Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

View Poll Results: Which Software Should We Move To?
vBulletin 4 55 37.67%
Xenforo 32 21.92%
SMF 56 38.36%
Other (Specify in the thread) 3 2.05%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2018, 10:49 AM
#1 Bull Goose Loony
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Are we going to be able to bring the CalGuns smilies under the new software?

That's one heck of a smily list and it would be a damn shame to lose it.
Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - Search 'Concealed Weapons Permit Information Sacramento'
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Animated US Map Showing Progress of Concealed Carry Laws 1986 to 2021 http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php
Old 04-30-2018, 10:28 AM

SMF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-01-2018, 3:38 PM

sysadmin hat on says latest vb
Old 05-01-2018, 3:38 PM

Xenforo, basically the Corvette of forum software.

The others are like modded Stangs and Camaros that may match the Vette's performance numbers, but just aren't as nice.

Open source doesn't automatically mean better. Anyone here use GIMP because it's open source and avoids Photoshop because it's not?

Last edited by UFO hunter; 05-01-2018 at 7:44 PM..
Old 05-01-2018, 5:36 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO hunter View Post
Open source doesn't automatically mean better. Anyone here use GIMP because it's open source and avoids Photoshop because it's not?
Nope.
I use Gimp and Paint.Net because they are shareware and affordable and I can't justify paying for PS for the few times Windows Paint can't do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-01-2018, 5:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Nope.
I use Gimp and Paint.Net because they are shareware and affordable and I can't justify paying for PS for the few times Windows Paint can't do the job.

Love them both, but technically they are open source therefore freeware, the term shareware has other connotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
Old 05-01-2018, 5:51 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Love them both, but technically they are open source therefore freeware, the term shareware has other connotation.
Right, but I don't use them specifically because they are open source, I use them because they are economical, and when it comes to software, I prefer to use the simplest platform that will get the job done, thus, in order of preference, and in order of frequency of use, MS Paint, Paint.Net, and Gimp.

The only time I use Gimp is when I need selection, color blend, or text options (such as arcing) that I can't do with Paint.Net.
It has honestly been about 5 years since I've even fired up Gimp. I use Paint almost daily.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-01-2018, 8:04 PM

My 2 cents that is based on some actual knowledge of the subject:

VB4 is terrible, and a bloated piece of garbage. When Internet Brands bought vBulletin, they ruined it and v4 was crap that came out of that purchase. vBulletin 3.8.x is already unsupported and fraught with security holes and you're talking about only going to 4.x which still doesn't get you to the modern codebase you should be looking at. And I agree that 5.x is ugly.

Xenforo is really slick and very fast running code. It has the best responsive UI of them all and renders Tapatalk completely unnecessary. Unfortunately, there is not currently a functioning iTrader-like app, though. But there's nothing else going on with calguns.net that Xenforo won't support. The commercial theme support for Xenforo is strong, too. This one gets my vote.

SMF: I've been down the opensource forum software road before. It got hacked every 10 minutes and became giant pain to maintain. With the traffic this site has, I would tread cautiously.
Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming yet refusing to disclose some "master plan" is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda
Old 05-01-2018, 8:33 PM
Señor Member

And while iTrader seems like an important function, people aren't using it.
I've participated in a number of transactions in the last couple of years, including multiple firearms.
Nope... Zip since 2011, and I've left a positive on every transaction. Three haven't even been received.

This, coupled with the too-common occurrence of someone with good iTrader numbers "turning bad", and I really see a diminishing value in it.
This is the only forum I participate on that uses anything like it, but this one also has the most active marketplace (though I'm sure the ammo law changes have really impacted that)

Quote:
Old 05-01-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASR10 View Post
Its more about the philosophy behind open source that makes it attractive. For home and personal use, mainly. But for business purposes, you have to go with the best.
For a business open source means that what has happened to CalGuns can't happen nearly as arbitrarily, because if anyone is using it, someone can maintain it. No one can just decide it's time to EoL open source.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

My suggestion for priority for your decision (it's not really ours):
1. Security
2. Stability
3. Maintainability/upgradability
4. Features
5. Speed
6. Slickness/appearance
Old 05-02-2018, 6:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And while iTrader seems like an important function, people aren't using it.
I've participated in a number of transactions in the last couple of years, including multiple firearms.
Nope... Zip since 2011, and I've left a positive on every transaction. Three haven't even been received.

This, coupled with the too-common occurrence of someone with good iTrader numbers "turning bad", and I really see a diminishing value in it.
This is the only forum I participate on that uses anything like it, but this one also has the most active marketplace (though I'm sure the ammo law changes have really impacted that)
Speak for yourself.

I wouldn't mind if iTrader had to go, though.

As far as software selection goes, I'm leery hearing about all the security threats with SMF.
Old 05-02-2018, 7:23 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Speak for yourself.

I wouldn't mind if iTrader had to go, though.

As far as software selection goes, I'm leery hearing about all the security threats with SMF.
Open source is a double-edged sword.

I've always viewed OS as being more vulnerable to hacks... but that's coming from seeing that the code is out in the open giving everyone the opportunity to look for weaknesses, and a history of commercial software being compromised after the source was leaked.

OTOH, open source also allows everyone to look for and patch weaknesses more quickly.

Quote:
Old 05-02-2018, 7:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Open source is a double-edged sword.

I've always viewed OS as being more vulnerable to hacks... but that's coming from seeing that the code is out in the open giving everyone the opportunity to look for weaknesses, and a history of commercial software being compromised after the source was leaked.

OTOH, open source also allows everyone to look for and patch weaknesses more quickly.

This is exactly why with open source you do not want to use the latest and greatest major release version for production systems, but a near recent major release with the absolute latest minor patch releases since that helps provide time for major flaws to be found and fixed prior to compromise.

In contrast, you always want the newest available with commercial closed source tools since it provides less time to find flaws and compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
Old 05-03-2018, 6:50 AM

I like iTrader and I always check it before I go out to meet someone.

Don’t much care after 10-30 reports but an established record is nice to see
Old 05-03-2018, 6:52 AM

I particularly notice zero or one transaction relative to the join date.

Don’t like the inablity to edit with this format........
Old 05-03-2018, 3:36 PM

All of this IT stuff is way above my pay grade but I thought I would just toss this one thing out. Some of the websites and at least one forum I used to be on had this annoying thing that every time you logged on-- or even changed pages, it would ask if you wanted to "share you location".

Now I don't know if that was a bug, or just a means of a website monetizing--- or sharing data for the purpose of monetizing, but it was annoying.

If that is a feature standard on a version I would say I don't like that. If it is only just a feature that can be turned off and not used then fine.

That's all I got.

Last edited by Lex Talionis; 05-03-2018 at 3:52 PM..
Old 05-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Calguns Addict

How about the one that makes coffee and does dishes??

Don't ask me, I know zip about forum software However, smitting was very cool! One that allows smitting!

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

I guess "Handguns and Ammunition" changed their software recently, because I've started getting "Schannel" errors for the last couple of months.

Could be my MS Internet Explorer too, because the error pops up on a couple of other sites.

I'm not sure what they upgraded to.

Respectfully
Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 05-05-2018, 7:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post

XenForo also had great mobile support for themes that is mostly automatic. So using phones and tablets does not require Tapatalk.
That's huge in my book.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 05-13-2018, 3:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not sure what's going on but recently my page switched to the iphone version. I can't seem to get it to go back to the version I prefer. The blue one. I'm not tech savvy. Can someone help me?
Old 05-13-2018, 5:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonfan View Post
Not sure what's going on but recently my page switched to the iphone version. I can't seem to get it to go back to the version I prefer. The blue one. I'm not tech savvy. Can someone help me?
All the way to the bottom of the page there will be a thick blue bar.

Left side, there is a drop-down menu.

Pick 'Calguns 1.0'. That's what I do.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you for the info librarian. It is not working though I am using a samsung s9+ to browse. Generally bottom left corner would allow me to switch formats. Although a few days ago I was automatically switched to the iphone format. Nothing I try will allow me to switch back. I've discussed issue with another senior member and he has the same issue using a mobile device. I do not own a computer, so this is my only way in. This iphone version doesn't allow me to do many of my normal functions.( i.e. read sent messages, give itrader rating.etc) I do not like this format. Help get me out of it please.
Old 07-31-2019, 2:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So what's happening with the update?

Quote:

Old 08-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
So what's happening with the update?
It's still going to happen but I've run in to a few snags one being time to deal with the aftermath.

But a big one is I have yet to figure out a way to carry over the iTrader ratings.
Almost everything else can be handled and what can't is more mild loss of 'backstage' functionality that I can live with but the iTrader everyone likes so much is a problem.

I get it, some people have a lot of feedback showing their integrity, and I want to find a way to let them keep it.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 08-19-2019, 2:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
It's still going to happen but I've run in to a few snags one being time to deal with the aftermath.

But a big one is I have yet to figure out a way to carry over the iTrader ratings.

Almost everything else can be handled and what can't is more mild loss of 'backstage' functionality that I can live with but the iTrader everyone likes so much is a problem.

I get it, some people have a lot of feedback showing their integrity, and I want to find a way to let them keep it.
Cool. I was just wondering.

I've never taken on a project like this so I have no idea what you have to do. I can only imagine how much work it will take.

And, because I know that I'd like to say thank you for what you've done in creating and keeping this community going.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Quote:

Old 08-19-2019, 3:27 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll;

Does the new forum software have a market / user rating version? If so, could an assessment be made to custom import a users history from iTrade?