Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 07-15-2014, 8:56 PM

Default Hog or Deer hunt that won't break the bank

I am looking for somewhere I can take my oldest son (13 years old) for his first hunt, it would also be my first hunt in quite a few years. I would prefer somewhere within 3-4 hours of Modesto, and more importantly something that won't break the bank. I don't have a budget, because this is the first time I am throwing it out there. Any ideas, recomendations, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2014, 9:16 PM

Public land is free.... well, free of game mostly. Hunting is mostly big business now, forgive me for being cynical, but unless you can get access to private land (pretty damn hard for city boys like myself), then you are left paying big $ to guides.
Old 07-15-2014, 9:23 PM

I agree, public land in my area is tough. I seem to know a lot of people who have friends, that have access to private land...but you know how that is...never works out.

Old 07-16-2014, 2:17 PM

I'd send bigboarstopper a message. He's a great guide. A friend of mine used him. He's pretty reasonable.
Old 07-22-2014, 8:23 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelster1574 View Post
I am looking for somewhere I can take my oldest son (13 years old) for his first hunt, it would also be my first hunt in quite a few years. I would prefer somewhere within 3-4 hours of Modesto, and more importantly something that won't break the bank. I don't have a budget, because this is the first time I am throwing it out there. Any ideas, recomendations, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
CWA (california waterfowl association) along with DFG put on youth only hunts that you put in for (I think it's $5 for each hunt) and if lucky get drawn. The hunts are usually on pretty good ranches and some include accommodations.

If I were you I would put in for all of the ones that you are willing to drive too or attend. It's a waiting game.

Other than that bigboarstopper is a licensed guide and has taken numerous calgunners out with them reporting back as being satisfied. His name is Shay.

Guided Wild Boar Hunts In Central California, Shay Balesteri 831.594.1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 07-24-2014, 3:31 PM

Check these guys out. They're in Coalinga which is an easy drive from Modesto.

http://www.hogswild.com/