Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 AM

Default Need Recent LASD Advice

I passed my interview recently and now I meet my BI and turn in my packets and all that. Once I get my case ID I plan on going on some RA's to see how things go.

What can I expect from the next phases? Does LASD have a physical test before academy? Whats academy like (currently). What should I expect from here on?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 5:27 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Some people in the LASD process take a pre employment PFT, some don't. The structure has gone back and forth over the years. Everyone obviously must pass a POST certified PT agility test in the academy and they do it several times.

There is P.T. in some form just about every day. A lot of tests, studying, and role playing exercises. Long and tedious and draining.

But well worth it on Graduation day when you enter the ranks of L.A.'s finest.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks!

Deputy Miley just said "by the time you hit academy you need to be running a 10 minute mile" so that left me to think there were not any pre academy tests.

Thanks for the answer good to know!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Know the Department's Core Values and Creed by heart before ever stepping on the grinder. They can be found on the LASD.org web site. The creed is by Deputy Dave March, EOW April 29, 2002. Murdered in the line of duty.

R.I.P. Dave

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 08-07-2012, 4:47 PM

There is a physical test called the VPAT that you take after your poly but before your medical and psych evals. For the vpat just get in good all around shape and you will be fine. 10min miles are pretty slow and will have you behind the curve when it comes to the academy. i wouldn't want to be any slower than 9 min miles going into the academy. Like said above the academy is extremely taxing both mentally and physically. You can never let your guard down. We just lost somebody on the last week of the academy, two days before graduation.
Old 08-07-2012, 8:19 PM

Hey BRL, if you have time, give him an idea of what kinds of workouts you guys were doing near the END of the academy.

Puher, you SHOULD be shooting to surpass those numbers/figures BEFORE you get IN. And, I'd recommend you be able to run much faster than a 10 min/mile. I was running about a 48 min 10k (which isn't fast at all!) before I got in and PT wasn't easy (you're often going to be doing other things mixed in with the running).

Also, did Dwight get demoted? Last time I checked/saw him, he was a Sergeant...
Old 08-09-2012, 6:12 AM

Thanks again, well it looks like I need to kick it into high gear mostly cardio. I need to drop a few and build my running. So I guess I should be working cardio 4 to 5 days a week till academy.
Old 08-10-2012, 1:36 AM

Well just turned in all my background packet stuff.

For my birth certificate, SS card, Drivers license, I only brought the origionals and I needed a photocopy & originals and my insurance for my vehicle I just had the proof of insurance and not the WHOLE detailed policy. The guy said just bring that stuff when you get a call from your BI investigator. Hopefully not having those things first time around in the packet doesnt screw me over -_-
Old 08-10-2012, 8:52 AM

How long did they tell you before you hear from the B.I.?
Old 08-10-2012, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K dog View Post
they didn't tell me how long
it's been a month and a half now since i turned in my packet and still haven't heard from the BI
Old 08-10-2012, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdeslitx View Post
they didn't tell me how long
it's been a month and a half now since i turned in my packet and still haven't heard from the BI
It took me little over 5 months to hear anything back from LASD. You probably have to wait few more months.
Old 08-10-2012, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
It took me little over 5 months to hear anything back from LASD. You probably have to wait few more months.
Old 08-10-2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K dog View Post
They said it can take up to 6 months.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 PM

I heard from LASD 8 weeks after turning in my packet. I turned my packet in on March 29th. My BI called me June 1st and met her several days later. Completed my poly June 25th. My references just mailed back their questionare letters. Now I'm just waiting for my next step from my BI.

That's my timeline for some comparison. I have no idea how I got called back so soon. Maybe because I'm only 21 with literally no background history?
Old 08-13-2012, 4:15 PM

I hope that is my case. 20 years old no background history. Im just hoping I get in. Im trying a few other things like Alaska National Guard, the Alaska State Troopers are not hiring right now.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puher View Post
Thanks!

Deputy Miley just said "by the time you hit academy you need to be running a 10 minute mile" so that left me to think there were not any pre academy tests.

Thanks for the answer good to know!
One thing to get down is learning what the stripes mean on the shoulders. Pretty sure SERGEANT Miley will not be to happy to hear you demoted him...

be ready to run a SUB 10 minute mile. you don't want to be at the back of the pack. start doing push ups and mountain climbers NOW.

they are going to push you HARD both physically and mentally. Its been a few years since I went through, but some of the trainees have told me it is getting more physical.

graduation day is a HUGE blast..there is so much pride in the room.

"Mama, Mama can't you see
what the Sheriff has done to me
18 weeks of going through hell
just to work the county jail"
Old 08-14-2012, 3:51 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
One thing to get down is learning what the stripes mean on the shoulders. Pretty sure SERGEANT Miley will not be to happy to hear you demoted him...

be ready to run a SUB 10 minute mile. you don't want to be at the back of the pack. start doing push ups and mountain climbers NOW.

they are going to push you HARD both physically and mentally. Its been a few years since I went through, but some of the trainees have told me it is getting more physical.

graduation day is a HUGE blast..there is so much pride in the room.

"Mama, Mama can't you see
what the Sheriff has done to me
18 weeks of going through hell
just to work the county jail"
I was wondering about the "deputy Miley" comment also, since I know he was promoted to sgt. It was Deputy Miley when the Fox TV show, "The Academy" was on. I had some business at Star a couple of times and met him both when he was a DI and as a Sgt.

Know the rank structure of course, but also know to address everyone as "sir" and ma'am and you should be fairly safe. Note that I said fairly safe; you will be a cadet after all.

Know also that if there is a female DI, you do not say "No sir or Yes Sir" to them. Use "ma'am" or you will be in trouble (not me, but a guy in my platoon would always get rattled and call her "sir"). The rest of us couldn't laugh (tho we wanted to) or we'd get into trouble also.
Old 08-14-2012, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
I was wondering about the "deputy Miley" comment also, since I know he was promoted to sgt. It was Deputy Miley when the Fox TV show, "The Academy" was on. I had some business at Star a couple of times and met him both when he was a DI and as a Sgt.

Know the rank structure of course, but also know to address everyone as "sir" and ma'am and you should be fairly safe. Note that I said fairly safe; you will be a cadet after all.

Know also that if there is a female DI, you do not say "No sir or Yes Sir" to them. Use "ma'am" or you will be in trouble (not me, but a guy in my platoon would always get rattled and call her "sir"). The rest of us couldn't laugh (tho we wanted to) or we'd get into trouble also.
its sgt...sgt Miley was the person who did my oral interview
Old 08-16-2012, 2:27 PM

Gosh you guys make this seem like its much harder then the Military, I hope it snot haha. I remember going into the military way out of shape but by the time the physical stuff came into play after marching so much I was already skinny and in shape.
Old 08-19-2012, 6:19 PM

Do not go into the academy out of shape. You will have a hard time keeping up with the PT and could get injured. Do your self a favor and start doing cross fit or p90x to get ready. You'll be glad you did

Not saying your put of shape, obviously I have no idea, just speaking from experience.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomson9 View Post
Do not go into the academy out of shape. You will have a hard time keeping up with the PT and could get injured. Do your self a favor and start doing cross fit or p90x to get ready. You'll be glad you did

Not saying your put of shape, obviously I have no idea, just speaking from experience.
That is correct. If you ever saw Fox's, "The Academy" it was about cadets in the LASD academy. Some of the people (both men and women) entered the academy with the mistaken belief they could have the academy get them in shape. Most of them washed out as they couldn't complete the PT tests with the required points.

You must be in good shape prior to entering. When you graduate, you will be in great shape. I was in really good shape prior to entering due somewhat to my preparation for the academy, but primarily because I had played racquetball 7 days a week for 4yrs. and handball prior to that for 9yrs. When I graduated, I was in the best shape of my life at 26.
Old 09-06-2012, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Know the Department's Core Values and Creed by heart before ever stepping on the grinder. They can be found on the LASD.org web site. The creed is by Deputy Dave March, EOW April 29, 2002. Murdered in the line of duty.

R.I.P. Dave
Core values. What a joke. Most people's own core values are at a higher standard than LASD's. Alas, for the academy Ron is probably correct. You better have them memorized. God forbid the dept focus more on career survival, retirement plan enhancements, shooting skills, defensive "FIGHTING" and overall officer safety!

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-07-2012, 7:08 AM

The slowest pace we ran in my academy was one mile in 8:30, believe me, you do not want to fall out on the first long run.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Core values. What a joke. Most people's own core values are at a higher standard than LASD's. Alas, for the academy Ron is probably correct. You better have them memorized. God forbid the dept focus more on career survival, retirement plan enhancements, shooting skills, defensive "FIGHTING" and overall officer safety!
TrailerparkTrash, I detect a slight note of cynicism.
Old 09-07-2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puher View Post
...I hope it snot haha...
On gas house day at the range and OC day at STARS, it WILL be "snot" - you can count on that!
Old 09-07-2012, 3:38 PM

hey Phantom, when you gonna come back and work out with us? Are you on my perishable skills email list?
Old 09-07-2012, 3:46 PM

Quote:
TrailerparkTrash, I detect a slight note of cynicism.
lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AFf0ysgNiM
Old 09-29-2012, 3:30 PM

Just giving a recent update. Still no call back so still hoping for that soon. Been currently working on my pushups and cardio more just mainly at work.

What I do at work:
-Minimum 6 miles of walking per shift.
-15 buildings with 6 flights of stairs going up each building.

There are elevators but I take all the stairso n each building at least 2wice per shift. My feet and legs are pretty tired at the end of each shift so I think its doing really well for me.

Right now pushup wise I am at 30 pushups military style my shoulders are flat with my arms so thats the proper way I guess.
Old 09-29-2012, 5:12 PM

I never got around to LASD tests but did LAPD (easy) and Santa Monica PD (not so much). The Santa Monica test is the good stuff. If you can do this you'll be in good shape:

http://santamonicapd.org/WorkArea/Do....aspx?id=13004

I think I hit 120+ situps, 70ish pushups. Running is my weak point but I think I ran 11 something in the 1.5 miles. In any case, I had plenty of points to pass.

Fastest 1.5 miles for me was like 10.30 and in the CAPS training I was advanced, squad leader, etc. These guys are getting you all worked up. You'll be fine.
Old 09-29-2012, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourLoko View Post
These guys are getting you all worked up. You'll be fine.
"these guys" include people who have graduated from LASD, have been working LASD, and are currently training LASD.

Have you been through the LASD academy? Or How long you been a cop? Or How long have you been training recruits and/or other cops? If your answer is NEVER or ZERO, then just maybe you should keep your advice to yourself.

We want people to want to train HARD - work out of their comfort zones, push themselves to places they thought they could never get to. We want people to want to EXCEL - not just be "good enough" and not just want to "make it" or "pass". We want people that will CONTINUE to strive to be better than they were yesterday, last week, last month, last year.

"You'll be fine" - yeah, right up until that point when Murphy comes and kicks your *** or rips you a new one for sitting on your butt when you could have been working and improving.

Btw, none of your numbers, stats, personal records means anything if you can't also Fight, among other things...

Last edited by Samuelx; 09-29-2012 at 10:46 PM..
Old 09-30-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
"these guys" include people who have graduated from LASD, have been working LASD, and are currently training LASD.

"You'll be fine" - yeah, right up until that point when Murphy comes and kicks your *** or rips you a new one for sitting on your butt when you could have been working and improving.

Btw, none of your numbers, stats, personal records means anything if you can't also Fight, among other things...
TRUE DAT....being able to run and do push ups is just the begining...once you get out of the 18 weeks of hell you better keep going...don't kick back and hang out in the ODR getting fat. You had better keep training and keep working and keep learning....MY FRIGGIN FAMILY DEPENDS ON IT!!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Administrator

As a retired (9 1/2yrs) LASD member (27 active), I would like to say great points Samuelx.

I knew of someone at a station I worked at who didn't keep up with his physical regimen and it almost cost the life of his partner one day. The partner was in a fight to retain control of his gun with a burglary suspect and the other deputy was unable to climb over the fence/wall to assist the deputy fighting with the suspect. Thankfully the deputy involved in the fight was able to overcome the suspect, retain his gun and cuff him.

Subsequent to this incident, the 2nd deputy was reassigned to the courts and I don't know if he began a PT program to not only regain his strength, but to lose weight. I hope he did.

OP, please follow the advice of the other posters, myself included (my earlier posts). You don't want to just get thru the academy, you want to instill a mindset that will carry you thru your career. You never know if you may have to fight for your life or come to the assistance of a brother or sister deputy/officer. You need to be both mentally and physically prepared to do so.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
As a retired (9 1/2yrs) LASD member (27 active), I would like to say great points Samuelx.

I knew of someone at a station I worked at who didn't keep up with his physical regimen and it almost cost the life of his partner one day. The partner was in a fight to retain control of his gun with a burglary suspect and the other deputy was unable to climb over the fence/wall to assist the deputy fighting with the suspect. Thankfully the deputy involved in the fight was able to overcome the suspect, retain his gun and cuff him.

Subsequent to this incident, the 2nd deputy was reassigned to the courts and I don't know if he began a PT program to not only regain his strength, but to lose weight. I hope he did.

OP, please follow the advice of the other posters, myself included (my earlier posts). You don't want to just get thru the academy, you want to instill a mindset that will carry you thru your career. You never know if you may have to fight for your life or come to the assistance of a brother or sister deputy/officer. You need to be both mentally and physically prepared to do so.
My biggest fear is just the physical part. Once I get into the right shape its easy to keep improving for me. But right now 1.5 miles would be a pretty hard challenge. I just need to keep hitting the gym I am pretty sure I still have plenty of time as the process seems to be going slow.
Old 10-02-2012, 4:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I agreed with Retired, who I worked with at several different stations, and SamuelX, who I don't think I've ever met. I know the person Retired was talking about. He let himself go so bad he became a danger out there.

Never settle for "good enough" during your career. It can be deadly.

Ron
LASD 1978-2011
Lieutenant, Retired

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 10-02-2012, 9:02 PM

Samuelx I am not on the
Email list would you mind pm'ing me and letting me know how to get on it? Thank you.
Old 12-03-2013, 2:18 AM

Just an update on my recent status.

It took a year and 2 months before I got a call from my B.I. I took my poly, and my background investigation is just about over. I just need to finish a jail tour, write a report, and I will be done with that.

I have been keeping a good workout routine and have gotten in better physical shape, but I still have a ways to go. Hopefully it will be enough to get me to survive in academy, and even after academy I will continue to keep improving and staying healthy.

I took a physical recently for CDCR, passed it. Was pretty tough after you had to do the running with the weights for those who are familiar with the test.

I did a ride-along in Lancaster, CA and oh boy was it crazy. On a Monday night, nothing but call after call after call. Crazy town.

I have a tour of the Twin Tower facility coming up this weekend.

In the meantime I am trying to improve my cardio, I think that is my weakest point so far. Running has never been my strong point.

Any further advice will be greatly appreciated. I am very excited that I have made it to this point and I need to do everything in my power to continue on and one day hopefully be able to pin that LASD badge on a uniform and protect and serve.
Old 12-03-2013, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep it up!

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 12-03-2013, 5:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep it up!
I have to ditto what Ron said. Good luck. Also, keep us informed as to when you are hired and when you graduate!