Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-30-2017, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUCA2AFTW View Post
You totally don't get it.
What if I don't have a "standard smartphone".
What if I don't have a digital camera or means to submit a digital image?

I can't own a friggin' rifle if I don't have a camera?
It's a joke. How about trying to understand *just a little bit* the diversity of people and their lifestyles here in California.
Yup I just double-checked and see you reside in Coastal California...which might explain a few things.

Oh wait...can I take it to the same place that takes my passport photo?
Yeah, that would go over well, walking into CVS or the main post office with an AR lol.
I understand all that. I also understand that it's 2017.
You need an internet connection to register. You need a credit card to pay. It's not so crazy to own a device capable of taking digital pictures.

They arent even expensive. These 40 dollar cameras would be more than sufficient for this exercise.

https://www.amazon.com/GordVE-GVE001...digital+camera

https://www.amazon.com/Bonna-mega-pi...digital+camera

It's a good idea to have a digital camera "just in case" these days. Might get in a car accident, witness some police misconduct, whatever.. It's a item like a pocket knife, flashlight, etc that can come in handy just when you need it.
Old 11-30-2017, 6:35 PM

I have a problem with the cross-checks stated in the registration paperwork. I was a Florida resident from from 2009 through October 2013, and I registered all my pistols with the state but not my long OLL long guns because it was not required till January 2014. I put bullet buttons on them and never had a problem because they were not listed firearms from previous bans. Now how do I register them now? Same goes with all the other OLL's I purchased prior to leaving since I don't know where the DROS paperwork went.

Last edited by veeklog; 11-30-2017 at 8:05 PM..
Old 11-30-2017, 6:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
I understand all that. I also understand that it's 2017.
You need an internet connection to register. You need a credit card to pay. It's not so crazy to own a device capable of taking digital pictures.

They arent even expensive. These 40 dollar cameras would be more than sufficient for this exercise.

https://www.amazon.com/GordVE-GVE001...digital+camera

https://www.amazon.com/Bonna-mega-pi...digital+camera

It's a good idea to have a digital camera "just in case" these days. Might get in a car accident, witness some police misconduct, whatever.. It's a item like a pocket knife, flashlight, etc that can come in handy just when you need it.
Tell that to my dad who neither has internet nor cell phone.

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 11-30-2017, 6:47 PM

Default What a crap show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
Update on my scar... I resubmitted stating that the firearm was in its shortest possible configuration. They rejected and responded with this:

I then resubmitted stating what they asked and also added the fact that a photo is impossible due to the lack of viewability.

5 minutes late I receiver the confirmation will be notified by mail email
I just received reg. papers for a Scar without any nonsense regarding length/folding, etc. Clearly not a standardized review process. Sorry you had to go through that.
Old 11-30-2017, 8:49 PM

Thank you, bronco75a.
Great infor
Old 11-30-2017, 9:09 PM

Wait till you see the wait times on the kickbacks trying to de-list it.
Old 11-30-2017, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

People who don't own a computer, how would they even know they are supposed to register? It's not like it's on the evening news.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:30 PM

Maybe you all can help me..

I’m attempting to register my two rifles but have run into 3 issues.

1) one of my lowers isn’t listed by brand, and yes this was part of a complete rifle long prior. Should I just pick some random brand and add comments?

2) I cannot recall the shop where I bought one lower and for the other the shop went out of business. Should I just add in comments?

3) dates...can’t seem to remember when I bought them.
Old 12-01-2017, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvardan View Post
Maybe you all can help me..

I’m attempting to register my two rifles but have run into 3 issues.

1) one of my lowers isn’t listed by brand, and yes this was part of a complete rifle long prior. Should I just pick some random brand and add comments?
I would also be interested in this as I have a few guns built on lowers from a smaller manufacturer and am hoping I don't run into this issue either.
Old 12-01-2017, 9:58 AM

You are supposed to select U S as the make and place the model as the model
Old 12-01-2017, 11:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Update on my scar... I resubmitted stating that the firearm was in its shortest possible configuration. They rejected and responded with this:

I then resubmitted stating what they asked and also added the fact that a photo is impossible due to the lack of viewability.

5 minutes late I receiver the confirmation will be notified by mail email
Does changing this make it a "different" firearm? FGG would say yes, even though the DoJ (currently) claims that only altering the mag release from its registered configuration is illegal.

Does nobody else see a problem with this? Why would the DoJ demand this unless in the future, they plan to make the case that changing the configuration makes the firearm a "different" firearm.

Scumbags.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 12-02-2017, 6:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
Does changing this make it a "different" firearm? FGG would say yes, even though the DoJ (currently) claims that only altering the mag release from its registered configuration is illegal.

Does nobody else see a problem with this? Why would the DoJ demand this unless in the future, they plan to make the case that changing the configuration makes the firearm a "different" firearm.

Scumbags.
Similar logic they use with the roster. Change the color of the grip on a handgun, it is now a "different' gun altogether and must go throught the testing process.

The ultimate goal is to ban all firearms and confiscate all the firearms in California.
Old 12-03-2017, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

If a rifle has green furniture and a black finish to the metal, is it green or is it black?

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 12-03-2017, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock Tom View Post
People who don't own a computer, how would they even know they are supposed to register? It's not like it's on the evening news.
Exactly. I was talking with a friend last night about all of this. It was news to him but he figured since he had gone through the background check when he bought his AR it was registered. I told him not so, but he didn't really believe me.

How many will not register through sheer absence of awareness of the requirement?

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 12-03-2017, 8:40 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Has anyone who is joint registering been able to get through all “feedback cycles” and get the final pending e-mail prior to starting the process for the joint person? Or do they sit on things and wait for the other registration to be submitted?

Asking because I’d rather not have two times the back and forth.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
Exactly. I was talking with a friend last night about all of this. It was news to him but he figured since he had gone through the background check when he bought his AR it was registered. I told him not so, but he didn't really believe me.

How many will not register through sheer absence of awareness of the requirement?
The same thing happened last time there was open registration for AW's. I can't count the amount of times oldtimers who bought so called "AW's" tell me it's "registered" when they bought it X years ago. It's painful to watch.....but I suspect this cluster f**k registration scheme is by deliberate design to entrap California gun owners into felonys. Lose gun rights FOREVER is the plan.

The state of California thinks ALL gun owners are the enemy to be crushed.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Expect to start seeing those "so what about this new law" threads at some time around August next year.

(Most) California gun owners can be summed up in one word: apathy. Not only to stop such laws, but then to not even know they have gone into force until they are victims of it, then whine and cry about 'Kalifornia' with a K.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If a rifle has green furniture and a black finish to the metal, is it green or is it black?
It identifies itself as black.

The leftists should be OK with that one.

Old 12-06-2017, 7:02 PM

Default Anderson Lowers

Hi All - the Anderson lowers are marked .223/5.56. Those and some others with similar roll marks I put down as 5.56 came back rejected with:

Thank you for submitting your application. Based on the information provided, the caliber for this firearm is stamped as MULTI. Please change the caliber listed on your application to "Firearm with interchangeable barrels," which is the option for MULTI caliber firearms on the application.

Refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5474(b) for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf

Hope this post saves someone some PITA ;-)
Old 12-06-2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @miller View Post
Hi All - the Anderson lowers are marked .223/5.56. Those and some others with similar roll marks I put down as 5.56 came back rejected with:

Thank you for submitting your application. Based on the information provided, the caliber for this firearm is stamped as MULTI. Please change the caliber listed on your application to "Firearm with interchangeable barrels," which is the option for MULTI caliber firearms on the application.

Refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5474(b) for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf

Wow good info! Thanks for posting!
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Ok.. that's different from my experience, but if that's what they're going with now, Ill let my buddy know who still needs to register a few.

It's total BS that the DOJ cant post up a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) that clarifies what they're looking for when it comes to things like this. Probably would take them an hour.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
BLACK

I registered my Colt M4 carbine that had the green Magpul furniture throughout to include the pistil grip and fore grip, the receiver and barrel were black of course. I submitted the color as black and had no issue.

Same with my AK-47 - black receiver and brown furniture and just listed the color as black and that too was accepted with no issue.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:41 PM

They accepted my wider shots on the TAVOR SAR of the left/right side of the receiver - damn near included all of the weapon minus the barrel protruding out. They don't seem to be aware on bullpups the receiver is in back of the trigger housing.

They then sent me another Incomplete Notice saying: Gun Model: TAVOR SAR-FD16CA Gun Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO. The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration; however, it cannot be processed for the following reason(s):

Additionally, Based on the photos provided, the model of your firearm is "TAVOR SAR". Please correct your application to reflect TAVOR SAR as your model number.

I changed the Model number to TAVOR SAR (which matched what was stamped on the receiver) and they approved it the next day.

Silly me for originally listing the model number that was on the DROS paperwork figuring they'd compare the two and see if they matched. Apparently not.

And also for the TAVOR SAR and probably TAVOR X95 as well include as an optional image a picture of the barrel because that's where the caliber of the weapon is located.

I also included two comments: There is a 4 1/2 " muzzle brake on the end of the barrel (I didn't want them to think it was a flash suppressor as I didn't check that box) and included is an optional image of the barrel that denotes the caliber of the rifle.

They seem to be pretty fast now in responding to resubmissions at least that was my experience. Now just waiting on the letters to come in the U.S. mail.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco75a View Post
They accepted my wider shots on the TAVOR SAR of the left/right side of the receiver - damn near included all of the weapon minus the barrel protruding out. They don't seem to be aware on bullpups the receiver is in back of the trigger housing.

They then sent me another Incomplete Notice saying: Gun Model: TAVOR SAR-FD16CA Gun Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO. The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration; however, it cannot be processed for the following reason(s):

Additionally, Based on the photos provided, the model of your firearm is "TAVOR SAR". Please correct your application to reflect TAVOR SAR as your model number.

I changed the Model number to TAVOR SAR (which matched what was stamped on the receiver) and they approved it the next day.

Silly me for originally listing the model number that was on the DROS paperwork figuring they'd compare the two and see if they matched. Apparently not.

And also for the TAVOR SAR and probably TAVOR X95 as well include as an optional image a picture of the barrel because that's where the caliber of the weapon is located.

I also included two comments: There is a 4 1/2 " muzzle brake on the end of the barrel (I didn't want them to think it was a flash suppressor as I didn't check that box) and included is an optional image of the barrel that denotes the caliber of the rifle.

They seem to be pretty fast now in responding to resubmissions at least that was my experience. Now just waiting on the letters to come in the U.S. mail.
Is your brake pinned and welded?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrew View Post
Is your brake pinned and welded?
Not at all.

Just left it like I bought it.

Pretty sure you have to weld it if you change it to featureless. Someone more knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Not at all.

Just left it like I bought it.

Pretty sure you have to weld it if you change it to featureless. Someone more knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong.
The extended muzzle device on a tavor is a flash hider. So to go to featureless, one would have to remove it and install an extended muzzle brake and pi and weld that
Old 12-07-2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
The extended muzzle device on a tavor is a flash hider. So to go to featureless, one would have to remove it and install an extended muzzle brake and pi and weld that
Mine already came with the IWI TAVOR aluminum 4 5/8" muzzle brake when I bought it. I imagine most people who bought the weapon in State already have that muzzle brake installed. But that answers the question - to make a TAVOR featureless you have to weld it to the end of the barrel.

Last edited by bronco75a; 12-07-2017 at 5:39 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Mine already came with the IWI TAVOR aluminum 4 5/8" muzzle brake when I bought it. I imagine most people who bought the weapon in State already have that muzzle brake installed. But that answers the question - to make a TAVOR featureless you have to weld it to the end of the barrel.
Are you sure it’s a muzzle brake and not a flash hider?
Old 12-07-2017, 6:34 PM

Quote:
https://iwi.us/product/tavor-5-56-al...le-brake-4-58/

Positive.
Old 12-07-2017, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yes the IWI muzzle device is a muzzle brake not a flash hider. You do have to pin and weld to stay featureless. There is conflict in the regs regarding pining for a AW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 6:49 PM

Gotcha.. I have one and I couldn’t remember
Old 12-07-2017, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Default LIST OF DOJ AW REGISTRATION REJECTIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
I wonder how the "kickbacks 3 months later" is going to be handled by DOJ with people that register the day before the registration deadline.

Are they going to be able to correct mistakes?

Are they screwed?

The whole fiasco is a big fail!

The general consensus is that if you submit a registrations before the deadline, you will be allowed to make corrections to your application to complete the process post deadline date.

Old 12-08-2017, 6:02 AM

Quote:
still doesn't seem like a victory to me while every other part of the country look at our bullet button guns like were idiots for staying in this state.

its like a sports game and the score is 50-0... and were saying their last two points don't count so its really 48-0 and that is a victory.... nope, we still lost...lol

there really isn't a single victory real victory or pro 2a event in the history of this state.
Sounds like it’s time for you to move.
Old 12-08-2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
The general consensus is that if you submit a registrations before the deadline, you will be allowed to make corrections to your application to complete the process post deadline date.

The thing to be careful of there is that the reg says if you don't resolve the rejection within 30 days, you have to resubmit and pay fee again. At that point it may be too late. It will be interesting to see if they cut it off at 30 days after 6-30-18, or allow back and forth as long as not 30 days between re submissions. I am at #3 on some of mine...I thought it would be fun to pick one gun and keep it going forever till they give up :-)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
Has anyone who is joint registering been able to get through all “feedback cycles” and get the final pending e-mail prior to starting the process for the joint person? Or do they sit on things and wait for the other registration to be submitted?

Asking because I’d rather not have two times the back and forth.
I did mine and my wife's at the same time, when I would have to make a correction on my applications, I would then have to go in and correct hers as well. She informed me that both of our letters came in the mail same day.

Quote:
The thing to be careful of there is that the reg says if you don't resolve the rejection within 30 days, you have to resubmit and pay fee again. At that point it may be too late. It will be interesting to see if they cut it off at 30 days after 6-30-18, or allow back and forth as long as not 30 days between re submissions. I am at #3 on some of mine...I thought it would be fun to pick one gun and keep it going forever till they give up :-)
I'm basically doing that with my pistol, has my own serial, I'm out of the country so I can't go put one of their serials on it until I get back and that won't be until next August. The application still shows as in progress, been kicked back a few times and I just keep resubmitting it and telling them the situation. I just recently sent them another error message asking them how to proceed, if they will accept my serial, or to have me get a serial from them, engrave it after I get back and then update the application, sometime around mid to late August.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:29 PM

Default Serial Number Requests

My BOF 1008 forms came back rejected today ( I snail mailed them). One rifle out of all on the list did not include a "model" I just put "NA" in the box - so all got rejected (How do they know "NA" is not the model number?)

ATF marking requirements do not include model number.

Rejection letter says "Model number is required, if the firearm does not have an assigned model number, please enter the one that your firearm closely resembles"

The reason I find that messed up is that there were multiple forms in the mailing and they found a problem with one and rejected them all.

Can we get a vote on what model number I should add to the form?

I say "FU2DOJ" would be appropriate.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My BOF 1008 forms came back rejected today ( I snail mailed them). One rifle out of all on the list did not include a "model" I just put "NA" in the box - so all got rejected (How do they know "NA" is not the model number?)

ATF marking requirements do not include model number.

Rejection letter says "Model number is required, if the firearm does not have an assigned model number, please enter the one that your firearm closely resembles"

The reason I find that messed up is that there were multiple forms in the mailing and they found a problem with one and rejected them all.

Can we get a vote on what model number I should add to the form?

I say "FU2DOJ" would be appropriate.

Use the model on your DROS form.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
I did mine and my wife's at the same time, when I would have to make a correction on my applications, I would then have to go in and correct hers as well. She informed me that both of our letters came in the mail same day.

I'm basically doing that with my pistol, has my own serial, I'm out of the country so I can't go put one of their serials on it until I get back and that won't be until next August. The application still shows as in progress, been kicked back a few times and I just keep resubmitting it and telling them the situation. I just recently sent them another error message asking them how to proceed, if they will accept my serial, or to have me get a serial from them, engrave it after I get back and then update the application, sometime around mid to late August.

Reasoning with the DOJ is a lost cause. It’s highly unlikely they’ll grant an exemption until August. Your own serial number isn’t going to be accepted. You’ll need a DOJ serial number. The good news since you included your wife as co-registrant, she may legally posses the AW. Assuming she’s not out of the country also, she may take it to have it engraved and send in the corrections.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:10 PM

Default These are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Use the model on your DROS form.

Home builds - no DROS
Old 12-08-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Home builds - no DROS

Assuming you have a DOJ serial number engraved, did you engraved anything else on it. If so use that. If not find an AR pattern not on the banned by name list and use that. Keep all their emails.