Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-28-2012, 8:07 AM

Default I left my Bullet Button in Socal - Removed Mag Catch + Mag Release Entirely

ok folks... i decided to bring an ar back to socal... i bought a bullet button for this endeavor but i and mistakenly left it in socal... now its too late to get another bullet button because there are not any here in the midwest and it too late to have one shipped...

so... i removed the mag catch + mag release just like you do when installing a bullet button... its completely gone all together and i slipped a pad lock through the mag release hole...

i really dont want to be a felon... am i good till i get the bullet button installed in socal... or do i need to leave it in the midwest...

thanks folks... i have read many posts about bullet buttons and such... just nothing that specifically address this issue...
Old 12-28-2012, 8:25 AM

I'd separate upper and lower.
Old 12-28-2012, 8:36 AM
1/2 BANNED
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

take the mag release out, put an old "10" round mag into the gun, then use 2 short screws to hold it in place, that will make it a fixed mag
Old 12-28-2012, 8:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalkill View Post
This...
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM

greetings asd1...

i dont have any mags here... so if i whittled down a 2 x 4 and slid it into the mag well... wrote 10rd mag on it... run a sheet metal screw all the way through each side of the lower and the 2 x 4 i should be good...

technically the 2 x 4 would be a 10 round mag blocked to 0 rounds and i would need a cordless drill to get it out...

i think i have an old 2 x 4 and 3" sheet metal screw in the garage...
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD1 View Post
take the mag release out, put an old "10" round mag into the gun, then use 2 short screws to hold it in place, that will make it a fixed mag
That would actually work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalkill View Post
This, however, works less well.

All you have there is a disassembled 'assault weapon'.

It's true, that lower is not centerfire without an upper attached. You could put a rimfire upper on it, no magazine lock needed.

However, if it came to arrest, defending that would cost more than the value of the rifle.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 AM

Kali is so screwed up. I assume it's an OLL. Just disassemble the stock, pistol grip, and mag release, keep it locked separate from your upper and should be Ok. You could argue that it is not operational. The pistol grip and collapsible stock are the issues. The law makes no mention of a dissembled AR. The prosecution of AW is entirely upto the different DA's in the counties. Some prosecute everything others do not as long as the parts are separate. If its a banned AW, there's nothing you can do. When I retire I'm getting the F@#$% out of Kali.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
1/2 BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427TriPowered View Post
greetings asd1...

i dont have any mags here... so if i whittled down a 2 x 4 and slid it into the mag well... wrote 10rd mag on it... run a sheet metal screw all the way through each side of the lower and the 2 x 4 i should be good...

technically the 2 x 4 would be a 10 round mag blocked to 0 rounds and i would need a cordless drill to get it out...

i think i have an old 2 x 4 and 3" sheet metal screw in the garage...
that would work also. it would now be a "single" shot rifle.

but use smaller screws! say 1" you don't want it to hit the other side of the magwell an mess it up. if you put 1 in from each side it is not going to fall out.
an you do not need to write anything on it.
Old 12-29-2012, 6:51 AM
Veteran Member

Taking the upper and lower apart technically could do it but it's still risky.

I would take out the magazine button and I would also take off the pistol grip and buttstock. With all the parts off and the associated pins and springs out, you can also take off the take down pin, which would be wise anyway since it might fall off without the pin holding it in from the buttstock.

Then on your way in, stop by a gun store asap and buy a BB before you get caught.

As for magazines, if you disassemble all the components, you can still bring in "kits" but you cannot assemble them inside the jurisdiction into a new magazine. You can only use your own kit to repair your existing magazines, which you have none, so it's just a kit.
Old 12-29-2012, 7:45 AM

Location: Buckeye Arizona. Formerly of Redding, Shasta County
Default Featureless

I think it has been mentioned before, but if you remove the "evil" parts, like the pistol grip for example, then you can disassemble the entire rifle for maintenance or cleaning. That includes the bullet button in the word "entire". When you go to put it back together, even in the privacy of your own home, be aware that if you install the evil parts before the bullet button is put back on, then you are building an AW, so put the bullet button back on first before you put it back together. That is how people build guns out of parts kits by the way. That is what makes it legal to do so.

Carl
Redding CA. Shasta County, NorCal
Old 12-29-2012, 5:29 PM

rodger all that...

i have the bullet button in socal... i just forgot to bring it with me... so as soon as i get back im gonna install the bullet button...

butts till then i have it broken down... will put it all back together once i get the bullet button installed...