Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-21-2017, 1:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
^ Yep, they need to create and administer a registration program for those rifles. As long as that's all they do, there won't be any problems.
Which would be fine by me.

A.W.D.
Old 04-21-2017, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Im just worried theyre gonna screw over 80% builders.
Old 04-21-2017, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsnake87 View Post
Im just worried theyre gonna screw over 80% builders.
It's funny because the same April 17th meeting their #4 talking point has to do with implementing the new marking requirements. Check out the PDF for some details.

Essentially, all home builders are screwed one way or another.
Old 04-21-2017, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
It's funny because the same April 17th meeting their #4 talking point has to do with implementing the new marking requirements. Check out the PDF for some details.

Essentially, all home builders are screwed one way or another.
Unless already built, right? Wouldn't this only affect future builds?
Old 04-21-2017, 4:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefive6 View Post
Unless already built, right? Wouldn't this only affect future builds?
Yes, but also anything previously built will need a serial number. The only issue with the last regs was that they said you had to apply for a serial number even for guns that were built before. I have all my 80%s that I made engraved already with their own serial number, and my name and location of manufacture. The law says that is it bears a serial number, that should be fine. I shouldn't have to ask for another serial number to engrave in addition to the one I already engraved.
Old 04-21-2017, 4:27 PM

Based on gov data
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...dros_chart.pdf

Total long guns DROS btw 2014 - 2016 = 1.56M.
Total long guns DROS btw 2000 - 2013 = 3.46M.
Roughly 7.72M gun owners in CA (21%)
Probably 65% long guns are rifle and 35% are shotgun. So 3.25M total rifle.

So if DOJ plans to register 1- 1.5M, that would be close to 30 - 50%.
Old 04-21-2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmart_ar15 View Post
Based on gov data

Higher if you consider that rifles hit under this law are 50% or less of the 3.25.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 04-21-2017, 5:07 PM
Voted Most Handsome CG'er
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
Yes, but also anything previously built will need a serial number. The only issue with the last regs was that they said you had to apply for a serial number even for guns that were built before. I have all my 80%s that I made engraved already with their own serial number, and my name and location of manufacture. The law says that is it bears a serial number, that should be fine. I shouldn't have to ask for another serial number to engrave in addition to the one I already engraved.
That's another reason they need to hurry the hell up with these regulations. Some of us are sitting here with piles of unserialized 80's, and it takes significant time (and money) to disassemble, engrave, refinish, and reassemble each rifle, and we can't even start until we know what we're supposed to do.
Old 04-21-2017, 6:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Based on gov data

I guess my metric is just a little different:

2001-2016 Long gun DROS = Approx 5,000,000
85% rifles, 15% shotguns
So 4,250,000 rifles
50-60% of those rifles were AW (mostly AR's)
Factor in some of those DROS's contained multiple rifles, so +10%
so 2,125.000- 2,550,000
+10% = 2,337,500 - 2,805,000

Maybe this is too high, but it looks like conservatively they are planning to register between 10%-50% of the AW this reg period, depending on whose equations you go by. It seems far less than the reg periods in the past.

I was always under the assumption because of the problems in the old reg periods and just general LGS lore and internet lore that the old reg periods were failures that didn't get much registered. I now believe that's not the case, doing the math it shows me that they went for a target that actually represented the number of AW that was sold. But this reg period seems fishy.

I believe they have a duty to get as close to 100% or they are basically not allowing people to register. It's important for future lawsuits and if you can prove they set out to register less than the total, it's a serious problem for them.
Old 04-21-2017, 7:29 PM

I just went featureless with a Hera Arms stock and an ambidexterous safety selector switch, and it's great. You don't need the pistol grip, and you can have a standard mag release. Why would anyone submit to registration?
Old 04-21-2017, 8:01 PM

With DROS they know exactly what each purchase is, rifle or shotgun, semi or bolt. They would have a pretty good idea who has what and how many.

The variable is which semi is gonna end up featureless. So choosed 50/50.

They quote 250k applicants. Based on their database it may actually be 50% of individuals that owns semi-rifles. They also suggested each person may register btw 4-6 rifle each as an average.

If they got it wrong and more than 50% register, then it would be problematic. Hence, the language pushing for featureless.

Guess one take away is that there are likely ~3M semi-rifle in CA that could be AW and maybe only 500k individuals that owns them.
Old 04-21-2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
With DROS they know exactly what each purchase is, rifle or shotgun, semi or bolt. They would have a pretty good idea who has what and how many.

The variable is which semi is gonna end up featureless. So choosed 50/50.

They quote 250k applicants. Based on their database it may actually be 50% of individuals that owns semi-rifles. They also suggested each person may register btw 4-6 rifle each as an average.

If they got it wrong and more than 50% register, then it would be problematic. Hence, the language pushing for featureless.

Guess one take away is that there are likely ~3M semi-rifle in CA that could be AW and maybe only 500k individuals that owns them.
The thing is, stripped receivers are DROS'd as receivers, not as any particular type of gun. Every single one of my AR's were DROS'd as receivers-only. The only time it wouldn't is if you bought a complete rifle.
Old 04-21-2017, 9:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
The thing is, stripped receivers are DROS'd as receivers, not as any particular type of gun. Every single one of my AR's were DROS'd as receivers-only. The only time it wouldn't is if you bought a complete rifle.
Not true at all. The "receiver only" check box may have been selected for your transfers but there is no receiver only point of entry into the DROS system It's either a Long Gun or Handgun:

Featuring $35 transfers.

Sig P6 for sale

Assorted range brass for sale
Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 AM

My mistake, you are correct - I went back and looked at my old DROS forms and they say "Type: Rifle" and "Frame/Receiver Only: Yes". I only remembered the 2nd part and forgot about the first part, thanks for the correction
Old 04-23-2017, 6:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Also new info from member CalAlumnus who pointed out a document that is called "STATE OF CALIFORNIA Budget Change Proposal - Cover Sheet
DF-46 (REV 08/16)
" which was submitted to the legislature on Jan 10 2017. It explicitly states exactly what the DOJ expects in terms of registration:

"The California Department of Justice (Department), Division of Law Enforcement, Bureau of Firearms (Bureau) requests an increase of $2,588,000 and 27.0 positions in FY 2017-18 in Dealers' Record of Sale (DROS) Special Fund spending authority to implement the provisions Senate Bill (SB) 880 (Hall III) and Assembly Bill (AB) 1135 (Levine)."

and

"The Bureau is required to create and administer a registration program for owners of assault weapons with an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm without disassembly of the firearm action. The Bureau roughly estimates 1-1.5 million assault weapons will be registered by approximately 250,000 different owners. It is estimated that these registrations will generate roughly $3.7 million dollars, and will be sufficient to cover the costs associated with this proposal. "

now there's a joke worth laughing . these idiots will find a way that the money will not be enough. this is California where money is diverted to other uses.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-23-2017, 6:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
A Visual Timeline of Registered Assault Weapon (Registration periods) in California History:

we should note that the past two RAW registration periods there was sufficient time to register compared to 2017. We are close to May and nothing.

It is still of my opinion that this is completely on purpose and not by accident.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-23-2017, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
we should note that the past two RAW registration periods there was sufficient time to register compared to 2017. We are close to May and nothing.

It is still of my opinion that this is completely on purpose and not by accident.
You are correct. The Brady minions buried deep in the California DOJ Bureau of Firearms are super pissed that the Rulers screwed up the current registration parameters to what they wished would happen. So they floated what the really wanted and it was pulled. It's quite sad to see the utter hatred of the California gun owner on display at a State Government Department paid with tax payer dollars. This State is pathetic and so are the citizens of this state who accept this from their government.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
― Robert A. Heinlein