Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-31-2016, 7:44 PM
mshill's Avatar
mshill mshill is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,715
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default Bullpups and DOJ overall length definition...

Quote:
{x) "Overall length of less than 30 inches" with respect to a centerfire rifle means the rifle has been measured in the shortest possible configuration that the weapon will function/fire and the measurement is less than 30 inches. Folding and telescoping stocks shall be collapsed prior to measurement. The approved method for measuring the length of the rifle is to measure the firearm from the end of the barrel, or permanently, attached muzzle device, if so ecquiped to that part of the stock that is furthest from the end of the barrel, or permanently attached muzzle device. (Prior to taking a measurement- the owner must. also check any muzzle devices for how they are attached to the barrel.
It seems to me that this may be a new definition requiring the muzzle device to be permanently attached to reach the 30" oal requirement.

This becomes problematic for bull pup owners that thought they were going to go featureless. To do so you would need to pin and weld your muzzle device.

This seems like the DOJ is trying to sneak some stuff in that was previously defined otherwise. This appears to give bullpup owners no choice but to register.
__________________
Quote:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-31-2016, 7:55 PM
SkylineGTR06's Avatar
SkylineGTR06 SkylineGTR06 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 219
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I see it as a problem for the Tavor people, but AUG people with 20" barrels should be good.

What other bullpups are out there have the removable extension?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2016, 8:00 PM
pacrimguru's Avatar
pacrimguru pacrimguru is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,574
iTrader: 184 / 100%
Default

"Overall length of less than 30 inches"... What does that even mean? Sounds to me that you can go less than 30". If they want a minimum of 30", wouldn't they write, "Overall length of a minimum of 30 inches"?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-31-2016, 8:59 PM
inferno999's Avatar
inferno999 inferno999 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 550
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

OP,
Where is this text from?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-31-2016, 9:01 PM
Discogodfather's Avatar
Discogodfather Discogodfather is offline
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,094
iTrader: 3 / 80%
Default

It's confusing as hell. Previously AW was defined as 26" in length, and because of CA SBR laws you can't go underneath that. They always have measured the opposite of what the feds do. Federal law defines that the way to measure is at it's maximum length, i.e. you unfold or make the firearm adjust to it's maximum length. CA DOJ said measure when everything is at it's minimum, meaning folded or collapse,etc.

Maybe we need to ask the question more directly: what does the new language about length mean? Do you have to meet the definition of length without the muzzle attachment? Does it also mean mean that you can use the muzzle device in the length equation if you permanently attach it, but not if you don't?

I thought AW was 26" for the new "category" of AW? Am I wrong and it's still 30"?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2016, 9:10 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 22,824
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
It's confusing as hell. Previously AW was defined as 26" in length, and because of CA SBR laws you can't go underneath that. They always have measured the opposite of what the feds do. Federal law defines that the way to measure is at it's maximum length, i.e. you unfold or make the firearm adjust to it's maximum length. CA DOJ said measure when everything is at it's minimum, meaning folded or collapse,etc.

Maybe we need to ask the question more directly: what does the new language about length mean? Do you have to meet the definition of length without the muzzle attachment? Does it also mean mean that you can use the muzzle device in the length equation if you permanently attach it, but not if you don't?

I thought AW was 26" for the new "category" of AW? Am I wrong and it's still 30"?
Since 01-01-2000, CA assault weapons laws have had a minimum 30" overall length requirement for semi-auto centerfire rifles.

CA SBR/SBS laws have a minimum 26" overall length requirement.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2016, 9:15 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 22,824
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno999 View Post
OP,
Where is this text from?
From the new regulations that CA DOJ BOF released yesterday.


11 CCR 5471
For purpose of Penal Code section 30515 and this Chapter the following definitions shall apply:
(x) "Overall length of less than 30 inches" with respect to a centerfire rifle means the rifle has been measured in the shortest possible configuration that the weapon will function/fire and the measurement is less than 30 inches. Folding and telescoping stocks shall be collapsed prior to measurement. The approved method for measuring the length of the rifle is to measure the firearm from the end of the barrel, or permanently attached muzzle device, if so equipped, to that part of the stock that is furthest from the end of the barrel, or permanently attached muzzle device. (Prior to taking a measurement the owner must also check any muzzle devices for how they are attached to the barrel.)
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2016, 9:19 PM
Discogodfather's Avatar
Discogodfather Discogodfather is offline
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,094
iTrader: 3 / 80%
Default

So this means that you have to meet 30" length without a detachable muzzle device. If you perm attach then you can use it in the overall length.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-31-2016, 9:19 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 422
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default going to have to get a new barrel of pin it

Sounds like you would have to make it permanent. But I always thought that was just for 16'' minimum barrel length, not OAL.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-31-2016, 9:19 PM
mshill's Avatar
mshill mshill is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,715
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

The text is from the "new" DOJ proposed AW regs.
The 30" minimum OAL (feature) has always been part of the CA AW law, however, I didn't think it required a permanent mzlle device to reach it.
__________________
Quote:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-31-2016, 9:22 PM
Devon Devon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 422
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default broken logic

They may as well state the the stock has to be permanently affixed then as well, same logic.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-31-2016, 9:25 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 22,824
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

In the past...
Feds required permanently attached muzzle devices to be included in a firearm's overall length.
CA did not require permanently attached muzzle devices to be included in a firearm's overall length.

With the new regulations, CA is adopting what the Feds required for measuring overall length in regards to muzzle devices.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-31-2016, 9:27 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 22,824
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Seems to me...

If you have a featureless semi-auto centerfire rifle, then muzzle device needs to be permanently attached to meet the minimum 30" overall length requirement.

If you have a semi-auto centerfire rifle with a "bullet button" maglock and are registering it as an assault weapon, then the muzzle device does not need to be permanently attached to meet the minimum 30" overall length requirement.
^After it has been registered as an assault weapon, there is nothing in the new regulations that will prevent the removal of the muzzle device to reduce the overall length to 26" or greater.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-31-2016, 9:54 PM
pacrimguru's Avatar
pacrimguru pacrimguru is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,574
iTrader: 184 / 100%
Default

Prior to the 2017 regulations, it was my understanding that your BB rifle had to be at least 30" in length to avoid being classified as an AW. Therefore if it was under 30", it would be considered an AW, and had to be greater than 26" to avoid being an SBR. Incorrect?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-31-2016, 10:13 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 22,824
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrimguru View Post
Prior to the 2017 regulations, it was my understanding that your BB rifle had to be at least 30" in length to avoid being classified as an AW. Therefore if it was under 30", it would be considered an AW, and had to be greater than 26" to avoid being an SBR. Incorrect?
That is correct.

SBR = overall length of less than 26"
AW (semi-auto centerfire rifle) = overall length less than 30" to 26".
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-31-2016, 10:18 PM
kayakbriang kayakbriang is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lodi
Posts: 196
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

What is the opinion on registering a saiga 12 with bb and later converting to a bullpup stock, still with bb?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-31-2016, 10:21 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 22,824
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakbriang View Post
What is the opinion on registering a saiga 12 with bb and later converting to a bullpup stock, still with bb?
Barrel length needs to be 18" or greater.
Overall length needs to be 26" or greater.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-31-2016, 10:22 PM
b18rexracer b18rexracer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 61
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

So what does this all mean for the FN PS 90? They have 4" barrel extensions to make them 30" that are held on with a sleeve and set screws. Do I need to find some way to permanently attach it?

I was really hoping to ditch the extension and horrible BB after registering.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-31-2016, 10:27 PM
Discogodfather's Avatar
Discogodfather Discogodfather is offline
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,094
iTrader: 3 / 80%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18rexracer View Post
So what does this all mean for the FN PS 90? They have 4" barrel extensions to make them 30" that are held on with a sleeve and set screws. Do I need to find some way to permanently attach it?

I was really hoping to ditch the extension and horrible BB after registering.
If it doesn't meet 30" without it than yes.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-31-2016, 10:29 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 22,824
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18rexracer View Post
So what does this all mean for the FN PS 90? They have 4" barrel extensions to make them 30" that are held on with a sleeve and set screws. Do I need to find some way to permanently attach it?

I was really hoping to ditch the extension and horrible BB after registering.
If you make it featureless, than you will need to permanently attach the barrel extension so that it makes the minimum 30" overall length.

If you register it as an assault weapon, then after it becomes a RAW; you need to keep the "bullet button" maglock + 10 round magazine, but it appears you can remove the barrel extension as long as the overall length is 26" or greater.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-31-2016, 11:37 PM
tonyxcom's Avatar
tonyxcom tonyxcom is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,355
iTrader: 42 / 100%
Default

What text in the new PC or new Regs lead you to believe RAW's need to be >30" when registered?

Is this because they aren't RAWs yet?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-01-2017, 12:12 AM
pacrimguru's Avatar
pacrimguru pacrimguru is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,574
iTrader: 184 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
That is correct.

SBR = overall length of less than 26"
AW (semi-auto centerfire rifle) = overall length less than 30" to 26".
Thanks for the clarification Q.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-01-2017, 5:10 AM
Zyralius Zyralius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Good ole California
Posts: 454
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

For featureless people where should one go to have it permanently attached?

Last edited by Zyralius; 01-01-2017 at 5:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-01-2017, 5:28 AM
Zyralius Zyralius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Good ole California
Posts: 454
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
If you make it featureless, than you will need to permanently attach the barrel extension so that it makes the minimum 30" overall length.



If you register it as an assault weapon, then after it becomes a RAW; you need to keep the "bullet button" maglock + 10 round magazine, but it appears you can remove the barrel extension as long as the overall length is 26" or greater.


How does this work if we need to send pictures of the rifle to be registered as RAW with the 30" OAL and muzzle break to meet compliant now but later take it off once registered? I thought you can't alter your rifle from the original picture you send into the DOJ when registering? Just wondering. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-01-2017, 5:55 AM
Dump1567's Avatar
Dump1567 Dump1567 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,563
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyralius View Post
How does this work if we need to send pictures of the rifle to be registered as RAW with the 30" OAL and muzzle break to meet compliant now but later take it off once registered? I thought you can't alter your rifle from the original picture you send into the DOJ when registering? Just wondering. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know where people are getting that idea. All it says in the new Regs is that you can't change out the mag release (even though they argue a BB is just as fast as a regular mag release). People were buying lowers like crazy during the month of December and the DOJ knows this. I don't know where people got the idea they could register a stripped lower. It doesn't meet the definition of the new law.

Personally I think the pics are more for proof that you own a now registrable AW and not just a lower or parts kit. Like current AW's, you can do whatever you want to it.

People forget that when the CA 2000 AW registration took affect, the Federal assault weapons ban was in effect. If you didn't own a pre-ban AW, you were limited to two features under Fed. law. When that expired in 2004, all those CA registered fixed stocked AR's quickly had collapsible stocks and flash hiders installed. Still within the definition of the CA assault weapon.

So I don't see how the CA DOJ can limit you to what you can do with your firearm after registration. Did anyone keep their off roster single shot pistol a single shot after they picked it up? Also something registered with the DOJ to conform to the law, and than quickly changed and still conforms to the law.

Again, all my opinion.
__________________
Watch & Pray

Last edited by Dump1567; 01-01-2017 at 5:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-01-2017, 6:06 AM
Drew Eckhardt Drew Eckhardt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,595
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyralius View Post
How does this work if we need to send pictures of the rifle to be registered as RAW with the 30" OAL and muzzle break to meet compliant now but later take it off once registered?

I thought you can't alter your rifle from the original picture you send into the DOJ when registering?
You can do anything which isn't prohibited by law or regulation, and only replacing the magazine release is forbidden by the proposed 11 CCR 5477.

Quote:
5477. Registration of Assault wapons Pursuant to Peanl Code Section 30900(b)(1) Post-Registration Modification of Registered Assault Weapons, Prohibition.
(a) The release mechanism for an amunition feeding device on an assault weapon registered pursuant to Penal Code section 30900, subdivision (b)(1) shall not be changed after the assault weapon is registered
At this point the pictures are just required to prevent people from registering stripped lowers.

5477 is a tactical attempt to make poorly written law function as legislators wanted and strategic push to expand the California executive branch's legislative power.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-01-2017 at 6:12 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-01-2017, 6:09 AM
Zyralius Zyralius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Good ole California
Posts: 454
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
You can do anything which isn't prohibited by law or regulation, and only replacing the magazine release is forbidden by the proposed 11 CCR 5477.







At this point the pictures are just required to prevent people from registerring stripped lowers.


Still undecided. Anyone know someone in Sacramento that can drill, pin and weld my brake on my Tavor?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-01-2017, 6:11 AM
rromeo's Avatar
rromeo rromeo is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Radford, VA
Posts: 6,197
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

With the stripped lowers, I figure that most people figured it would be easy, just send in serial numbers and build later. Like in '86 with the machine gun cutoff, receivers and sears were being made to the minimum just to get registered in time. I know of a guy that has at least 500 registered machine guns, and a lot of them are just flat pieces of metal.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-01-2017, 6:12 AM
Iggy_M Iggy_M is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Whittier, Ca
Posts: 72
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
If you make it featureless, than you will need to permanently attach the barrel extension so that it makes the minimum 30" overall length.

If you register it as an assault weapon, then after it becomes a RAW; you need to keep the "bullet button" maglock + 10 round magazine, but it appears you can remove the barrel extension as long as the overall length is 26" or greater.

So what if our gun is 30" without the muzzle device? Like my Ar anf Ak. If i go featurless i need to weld/pin it?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-01-2017, 6:17 AM
Zyralius Zyralius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Good ole California
Posts: 454
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_M View Post
So what if our gun is 30" without the muzzle device? Like my Ar anf Ak. If i go featurless i need to weld/pin it?


If already 30" without muzzle brake you should be good to go. This mainly pertains to bullpup as they are now changing it that if you don't register it, you will have to have at least 30" OAL without muzzle device. This was never a issue before 2017. As long as the brake makes the rifle 30" and your barrel it at least 16" it didn't need to be permanently attached. It's when you had a 14.5" barrel then it would as it needs to be 16" barrel OAL in CA.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-01-2017, 6:25 AM
Malthusian Malthusian is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,215
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
You can do anything which isn't prohibited by law or regulation, and only replacing the magazine release is forbidden by the proposed 11 CCR 5477.



At this point the pictures are just required to prevent people from registering stripped lowers.

5477 is a tactical attempt to make poorly written law function as legislators wanted and strategic push to expand the California executive branch's legislative power.

Well said

The CADOJ wants as much information as possible

The guys who bought 26 lowers in Dec, will need to show they are complete and functional "all at the same time" by Dec 31st, 2016 to register as AW's in 2017

CA Law usually never states what is allowed, only what is not allowed

LEO's will not have a photograph of the AW, only a serial number to reference
__________________
Quote:
"While it may come as a surprise to the authors of the legislation, most semi-automatic pistols do in fact come with a pistol grip"
Quote:
Malthusianism is the idea that population growth is potentially exponential while the growth of the food supply is arithmetical at best.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-01-2017, 7:26 AM
AlexDD AlexDD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 903
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Seems to me...

If you have a featureless semi-auto centerfire rifle, then muzzle device needs to be permanently attached to meet the minimum 30" overall length requirement.

If you have a semi-auto centerfire rifle with a "bullet button" maglock and are registering it as an assault weapon, then the muzzle device does not need to be permanently attached to meet the minimum 30" overall length requirement.
^After it has been registered as an assault weapon, there is nothing in the new regulations that will prevent the removal of the muzzle device to reduce the overall length to 26" or greater.


Assume for featureless you are correct. Measurements are from end of stock to end of barrel or permanently affixed device.

So yesterday, those with featureless Tavors, AUGs, FS2000 that had an unpinned extended muzzle brake were legal.

Today they wake up to find they are in possession of an assault weapon?

So with 2 days notice on a holiday weekend, DOJ gets to make them in violation.

So if they fix after today, longer barrel, fixed device, longer stock, have they have still violated the law. Where does the law allow a grace period to fix? It seems no matter what they do now at the stroke of midnight are f'd

What charge?

1.) Possession
2.) Manufacturing - not sure - would that be ex-post facto? They manufactured prior if they did the work (converted from BB to featureless prior 1/1/17)

My assumption is the definitions have the force law as of today.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-01-2017, 8:04 AM
mshill's Avatar
mshill mshill is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,715
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDD View Post
Assume for featureless you are correct. Measurements are from end of stock to end of barrel or permanently affixed device.

So yesterday, those with featureless Tavors, AUGs, FS2000 that had an unpinned extended muzzle brake were legal.

Today they wake up to find they are in possession of an assault weapon?

So with 2 days notice on a holiday weekend, DOJ gets to make them in violation.

So if they fix after today, longer barrel, fixed device, longer stock, have they have still violated the law. Where does the law allow a grace period to fix? It seems no matter what they do now at the stroke of midnight are f'd

What charge?

1.) Possession
2.) Manufacturing - not sure - would that be ex-post facto? They manufactured prior if they did the work (converted from BB to featureless prior 1/1/17)

My assumption is the definitions have the force law as of today.
This guy gets it. This was something that was legally possessed between 1/1/2001 and 12/31/2016 that did not meet the (new) definition of an AW that is now an AW due to the regulation.

Seems to me that the DOJ would have to allow the registration of what was a previously featureless SACF rifle (without a BB) because it now has an OAL <30".
__________________
Quote:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-01-2017, 9:49 AM
b18rexracer b18rexracer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 61
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Regarding the FN rifle it has a 16" barrel and a 26" OAL without the barrel extension. I always assumed I'd have to register it but I didn't think I'd have to weld/pin the barrel extension on it or buy a 4" brake or a 20" barrel. But from the conversations in this thread it seemed like that when I first posted my question.

Now people are saying if you register then 26" OAL is ok.

How are you suppose to get actual clear answers on ANY of this stuff without accidentally incriminating yourself?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-01-2017, 9:50 AM
Zyralius Zyralius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Good ole California
Posts: 454
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

I guess wait and see.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-01-2017, 12:15 PM
mshill's Avatar
mshill mshill is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,715
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18rexracer View Post
Regarding the FN rifle it has a 16" barrel and a 26" OAL without the barrel extension. I always assumed I'd have to register it but I didn't think I'd have to weld/pin the barrel extension on it or buy a 4" brake or a 20" barrel. But from the conversations in this thread it seemed like that when I first posted my question.
Only to be featureless.

Quote:
Now people are saying if you register then 26" OAL is ok.
After AW registration is complete.

Quote:
How are you suppose to get actual clear answers on ANY of this stuff without accidentally incriminating yourself?
As for my used to be featureless Tavor, I register as is and they either accept it without a BB or reject it as still featureless thereby negating their own regulation (<30" with non-permanent muzzle device. Either way I still have a Tavor with a standard mag release, and documents to support its legality.
__________________
Quote:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Zyralius Zyralius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Good ole California
Posts: 454
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
As for my used to be featureless Tavor, I register as is and they either accept it without a BB or reject it as still featureless thereby negating their own regulation (<30" with non-permanent muzzle device. Either way I still have a Tavor with a standard mag release, and documents to support its legality.
Wait what? You registered yours already? Let me know. I am undecided because I only considered registering my Tavor if I can remove the 5" brake and have a regular mag release.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-01-2017, 12:26 PM
AlexDD AlexDD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 903
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Only to be featureless.





After AW registration is complete.







As for my used to be featureless Tavor, I register as is and they either accept it without a BB or reject it as still featureless thereby negating their own regulation (<30" with non-permanent muzzle device. Either way I still have a Tavor with a standard mag release, and documents to support its legality.


Couldn't they charge you with possession of an assault rifle?

You would have to pay legal costs to defend and risk conviction.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-01-2017, 12:27 PM
AlexDD AlexDD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 903
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

This assumes you don't pin the brake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-01-2017, 12:28 PM
mshill's Avatar
mshill mshill is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,715
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyralius View Post
Wait what? You registered yours already? Let me know. I am undecided because I only considered registering my Tavor if I can remove the 5" brake and have a regular mag release.
"I register...", as in will register. My goal is the same as yours...
__________________
Quote:
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:21 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.