Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:13 PM

Default Nagging question about ammo prices.

Alright, you guys have never led me astray before so hopefully you'll answer this question that's been nagging me forever. Every time I buy defensive ammo, there's always a box of 50 vs a box of 20. Despite the fact that they are the same brand, type, and specs, they cost the same price. I'd be an idiot not to buy the box of 50, right? But then again...what make's the box of 20 over 250% more expensive??? Are they higher quality? Are the box of 50 reloaded or seconds?

Case in point:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...low-point-ammo

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...low-point-ammo
Old 03-06-2010, 11:14 PM

The box of 20 are hollow points. Hmm, never mind, so is the box of 50. I'll let someone else answer
Old 03-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Vendor/Retailer

The 50 round box is "LE" ammo. The other is not. I cannot tell you the difference between the two. I would just call ATG and ask.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Now serving you from Prescott, AZ

Last edited by EBR Works; 03-06-2010 at 11:23 PM..
Old 03-06-2010, 11:26 PM

I wouldn't say a thing . The 20 rounds boasts about some exclusive bullet they use. They will both expand as they are both hollowpoints. Go with the 50.
Old 03-07-2010, 1:40 AM

I've always thought it's just marketing. They try to push the 20 round boxes on the retail market, a lot of the 50's are packaged for the law enforcement market. Most places you have to look harder to find the 50 round boxes, and some 20 rounder's come in fancy plastic boxes too[ must be one expensive box ???]
Old 03-07-2010, 2:17 AM
Veteran Member

It's pretty much the same thing.

The 20-round PD ammo is geared towards the civilian market with a round that performs well in the soft-tissue and soft-barrier (denim) tests. They are not tested for penetration & performance through autoglass or harder barriers.

The 50-round L.E. ammo includes additional information:
Quote:
Each Gold Dot bullet is individually engineered to provide shot-to-shot uniformity and ensure optimum wounding when fired through a variety of barriers. The result is a cartridge that provides officers the ultimate defense in lethal force confrontations. Jacket/core separations are the main cause of bullet failure and a real problem for traditional lead-core, jacketed hollow point bullets. Most bullets perform adequately in soft tissue, but fragment or expand prematurely when obstructed by bone, heavy clothing or any number of other potential real life shooting barriers.
But since both bullets utilize Speer's Uni-CoreŽ process, they should be very close in performance. I've bought the 50-round LE box of 9mm 124gr GDHP and found they performed flawlessly in S&W, Glock, Beretta and a Colt 9mm 1911.

Given what appears to be little difference...and the fact that I'm cheap... I buy the 50-round L.E. ammo. If figure that performance will be excellent and if it comes to a court argument, my side will point out that I'm using the same ammo as law enforcement officers use.

Last edited by BillCA; 03-07-2010 at 2:19 AM..
Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 AM

The last time I contacted Speer, that was the case. The 50 rd box are usually contract ammo for law enforcement. BUT beware that alot of this ammo in the past did not pass specs and is being sold at gunshows. Could be something as simple as the nickle flaking off. I have seen bulk boxes of Gold Dot ammo sold in 250 and 500 white sealed boxes. If you have the time email the lot number to Speer and see if it was a recalled product. The worst is hey, you can use it as practice ammo and buy the real deal for your self defense mags.