Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-12-2018, 9:35 PM

Default Canik TP9 SFX

Any thoughts on this pistol fondled one while visiting my daughter, man what a nice feeling pistol and it has really good reviews just wondering if anybody had one and what they thought.
Old 02-12-2018, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Great for the money in a free state, not worth it here in CA with the ridiculous Mark up
Old 02-12-2018, 10:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Agree with etwinam. I have one. You get a lot of stuff and features for the money, but kind of rough on the edges. Much like a Soviet-era AKM.

Did you bring your daughter to the gun shop? Hope she saw your expression while holding that gun. Is she of age? She can buy it from a private party at 18 (at least in NV or AZ) but she cannot buy it from a dealer until she is 21.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I want one pretty bad.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:34 PM

Yup was in a free state looking at it on sale $645 with vortex sight back in the "70's and "80's that's what this state used to like like. After going though the gun store I was in, I'm officially leaving this **** hole not just because of the freedom to buy what you want but the politics here are so far left it is not worth fighting for 59 yrs old getting out while I can.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 PM

Yes I am working on the gift part now but looking in that 45 ft pistol case with every brand name and caliber you could think of and people walking up saying I want that and walking out 10 min later was to much for me I was seriously crying in my truck in the parking lot no ****.
Old 02-13-2018, 6:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmy255 View Post
Yes I am working on the gift part now but looking in that 45 ft pistol case with every brand name and caliber you could think of and people walking up saying I want that and walking out 10 min later was to much for me I was seriously crying in my truck in the parking lot no ****.
Just be happy you do have the ability to get out. Is your daughter staying where she is? Makes sense to move there. Yes, it's not only the gun rights situation. When only one political party has voice, no good can come out of this mess.

Curious as to what you will do for the magazine capacity situation. If I can remember it when I go home, I'll bring my CA legal 10 rounder PPQ magazines with me to see if they would work in the TP9SFx. The slides interchange, so maybe the magazine would too. It's a shame to give up those 20 rounders, though.

Old 02-13-2018, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
Great for the money in a free state, not worth it here in CA with the ridiculous Mark up
There's one for sale in the Marketplace for only $850. That's a great price for one in CA. Really surprised it hasn't sold yet. Many people do not know of the brand Canik. This is basically a Walther Q5 Match for a lot less money. You can even interchange slides between the Canik and Walther and the trigger is just about identical. Grip is slightly longer than the Walther so the 15 round Walther mag will not fit onto the Canik but the Canik 18 round plus 2 basepad will fit into the Walther but will stick out.

Last edited by Litespeeds; 02-13-2018 at 7:57 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 5:31 PM

Yes she lives there leaving the magazines there and have ten round one coming with pistol, $850 is a pretty good price for Ca. with tax and Dros over $900. I really did not mean to rant about Ca. gun laws and politics but standing in the gun shop and looking at prices and what we can not get here in Ca. I guess reality finally set in just how low we have sunk in this once great state.
Old 02-13-2018, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

The Canik is made in Turkey and I now have a real problem supporting anything from Turkey. I just don't believe they are really a US ally.
Old 02-13-2018, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmy255 View Post
Yes she lives there leaving the magazines there and have ten round one coming with pistol, $850 is a pretty good price for Ca. with tax and Dros over $900. I really did not mean to rant about Ca. gun laws and politics but standing in the gun shop and looking at prices and what we can not get here in Ca. I guess reality finally set in just how low we have sunk in this once great state.
You can not buy a Canik in CA unless you are law enforcement or you buy it from a private party transfer. $850 is through PPT so only $885 total which is not bad. The one selling for $850 is currently SPF so someone got a decent deal.

Last edited by Litespeeds; 02-13-2018 at 8:18 PM..
Old 02-13-2018, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

i think it was a great deal. Surprised it was out there for so long.
Old 02-16-2018, 2:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I had a guy offer me 2 on a trade... he valued each one at $1,200!
Old 02-16-2018, 7:31 AM
Veteran Member

In free states,

These are well under $500 and under $700 with tbe red dot. Far better than any Glock.

Taking cover now.
Old 02-16-2018, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Felt the stock trigger on this yesterday. WHOA...great at this price point. Super short reset and the overall quality of the gun is not as rough as most people have commented.

I was able to get it much less than the advertised $850 asking price so it's a win for me. Must've been listed so long, he just wanted to sell it.

Last edited by munkeeboi; 02-16-2018 at 8:25 AM..
Old 02-16-2018, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

Here in Arizona I got the TP9SFX with a Vortex Viper red dot for $629 shipped plus a $20 transfer. Overall I like the gun a lot but I wound up putting some glock springs in it. The striker safety plunger had a spring that was too strong and made the trigger stagey. I replaced that spring and the striker spring with glock springs. The factory recoil spring was too strong to where I was having issues running factory 115gr ammo. Century sent me a lighter spring so all is good now.
Old 02-17-2018, 7:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For those guys who have these or the TP9SA, TP9SF, TP9SF Elite or TP9SF Elite-S, be aware the "unintentional discharge" issue with these guns, just like the Sig P320.

Here is what Century stated on their website:
" Evaluations and tests have shown that repeated abusive dropping of pistols may result in damage to safety features and unintentional discharge.
DANGER: IF ANY FIREARM IS DROPPED INTERNAL PARTS MAY HAVE BEEN DEFORMED, DAMAGED OR DISABLED. The product must be inspected by a qualified gunsmith or returned for inspection after any significant impact.
WARNING: REPEATED IMPACTS TO YOUR PISTOL TO TEST ITS SAFETY FUNCTIONS WILL DAMAGE INTERNAL PARTS, AND VOID ITS WARRANTY. Firearm abusive handling tests can be dangerous and should only be conducted by qualified individuals in controlled environments with proper safety precautions in place. Canik does not recommend that any customer conduct drop tests or other endurance tests before or after this Severe Duty Upgrade."

Unlike Sig who paid for shipping costs, Century wants me to fork over another $60 for shipping the gun to them and back to me.

Buyer beware.

Old 02-17-2018, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
For those guys who have these or the TP9SA, TP9SF, TP9SF Elite or TP9SF Elite-S, be aware the "unintentional discharge" issue with these guns, just like the Sig P320.

Here is what Century stated on their website:
" Evaluations and tests have shown that repeated abusive dropping of pistols may result in damage to safety features and unintentional discharge.
DANGER: IF ANY FIREARM IS DROPPED INTERNAL PARTS MAY HAVE BEEN DEFORMED, DAMAGED OR DISABLED. The product must be inspected by a qualified gunsmith or returned for inspection after any significant impact.
WARNING: REPEATED IMPACTS TO YOUR PISTOL TO TEST ITS SAFETY FUNCTIONS WILL DAMAGE INTERNAL PARTS, AND VOID ITS WARRANTY. Firearm abusive handling tests can be dangerous and should only be conducted by qualified individuals in controlled environments with proper safety precautions in place. Canik does not recommend that any customer conduct drop tests or other endurance tests before or after this Severe Duty Upgrade."

Unlike Sig who paid for shipping costs, Century wants me to fork over another $60 for shipping the gun to them and back to me.

Buyer beware.
I'm pretty sure the upgrade is two heavier springs. One on the trigger safety and one is on the striker safety plunger. I think this to cover Century's butt because of the sig 320 issue. You have people online hitting guns repeatedly and dropping them over and over trying to get them to fire.
All the Canik TP series since september 2017 have these stronger springs. My gun has these springs when I bought it. I put a lighter striker safety plunger spring back in because upgrade spring was too strong. If my gun didn't already the springs I wouldn't send it to Century for the upgrade. That's just my opinion.
Old 02-20-2018, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a TP9 SFX. With a Vortex RDS, it's pretty fun to shoot and the trigger is phenomenal for an inexpensive pistol. Good thing it can mount an RDS, because if you ever had the rear iron sight mounted and wanted to adjust it, you'd be out of luck. Mine is an immovable object. I wanted the iron sights to be usable and wound up drifting the front sight to adjust windage... after having to buy a much, much taller front sight to get it on target. If you were only interested in mounting an optic, no big deal there.

However, I don't think I'd buy one with the California markup, it's just not worth that kind of money.
Old 02-21-2018, 4:44 AM

Quote:
That can be said for every gun that has the California mark up...
CGN CONTRIBUTOR
Old 02-21-2018, 6:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
The Canik is made in Turkey and I now have a real problem supporting anything from Turkey. I just don't believe they are really a US ally.

I lived in Turkey for over 2 years, really nice people and country. They get upset with the U S anytime we arm the Kurds as they see it as an opportunity for these arms to be smuggled to the Kurdish separatists in Turkey.

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 02-21-2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
I lived in Turkey for over 2 years, really nice people and country. They get upset with the U S anytime we arm the Kurds as they see it as an opportunity for these arms to be smuggled to the Kurdish separatists in Turkey.
an independent, viable Kurdistan would be a foreign policy victory for the United States.
Old 02-21-2018, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

Shot a match with mine this morning. Everything went great until I got to stage that required shooting weak hand. I had a heck of a time finding the red dot. I need to work on my strong hand and weak hand shooting with this kind of sight.
Old 02-25-2018, 9:50 PM

They get good reviews, but I will not support Turkish government backed companies after their Embassy and Erodgan goons attached US citizens on our soil. They then blamed the police for not properly handling the incident that they caused.