Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 03-31-2018, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

Default Knife sharpening in the Central Coast?

Aside from using my knives as tools, I've never done any sharpening, servicing, dismantling, etc.

Which brings me to my question - does anyone know of a shop/person offering services for sharpening one's blade in central CA?

My gerber has been used and abused and has gone on 3 tours with me; it's +13 years old and even though it can still cut, the blade has a small chip and is somewhat dull to me.

I'd try it myself but I wouldn't know where to start and would hate to mess it up.

https://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Au...nife_30-000850
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 03-31-2018, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
Aside from using my knives as tools, I've never done any sharpening, servicing, dismantling, etc.

Which brings me to my question - does anyone know of a shop/person offering services for sharpening one's blade in central CA?

My gerber has been used and abused and has gone on 3 tours with me; it's +13 years old and even though it can still cut, the blade has a small chip and is somewhat dull to me.

I'd try it myself but I wouldn't know where to start and would hate to mess it up.

Following. I have a few spydercos and Sogs id love to sharpen. Tried it with a walmart sharpenee on a chinese little pocket knife from snapon. It was not a good outcome.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 7:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
Following. I have a few spydercos and Sogs id love to sharpen. Tried it with a walmart sharpenee on a chinese little pocket knife from snapon. It was not a good outcome.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Would hate to destroy my knife since it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

I'm always breaking **** cause I 'don't know my own strength' sometimes, even happened at work yesterday
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 03-31-2018, 7:31 AM

Default Blade tech

Good day. Shawn with Blade Tech is a master, he is usually at local farmers markets. He sharpens for a lot of local chefs around the peninsula. You can find him on Fb.
http://www.bladetechusa.com/

Last edited by Central coast; 03-31-2018 at 7:34 AM.. Reason: Adding link
Old 03-31-2018, 7:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central coast View Post
Good day. Shawn with Blade Tech is a master, he is usually at local farmers markets. He sharpens for a lot of local chefs around the peninsula. You can find him on Fb.
http://www.bladetechusa.com/
I don't do FB, but I sent him an email.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2018, 8:26 AM

Quote:

Maybe get some junk knife and learn to sharpen with it? I mean to each their own, but I think it's one of those skills that one should possess and it's very rewarding, and very simple.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Q...rco+sharpmaker
Old 03-31-2018, 7:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Im in Salinas and have a ton of sharpening stuff and a Kalamazoo slack belt grinder.

Cant promise anything on the chip till Ive seen it.

I also have a set of wa****a (lol! CGs censor: pronounced wah-sheet-ah) soft, hard, and black hard Arkansas stones, Spyderco ceramic stones, DMT bench stones, a Spyderco Sharpmaker, bunch of other stuff, so could give you pretty much the kind of edge you want. I prefer convex (Appleseed cross section) because its stronger, and easier to maintain, but sometimes Ill put a micro bevel on top of that.

A combo edge needs to be sharpened in two stages. I have a DMT diamond file for the serrations, and would do the other portion on a stone or the belt.

PM if you like. Dont worry about cash, Im into reloading so we could work something out trade wise worth a few bucks. Not a big deal regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 03-31-2018 at 7:13 PM..
Old 03-31-2018, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk556 View Post
Maybe get some junk knife and learn to sharpen with it? I mean to each their own, but I think it's one of those skills that one should possess and it's very rewarding, and very simple.
I get it, but considering how long I've had this knife and the fact that it's never been sharpened before, I doubt I'll need this service for another 10 years or so.

I would rather shoot, reload, or spend time with my significant other versus learning how to sharpen a knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
I’m in Salinas and have a ton of sharpening stuff and a Kalamazoo slack belt grinder.

Can’t promise anything on the chip till I’ve seen it.

I also have a set of wa****a (lol! CG’s censor: pronounced “wah-sheet-ah”) soft, hard, and black hard Arkansas stones, Spyderco ceramic stones, DMT bench stones, a Spyderco Sharpmaker, bunch of other stuff, so could give you pretty much the kind of edge you want. I prefer convex (Appleseed cross section) because its stronger, and easier to maintain, but sometimes I’ll put a micro bevel on top of that.

A combo edge needs to be sharpened in two stages. I have a DMT diamond file for the serrations, and would do the other portion on a stone or the belt.

PM if you like. Don’t worry about cash, I’m into reloading so we could work something out trade wise worth a few bucks. Not a big deal regardless.

Much of this is greek to me lol

I'll have to hit you up and see what you can do to help me out. Will attach some pictures of the damage and really, just getting it sharpened up should be good enough.

Maybe I'll just buy another to replace this one. Only thing is, even though I have a MIL/LEO account with Gerber, I don't know if they'll sell me one of their MIL/LEO-only knives anymore.
Old 03-31-2018, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Some pictures...

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 9:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Some pictures...

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

No problem, that looks doable. Wed just have to smooth out that notch a bit to get the serration back. The front isnt a problem.

And if you want a backup, Im sure Gerber will still sell you one at the MIL/LEO price. You might find them elsewhere online as well. I always buy from Knife Center, but Im not sure they still carry this model.

Im not LEO but have several autos and auto conversions, and they had no problem shipping to CA. My son is LEO and he usually rotates through them as fast as I can get them.

LMK if youd like me to take a pass at this guy. No problem either way.

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Old 03-31-2018, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
No problem, that looks doable. Wed just have to smooth out that notch a bit to get the serration back. The front isnt a problem.

And if you want a backup, Im sure Gerber will still sell you one at the MIL/LEO price. You might find them elsewhere online as well. I always buy from Knife Center, but Im not sure they still carry this model.

Im not LEO but have several autos and auto conversions, and they had no problem shipping to CA. My son is LEO and he usually rotates through them as fast as I can get them.

LMK if youd like me to take a pass at this guy. No problem either way.

My only concern was the serration, but if it's doable then I'm stoked to bring this thing back to life!

I've been using my Emerson in the meantime but would like to use my Gerber as my EDC again.

As for Gerber selling me one at the MIL/LEO price, I'm entitled to that for life as long as the purchases I make are for myself and not for resale/etc. I'm just not sure they'll sell me a MIL/LEO-only knife being that I'm not MIL/LEO anymore. . I just can't buy an automatic knife from them since I'm not current MIL/LEO anymore

Last edited by Kwikvette; 03-31-2018 at 9:26 PM..
Old 04-01-2018, 6:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My only concern was the serration, but if it's doable then I'm stoked to bring this thing back to life!

I've been using my Emerson in the meantime but would like to use my Gerber as my EDC again.

As for Gerber selling me one at the MIL/LEO price, I'm entitled to that for life as long as the purchases I make are for myself and not for resale/etc. I'm just not sure they'll sell me a MIL/LEO-only knife being that I'm not MIL/LEO anymore. . I just can't buy an automatic knife from them since I'm not current MIL/LEO anymore

Got it, but other knife outlets will sell autos without asking about it. They just leave it up to the buyer to know and abide by the law.

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Old 04-01-2018, 1:43 PM

Location: Where everyone wants to live, the USA. I am in Cali.

THIS.
I was about to recommend the Sharpmaker. Quick, this is hard to mess up with. 3 grit stones available. The 2 grits it comes with does a wonderful job. The 3rd/ex-fine stone will polish the blade. It just works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
Old 04-04-2018, 10:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Brass View Post
THIS.

I was about to recommend the Sharpmaker. Quick, this is hard to mess up with. 3 grit stones available. The 2 grits it comes with does a wonderful job. The 3rd/ex-fine stone will polish the blade. It just works.

I got one of these years ago when you could get diamond sleeves for them. They do work well, but some people disagree with the angle of the rods.

AG Russell makes a very nice field sharpener with a similar design, but uses a 30 degree compound angle to the sticks:

https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russ...rpener--AG3750

Both work well; the Sharpmaker has the advantage of being able to handle serrated edges as well, just takes a bit of time to get in each groove.

NRA Certified Instructor
CRPA Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 04-05-2018 at 5:58 AM..