Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteTruth View Post
That looks awesome. I wish I had known about that before I bought mine. I don't think I would have enough time to return mine and get my money back to buy that one before the sale was over though. I'll definitely think about that though if I ever sell the Rguns one even if the sale ends. Thank you
Next time brother not only research but come on to CGN and ask a few questions. Don't be afraid, its better than regret, there may be some D bags but that's everywhere, but a lot of people have vast knowledge and will point you in the right direction.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
Next time brother not only research but come on to CGN and ask a few questions. Don't be afraid, its better than regret, there may be some D bags but that's everywhere, but a lot of people have vast knowledge and will point you in the right direction.
thanks man
Old 10-09-2012, 1:58 AM

To my knowledge, steel cased ammo is usually fine in DI guns. With some short stroke pistons, I've heard issues before but not many.

Quote:
The ATF should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

-George Washington, Operator
Old 10-09-2012, 7:34 AM

wow for 781$ shipped, thats a RIP OFF... they are using the New Frontier Lowers on those RGUNS AR's.. That plastic lower sells for 140$ out the door complete.. they are hosing you for about 300$ profit. like the other guy said, you should have did more research and bought a DPMS Oracle or a S&W MP15 Sport
Old 10-09-2012, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
...... some AR's just don't seem to like the steel stuff.
I find it kinda funny when people are amazed that mine shoots steel case I guess I just got lucky.. my brother's effectively became a bolt action when he ran steel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
thanks for the recommendation but I still want an AR. Personally I think the Kel-tec is kinda ugly no offense. I think M4's look bad ***.
Aaaaand there goes all the credibility in your argument that you're seriously just getting this for S hitting the F...
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

OP, beware: Everyone on Calguns is under pyramid illuminati Obama alien mind control. Buy gold and ammo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 PM

IMHO a good weapon should function with whatever is available. case in point... Four years ago whe Obummer was first elected I could only find oddball batches of Russian .223/5.56 ammo. I mean it was siver bear, brown bear, hangover bear, Wolf and some other mystery stuff and assorted bullet weights and some hollow points thrown in. It was all loose in an ammo box and I shot it all (a full Ammo box) of it in one sitting, rapid fire, slow fire. Not a single miss. Some of it was kinda stinky... Yes a little dirtier than the usual, but not that bad. While no accuracy testing was done it did shoot bowling pins into skins.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

This thread and OP are perfect examples of why one should research every major purchase. This day in age it is no excuse to not use Google at your absolute disposal.
Old 10-09-2012, 1:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Is this the gun?

Is this the gun in question? It's about the least expensive AR I've ever seen, whether it's a great deal depends on how it shoots. (You could always upgrade to an aluminum lower if the poly gives you trouble.)

Link, $588 shipped:
http://black-star-tactical.com/NFAM4.html

Pics:

Old 10-09-2012, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chead View Post
OP, beware: Everyone on Calguns is under pyramid illuminati Obama alien mind control. Buy gold and ammo.
Just make sure you don't buy steel ammo.

Better yet - buy GOLD AMMO! My extensive research indicates that it will shoot reliably out of any gun except for ugly guns and those without forward assists. BUT WHO WANTS A GUN LIKE THAT ANYWAY?

When the federal reserve bank finally gets the multi chip brain implant credit card audiovisual feed tracking device installed you're going to have 5 days before the cities burn and guess what? Ugly guns don't like smoke. Sure, they may shoot steel, but when you're trying to get back in the fight after you get an FTF because the goddamned Illuminatiens snuck a steel round in your case of ammo, you'll be damn glad that the Probama nun abortionist rioters are so flipping awestruck by your tacced-out $600 AR 15 that you'll earn precious seconds to activate your forward assist and execute a perfect El Presidente on that beeyotch.

WHAT NOW, FUTURE DENIER OSTRICHES!?
Old 10-09-2012, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Obviously, the best weapon is the one that will work under horrible conditions beyond range queen status. But, seeing how the S*** hasn't HTF yet I see no point in not getting the good stuff. Not only that, but I think most of the ranges in my area won't you let you shoot steel 'ammo...

I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...
Old 10-09-2012, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
[snip]

WHAT NOW, FUTURE DENIER OSTRICHES!?
lmaooo

Incidentally I do have an RFID implant and I may vote for Obama. Coincidence? I THINK NOT. Granted, I put the chip in, but still!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 10-09-2012, 2:18 PM

On a related note I saw and bought some Tula .223 from wally world today for $4.99 a box.
Old 10-09-2012, 3:44 PM

if you bought this rifle for shtf then i'd suggest that you try to run a little of everything through it, that way you know what you can and can't do with the rifle and you're not hopeing for it to work when it really counts and you don't have the ammo they want you to run, lets face it during shtf you'll use whatever you can since i doubt you'll be able to go buy the ammo they want you to run. my ARs run everything you just need to keep them clean.
Old 10-09-2012, 5:33 PM

I took a carbine course with my $1600 AR and used Wolf. The chamber got so hot from all the simulated combat that a primer popped out and when I ejected the failed round the primer fell into my trigger group and took me out of the game and could have really damaged my rifle. I won 2nd place in the simulated gunfight. My instructors told me this is why they only use NATO spec ammo. 223 is not NATO spec. 5.56 is (most of the time).
Plinking is one thing. Training for some real sh*t is quite another.
Just sharing something I learned the hard way.
Old 10-09-2012, 5:55 PM

No ammo is 100% perfect all the time.
It's just the way life is. bad batches happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyCakes View Post
I took a carbine course with my $1600 AR and used Wolf. The chamber got so hot from all the simulated combat that a primer popped out and when I ejected the failed round the primer fell into my trigger group and took me out of the game and could have really damaged my rifle. I won 2nd place in the simulated gunfight. My instructors told me this is why they only use NATO spec ammo. 223 is not NATO spec. 5.56 is (most of the time).
Old 10-09-2012, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

You could have bought something better for the price you paid, and you could have built something much better for the price you paid, but at the end of the day, most manufacturers recommend using factory new brass cased ammo and whether the gun cycles steel cased ammo is only going to depend on your gun. Some like it some don't. In other words, if you get buyer's remorse, it's not because it won't cycle a certain type of ammo, its going to be because it's just a piece of crap.

Also, I didn't see if mentioned (But I'm also not going to dig through 5 pages of flaming) but when you get the gun check whether it is actually chambered in 5.56 or .223 and follow ammo guidelines accordingly. Anyway, it's not ammo I would be worried about. If you can make it happen, honestly, I would return it and get something better, but that's just me.

Last edited by Meety Peety; 10-09-2012 at 6:19 PM..
Old 10-09-2012, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyCakes View Post
Thanks for the info. Would a chrome lined barrel help reduce the heat because I'm thinking about returning the Rguns and getting a PSA and the PSA is chrome lined.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...m-carbine.html
Old 10-09-2012, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
Is this the gun in question? It's about the least expensive AR I've ever seen, whether it's a great deal depends on how it shoots. (You could always upgrade to an aluminum lower if the poly gives you trouble.)

Link, $588 shipped:
http://black-star-tactical.com/NFAM4.html

Pics:

That is basically the rifle I bought but instead of the polymer lower I had it swapped with metal Rguns lower and a hogue grip put on it.
Old 10-09-2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Thank you for this I am 99% sure I'm going to return it it just came into my FFL.
This wasn't posted to persuade you to return it. I posted it to prove that even nato spec ammo can be defective...

I have assembled rifles using rguns upper assemblies and put together some pistols for a friend using their stuff. I have no complaints. I would keep it if i were you.

Although, the S&w mp sport is probably the best deal on the market from a known manufacuter.

Warranties don't mean crap in Shtf scenario. If you're that worried, buy extra parts to service your gun..... lpk's, bolt parts kits ,,, you know, the parts that may fail.

over the past 20 years , I have exclusivly used steel case ammo in all my armalite pattern guns... grease and lube is the secret...........
Old 10-09-2012, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquefliteterror View Post
This wasn't posted to persuade you to return it. I posted it to prove that even nato spec ammo can be defective...

I have assembled rifles using rguns upper assemblies and put together some pistols for a friend using their stuff. I have no complaints. I would keep it if i were you.

Although, the S&w mp sport is probably the best deal on the market from a known manufacuter.

Warranties don't mean crap in Shtf scenario. If you're that worried, buy extra parts to service your gun..... lpk's, bolt parts kits ,,, you know, the parts that may fail.

over the past 20 years , I have exclusivly used steel case ammo in all my armalite pattern guns... grease and lube is the secret...........
Yeah but did the Rguns uppers have problems with steel cased ammo when you shot them? I need something that is going to shoot steel. it just seems there are other manufacturers that have products with less problems. I want an AR 15 that will shoot more than 200 rounds with steel before getting a jam. Its a hard decision because everywhere I go I see bad things spoken of regarding Rguns. I've been looking at M4carbine.net and most people there are saying Rguns are not worth it....
Old 10-09-2012, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah but did the Rguns uppers have problems with steel cased ammo when you shot them? I need something that is going to shoot steel. it just seems there are other manufacturers that have products with less problems. I want an AR 15 that will shoot more than 200 rounds with steel before getting a jam. Its a hard decision because everywhere I go I see bad things spoken of regarding Rguns. I've been looking at M4carbine.net and most people there are saying Rguns are not worth it....
no , all of them worked fine..... you've got to remember , most AR companies are nothing more than Ar assemblers... they buy batches of parts from different manufactureres or have them built to their spec and then assemble them into a functioning rifle.....
I only use the zinc coated steel case silverbear , back in the day I went through 1000 rounds of wolf laquer coated with zero problems.... GREASE the bolt and OIL the gas rings............ Guns and mechanical items love grease and oil.....

Last edited by torquefliteterror; 10-09-2012 at 7:12 PM..
Old 10-09-2012, 7:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I can fully recommend BCM, as can many others.

Remember Filthy 14:
http://mscg.yuku.com/topic/5658#.UHTnV1E2c44

That's one tough gun, now up to 40,000 rounds. Should be durable enough even for the SHTF scenario

Link:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_138/1...00_rounds.html
Old 10-09-2012, 7:23 PM

Mr. Truth, Even the mighty BCM flavor of the week is prone to issues.....
I am of the opinion that most manufacturers today are good quality but all are prone to some issues. Most people just don't lube ...or forget to.
read thread below.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=629878
Old 10-09-2012, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquefliteterror View Post
Mr. Truth, Even the mighty BCM flavor of the week is prone to issues.....
I am of the opinion that most manufacturers today are good quality but all are prone to some issues. Most people just don't lube ...or forget to.
read thread below.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=629878
Thanks for this
Old 10-09-2012, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF_CAM View Post
wow for 781$ shipped, thats a RIP OFF... they are using the New Frontier Lowers on those RGUNS AR's.. That plastic lower sells for 140$ out the door complete.. they are hosing you for about 300$ profit. like the other guy said, you should have did more research and bought a DPMS Oracle or a S&W MP15 Sport
Actually it was 733.00 and I had them swap me out the polymer lower with a metal Rguns lower.
Old 10-09-2012, 9:29 PM

would you guys recommend this?

Old 10-09-2012, 9:32 PM

No.
Old 10-09-2012, 9:34 PM

I have seen extractors rip off the rim without this upgrade, I don't see how more tension would solve a case not shrinking fast enough, the reason why they have FTE.
Old 10-09-2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker70 View Post
On a related note I saw and bought some Tula .223 from wally world today for $4.99 a box.
WHAT CITY?

so, i skipped from page 1 to 7.

some1 have cliffnote version here? what happened??
Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc27 View Post
WHAT CITY?

so, i skipped from page 1 to 7.

some1 have cliffnote version here? what happened??
'OP bought a weapon for SHTF.
'OP presented gun to CGN for opinions.
CGN members s**t all over the 'OP and his gun.
Myk uses thread as an excuse to brag about how great his Colt M4 is.
AK fans use thread to promote AK's.
Due to peer pressure 'OP is now buying a more acceptable gun.
Steel 'ammo sucks, but so do people who don't shoot them.
Kate Upton is f**king gorgeous.

Any questions?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:00 AM

I still don't understand why OP is so traumatized by potential malfunctions.
every single weapon and every single ammo malfunctions. period
(only weapon that never malfunction is the one stays in safe)

I have even seen pump shotgun and bolt rifle malfunction due to ****ty ammo or dirty magazine tubes.

The point is, do you know how to deal malfunction under stress? A proficient marksman should be able to clear most malfunctions without even looking into action.
If you don't know how, then you are screwed regardless you have a 500 dollar Kel-tec or a 2000+ SCAR/F2000/SL8/whatever

Last edited by Lugiahua; 10-10-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugiahua View Post
I still don't understand why OP is so traumatized by potential malfunctions.
every single weapon and every single ammo malfunctions. period
(only weapon that never malfunction is the one stays in safe)

I have even seen pump shotgun and bolt rifle malfunction due to ****ty ammo or dirty magazine tubes.

The point is, do you know how to deal malfunction under stress? A proficient marksman should be able to clear most malfunctions without even looking into action.
If you don't know how, then you are screwed regardless you have a 500 dollar Kel-tec or a 2000+ SCAR/F2000/SL8/whatever
I'm mainly worried about FTE. Not much you can do under stress to fix that...
Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Actually there is, drawl your secondary and fight on.
Old 10-10-2012, 1:01 AM

Quote:
a common double feed (type III) can be cleared between 10 to 15 seconds, a broken case would be a real jam that disable a weapon.

but in either case, as mentioned above, you should either transition to a secondary or consider a retreat.
Old 10-10-2012, 3:13 AM

Last edited by AbsoluteTruth; 10-10-2012 at 3:30 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 6:30 AM

Honestly ive had a LoT of problems with steel cased .223 ammo in my ar's. lots of broken case rims and stuck cases. Nowadays brass is only going through my ar's.
Old 10-10-2012, 7:31 AM

To OP, I suggest you just buy an AK variant rifle like a WASR and be done with it! It's made to fire steel cased ammo! It's a very reliable!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Calguns Addict

SIGH. Guess I'm going to have to get an AK too...