Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-24-2020, 9:42 AM

Hey everyone I just wanted to give an update on my first time application timeline. Hopefully this helps out other people.

6/2 applied on the portal
8/12 interview
8/16 livescan/training
9/22 approval (I had to email them for an update actually. They were very prompt and courteous.)
9/24 payment
Old 09-24-2020, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memeware View Post
Hey everyone I just wanted to give an update on my first time application timeline. Hopefully this helps out other people.

8/12 interview
8/16 livescan/training
9/22 approval (I had to email them for an update actually. They were very prompt and courteous.)
9/24 payment

Congrats!! Did they send you the approval immediately after the update email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2020, 2:22 PM

Yeah they did the next day (emailed on the 21st). They didn't reply to that and instead just sent the approval so maybe that bumped them lol
Old 09-24-2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah they did the next day (emailed on the 21st). They didn't reply to that and instead just sent the approval so maybe that bumped them lol

After Payment takes about 3 days. I paid on a Friday and card arrived the next Wednesday
Old 09-26-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:

8/12 interview
8/16 livescan/training
9/24 payment
About twice as long as it took two years ago. I'm sure they are busy like crazy. I am guessing they are applying greater due diligence to all applications, both renewal and initial.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:03 AM

Hi all,
Planning on applying soon. I have a question in regards to the "Good Cause" statement. I plan on using camping/hiking/four wheeling in remote areas as my good cause, as I was told this is an acceptable cause.

Curious to know if anyone else has used this? I am wondering how to word it, along with provided pictures of the activities.

TIA!
Old 09-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Arsen View Post
Hi all,
Planning on applying soon. I have a question in regards to the "Good Cause" statement. I plan on using camping/hiking/four wheeling in remote areas as my good cause, as I was told this is an acceptable cause.

Curious to know if anyone else has used this? I am wondering how to word it, along with provided pictures of the activities.

TIA!
Use that just elaborate locations and with who you may be with etc. Detail the remoteness and what you do there. Add pictures at end of statement.

Donít overthink it. Keep it simple and to the point.

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH Instructor
Old 10-01-2020, 11:04 AM

This was the most efficient and smooth process to date. Took less than 2 months to complete the renewal.

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it; and this I know, my lords, that where laws end, tyranny begins."

ďAnyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor securityĒ

ďExperience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyrannyĒ
Old 10-02-2020, 12:08 PM

Has anyone recently submitted an amendment for their license? I submitted mine 9/24 and permitium still says assigning to processer shortly. Any timeline I can expect?
Old 10-02-2020, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twystd1 View Post
OK.. What do I do to get a CCW in the OC?

Is it a waste of time at this moment? Or is it a good idea to pursue this route? I don't want to throw away my hard earned money and my precious time on something that is impossible at the moment.
What do you guys think? As I have no clue about the Orange County situation other than it is dam near impossible to get one from our Illustrious Sheriff whatshername.

What say you fellas?

Twystd1

Who told you itís impossible? You must have confused OC with LA. OC is easy.
Old 10-02-2020, 1:36 PM
I Am Jack's Cold Sweat
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuuuud View Post
Who told you itís impossible? You must have confused OC with LA. OC is easy.
Indeed! It just takes some effort and patience and voilŗ!
Old 10-02-2020, 1:38 PM

Did he delete his post?

Since it was meant for the LA thread?

Old 10-02-2020, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Did he delete his post?

Since it was meant for the LA thread?

ďerase, erase, eraseĒ
Old 10-04-2020, 3:47 PM

Does anyone know if that blue status bar in the permit portal actually changes as the application goes through the process? I submitted on 9/17, but I haven't heard or seen anything.
Old 10-04-2020, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist80 View Post
Does anyone know if that blue status bar in the permit portal actually changes as the application goes through the process? I submitted on 9/17, but I haven't heard or seen anything.
I've been through the process 4 times. It has never changed until final approval.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:

Only changes once everythingís approved. Otherwise stays unmoved.
Old 10-04-2020, 4:15 PM

Thanks for the responses, maggie and Scuuuud. I kind of figured as much.

Back to twiddling my thumbs.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:15 AM

State/County: CA / Orange

* Processing Time: Total Time 210 Days / Process 50 Days

* Gear/Planned Setup: Glock 19, Gen 3. Have an additional slide with Holosun

* Training Completed/Scheduled: March 2, 2020

*Thoughts:

Hello everyone, I finally made it out alive with my CCW.

For starters, I applied on February 23, 2020.

**Scheduled Interview for August 3**

2. I got all my documents uploaded minus the live scan and training. (Feb, 24)

3. I did my training on March 2, 2020.

4. I waited for my interview for August 3; I understand now I could have gotten it earlier if I checked back to the scheduling queue.

5. Prior to my interview, I went to UPS and did my live scan on August 1.

6. Had the Interview over Microsoft Teams, the Investigator was nice and cordial. (August 3)

**Note that as soon as you have the interview, the time frame for the six months expiration for your training goes away, no longer matters to them, you are good**

7. I was asked to show additional proof for my good cause after the interview, the equipment I travel with, etc. (August 3)

8. Moved apartments and updated my new address with them; no new forms had to be updated as long as you were in the same county, had to show proof my Driver license was updated, the investigator will see immediately and move your form to the last person in my case. (August 10)

**From the interview, it may take 90 days for the process to complete.**

9. I was approved September 25, 2020, through email, called immediately to pay over the phone (114$); since I paid immediately over the phone, they processed that day and got my license three days later in the mail.

Takeaways, for me, is to look for closer dates from your interview date. They open up regularly, and getting a closer appointment is easy to snag, will remember when I go through renewals.
Old 10-10-2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Takeaways, for me, is to look for closer dates from your interview date. They open up regularly, and getting a closer appointment is easy to snag, will remember when I go through renewals.
I've been checking the portal several times a day since I applied and I've been able to reschedule for 6 days sooner than my original appt. My original appt date was 3/24/2021, but a date opened up for 3/18/2021, so I snagged that.

Since then I haven't seen anything sooner than that open up and I check at least 3 times a day.

Anyone have better luck?
Old 10-10-2020, 1:51 PM

Quote:
I've been checking the portal several times a day since I applied and I've been able to reschedule for 6 days sooner than my original appt. My original appt date was 3/24/2021, but a date opened up for 3/18/2021, so I snagged that.

Since then I haven't seen anything sooner than that open up and I check at least 3 times a day.

Anyone have better luck?

Iíd say that checking never did much for me. Only thing that helped was their email that slots open. I donít think anyoneís giving up their slots haha. Itís a great time to study up and watch videos and train etc. the wait is painful I know...
Old 10-10-2020, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuuuud View Post
Iíd say that checking never did much for me. Only thing that helped was their email that slots open. I donít think anyoneís giving up their slots haha. Itís a great time to study up and watch videos and train etc. the wait is painful I know...
The wait sucks, but I'm just more concerned about my training certificate expiring before my interview. I completed my training on 9/13, but my appt is 3/18/21, which is 5 days past the 6 month window.
Old 10-10-2020, 2:42 PM

Hopefully OC is quicker than SD. From the time I called for an app't (pre-corona) until I picked up my permit was 11 months.
Old 10-13-2020, 1:52 PM

Here is my timeline:

6/2 - Application Submitted
6/6 - Online version of gun certification course completed
8/5 - Live fire portion of gun certification course completed
8/5 - Livescan
8/28 - Video Interview (Processer was very courteous and prompt. Interview consisted of just verifying information from application as well as what else they need from you. FYI - I had a misdemeanor charge that ultimately was dismissed so I was not required to put this in the application. They can see this during the interview and I disclosed it to them before she mentioned it as this adds to your "good moral character.")
8/28 - Original livescan was not submitted properly so met with the provider to resubmit new one
8/30 - Additional documents supporting GC requested uploaded
10/13 - Approval email and text (had to follow up with processor about status a few times, she eventually escalated to a supervisor where they immediately approved it)

Last edited by jtr1331; 10-13-2020 at 2:03 PM..
Old 10-15-2020, 7:45 AM

Can you guys list some of your good causes for obtaining your ccw?

I would like see if I can refine mine. But my main reason for wanting to obtain ccw is protection of my family as these are crazy times we live in.

Thank you.
Old 10-15-2020, 7:59 AM

Hi:
Anyone went through an add a gun amendment to CCW in Orange County? I submitted my paperwork more than 2 weeks ago to add my new Shield to my CCW but I heard nothing yet. The status says "assigning to processor shortly" and has been like that since I submitted the paperwork
Thanks

Last edited by tarifa; 10-15-2020 at 8:06 AM..
Old 10-15-2020, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_T View Post
Can you guys list some of your good causes for obtaining your ccw?

I would like see if I can refine mine. But my main reason for wanting to obtain ccw is protection of my family as these are crazy times we live in.

Thank you.

Not sure if thats smart or not but if you PM me Iíll help you out.
Old 10-15-2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarifa View Post
Hi:
Anyone went through an add a gun amendment to CCW in Orange County? I submitted my paperwork more than 2 weeks ago to add my new Shield to my CCW but I heard nothing yet. The status says "assigning to processor shortly" and has been like that since I submitted the paperwork
Thanks

I did the same thing 3 weeks ago and still havenít heard anything or gotten any update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2020, 1:19 AM

Anyone know if a CCW holder has to keep their weapon on their person while driving in the car, or if we can keep it loaded and in the armrest while we are in the car? From what I’ve read, we are not exempt from the law about loaded handguns in the car, unless it is specifically on our person. I just wanted to see if anyone out there had a definitive answer.
Old 10-18-2020, 2:49 AM

Any tips for when to check the website to see if there is an earlier available interview appointment? This is my third time trying to schedule an appointment - the first two times, I moved out of the county before my appointment date came up, but now I will be sticking around for sure. I should have requested an appointment this time around much sooner, and that's on me, but currently I am sitting at half way through next year.
Old 10-18-2020, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtr1331 View Post
Anyone know if a CCW holder has to keep their weapon on their person while driving in the car, or if we can keep it loaded and in the armrest while we are in the car?
Yes. It should be within immediate control and out of view. If you’re driving alone, I don’t see an issue with that.

Quote:
From what I’ve read, we are not exempt from the law about loaded handguns in the car, unless it is specifically on our person. I just wanted to see if anyone out there had a definitive answer.
Where’d you read that FUD? CCW exempts you from having to have it unloaded inside a car in locked container unless the firearm is listed on your permit. It can ride in the center console, seat next to you, etc loaded and doesn’t have to be on your person (although it’s not a bad idea in case of accidents etc).

Old 10-18-2020, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Anyone know if a CCW holder has to keep their weapon on their person while driving in the car, or if we can keep it loaded and in the armrest while we are in the car? From what Iíve read, we are not exempt from the law about loaded handguns in the car, unless it is specifically on our person. I just wanted to see if anyone out there had a definitive answer.
Keep in mind that it needs to be kept away from the control of passengers, unless they also have a CCW. So for instance, center console is OK if you are alone but if you have a non-CCW riding shotgun, that's not technically OK.
Old 10-18-2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Whereíd you read that FUD? CCW exempts you from having to have it unloaded inside a car in locked container unless the firearm is listed on your permit. It can ride in the center console, seat next to you, etc loaded and doesnít have to be on your person (although itís not a bad idea in case of accidents etc).
Lmao donít gotta call me a FUD dude. I read it on posts from 2018, guys were going back and forth about the legality of it. I wanted to ask anyone on here if they had any better/more recent knowledge of it or possibly knew where I could find the exception for us in writing before having to ask the CCW unit.
Old 10-18-2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Lmao donít gotta call me a FUD dude. I read it on posts from 2018, guys were going back and forth about the legality of it. I wanted to ask anyone on here if they had any better/more recent knowledge of it or possibly knew where I could find the exception for us in writing before having to ask the CCW unit.

Hahaha yea theyíre quick to blow the FUD whistle on Calguns.
Old 10-18-2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Not calling you a FUD. The laws are already as convoluted as they are here in CA. So itís best to keep things as simple as possible, when possible.

There is nothing stated by law for CCW holders and no conditions listed by the IA (as far as I know) so thereís nothing preventing you from carrying off your person (if alone). It may get gray if someone can obtain control (non-CCW passenger).

Good you checked in here rather than asking. Usually an IA may err on side of caution (like they initially did with freedom week) and say no (or create their own condition thereof).

Just use a bit of reasoning in the manner you carry and youíll be fine.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Not calling you a FUD. The laws are already as convoluted as they are here in CA. So itís best to keep things as simple as possible, when possible.

There is nothing stated by law for CCW holders and no conditions listed by the IA (as far as I know) so thereís nothing preventing you from carrying off your person (if alone). It may get gray if someone can obtain control (non-CCW passenger).

Good you checked in here rather than asking. Usually an IA may err on side of caution (like they initially did with freedom week) and say no (or create their own condition thereof).

Just use a bit of reasoning in the manner you carry and youíll be fine.
I appreciate it, thank you.
Old 10-19-2020, 5:06 AM

The instructor I had mentioned it has to be in your possession when carrying and not in the bag. A few people asked why and he just said the permit specifically said conceal “carry” permit.... and he said that’s the only legal way? Hmmmmmm
Old 10-20-2020, 2:32 PM

I also want to use camping/hiking/offroading for my GC. don't really take pictures but can get them from friends i've gone with. How far back or how much add'l documentation do they need with GC? I figure the more the better, but what's the baseline?
Old 10-20-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSTcHiLLn View Post
I also want to use camping/hiking/offroading for my GC. don't really take pictures but can get them from friends i've gone with. How far back or how much add'l documentation do they need with GC? I figure the more the better, but what's the baseline?
I used the same GC. They asked me for a log that went back approximately a year, with locations and dates along with pictures that I took or I was in during some (not all) of those dates.