Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 02-01-2016, 7:10 AM
Veteran Member

Default Best way to train a 9 year old

So I've been dating a single mom who has a son. Has had absolutely no exposure to guns in his life but he gets excited when we talk about them. I think teaching him to shoot (assuming the relationship with his mom lasts) would be a great way to bond with him. With that said, what are some tips you guys would have for me?

Im open to ideas on calipers/guns, techniques or anything else you think would be helpful in teaching the kid. Obviously I'm leaning towards something in 22lr but I'm willing to try other stuff if I think there's a good reason to do so

PS I've got two daughters of my own (still in diapers) so even if things don't workout with the kid I'd like to know this stuff for my own girls.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

I Hate California.
Old 02-01-2016, 7:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Airsoft, really you know nothing about how this young boy's mind works.

IMO if guns are the first thing you want to teach him maybe start there.

Personally I'd take him fishing & camping, firearms could be later when you know him better (have some bonding time) , but that's just me.
I need a LIFE!!

Does Appleseed exist in your area?

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Many comments I have read here are bolt action single shot .22.
Cricket was often mentioned.
Work on safety and rules before going.
Fun targets if going outdoors.

SA pistol maybe for a second trip.

Bigger calibers later.
Old 02-01-2016, 7:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I would look for both Appleseed
and do take a hunters education class...... Good info and safety practices

http://appleseedinfo.org/

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-01-2016, 7:21 AM

1.) Learn and practice the 4 rules with a toy gun.
2.) Practice the rules further with a BB gun or airsoft. Introduce eye protection and marksmanship basics.
3.) Schedule a range day when he can adequately display items 1 and 2 to your satisfaction.

Edit to add: .22s only, at least for awhile. If the kid is a natural, introduce other guns as his skill merits.

Last edited by diveRN; 02-01-2016 at 7:23 AM..
Old 02-01-2016, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveRN View Post
2.) Practice the rules further with a BB gun or airsoft. Introduce eye protection and marksmanship basics.
3.) Schedule a range day when he can adequately display items 1 and 2 to your satisfaction.

Edit to add: .22s only, at least for awhile. If the kid is a natural, introduce other guns as his skill merits.
This is sound advice. Taking the hunter safety course together is also sound advice. Whatever you do, good luck. As long as the mom supports it, it's a great way to bond.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 02-01-2016, 7:49 AM

Use archery, air soft, pellet, .22, etc as different levels/rewards. Make him recite and explain the 4 rules before any firearms training. Also the *5th rule added for youngsters, if you find a gun or a friend wants to show you one, leave and tell an adult. I personally think it's okay to allow youngsters to see and touch firearms supervised.
Old 02-01-2016, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

As others have stated, safety first. Make sure he understands the major safety points before you take him out. I make my 8yo repeat them to me on the way to shoot every time we go out.

After that, its about having fun. Take him outdoors, an indoor range is loud and scary for a first timer. Make sure you have easy to hit reactive targets. Steel plates, balloons, something that lets him know he made a hit.
Old 02-01-2016, 8:45 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Best way to train a 9 year old
Either treats or...

Swift punch to the neck.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

With my children and grandchildren, I started with safety rules until they understood them. Having them memorize is good, but understanding is better.

Before they touched a gun I did a demonstration showing them the destructive power. A cantaloupe, pumpkin, or watermelon was sacrificed for the demo. When they see it explode, it drives a point home.

Start them off with a basic single shot .22 rifle. No handguns at this point. Too many variables and things that can go wrong at this age. I am a fan of the Crickett. They make a quality rifle and as they grow, you can get adult stocks for them. The guns are accurate and you can accessorize them with scopes and bi-pods, etc. My three oldest Grandkid's each have their own Crickett, as well as a 10/22 when they get big enough. They are 8, 10, and 12 now. The oldest has just started shooting his 10/22 recently. He's starting to outgrow the stock on the Crickett, so it will get an adult stock soon. He still loves shooting the Crickett. Here are a few photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
These are my Grandkids Crickett rifles, junior sniper version. With the birth of my newest Granddaughter last month, I'm going to have to build another pink one, or maybe a purple laminate stock.

They all have their own 10/22 rifle for when they are big enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
The other day I took my 8 year old Grandson and 6 year old Granddaughter out shooting. My Grandson has been shooting for 3 years now, but this was the first time out for my Granddaughter. She had a great time and is already asking when we can go out again. She was really excited to shoot her pink Crickett rifle.

Her results at about 25 yards:

My Grandson has it figured out:

I started her off shooting at some baloons and once she figured things out she really had a blast. The baloons give instant feedback. By the end of the day, she was loading and cocking the rifle herself, and did not want, or need, much help from Grandpa.

The Crickett rifles are great for young shooters. There is another one in my safe for their little brother, who isn't ready yet.

I also have 10/22 rifles waiting for them when they get bigger. The 8 year old has fired his, but it is still too big for him and he prefers his Crickett still. I was able to get three with consecutive serial numbers and put a pink Hogue Overmold stock on my Granddaughters rifle.

When we were done, we filled two trash bags with other people's trash, even though our trash wou8ld have fit in a quart zip lock baggie. Teach them young, treach them right.

It was a GREAT day at the range.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 02-01-2016 at 10:40 PM..
Old 02-02-2016, 4:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for what you are doing. Spending the time is a good thing.
Old 02-03-2016, 4:02 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm gonna buy a 22 like the savage rascal to start with. I'll focus on gun safety and then basic operation of the weapon before I ever take him to the range. I'll also break in the safety myself (thanks for the tip).

After we finally go shooting I'll show him how to clean it and then back into MY safe it goes. I might buy him a nerf gun or something just to randomly have him show me proper trigger discipline/muzzle awareness...etc. if he ever does want to see "his gun" I'll bring it over unloaded and let him get all his gun curiosity out of his system as often as he likes.

What do you guys think?
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

I Hate California.
Old 02-03-2016, 4:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post

Personally I'd take him fishing & camping, firearms could be later when you know him better (have some bonding time) , but that's just me.
Excellent idea!
Old 02-03-2016, 4:35 AM
Calguns Addict

You ever heard of incentive training?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Head Janitor

The OP asked for the best way not for anyone's opinion of should he or not so stick to the topic and if you have nothing to add to 'how' don't reply.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveRN View Post

I did this exact same thing with my 5, now 6 year old son. We started with nurf guns. Then to a cricket, semi, etc.

You'll find out pretty quick if he has it in him to be safe with one.
Old 02-14-2016, 9:57 PM

This is how my buddy did it with his girlfriend's daughters. He bought them a rabbit and let them take care of it for about a month.

They all went to the desert and he let that rabbit take a 44mag.
Yep the girls cried, but they learned a quick lesson about guns and the loss
of something you love, and why you never play with guns, etc. Yes harsh, but this was 25+ years ago.

Personally I think a water-mellon or cantaloupe would have gotten the point across.

They grew up to be responsible adults. She stuck around for only a few more years but they are friends to this day.
Old 04-06-2016, 3:03 PM
Banned

As others have said, train in safety first. You hear too many horror stories of children shooting each other, thinking the gun is a toy, unloaded, etc.. My boys both learned gun safety at a VERY young age, ealier the better.

Ron-Solo, those pics are so inspiring. Though too young, I look forward to my own time as a grandparent teaching gun safety. Big ups
Old 04-06-2016, 3:05 PM
Banned

.!.

Last edited by Schutzman; 04-07-2016 at 8:50 AM..
Old 04-06-2016, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

My oldest is about to turn 3 and my youngest is only 1 so I haven't started with them yet. At this point I'm still working on potty training, dealing with tantrums and kissing booboos. I'm hoping around 5 will be a good time to start but I'll play it by ear. If my kids are ready and curious sooner then we'll start sooner, if I don't think they're ready then I'll wait a little longer.

But with my girlfriends son I think it could be really cool to start soon. Today I took him bike riding and we played basketball. So I get the camping and fishing suggestion I'm just not much for camping after the army and I never liked fish.

I Hate California.
Old 04-07-2016, 8:49 AM
Banned

Sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders. Safety first....
Old 04-07-2016, 6:17 PM

boy scouts have a training manual that has some nice tips and progressions--air rifle, then .22 with the safety stuff and the drills. I think you can download. Also www.nssf.org has a lot of good shooting resources.
Old 04-07-2016, 8:50 PM

My grandpa's technique...
Red ryder bb gun and a couple of cans. Then the 22 single shot with a couple of squirrels on the ranch. After a few hours he pulled out the side by side shotgun and let me shoot a round of buck shot.

I did not touch that shotgun again for years. The 22 is in my possession now, awaiting the next generation.

I want to get a cricket 22 for a while, as soon as I can get a deal on one it will be added to the collection. Another good trainer my dad has is 223 REM 700.
Old 04-09-2016, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoint View Post
So I've been dating a single mom who has a son. Has had absolutely no exposure to guns in his life but he gets excited when we talk about them. I think teaching him to shoot (assuming the relationship with his mom lasts) would be a great way to bond with him. With that said, what are some tips you guys would have for me?

Im open to ideas on calipers/guns, techniques or anything else you think would be helpful in teaching the kid. Obviously I'm leaning towards something in 22lr but I'm willing to try other stuff if I think there's a good reason to do so

PS I've got two daughters of my own (still in diapers) so even if things don't workout with the kid I'd like to know this stuff for my own girls.
Lots of good advice here. This is how I did it:

I have two daughters, when they were introduced to guns, they were 5 and 8. I bought a Marlin model 95, but had no ammo around for it. They were shown how it operated, safe handling, maintenance, etc. for three years, before they were allowed to send a single round down range. By the time they were ready, they were well versed in the "how to" of:

1) Firearms safety.

2) Handling firearms.

3) OpSec in ALL situations not approved by you (Basically, keeping there mouth shut!). Cover EVERYthing, this is IMPORTANT!

4) Proper maintenance of a firearm.

5) Marksmanship.

When starting off a single nine year old boy, buy a .22, but no ammo. Get him used to handling it for six months before he sends a round down range.

I'm going to catch it for this, but I'm saying it anyways. Get yourself professionally trained if you aren't already. DON'T send a boy through a firearms course, unless it's the on-line Remington safety course.

Why?

Because children at that age, especially boys, are very impressionable. If they think YOU are *THE* firearms expert, they'll be more apt to listen to you, and NOT someone else whom they may meet, who could quite possibly teach them in a dangerous manner.

If you send them to an "instructor", that is a sign you're unsure of yourself, and they WILL pick up on it, and possibly question your knowledge.

This is NOT a bad thing in most applications like sports training, tutoring in a subject you may be weak in, etc. But with firearms training, your children MUST believe YOU are the SOLE AUTHORITY. Any other assumption for them is inherently dangerous. You DON'T want someone else's dad, teaching your kids ANYthing about guns. Especially if you're not all that familiar with the other parent.

JMHO.... Worked for me, and mine.

Last edited by Dragunov; 04-09-2016 at 4:29 AM..
Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm gonna buy a 22 like the savage rascal to start with. I'll focus on gun safety and then basic operation of the weapon before I ever take him to the range. I'll also break in the safety myself (thanks for the tip).

After we finally go shooting I'll show him how to clean it and then back into MY safe it goes. I might buy him a nerf gun or something just to randomly have him show me proper trigger discipline/muzzle awareness...etc. if he ever does want to see "his gun" I'll bring it over unloaded and let him get all his gun curiosity out of his system as often as he likes.

What do you guys think?
There are safer ways to endear the boy...

now you really can read it for the articles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleseed
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:12 PM

I started my daughter when she was 8, and my son being 6 both on a cheap co2 bb pistol that had a detachable mag where you fed the bbs into. Before every session, I of course got them involved with proper firearm handling and after sometime with practice and repetition, my 6 year old was displaying and understood mussel control, finger placement, clearing the chamber, and my #1 rule is to always ask dad to touch said firearm.

on the range after each shooter was done and they "cleared" the bb gun, we then headed down range to see their shots. Using balloons was fun and a good reactive target but time consuming to set them all up for two shooters, we found some more practical targets they enjoyed just as much.

Next shooter would demonstrate the proper techniques including my #1 rule before loading the bbs in the mag, picking up the bb gun with proper mussel control and finger placement, inserting the mag, and making ready. Eyes and ears were always mandatory while teaching them proper body posture.

Girl is now 10, boy 8. They both have their cricket youth rifles, and bought my daughter a mini browning 1911/22lr. They enjoy the sport, they understand and display full knowledge and awareness of firearm safety. My boy will notice certain parts in movies or when he watches COPS and won't hesitate to call them out on poor firearm safety.

Those few years of constant hard work and due diligence surly paid off and I am very proud to know my children have firearm safety in mind and enjoy shooting with their dad. Teach them young, teach them right! Enjoy the many years to come as you have two of your own and will be teaching them sooner than you know it. <<<cheers>>>
Old 04-15-2016, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
Airsoft, really you know nothing about how this young boy's mind works.

IMO if guns are the first thing you want to teach him maybe start there.

agree on all points
Old 04-16-2016, 5:21 PM
Calguns Addict

The training takes years of involvement. It is a lifestyle.
Old 04-16-2016, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
I started my daughter when she was 8, and my son being 6 both on a cheap co2 bb pistol that had a detachable mag where you fed the bbs into. Before every session, I of course got them involved with proper firearm handling and after sometime with practice and repetition, my 6 year old was displaying and understood mussel control, finger placement, clearing the chamber, and my #1 rule is to always ask dad to touch said firearm.

on the range after each shooter was done and they "cleared" the bb gun, we then headed down range to see their shots. Using balloons was fun and a good reactive target but time consuming to set them all up for two shooters, we found some more practical targets they enjoyed just as much.

Next shooter would demonstrate the proper techniques including my #1 rule before loading the bbs in the mag, picking up the bb gun with proper mussel control and finger placement, inserting the mag, and making ready. Eyes and ears were always mandatory while teaching them proper body posture.

Girl is now 10, boy 8. They both have their cricket youth rifles, and bought my daughter a mini browning 1911/22lr. They enjoy the sport, they understand and display full knowledge and awareness of firearm safety. My boy will notice certain parts in movies or when he watches COPS and won't hesitate to call them out on poor firearm safety.

Those few years of constant hard work and due diligence surly paid off and I am very proud to know my children have firearm safety in mind and enjoy shooting with their dad. Teach them young, teach them right! Enjoy the many years to come as you have two of your own and will be teaching them sooner than you know it. <<<cheers>>>
Love the avatar!!!

And I hear you guys about training being a lifestyle. I am happy to make it so.

I Hate California.
Old 05-26-2016, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

Just thought I'd update. Been hanging out with the kid lately. He's a great little guy. You should see how big his eyes get when I just mention guns lol. The other day I took him to my safe and tried to give him the 4 rules of firearm safety with a promise that eventually I'd take him when I thought he had them down.

Apparently he couldn't contain his excitement and told his grandpa who took him out a few days ago and let him go nuts with a 10/22. Not my choice for a first gun but the damage is done now and he's a shooter. Hope he doesn't scoff at the single shot or bolt action 22 I'll be getting him in the next year

I Hate California.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just thought I'd update. Been hanging out with the kid lately. He's a great little guy. You should see how big his eyes get when I just mention guns lol. The other day I took him to my safe and tried to give him the 4 rules of firearm safety with a promise that eventually I'd take him when I thought he had them down.

Apparently he couldn't contain his excitement and told his grandpa who took him out a few days ago and let him go nuts with a 10/22. Not my choice for a first gun but the damage is done now and he's a shooter. Hope he doesn't scoff at the single shot or bolt action 22 I'll be getting him in the next year
If he's like my kid, just getting to shoot makes him happy.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 05-26-2016, 2:51 PM

Quote:

You never know with kids.

My nephew (9 at the time) went out with us. Onsite (for his use) were a ruger 10/22 and an older bolt action 22.

Believe it or not the kid wanted to use the bolt gun! Loading magazines wasn't for him. He felt he could shoot more / faster with the bolt. We let him have at it and kid could really feed that old rifle.

He said with the 10/22 he felt he had the magazine in his hands the entire time whereas with the other it was the gun he was holding the whole time.

Ya just never know... YMMV
Quote:
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 05-31-2016, 7:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-shot View Post
You never know with kids.

My nephew (9 at the time) went out with us. Onsite (for his use) were a ruger 10/22 and an older bolt action 22.

Believe it or not the kid wanted to use the bolt gun! Loading magazines wasn't for him. He felt he could shoot more / faster with the bolt. We let him have at it and kid could really feed that old rifle.

He said with the 10/22 he felt he had the magazine in his hands the entire time whereas with the other it was the gun he was holding the whole time.

Ya just never know... YMMV
Lol kids are awesome!

I just sold my 10/22 Takedown so I don't even have a 22 right now

I Hate California.
Old 06-01-2016, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Lol kids are awesome!

I just sold my 10/22 Takedown so I don't even have a 22 right now
Hey this kid has made you come full circle. Time for gun shopping

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 PM

Plus 1 for air gun or air soft. Teaching basic gun safety rules is a must. Air soft will let you evaluate how fast and well he picks up basic gun safety. Accidental discharge with air soft no big deal .22lr dangerous