Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:27 AM

Default 2 Questions regarding multiple PPT's at one time...

Ok. A friend of mine has decided to help me out and purchase multiple hand guns from me. Really here nor there but everybody loves a back-story :-).

Question #1

We went to the FFL today and we were told that because it was more than one they (the ffl) were required to notify ATF that he was buying multiple handguns. Then proceeded to say nonchalantly that it's no big deal and they will just show up and want to see your collection and confirm you are not straw-purchasing.

Can anyone elaborate on this? Does anyone know whom these visits has actually happened to? etc.

Question number 2

He had to buy locks for every single gun even though he has a safe. When he asked they told him that a long gun was the only weapon that applied to the safe affidavit? Again can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks for any info.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:36 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes, multiple handgun transactions within 5? days from the same dealer mustbe reported to ATF (and local police, IIRC). Usually not a problem. Haven't heard of personal inspections. IIRC, bwiese had ATF call his dealer about a multiple handgun report. Dealer said, guy is a collector and bought a couple for his collection, he's cool. Thats all ATF wanted.

Regarding gun locks, yes, The CA safe affidavit does not work for handgun purchases anymre because Federal law requires a locking device be provided with all handgun purchases. Safe affidavit is still good for long gun purchases because the federal law does not apply to long guns, just handguns.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
Yes, multiple handgun transactions within 5? days from the same dealer mustbe reported to ATF (and local police, IIRC). Usually not a problem. Haven't heard of personal inspections. IIRC, bwiese had ATF call his dealer about a multiple handgun report. Dealer said, guy is a collector and bought a couple for his collection, he's cool. Thats all ATF wanted.

Regarding gun locks, yes, The CA safe affidavit does not work for handgun purchases anymre because Federal law requires a locking device be provided with all handgun purchases. Safe affidavit is still good for long gun purchases because the federal law does not apply to long guns, just handguns.
+1! And there is the answer. Well said.
Old 06-22-2009, 9:08 PM

So I went on Tuesday to do a PPT and then on Thursday to buy a new pistol from the same dealer that did the PPT. Does that the MAN was notified? I worked with two different CSR's.

I will pick them both up on the 30th though.
Old 06-22-2009, 9:44 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelS View Post
So I went on Tuesday to do a PPT and then on Thursday to buy a new pistol from the same dealer that did the PPT. Does that the MAN was notified? I worked with two different CSR's.
most likely.

From the ATF FAQ.
(
Quote:
F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one handgun to an individual? [Back]

If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any non-licensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting the sale or disposition of the second handgun.

A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the license, regardless of whether State offices are open. The application of the term “business day” is, therefore, distinguishable from the term “business day” as used in the NICS context. Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays, days on which State offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday or Sunday, or the Saturday after the reporting requirement would be triggered, the subsequent acquisition of a handgun would have to be reported on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent handgun was sold.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(3), 27 CFR 478.126a]
http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f33104.pdf

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.