name, address, telephone number, email address, age and the words "6th Donate to CGN and win Sweepstakes" to: GeoVario, Attn: Sweepstakes Entry, 1083 Vine St #215, Healdsburg, CA 95448 USA. Mechanically reproduced entries are void. One entry per postcard or confirmed donation.
I was interested in making a donation by check but there are at least two problem with the rules for people entering by check.

First, "donate" is defined only as using the "secure deposit process" (which I assume means gunpal.net). That means that by definition sending a check is not considered a donation for purposes of contest entry.

Second, the entire section defining $10 per entry is specific to section (1) (the gunpal section). Nothing in section (2) states how much is required per entry for checks, merely that "a check payable" should be sent. That implies it is one entry per check (regardless of amount).

But then the whole thing closes by saying "One entry per postcard or confirmed donation." But checks don't require postcards, and checks aren't considered donations, so I don't even know if checks are considered entries.

Can someone repost the rules with these problems cleaned up?

Last edited by Monoz; 11-09-2009 at 8:49 AM..
Old 11-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead995 View Post
now this one i really want

hopefully my first .223/5.56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead995 View Post
in for 1! all i can get my dad has something against rifles
Um, IIRC jarhead995 is 14. I'm "fairly sure" Ben isn't jarhead's dad (unless Ben has anything he needs to confess ), and I suspect neither he nor GV has a special dispensation to violate the law. I suppose the only way this could work would be if the rifle were transferred to his dad first--but if his dad "has something against rifles" how likely is this?

Jarhead, as a minor interested in guns, you really need to learn the California and Federal rules about minors and guns before you accidentally get yourself into real trouble. If you find them oppressive, feel free to join the fight, but know how to live within them in the meantime. Dad's rules, too.

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Calguns Addict

"Donate and win a full DD M4 Carbine OLL Rifle - Now with GUNPAL! "

So, this rifle is classed as a Destructive Device by BATFE? A DD M4 is all the more cool, but aren't there a couple of extra legal complications?

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspam1 View Post
Too bad some genius hasn't yet figured out a way to buy goods and services over the internet with just a credit card. . .
Theft and fraud would flourish in a system like that.

Gunpal looks just as secure as any other payment processing service. I'll be buying some tickets soon.
Old 11-09-2009, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoz View Post
I was interested in making a donation by check but there are at least two problem with the rules for people entering by check.

First, "donate" is defined only as using the "secure deposit process" (which I assume means gunpal.net). That means that by definition sending a check is not considered a donation for purposes of contest entry.

Second, the entire section defining $10 per entry is specific to section (1) (the gunpal section). Nothing in section (2) states how much is required per entry for checks, merely that "a check payable" should be sent. That implies it is one entry per check (regardless of amount).

But then the whole thing closes by saying "One entry per postcard or confirmed donation." But checks don't require postcards, and checks aren't considered donations, so I don't even know if checks are considered entries.

Can someone repost the rules with these problems cleaned up?

i think it's obvious that the check needs to be $10. it says in there somewhere near the top that you get one entry per $10. a check is a secured payment because it comes with all the info on it. you're trying to find fault that isn't there. donations need to be at least $10 to enter, and it told you you could send a check so it will count as an entry, and the checks and postcards thing......those are seperate ways of entering the raffle. send a check, OR send a postcard (obviously the cheapest way to go), OR use Gunpal. dont dig too hard, it's all right there in front of you.

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Closed Thread