Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 12-06-2017, 9:04 PM

Default LA County, just for the record...

Please excuse me if this has been discussed prior. I could not find it in a search.

I have worked for over 15 years as a private contractor, mostly surveillance and information gathering. Over the years I have had to give depositions and testimony that has understandably drawn attention from some of the groups I have worked to keep clients safe from and, naturally, I have been threatened multiple times by said groups and individuals therein.

I also work as a photographer and the nature of my work has me shooting on locations rather than in a studio. The equipment I use is obscenely expensive, not all locations are in the best parts of town, and often I am photographing at night. There have been a few "close calls".

Even considering the above, I have never considered putting myself through the agony of applying for a CCW in LA County and even now I basically laugh at the idea of wasting my time doing so.

Recently, however, my wife and I bought life insurance since we have very young children. That got me thinking. Having been a shooter for most of my life for both recreation and competition, I am safe and very competent with my firearms. It occurred to me to apply for the CCW just to have the inevitable rejection on record, so that if anything ever happens to me, my family may have cause to file a legal complaint against the county or the sheriff's department.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done this or if anyone knows of any case where something of the like has occurred.
Old 12-06-2017, 9:45 PM

I totally understand your position. The equipment I carry on my person for a photo shoot is worth more than my car and is easy for a criminal to take it from me to sell on line. After many years of stories of gear theft, last month I decided to apply for a CCW permit as a business owner. I have completed the class, interview and livescan and am just waiting now.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

I am an amateur photographer and the contents of my bag and tripod are in excess of 10k.

I used to do a lot of night shoots years ago all over OC and LA and always brought my pistol with me.

I know I was taking a chance of getting caught, but its not worth the risk of waiting for permission.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Forget about getting a CCW in order to set the Sheriff up for a wrongful death suit. They have immunity from something like that.

Consider moving to Orange County or Ventura County. Possible establishing residency in gun friendly state like Kansas if the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act Passes. The key would be what is required to be considered a resident under the laws of that state.

Last edited by Chewy65; 12-07-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM

Isn't carrying a handgun a misdemeanor? Not so bad.
Old 12-07-2017, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Photog View Post
I totally understand your position. The equipment I carry on my person for a photo shoot is worth more than my car and is easy for a criminal to take it from me to sell on line. After many years of stories of gear theft, last month I decided to apply for a CCW permit as a business owner. I have completed the class, interview and livescan and am just waiting now.
Seriously, I use a Phase One medium format setup on a technical camera. That along with all the accompanying gear is insane. Insurance has the equipment covered, but it would be nice to have myself covered as well.

If you remember, would you please update me on the status of your application when you find out?
Old 12-07-2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack956 View Post
I am an amateur photographer and the contents of my bag and tripod are in excess of 10k.

I used to do a lot of night shoots years ago all over OC and LA and always brought my pistol with me.

I know I was taking a chance of getting caught, but its not worth the risk of waiting for permission.
Makes sense when you weigh the pros and cons. It is just unfortunate that we have to do such a thing. I am pretty straight forward about following the law, but this is one situation where I feel the law is simply not on our side. It is a tough decision to make, but in the terms you lay it out with, it makes sense.
Old 12-07-2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Forget about getting a CCW in order to set the Sheriff up for a wrongful death suit. They have immunity from something like that.

Consider moving to Orange County or Ventura County. Possible establishing residency in gun friendly state like Kansas if the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act Passes. The key would be what is required to be considered a resident under the laws of that state.
I wouldn't say I am trying to "set the Sheriff up", but I know what you are saying and I believe that you are more than likely correct that they would be immune from accountability. It was just a thought to give the family yet one more option in the unfortunate circumstance. In any event, I really wonder if it has ever been done.

I would really like to move out of California. My wife is the active murderer of that dream. I do really like Orange County though, especially relative to LA. Maybe I could convince her one day. I do have the out of state CCW option covered already in case the Reciprocity Act passes, and that is a very good suggestion. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Old 12-07-2017, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodythedog View Post
Is it? Wouldn't they also confiscate? I would hate to lose the ability to purchase firearms or apply for a CCW in the future.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:12 PM

Bob Lindsey for Sheriff 2018. Read his Facebook posts. Very clear.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It is the first time you are caught. Do it again and it is a felony, and you lose your 2A rights in every state, forever. So yeah, pretty bad.

And yes, a misdemeanor handgun related conviction would probably torpedo any chance you had of getting CCW in this state.

Old 12-09-2017, 5:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnercesian View Post
I wouldn't say I am trying to "set the Sheriff up", but I know what you are saying and I believe that you are more than likely correct that they would be immune from accountability. It was just a thought to give the family yet one more option in the unfortunate circumstance. In any event, I really wonder if it has ever been done.

I would really like to move out of California. My wife is the active murderer of that dream. I do really like Orange County though, especially relative to LA. Maybe I could convince her one day. I do have the out of state CCW option covered already in case the Reciprocity Act passes, and that is a very good suggestion. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Your first mistake was to have a wife in the first place lol. Just sayin!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 12-09-2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Your first mistake was to have a wife in the first place lol. Just sayin!
Oh man. I was drinking a cup of coffee when I read this and had a slight incident. Thankfully I quickly shifted aim away from my computer. Brilliant!
Old 12-10-2017, 3:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Oh man. I was drinking a cup of coffee when I read this and had a slight incident. Thankfully I quickly shifted aim away from my computer. Brilliant!
Glad you didn't damage your computer and that I could provide a few laughs!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

Old 12-10-2017, 8:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Do you have a PI license? I'd be pretty cautious about admitting to doing "surveillance and information gathering" on a public forum without having the proper licensing, since all of that is regulated.

As far as any lawsuit or complaint goes, good luck with that. Pretty simple idea here, you voluntarily placed yourself in a hazardous situation no one in the county or sheriff's office forced you. The Supreme Court has already ruled that LE or govt has no duty to protect individuals (see DeShaney V. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, and Castle Rock v. Gonzales). I'm not really sure what the basis of a lawsuit would be. At least until we get a court ruling that the 2nd Amendment applies to carrying a firearm outside of a home.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Do you have a PI license? I'd be pretty cautious about admitting to doing "surveillance and information gathering" on a public forum without having the proper licensing, since all of that is regulated.

As far as any lawsuit or complaint goes, good luck with that. Pretty simple idea here, you voluntarily placed yourself in a hazardous situation no one in the county or sheriff's office forced you. The Supreme Court has already ruled that LE or govt has no duty to protect individuals (see DeShaney V. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, and Castle Rock v. Gonzales). I'm not really sure what the basis of a lawsuit would be. At least until we get a court ruling that the 2nd Amendment applies to carrying a firearm outside of a home.
Yes, we are fully licensed.

As for the potential of a lawsuit, I figured it was a long shot, and hoped that it would never be the case since that would mean something bad actually happened to me. Was just curious if it had already been hashed out in court before.
Old 12-11-2017, 1:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes, we are fully licensed.

As for the potential of a lawsuit, I figured it was a long shot, and hoped that it would never be the case since that would mean something bad actually happened to me. Was just curious if it had already been hashed out in court before.
The simple thing to do would be to move to a ccw friendly county and yes, it is simple. If you want a ccw than do it!

Old 01-03-2018, 9:11 PM

Same story here. Finally reside outside of LA and going to try my luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-03-2018, 10:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Only read the OP.

FWIW, the LA Co sheriff has his butt in a sling. The California State Auditor found several things wrong/illegal with his practices. Go to
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1319779&page=4 and start w/my post, #125

He's under their microscope. He's got, IIRC, about a month more to show he's stopped charging 3 illegal fees and he's got until March to show that he's either broadened his CCW policy re. GC to cover the CCWs he's actually issued, or to, I guess, revoke those CCWs to make the CCWs he's issued conform to his current policy. The first way could help you (and would allow more people to get LACSD CCWs), but the 2nd won't.

So, for the next several months, it will be interesting to observe what changes the sheriff is forced to make.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
It is the first time you are caught. Do it again and it is a felony, and you lose your 2A rights in every state, forever. So yeah, pretty bad.

And yes, a misdemeanor handgun related conviction would probably torpedo any chance you had of getting CCW in this state.
Gents,

A first time offense for CCW is a felony if the weapon is not registered in AFS to the violator. Please refer to PC section 25400(c)(6).

The same is true for the offense of carrying a loaded firearm. Please refer to PC 25850(c)(6).

Both are the type of felonies that a prosecutor can reduce to misdemeanor (commonly called a "wobbler") but there is no assurance that the prosecutor will do that. The DA in Los Angeles County pretty much did not and used the felony charge for leverage in plea bargaining.