Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 9:24 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Do you have what it takes to join the FIRST Calguns.net / CGSSA Shooting Team?

We're looking for one accomplished shooter to join in a team of three to compete in GSSF matches for 2013 season. This will be an Amateur team competing is the Amateur Civilian Division.

Criteria

1. ) You must be a member of Calguns.net in good standing.

2.) You must be a member of GSSF (GLOCK Sport Shooting Foundation) in good standing.

3.) You must have shot in at least three (3) prior GSSF matches and scored sub 100.00 seconds (including penalties) for any given division.

4.) You must be an Amateur shooter according to GSSF Rule 170.30.

5.) You must own and shoot an eligible GLOCK pistol according to GSSF Rule 40.0

6.) You must be willing to attend a minimum of four (4) of the following six matches in 2013. Yolo, CA (03/16 & 03/17), Norco, CA (04/06 & 04/07), Reno, NV (05/04 & 05/05), Richmond, CA (08/24 & 08/25), Conyers, GA (09/21 & 09/22), Tucson, AZ (10/26 & 10/27), Piru, CA (11/02 & 11/03).

7.) As a member of the team, you will be responsible for maintaining an active GSSF membership, transportation to and from the match, any accommodations required if the match requires an overnight stay, and any food or drinks consumed during the course of a given match. Don't worry, there are two other members of the team that will be heading to the match with you, so carpooling, and accommodation sharing opportunities will be available.

*If you're not sure if you meet the above criteria, please refer to the pertinent sections of the GLOCK Report for clarification.

Compensation

As a member of the Calguns / CGSSA Shooting Team you be representing the entire Calguns /CGSSA community throughout California and neighboring states. You will be reimbursed for the cost of entry for the Amateur Civilian Division ($25), the cost of the required 109 rounds of Ammunition it takes to compete in the division, and the Team Entry Fee ($10 Per team).

If, after reading the above, you feel that you meet the requirements and are interested in joining the first ever Calguns.net shooting team send a PM to RoundEye with the following information:

1.) First & Last Name
2.) Contact Phone Number & Email Address.
3.) What matches (2012/2013) you would like used for score verification.
4.) What model of GLOCK pistol you plan to use to compete.
5.) A brief blurb about why you like and shoot GSSF, and why you feel you would make a great addition to the team.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 01-30-2013, 9:52 PM

I'd love to do this but I don't shoot a Glock. If you guys ever decide to make a team that competes in non-Glock matches please let me know!

Last edited by Mazdaspeed Jon; 01-30-2013 at 10:14 PM..
Old 01-30-2013, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

Pretty neat, too bad I don't qualify!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

you should start a rifle team!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Too bad Im a "Master" :/
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed Jon View Post
I'd love to do this but I don't shoot a Glock. If you guys ever decide to make a team that competes in non-Glock matches please let me know!
For sure. The main reason GSSF was chosen is that the three team members will compete as a team and not just individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus343 View Post
you should start a rifle team!
Hmmmm... Are there any NRA, CMP, or other team rifle matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
Too bad Im a "Master" :/
Well, you have to start somewhere. If things go well, there may very well be a Master Team in the future.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I would start a multigun team. But I would rather it be a CGF team than a CGN team.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelogic View Post
I would start a multigun team.
Again, the reason GSSF was chosen is because they allow team entries. In IDPA, USPA/IPSC everyone competes individually.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I understand but isn't the point of the team to wear team jerseys? ie, advertise the cause.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
Again, the reason GSSF was chosen is because they allow team entries. In IDPA, USPA/IPSC everyone competes individually.
Since GSSF bumps you immediately when you have won your guns, it might be hard to keep the roster intact in Amateur for the required matches.

I assume you'll have a bunch of backups if/when the original guys get bumped to Master?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
I understand but isn't the point of the team to wear team jerseys? ie, advertise the cause.
There will be Jerseys, and they'll be advertising plenty. Calguns is a community and competing/winning as a team exemplifies that.

Quote:
Since GSSF bumps you immediately when you have won your guns, it might be hard to keep the roster intact in Amateur for the required matches.

I assume you'll have a bunch of backups if/when the original guys get bumped to Master?
That is true, but there have been people shooting GSSF as an Amateur for years and not made Master let alone making it in six matches. It's not just that they win three guns (random guns don't count) they have to win them based on performance. I guess it's possible the whole team or part of the team could be bumped to master, but we'll have to cross that bridge if it presents itself. For now we're just looking for one shooter to complete the roster.

I like the idea of having people on stand by just in case.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

hmm..... time for me to give into the Glock kool-aid and buy one????

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
2013 Colt 3 Man 3-Gun Championships!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENRuLxNGqhc

Which is more fun, that or GSSF? :P
Old 01-31-2013, 4:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
2013 Colt 3 Man 3-Gun Championships!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENRuLxNGqhc

Which is more fun, that or GSSF? :P
You first have to learn to fly a Piper Cub before taking the stick in an F-22.
Old 01-31-2013, 7:49 AM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Exactly! Well put Highlander.
Old 01-31-2013, 8:13 AM

Man... I heard about GSSF a few months back and told myself to look into it even though I was still in school... Should have at least looked into it... :[

AR owner
Glock owner
Mosin owner
Old 01-31-2013, 8:24 AM

Are we starting a "farm team/AAA/minors" where those of us that have not dipped a toe in the waters can develop some skills. This looks like a hoot!
Old 01-31-2013, 8:53 AM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmonster View Post
Man... I heard about GSSF a few months back and told myself to look into it even though I was still in school... Should have at least looked into it... :[
It's not too late. In the future, the current team will become a Master Team, and then we may be looking for another Amateur Team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smogcity View Post
Are we starting a "farm team/AAA/minors" where those of us that have not dipped a toe in the waters can develop some skills. This looks like a hoot!
No, "farm team" or "skill building" team in the plans at the moment. If you interested in competition, it would be best to hone your skills individually before attempting to add the team element.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:20 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Would love to participate, but I can't make four matches this year. At best, I could make Yolo, Richmond, and Reno.

Otherwise, I qualify in all the other requirements.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Would love to participate, but I can't make four matches this year. At best, I could make Yolo, Richmond, and Reno.

Otherwise, I qualify in all the other requirements.
Send in your info, and we'll contact you.
Old 01-31-2013, 1:07 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
You're only bumped only after you win three guns due to performance.

Last edited by Gryff; 01-31-2013 at 2:56 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 01-31-2013, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
If you want to use the team to reach out and get a big an audience as possible, match videos and articles from the 3-gun match is more likely to get more attention than a GSSF match.

There are plenty of people on CGN that would be more than capable of shooting that match, but I totally understand if you guys want to start small and then scale it up later.
Old 01-31-2013, 1:26 PM
Cantankerous old coot

I think all interested parties should be stood up for a vote here if they are representing us!
Old 01-31-2013, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
You're only bumped only after you win three gun due to performance.
Yeah, I remembered the winning scores to be closer to 100s, but now when I checked it looks like they're more like 60, so just being under 100 isnt going to get you as close to winning a gun as I thought.
Old 01-31-2013, 1:53 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
I think all interested parties should be stood up for a vote here if they are representing us!
Hmmmm... That's a thought, but I think team dynamics have to come into play as well. What if the person selected by the board is difficult to get along with. It would be a rough drive from LA to Reno and/or Yolo.

Quote:
Yeah, I remembered the winning scores to be closer to 100s, but now when I checked it looks like they're more like 60, so just being under 100 isnt going to get you as close to winning a gun as I thought.
The 60s is about right for the West Coast. For whatever reason if you go east, the scores get faster and even down into the 40s on the East Coast.
Old 01-31-2013, 1:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hmmmm... That's a thought, but I think team dynamics have to come into play as well. What if the person selected by the board is difficult to get along with. It would be a rough drive from LA to Reno and/or Yolo.

The 60s is about right for the West Coast. For whatever reason if you go east, the scores get faster and even down into the 40s on the East Coast.
Looks like James won the Richmond match in the low 40s last year
Civilian still seems to be in the 60-70s though.
Old 01-31-2013, 2:57 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
You're forgetting that Calguns isn't a democracy (no criticism intended to Kestryl).
Old 01-31-2013, 3:14 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Just a curiousity question for the guys pushing 3 gun or USPSA type stuff here, what are the average entries at the local matches and do they have any team type competition? I mean like GSSF where 3 guys shoot for a combined score against other TEAMS?

Scott
Old 01-31-2013, 6:57 PM

I would like to but I don't qualify for rule #5.
Old 01-31-2013, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Just a curiousity question for the guys pushing 3 gun or USPSA type stuff here, what are the average entries at the local matches and do they have any team type competition? I mean like GSSF where 3 guys shoot for a combined score against other TEAMS?
Scott
Post #13?

But no, team events are not very common in USPSA/3-gun events, though they do exist.

However, whats the big difference if there's a team event or not?
The only thing that GSSF does is add three individual scores together, its not really an event, is it?

If the main purpose of the team is to win, or show up, together with the other 3-4 teams that they usually have in a GSSF match, then yeah, mission accomplished.

Advertising CGN, talking to people, making connections and promoting gun use and shooting in general isnt hinging on that single line in the results, those things are done before, during and after the match and would basically be the same in any other match, no matter if they have a team event or not.

So, I dont really see the point of picking GSSF just because they have a team event when there are other matches and events where a "team" is likely to get more visibility and publicity.

It feels more like the event was picked based on the people who were initially chosen for the team, rather than a look at how to maximize visibility and publicity. Though, I dont know the background of the team or what the stated goal is, more than participating, so I might be way off in left field here.

Either way, good luck to the team... Bring home some Glocks!
Old 01-31-2013, 9:43 PM
Calguns Addict

All of the other manufacturer teams very often have teammates competing with each other.

This is in no way meant poke holes in your idea. Its a great way to promote CGN/CGF but wouldn't you rather 10 people across the state, across disciplines, be ambassadors than 3 people on one squad at a few matches.

Multigun is the future and 3 Gun Nation was getting a large following. I can't think of a pistol show.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
CGSSA Director

I'm unsure why there is so much ill will about why this series or that series wasn't chosen and GSSF was.

There are many reasons why GSSF was chosen. The team is being jointly driven by the Calguns Shooting Sports Association which is all about grass roots events for the Calguns Community (getting people out from behind the computer and to the range). By being able to compete as a team you get three individuals out from behind the screen from potentially different walks of life and out to the range to practice and compete together (there's nothing more grass roots than that). GSSF also creates a level playing field in the Amateur divisions, where you only can be out shot by a better shooter and not a better gun. Cost was also a factor, you can sponsor a three man team in GSSF for less than $200 an event, this including entry fees, and ammunition.

As others have implied, you have to crawl before you can walk. The team 3 gun event in post#13 was $600 per team entry not including ammunition, and you need to compete in two of the three events to even be eligible for the win. I agree with you that multigun is the future of shooting sports, and if things go well, we'll get there, but it's just not going to be for the first step.

With that said if you're upset that you are competitive shooter and feel left out because you don't shoot GSSF, I'm sorry. If things go well, the Amateur team will eventually become Masters and they'll be openings for new shooters. Things may go really well and we may expand to IDPA, USPSA, and 3-Gun for 2014, or they may not and 2013 may be the beginning and the end for Team Calguns. Who knows, but you can easily shoot three matches and become eligible in a short time period, and maybe you'll even win a few guns in the process.

Last edited by RoundEye; 01-31-2013 at 11:15 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I'm unsure why there is so much ill will about why this series or that series wasn't chosen and GSSF was.

There are many reasons why GSSF was chosen. The team is being jointly driven by the Calguns Shooting Sports Association which is all about grass roots events for the Calguns Community (getting people out from behind the computer and to the range). By upbeing able to compete as a team you get three individuals out from behind the screen from potentially different walks of life and out to the range to preactice and compete together (there's nothing more frass roots than that). GSSF also creates a level playing field in the Amateur divisions, where you only can be out shot by a better shooter and not a better gun. Cost was also a factor, you can sponsor a three man team in GSSF for less than $200 an event, this including entry fees, and ammunition.

As others have implied, you have to crawl before you can walk. The team 3 gun event in post#13 was $600 per team entry not including ammunition, and you need to compete in two of the three events to even be eligible for the win. I agree with you that multigun is the future of shooting sports, and if things go well, we'll get there, but it's just not going to be for the first step.

With that said if you're upset that you are competitive shooter and feel left out because you don't shoot GSSF, I'm sorry. If things go well, the Amateur team will eventually become Masters and they'll be openings for new shooters. Things may go really well and we may expand to IDPA, USPSA, and 3-Gun for 2014, or they may not and 2013 may be the beginning and the end for Team Calguns. Who knows, but you can easily shoot three matches and become eligible in a short time period, and maybe you'll even win a few guns in the process.
I think what is most upsetting to those of us that are competitive shooters is that if we don't shoot a Glock we are automatically ineligible. Again I understand your desire to have everyone compete as a team, but you can have a team of people at varying skill levels competing in every division of an Action Pistol/USPSA/IDPA/IPSC match with the eventual goal of sweeping all divisions. I know that I personally will never own a Glock (unless they miraculously redesign one that actually fits my hand) so I will never be able to compete in GSSF.

Good luck in your first CGSSA adventure. I will continue my grassroots efforts by taking new shooters to the range, taking new competitors to my local matches, and supporting grassroots shooting sports on CGN, other forums, and through social media.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I think the question is, "What is the point of the CGN team?" If it is to spread good will why not just give out 10 jerseys and some talking points. If it is to win prizes at a lower entry cost then GSSF is a good way to go.

Like I said, we are not knocking the idea. Just having a creative discussion. Plus made there is a disconnect between calguns members on a GSSF team vs. a team of calguns shooters.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed Jon View Post
Again I understand your desire to have everyone compete as a team.

Good luck in your first CGSSA adventure.
Thank you for your understanding. As I said before when other opportunities present themselves we'll be sure to make the opportunity known.

Quote:
I think the question is, "What is the point of the CGN team?" If it is to spread good will why not just give out 10 jerseys and some talking points. If it is to win prizes at a lower entry cost then GSSF is a good way to go.

Like I said, we are not knocking the idea. Just having a creative discussion.
Well, you may not be, but there are some other that are coming off as rather bitter.

Anyway, the point behind the team is to bring the forum to life at the range. Put faces behind UserIDs/Avatars and show others who are not familiar with Calguns.net / CGSSA the camaraderie that occurs between members while working together to achieve a common goal. There is obviously going to be a marketing aspect for the forum, but it's going to be driven by the team rather than just a name on jersey in the crowd. If you've ever been to one of the monthly or big shoot you know exactly what I am referring to. Sure you can give out some jerseys, talking points, and business cards, but if the person doing the representation doesn't have a vested interest it's not going to be as effective.

With GSSF the team isn't eligible for any prizes other than a plaque if they place in the top 3, so that clearly is not a driving factor. However, they do provide cost effective way for an organization to get their feet wet in the arena of organized shooting sports.

I hope that helps provide some clarification.

Last edited by RoundEye; 01-31-2013 at 11:52 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 9:45 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Multigun is the future and 3 Gun Nation was getting a large following.
I have to completely disagree. Multigun is dynamic, and fun to watch, but it is FAR eclipsed by handgun competitions in the state (and across the country). And with ammo prices continuing to skyrocket, as well as the threat of new modern sporting rifle laws hovering over us, Pistol will continue to dominate the action shooting sports.

The GSSF choice as a first step is good because, 1) it's a small step rather than an initial over-reach, 2) it will put the logo/reps in front of a LOT of people (including many newbie shooters) since GSSF matches are well-attended, 3) the initial team selection doesn't mean that the names won't change and/or additional shooters added down the road, and 4) GSSF is probably something that the CGSSA coordinator is comfortable with. If you are going to set up something like this, you should start with a forum in which you are experienced.

It's a first step. Let them take it without all the criticism. Once the CGSSA team/program is established and running, then start arguing why it should be expanded into other flavors of shooting sports.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM

I wanna play but am ineligible due to criteria #'s 3 and 4. Sounds like a lot of fun, I'd like to tag along and learn and compete with you guys... Need a water boy? I guess I'll see you guys at Yolo or Norco!

Old 02-05-2013, 8:52 AM

Just sent in my GSSF registration yesterday. I have a glock 22 and I am interested in shooting at the competitions. I know I dont qualify for standard #3 (having shot at previous competitions), but if you still want me to join the team let me know.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 9:24 AM

Im in the same boat as lolkopter I have shot other types of matches and only just found aout about GSSF. So I paln to try and compete in the next two the one in March up north and the early April out east. So If a car pool is heading that way Ill split gas and shoot in my own.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolkopter View Post
Just sent in my GSSF registration yesterday. I have a glock 22 and I am interested in shooting at the competitions. I know I dont qualify for standard #3 (having shot at previous competitions), but if you still want me to join the team let me know.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybone View Post
Im in the same boat as lolkopter I have shot other types of matches and only just found aout about GSSF. So I paln to try and compete in the next two the one in March up north and the early April out east. So If a car pool is heading that way Ill split gas and shoot in my own.
Unofficial Calguns runner up team?

Closed Thread