Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-12-2009, 4:10 PM

Hunting licence, etc: you only need to fill out section 10 if any person listed in section 9 is a "nonimmigrant alien". Otherwise no need to fill it out.
Old 05-12-2009, 7:19 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I need to go change the form to allow a variable font size, sorry guys. I'll get working on this.

Turby
Old 05-13-2009, 9:46 AM
Administrator

NOW UPDATED!

Font sizes will automatically shrink if you have a lot of text to enter. Please try out this version and let me know what you think.

Same link as before:

Removed for now - official BATFE form is now available

Turby

Last edited by Turbinator; 06-07-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Hey Turbinator you should offer this up to the ATF. Maybe they would implement it.

-Jason
Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
Hey Turbinator you should offer this up to the ATF. Maybe they would implement it.

-Jason
We can share it with the ATF... for a FEE.. they must help us fight to get Class 3 / Title 2 items legal in CA. Those are the terms of the offer.

Turby
Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks Turby!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amurphy View Post
Thanks Turby!!!
Sure - let me know if the new font sizing thing fixes your issues.

Turby
Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
We can share it with the ATF... for a FEE.. they must help us fight to get Class 3 / Title 2 items legal in CA. Those are the terms of the offer.

Turby
lol nice!

-Jason
Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Sure - let me know if the new font sizing thing fixes your issues.

Turby
It does. Though I already sent in my app. Printed out everything else and wrote in the fields that didn't have enough space. If I get rejected cause of hte difference will use the new one and be all set.

Thank you for doing this. Hopefully it will get more people to fill it out and send it in.

We need to save EVERY rifle and handgun we can from those nasty 'Buy-back' events.....( Little pissed about the pictures I have seen from the last couple)
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It does. Though I already sent in my app. Printed out everything else and wrote in the fields that didn't have enough space. If I get rejected cause of hte difference will use the new one and be all set.

Thank you for doing this. Hopefully it will get more people to fill it out and send it in.

We need to save EVERY rifle and handgun we can from those nasty 'Buy-back' events.....( Little pissed about the pictures I have seen from the last couple)
Thanks for helping to test it out. Once we work out all the kinks, I'd like us to try to farm it out far and wide to see if the entire country wants to use this form. The idea of offering it to the ATF actually isn't a bad idea, I really wonder why they haven't done this already themselves?

Yup - together we can all save a C&R firearm.

Turby
Old 05-13-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for helping to test it out. Once we work out all the kinks, I'd like us to try to farm it out far and wide to see if the entire country wants to use this form. The idea of offering it to the ATF actually isn't a bad idea, I really wonder why they haven't done this already themselves?

Yup - together we can all save a C&R firearm.

Turby

That is because having this in a downloadable form makes it that much easier for them and us to save money and makes for even more gun owners....

I think pretty much all the kinks are worked out. Some of the check mark boxes are different size or no all in a line.

Only other thing I could suggest is a full re-write so it isn't a scan, but a fresh form. I didn't look very closely at mine when I printed it, but how well do the fold marks come out?

I really like how it fills out both copies. Having it scalable really helps. I can fit 3 addresses in the space now and having a line between each of them makes it come out perfect. This allows the FULL address to be typed in. I can fit 5 Full addresses in before it puts on a scroll bar. I really hope a person doesn't need more than that. Beyond the 5 it would be totally unreadable. Even at this size the font is tiny but readable.

Will play with it some more, though I don't think I will find anything else.
Old 05-13-2009, 1:06 PM
Administrator

The fold marks were annoying on the CLEO page, but I figured since the fold is across the credit card information area, I wasn't too concerned. I haven't printed the form yet to see how bad the fold marks print out.

If it's a big problem, I can iron out the original app form and rescan it, and see if that helps make it better. I agree, if we are going to circulate this thing worldwide all the way to Egypt, we'd better make it look professional.

Glad you tested the new fonts and it works for you. This should make it much easier for those with more inputs to make the form workable.

Turby
Old 05-13-2009, 1:11 PM

Glad to help out.
Old 05-13-2009, 2:20 PM
Administrator

Running on my OSX Mac (yeah, I know, I know... ) and Adobe Reader 8.1.4 I get size differences in the font.

1. Name (Capital prints as 5/16" high) is bigger than 2. address (Capital prints as 4/16")

4. county, 5. telephone, 6. trade/business is VERY big (Capital prints 6/16") but it all fits in the blocks perfectly.

The whole credit card name/number data block is the same (on second look, the address block is a bit smaller, barely more than 2/16"), but smaller than anything above it (Capital prints 3/16") - actually, I'd vote for all of it to be this size. The 'I am paying...' is the same size as 1.

9. information for each... is fine. (Capital prints 4/16") What's the right word for the 'position' of an individual? 'collector'? 'individual'?

Name of CLEO is same size as 1. name, and Address of CLEO is larger, apparently same as 4. Still all fits in the space on the form.

It's all perfectly readable and all fits on the form.

Beats heck out of my handwriting!

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 05-13-2009 at 2:26 PM..
Old 05-13-2009, 2:50 PM
Administrator

I can adjust the auto size of the fonts by sizing down the form fields as needed if you don't like how large the fonts are coming out. Would this be preferable?

Turby
Old 05-13-2009, 3:00 PM

From looking at it as a rushed person in the ATF office view, The areas that have the largest font need to be read clearly and quickly (trying to get through a few hundred thousand apps can NOT be fun)

If any change just make all the font size the same except where it gets scaled down for space. ( I have no clue how hard that is at all )
Old 05-13-2009, 3:34 PM

Soo.. Just looked at my credit card statement. They charged me the $30 on the 11th. I mailed that thing on the 7th. 4 days and with the printed form! So hopefully it gets processed quickly.
Old 05-13-2009, 3:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Soo.. Just looked at my credit card statement. They charged me the $30 on the 11th. I mailed that thing on the 7th. 4 days and with the printed form! So hopefully it gets processed quickly.
Awesome!! I wonder if that's a new record?

Ok, on the font size, I might play with that this week just to make it all uniform. Else.. I think I agree, bigger is better as along as it fits on the lines.

Turby
Old 05-13-2009, 5:10 PM

It must be a new record for them.

For the font I agree that larger is better. The largest that will fit.
Old 05-13-2009, 8:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Awesome!! I wonder if that's a new record?

Ok, on the font size, I might play with that this week just to make it all uniform. Else.. I think I agree, bigger is better as along as it fits on the lines.

Turby
If, as earlier discussed, one wants to 'sell' ATF on it, then having is the same would be an important aspect.

Otherwise, it serves perfectly well as-is. Thanks for the work!

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 05-14-2009, 9:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
If, as earlier discussed, one wants to 'sell' ATF on it, then having is the same would be an important aspect.

Otherwise, it serves perfectly well as-is. Thanks for the work!
You're welcome. I'm looking forward to more people picking this up and using it. Maybe sizing it down slightly is in order. I didn't get a chance last night, but perhaps this weekend.

I wouldn't know where to go to get the ATF to start using it. I figure if more citizens start turning in these typed forms, they'll go investigate from where it came, and then ask that way? Let's get it widely used first, then we'll go from there.

Anyone want to cross post it to AR15.com and elsewhere?

Turby
Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Banned

I sent my forms out yesteday, Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 2:24 PM

got a question... there are 7 pages in the PDF. it looks like there are 2 copies. now my question is... do i seperate the 2 copies in the pdf send1 to the BATF and 1 to the local CLEO? or do i have to send a seperate copy of the entire 7 pages to the CLEO?
Old 05-15-2009, 2:30 PM
Administrator

Separate the 7 pages - send the one WITHOUT credit card info to the CLEO.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-15-2009, 2:31 PM

the first 2 double-sided pages (4-pages total) are the ATF copy, while the second set of 2 double-sided pages are for the CLEO.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-15-2009, 2:45 PM

sweet thanks! i'm glad i printed this out at work instead of waisting ink and paper here at home! lol this is going out in the mail tomorrow!
Old 05-15-2009, 6:47 PM

Don't know if any licenses have been issued to the PDF applicants yet, but they seem to charge credit cards almost immediately upon receipt of the application, good sign hopefully!
Old 05-16-2009, 8:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongfoo View Post
sweet thanks! i'm glad i printed this out at work instead of waisting ink and paper here at home! lol this is going out in the mail tomorrow!
Thanks for using the PDF form, the more users there are, the better.

Now, I have a question, the instructions that I also scanned that go along with the application, I guess they aren't clear what to do? (Just checking - I don't mean this as an insult, but...) On the instruction sheet, item # 3, it tells you what to do with the CLEO copy. Did you happen to read this? Item #2 tells you what to do with the "original" copy.

I only ask because I want to make sure this thing is nearly bulletproof.

Thanks,
Turby
Old 05-16-2009, 8:57 AM

Turby, the thing I noticed is that BATE put "copy 1 - ATF copy" and "copy 2 - CLEO" on the front of each page, since it wouldn't be needed on the back of the double-sided page. With the PDF being 7 pages, not all of them note what copy they are. Plus the red font didn't scan very dark.

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-16-2009, 8:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
Turby, the thing I noticed is that BATE put "copy 1 - ATF copy" and "copy 2 - CLEO" on the front of each page, since it wouldn't be needed on the back of the double-sided page. With the PDF being 7 pages, not all of them note what copy they are. Plus the red font didn't scan very dark.
Thanks. I guess I can either rescan it, or type some text onto the form to indicate which is which. I'll take a look at it...

Turby
Old 05-19-2009, 5:44 AM

Well, my co-worker got his 03FFl yesterday using the PDF forms. Mine is going to be a while as I forgot to initial some things. But now we know that it works.
Old 05-19-2009, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llpl3ss View Post
Mine is going to be a while as I forgot to initial some things.
I did almost the same thing. I checked a few boxes instead of initialing. It took an extra three weeks.

Great to hear that this works though. This should make it a lot easier for people to start getting their 03s now that they don't have to wait months just for the application.

NRA Member

WTB:
Ruger 10/22
.22 Revolver
Double Barreled 20 Ga.
C&R SKS
C&R Single Shot Bolt Action .22
Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llpl3ss View Post
Well, my co-worker got his 03FFl yesterday using the PDF forms. Mine is going to be a while as I forgot to initial some things. But now we know that it works.
That is awesome validation that the PDF form works. Thank you very much for the feedback!

Turby
Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Awesome that we can now save the form. Well, originally I couldn't and I didn't install a new reader, so it couldn't have been on my end.

Couple little annoyances: All the "X" marks that I put on the questionaire were in the most part different sizes. I would have liked to see them all the same font size. But that's not a real issue as just part of my perfectionist-ism.

In the 5 year address section, when you hit tab, it skips around. Not consecutive write blocks.

***Edit Nothing to see here, move along. haha

BTW, this is fantastic for you to have done. I misplaced my green form waiting for a new job and finding out that this PDF actually works, can be typed and saved in, is just awesome.

Last edited by mievil; 05-20-2009 at 10:13 PM..
Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
, It would be awesome if you could do a 5330.20 as well.
:
what for? The CoC is built into the current C&R app.

But anyways, here you go, http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf

Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM

Possibly because I'm an idiot and thought that both forms were required. Disregard. Mailed everything out today.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Banned

As seen above I sent my payment on the 13th, the check cleared on the 19th. Thats pretty fast for a check!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazilla View Post
As seen above I sent my payment on the 13th, the check cleared on the 19th. Thats pretty fast for a check!
I sent mine on a Thursday and it cleared Monday. Working pretty fast over there.
Old 05-21-2009, 6:28 AM
Banned

So does cashing the check mean it's pretty much a done deal or do they take your money then refund if you get shot down?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazilla View Post
So does cashing the check mean it's pretty much a done deal or do they take your money then refund if you get shot down?
They take the money first. If it is a no-go then they refund the money.