Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 12-04-2017, 4:04 PM

Default shotgun ammo question

I have a 12 ga mossberg 500.
havent shot in a few years but I used to shoot alot. Got a new shotgun exactly like the old one, in fact i put the old ones barrel on the new one. Old gun is gone but still had the short barrel.
I shot some rounds through it and noticed 1 type had huge recoil, dont remember ever being effected like that before. I was shooting Fiocci and seller and beloit (sp?). those 2 were great. Rifled slugs and 00buck.
the 3rd one, the one that kicked like hell, was also 00buck but its was 1290fps instead of 1114fps and 12 instead of 9 projectiles. Man what a difference in kick. Is it the fps or the extra 3 00balls??? I wouldnt have thought either would make such a diff.
Also had some feeding issues which I never had before with my old Mossberg. Perhaps due to not oiling the new one? Any ideas there either anyone? It seemed to be more of an issue with the 12bb 1290fps shells than the other ones.
thanks in advance for any help
Old 12-04-2017, 4:21 PM

i've always felt 00 buck and slugs kicked more than your typical field rounds.
any chance that last one was a 3" magnum 00 buckshot? you can expect to kick even more.

i recently bought a new 500 (scorpion) and the action was pretty sticky out of the box.
i broke it down and lubed everything, dry cycled it a few dozen times, and it is much better now. I haven't have any feed issues.
Old 12-04-2017, 6:30 PM
Calguns Addict

KE = mV^2/2

Both the 33% additional payload and the additional ~15% velocity contribute to the recoil.

12 pellets can be either 2-3/4" or 3", but generally 3" (which can go to 15).

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 12-04-2017 at 7:23 PM..
Old 12-04-2017, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomike View Post
I have a 12 ga mossberg 500.
havent shot in a few years but I used to shoot alot. Got a new shotgun exactly like the old one, in fact i put the old ones barrel on the new one. Old gun is gone but still had the short barrel.
I shot some rounds through it and noticed 1 type had huge recoil, dont remember ever being effected like that before. I was shooting Fiocci and seller and beloit (sp?). those 2 were great. Rifled slugs and 00buck.
the 3rd one, the one that kicked like hell, was also 00buck but its was 1290fps instead of 1114fps and 12 instead of 9 projectiles. Man what a difference in kick. Is it the fps or the extra 3 00balls??? I wouldnt have thought either would make such a diff.
Also had some feeding issues which I never had before with my old Mossberg. Perhaps due to not oiling the new one? Any ideas there either anyone? It seemed to be more of an issue with the 12bb 1290fps shells than the other ones.
thanks in advance for any help
Read the top of the boxes of shells.....compare each one and research any info that is printed on the box that you don't understand. All the info is printed on the box and will show gauge, shot size, weight of shot inside each shell, and how hot the shell is loaded with a little knowledge.

If you have any questions....many here will answer them

I will add that the size of the pellets leaving the barrel has nothing to do with recoil---- 1oz of lead @ 1150fps is the same regardless if its 1 solid slug or 300 pellets

If you have any questions....many here will answer them
Old 12-04-2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
I will add that the size of the pellets leaving the barrel has nothing to do with recoil---- 1oz of lead @ 1150fps is the same regardless if its 1 solid slug or 300 pellets
good point. my opinion is tainted by my using the same ammo for years, in particular, hv federal truball slugs, and 00 buck often doesn't say how many ounces, while typically being ~1.25 oz (based on 60gr/pellet)

Last edited by theLBC; 12-04-2017 at 10:10 PM..
Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
good point. my opinion is tainted by my using the same ammo for years, in particular, hv federal truball slugs, and 00 buck often doesn't say how many ounces, while typically being ~1.25 oz (based on 60gr/pellet)
I always go with
1 OOB pellet = about 1/8oz--- easy way to get very close to total oz's
Old 12-05-2017, 7:21 AM

thanks for the info. its looking like the extra 3 00 bbs is making a lot of diff. they are 23/4 shells not magnums. i tore the gun own and lubed it. will take it out again soon as i can an see how it functions. n im gonna google it and see if i can get visuals on all the lube points to make sure i do it right