Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Default FN49 SPARE PARTS

Hi Fellas,

I'm getting ready to start acquiring spares for my FN49s before it's too late. Are the after market 2 piece firing pins the same for 7mm & 8mm. I'm not seeing any listing differences from the various sources. What about the FP springs, are they the same as the one piece and other calibers?
Any other suggested spares I should be getting that are still available?
Thanks in advance, PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 06-02-2018, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Get an extractor spring. I broke two over the years on mine. I have one you can have for the postage. I also suggest a piston return spring.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 06-02-2018, 2:00 PM

Haven't seen the aftermarket firing pins yet (link?), but I do know that some FN-49s have a safety slot in the rear pin. IIRC the 7mm Venezuelans have it but the 8mm Egyptians do not.
Old 06-02-2018, 4:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Probably extractors too. Do you have the special wrench (spanner) which is used to remove the muzzle devices as well as a slot to help turn the gas shut off?

The wrenches look like this. I sold some of these years ago... Not sure if I have any left...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Funny story about the FN49 two and single piece firing pins.

I purchased a very nice early Vene contract from a fellow member on calguns many years ago. It's the finest example of an FN49 I own and it's the only single piece firing pin I have.

I have Wayne Johnson's book too, I got it with the rifle. He recommends everyone change out the single to a dual piece because of the dreaded single firing pin breaking and it slam firing as a result.

I wanted to make the change so I ordered a two piece from numrich. Not sure what the difference is between a 7mm or 8mm/06 version but there was no distinction. Everything looked about right and I made the swap.

The two piece firing pin immediately seized up. Basically, the hole in the bolt face was not large enough and there was a weird mismatch of the tapers (the end of the pin is tapered). I lightly tapped the firing pin so it was loose again and then removed it to inspect. I decided to just keep it a single firing pin since the exact opposite of what is always described (and recommended) was true.

I think there is some fitting required on two piece pins or any replacement. I don't think they were meant to drop in.

FP springs are always nice and the extractors too- I got a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 06-03-2018, 2:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

The pins I've seen listed were from Liberty Tree, SARCO, Apex... are NOS. I thought I'd get an 8mm barrel and a couple 2 piece FPs and various springs while they're still around. I've got a Farouk that looks to have seen action (hence the barrel spare), and recently scored an unissued Vinny beauty with an under 4000 serial (supposed to be 2 piece FPs after 4000), that I haven't really dove into. It came with a bayo, scabbard, and sling. They are still mechanically foreign to me, unlike my beloved SKSs that I've been messing with for over a decade. I've heard that the rest of the FN guts are not generally being prone to failure but I'm not taking any chances. I've only just recently taken the plunge, and moved up the milsurp semi food chain with an SVT40 and 2 FNs and have been in negotiation with another shooter grade Vinny. Luckily the SVT I picked up came with a ton of extra bits that I don't recognize all of. I'm not tearing into those platforms until I have decent references in hand. I've got a couple early manuals and gas adjust wrenches for both, and I'm on Wayne's list for his second printing. I posted the same inquiry on Gunboards too and he and I have been conversing as well. Thanks for the offer smle-man. I'm going to try and get as much as I can find/afford to maintain them operationally. Thanks for the responses from actual users. PAX

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own

Last edited by echo1; 06-03-2018 at 2:44 AM..
Old 06-03-2018, 2:47 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

I'd not change that early Vene's firing pin to a two piece. I think the slam fire phenomenon was under extreme hard use by Beligan troops in Southeast Asia, not on the range. The one piece pins are hard to find though.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 06-03-2018, 3:43 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

I may have a new 8mm barrel for the Egyptian 49 if you want it.

And for SVT, and depending on the condition of your gas adapter and piston cup, you may want to get these stainless ones.

http://www.ppsh41.com/svtitems.html

If these may be needed:
https://youtu.be/yYiKIHMAeD8

https://youtu.be/70pIKvs31a0

Last edited by MosinVirus; 06-03-2018 at 3:49 AM..
Old 06-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
I may have a new 8mm barrel for the Egyptian 49 if you want it.

And for SVT, and depending on the condition of your gas adapter and piston cup, you may want to get these stainless ones.
Thanks MV for the additional input. I'd rather spend the money "In House" and expand my contacts within our collector community. PMs inbound to you and smle-man. I always ask individual folk first before going to the commercial vendors. I know we're all a bunch of junkies for our hobby and never throw ANYTHING away PAX

Old 06-03-2018, 9:56 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
Thanks MV for the additional input. I'd rather spend the money "In House" and expand my contacts within our collector community. PMs inbound to you and smle-man. I always ask individual folk first before going to the commercial vendors. I know we're all a bunch of junkies for our hobby and never throw ANYTHING away PAX
Answered your PM. I lied. Can't find that barrel so I assume I sold it. Probably here on Calguns.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:33 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Numrich has a pretty impressive stock of FN49 stuff, including bolt heads in all calibers and some barrels. Pretty decent prices too, I was thinking of pickup up a spare bolt head and a 8mm NOS barrel.
Quote: