Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-06-2018, 7:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
So, if I'm understanding, they want to skip the panel and go to an en banc directly? Is this commonly done? I've never heard of it (IANAL). I guess the logic is, spend minimum time at the 9CCA level, to go to cert faster? This is good, because I think cert isn't a thing that California wants at this point, and California might just do a risk assessment and decide that fighting this case at SCOTUS isn't desirable, just like what happened with Wrenn.
Following the issuance of a three judge panel order or opinion, parties may seek rehearing before an en banc court.
source
The question is, “how does this affect the plaintiff “Young”?
Old 10-06-2018, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
The question is, “how does this affect the plaintiff “Young”?
I'm more wondering, how does Young affect this appeal? I'm reading their brief and it's well written and a good read, but... it cites the Young panel, over and over. IANAL and I'm wondering ... does that make sense? If Young is accepted en banc (which is likely), the panel decision becomes depublished and is no longer precedent, right? In which case, this Flanagan brief loses most of its support.
Old 10-06-2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
I'm more wondering, how does Young affect this appeal? I'm reading their brief and it's well written and a good read, but... it cites the Young panel, over and over. IANAL and I'm wondering ... does that make sense? If Young is accepted en banc (which is likely), the panel decision becomes depublished and is no longer precedent, right? In which case, this Flanagan brief loses most of its support.
Yes, but for now it's controlling precedent. They need to milk the crap out of Young.
Old 10-06-2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
So, if I'm understanding, they want to skip the panel and go to an en banc directly? Is this commonly done? I've never heard of it (IANAL). I guess the logic is, spend minimum time at the 9CCA level, to go to cert faster? This is good, because I think cert isn't a thing that California wants at this point, and California might just do a risk assessment and decide that fighting this case at SCOTUS isn't desirable, just like what happened with Wrenn.
Following the issuance of a three judge panel order or opinion, parties may seek rehearing before an en banc court.
source
Maybe I missed it, but I thought CA is asking for en banc directly, Plaintiffs are well served with Young controlling 9th Circuit precedent.
Old 10-07-2018, 9:05 PM

now since kavanaugh is now confirmed...if flanigan sucessfully goes enbanc and its gets denied ...the supreme court might take it now since kennedy is gone..the person im weary as of now is roberts..he is now the deciding vote..it used to kennedy. enbanc might be a good thing..they might approve ccw and stop it there....like illinois..after all ..new york...new jersey..massachetts..maryland ..hawaii..dont want ccw shall issue..

ALSO...

all forms of open carry in calif. was banned prior to flanigan being filed ..so.. it wont be tainted like peruta was.

Last edited by stag6.8; 10-07-2018 at 9:10 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 9:13 AM

There are many exemptions to the California open carry ban.

Voting "Yes" on a California bond measure is like giving a degenerate gambler more money because he says he has the game figured out....

John 14:6
Old 10-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

And now, we have 4 women clerking for Kavanaugh...don't feel so overly confident...yet..
Old 10-08-2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
There are many exemptions to the California open carry ban.
None which allow a regular citizen to openly carry a loaded firearm in an urban area unless that citizen is running away from someone who is actively trying to kill you, or trying to stop or capture a person who is actively trying to kill someone else. Like Hawaii, security guards in uniform get a pass, but that's about it.