Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:52 PM

Default Chronograph

I would appreciate any advise on newer Chronographs.

Ease of set up, utilization, data storage ECT. - And why you recommend it.

Thanks in advance.

I plan on making a purchase soon.
Old 11-08-2019, 1:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderfart View Post
I would appreciate any advise on newer Chronographs.

Ease of set up, utilization, data storage ECT. - And why you recommend it.

Thanks in advance.

I plan on making a purchase soon.
if a handgun is not part of the equation get a Magnetospeed.
it's cheeper than a Lab Radar
reads up to 5000 fps unlike the Lab radar that tops out at 3500 fps
it's doesn't require shutting down the range to set up (like a sky screen chrono)
it will out put data to a file that XL can read so your Mac or your PC running windows can read it and save it. I just copy and paste my data to a form I came up with and keep all my data in files with reload data on the same sheet.
It does change your point of impact slightly but does not effect group size unless you shoot bench rest. (yes I know guys I use to claim it didn't but have since seen the results and it in fact does change the point of impact by about 1 moa on my rifle.)

If a hand a hand gun is involved get the Caldwell unit with the IR lights and call it good. it works but it's still hit or miss with being able to get all shots to read. The only time my Magnetospeed failed to read was when I failed to plug it in. it's never missed a shot.

Lab radar says they are easy to set up but I've seen them on the range and when they work they work flawlessly but when there is an issue well it's a mess. and I don't know if it was an issue with the unit or the operator so I can't say. But I can say this Magnetospeed out numbers Lab radar about six to one on our range at every match. I have no complaints and would buy it again if needed.
Old 11-08-2019, 2:52 PM

LabRadar
Old 11-08-2019, 5:47 PM

Depends on what you need to meter. I've used a lot of different chronos and have gone through around 5 until I ended up with the one that suits my needs.

Had two different gen magnetospeeds. They're pretty convenient but as stated before, no good for pistols that do not have light rail. The profile of the rifle handguard or barrel can produce limitations and it affects accuracy. I didn't like how it's tethered to the gun either.

Had and used a bunch of light sensor units. Chrony, pro chrono, CED M2 and I didn't like that indoor lighting kit is needed, don't like wires from sensors to the brain, don't like that need battery pack or extension cord. Some ranges don't have access to plugs and it's a safety hazard to have the cord run across the range.

Had a Labradar. It's convenient, but not infallible. Has much more limitations than I wanted to deal with. Can't have shooters too close, like an indoor range. It was hit and miss with brakes and comps. I spent more time playing with the settings which was an issue when I had multiple different guns of varying power. Have to play with trigger settings. But the bigger issues was the velocity cap, can't track shot - only slugs, can't do archery without buying a mic which then have bow tethered to the chrono. Also the phone app for it is beyond terrible.

So at a time I had to use three different chronos to do rifle, pistol, archery and shotshell. That sucked. I got rid of them all and spend $180 on a Caldwell G2. The phone/tablet app is awesome. It has an internal battery, it's inverted and uses it's own lightsource so no extra lighting kit to buy. Works with arrows, bb's, rocks, shot, whatever you want. The velocity goes to 9999. It has been hands down the best chrono I've used yet. I wish it came out a long time ago.

I suggest you think about what you need to meter, where you're going to use it, power availability and how convenient you want it. Let us know what you get!
Old 11-08-2019, 6:23 PM

LabRadar here. No complaints.
Old 11-09-2019, 5:17 AM

Thank you for all the responses - I still have more research and plan to purchase for hopefully Black Friday sale. I will be utilizing hand gun and Rifles - Rifles up to I hope 4200 - 4300FPS. I was hoping to be able to purchase just one but most of what I have read has been confirmed by all who responded.
Thanks again and if anyone has any aditional advise Please post.
Old 11-09-2019, 5:54 AM

You really need to list YOUR requirements before taking on recommendations.
Budget
Require or don't care about remote operation
Lighting conditions (indoor or out and where the sun is when you shoot)
Reading at one distance OK or want down range speeds
Number of strings needed or will you simply upload individual written readings to a computer

You can pay anywhere from $90 to $600 and the $600 chronongraph may not be the right one for you even with an unlimited budget
Old 11-09-2019, 6:56 AM

I have or have had about every popular chrono made I think. The Magnetospeed Sporter gets used the most. Love how small it is, fast to setup, easy to switch between rifles, and calculates ES and SD right on the display.

Next is the Caldwell G2. The upside-down design was a great idea. Still much tougher to setup, but wins for versatility.

Labradar is great if youíre by yourself. At a busy public range, forget it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 7:08 AM
Veteran Member

I'm a happy camper with my LabRadar
Old 11-09-2019, 7:43 AM

I think it depends a lot on your budget.

I have aIf money is no object, go with the Labradar or the Magnetospeed, but just keep in mind that all of them have their quirks and limitations.
Old 11-09-2019, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
I have or have had about every popular chrono made I think. The Magnetospeed Sporter gets used the most. Love how small it is, fast to setup, easy to switch between rifles, and calculates ES and SD right on the display.

Next is the Caldwell G2. The upside-down design was a great idea. Still much tougher to setup, but wins for versatility.

Labradar is great if you’re by yourself. At a busy public range, forget it.
I'd been using the Caldwell inverted type also for a couple of years. I'll say that the tripod it comes with is garbage. Flexy plastic 3-way camera head? Useless. I gave it away to Good Will and bought a decent SLIK tripod that collapses short enough to fit in the Caldwell case. I recommend that to anyone. I screw the chrony directly onto this tripod. No head needed. I love the BlueTooth ability.

But you know, I've gotten some really weird readings with my Caldwell. Made me not trust it. One day out in the bright sunny desert it was reading only 1800 FPS average from a 16" AR of mine, with ammo that was measuring at about 2800 or so in an 18"-barreled AR only a few minutes earlier. WTH? Not just one shot---two strings of five shots.

And on another day, same location and conditions, I was using it to measure speed on some 45auto hand-loads out of my 1911. Two strings of five shots each, first round it said the average was 1984 FPS! Second was 1846 FPS! I don't know if the chrono was multiplying by 2?

So I recently bought a MagnetoSpeed Sporter. Only used it once with one string of five shots. It worked though and the velocities seemed to be accurate. What I'd expect. Very compact piece of kit too. The only downside is no BlueTooth; the Caldwell has spoiled me on that point. And it does not save data. So you need to have a pad and pen handy to record the FPS, SD, ES.

Last edited by Ki6vsm; 11-09-2019 at 9:50 AM..
Old 11-09-2019, 9:39 AM

I use a ProChrono Digital Chronograph.
No complaints and a good price.

Here's a link to one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Competition-E.../dp/B0028MTBJ4
Old 11-09-2019, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

Labradar and they are on sale now.

XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 11-09-2019, 10:09 AM

Labradar is the best choice.
Old 11-09-2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
I'd been using the Caldwell inverted type also for a couple of years. I'll say that the tripod it comes with is garbage. Flexy plastic 3-way camera head? Useless. I gave it away to Good Will and bought a decent SLIK tripod that collapses short enough to fit in the Caldwell case. I recommend that to anyone. I screw the chrony directly onto this tripod. No head needed. I love the BlueTooth ability.

But you know, I've gotten some really weird readings with my Caldwell. Made me not trust it. One day out in the bright sunny desert it was reading only 1800 FPS average from a 16" AR of mine, with ammo that was measuring at about 2800 or so in an 18"-barreled AR only a few minutes earlier. WTH? Not just one shot---two strings of five shots.

And on another day, same location and conditions, I was using it to measure speed on some 45auto hand-loads out of my 1911. Two strings of five shots each, first round it said the average was 1984 FPS! Second was 1846 FPS! I don't know if the chrono was multiplying by 2?

So I recently bought a MagnetoSpeed Sporter. Only used it once with one string of five shots. It worked though and the velocities seemed to be accurate. What I'd expect. Very compact piece of kit too. The only downside is no BlueTooth; the Caldwell has spoiled me on that point. And it does not save data. So you need to have a pad and pen handy to record the FPS, SD, ES.

I have experienced some anomalies like you deacribed and everytime its been from muzzle flash. I just give it a little more distance and it gets consistent again. With magnum loads like huge 50AE I have to give it more distance, say 15'. But 10' works well for every thing else.

The tripid does suck, but I haven't its necessary to replace. I use a broom to push the tripod around in the range heehe Its flexiness helps me move it around without tipping over. It does its job but yes its a huge turd haaha

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:

I was getting wonky readings on my Caldwell when I got it. Did a firmware update and it fixed everything. You might check to see if youíre on the latest firmware.

On the tripod, I never even tried to use it. Had a Bogen already from 3 previous chronos and just used that. Lifeís too short to deal with crap tripods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
I have experienced some anomalies like you deacribed and everytime its been from muzzle flash. I just give it a little more distance and it gets consistent again. With magnum loads like huge 50AE I have to give it more distance, say 15'. But 10' works well for every thing else.
Could be in some cases. But broad daylight in the desert? And this was with the one rifle that actually did have a flash suppressor. And I don't think flash would be any kind of issue with a handgun in the same environment. I'll admit I was using the chrony inside of 10 feet from the muzzle. But still.

Another odd thing happened with it last year. When I was using my Grendel upper for the first time, firing factory Hornady Black ammo, and the chrony was telling me that my SD was 57, and the spread was 138. High of 2572. How could factory match ammo be that all-over-the-place, even in a brand new barrel?

Back to the tripod. This is what's so nice about a decent one. You can't go this low with the included model. And it'll as high as you need. Collapses small enough to fit in the Caldwell case. Here I had it set pretty close on this first outing with it, I'll admit. (Or I was still setting up?) But it worked fine that day. And this rifle has a bare muzzle:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0413small.jpg (104.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 11-09-2019, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'll admit I was using the chrony inside of 10 feet from the muzzle. But still.
The reason why you need to keep the chronograph at least 10 feet from the muzzle is to mitigate anomalies with the readings due to the muzzle blast and flash. As far as broad daylight, bright direct sunlight is actually detrimental to optical chronographs. Diffused light over the sensors is better.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 11-09-2019, 5:23 PM

Daylight with the g2 doesn't matter. The sensor is underneath the upper deck pointing down. All light sensor chronos need distance and 10-15' is the standard. As stated before me its not just muzzle flash but blast as well. Plus if you input the distance of the chrono placement into the software it provides a calculated actual muzzle velocity. However within 15' is generally accepted muzzle velocity as the difference is going to be <5fps.

Old 11-09-2019, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

I have Labradar and an Oehler 35P. I bought the Labradar because the 35P was a pain to set up, and it didn't work good in the forest. The light wasn't constant with the sun shining through the tree branches. The Lab Radar doesn't work with shotguns.

If you want a low cost easy to set up Chrono, try the Competition Electronics Chrono. You can probably get one on sale on Black Friday for $100.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 11-09-2019, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I like the magnetospeed best. Reliable, accurate, and fast to set up. Add the xfer cable and iphone app and its fast to transfer data to my laptop.
Old 11-09-2019, 7:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Could be in some cases. But broad daylight in the desert? And this was with the one rifle that actually did have a flash suppressor. And I don't think flash would be any kind of issue with a handgun in the same environment. I'll admit I was using the chrony inside of 10 feet from the muzzle. But still.

Another odd thing happened with it last year. When I was using my Grendel upper for the first time, firing factory Hornady Black ammo, and the chrony was telling me that my SD was 57, and the spread was 138. High of 2572. How could factory match ammo be that all-over-the-place, even in a brand new barrel?

Back to the tripod. This is what's so nice about a decent one. You can't go this low with the included model. And it'll as high as you need. Collapses small enough to fit in the Caldwell case. Here I had it set pretty close on this first outing with it, I'll admit. (Or I was still setting up?) But it worked fine that day. And this rifle has a bare muzzle:

Thatís way to close.
You need 12 feet minimum in front of the gun to eliminate bad readings via the mussel brake.
Old 11-09-2019, 8:51 PM

Thanks guys. All that's pretty encouraging, because I don't want to just toss it away. But I'd think the flashing/smoke blast would cause bad/no reads. Not a string of accurate velocities, then a couple of strings in a row of consistent but low-read (or too-high) velocities, followed later on by expected velocities again... under the same conditions give or take. From being "too close" I'd expect some randomness in the errors, not five reads out of five shots with tight SDs of just 6 - 20. So I don't understand the science of these errors, but oh well.

I did some reading and found this thread on ar15 dot com. Guy was having the same problem with some of his strings. 9mm pistol shooting at "2100 fps". All his other weapons/shots were normal. Said his chrony was 12 feet away. Got the same advice you guys are giving. Move it even farther away, watch out for bright sunlight, etc.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/W...gs_/42-471441/

Next time I take it out there to the dez I'll set it up farther though and see how it behaves over a day of shooting. And I'll check it against the MagnetoSpeed since that's a super easy setup. Maybe at under 10' the chrony reads the shock wave or bow wave of the bullet loads + barrel combos and throws things off in a deceivingly consistent manner.
Old 11-09-2019, 9:04 PM

OP, I hope you don't mind and think i'm hijacking your thread. I figure this info might actually be helping with your decision.

FWIW, here is what the guy determined, see linked thread above. It was not the distance but the sunlight angle. He doesn't say what model of Caldwell he has. I assume the type with upward facing sensors since they're more common. But I will assume for now that it can affect the downward facing sensor type as well. I thought downward would make it less sensitive to sun, but perhaps not. Maybe I should run the lights on sunny days? Runs the battery down faster obviously, but at least it's rechargeable easy enough even out in the field.

---------------------
Was not a distance issue at all.
Angle of the sun was the cause.

Sun today was near identical to yesterday.
For the heck of it I set up the chrono in the exact same place and distance. Again Tula 115 spouts crazy 2100 FPS. Moved back to 21 feet 2593 FPS. So now I was worried...
Moved the chrono angle to the sun about 45 deg different. Bang Tula 1273 FPS as it should be.
All he other loads I shot today read correctly as well.

Still unsure of why the 300BLK loads would register correctly today and yesterday, where the 9mm wouldn't
The only speculative answer I can come up with is the shiny 9mm bullets and the 300BLK was powder coated black lead.

But either way the issue is fixed. Thank you everyone for your input.

Last edited by Ki6vsm; 11-10-2019 at 6:22 AM..
Old 11-10-2019, 7:29 AM

Check this briefly this morning but don't have a bunch of time today - this thread is Frigin Great -
Tons of info - Thank you
Keep it coming but I'm out of time today
Old 11-10-2019, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderfart View Post
Check this briefly this morning but don't have a bunch of time today - this thread is Frigin Great -
Tons of info - Thank you
Keep it coming but I'm out of time today
Best affordable Chrono hands down is the Labradar. I do extensive load development for myself and many others. I have a magneto speed as a random back up for out of state testing with suppressors, but the POI shift drives me nuts.

So go with the Labradar, they have a sale going on now. It is easy to use and has the best results. I use it for archery, a lot too. Don't get their tripod, buy one off Amazon, it works much better

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 11-10-2019, 1:27 PM

What do you think this guy's problem was with his Labradar? I'll admit, his title is a bit harsh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IySaDqv7OfU

Last edited by Ki6vsm; 11-10-2019 at 1:32 PM..
Old 11-10-2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
The reason why you need to keep the chronograph at least 10 feet from the muzzle is to mitigate anomalies with the readings due to the muzzle blast and flash. As far as broad daylight, bright direct sunlight is actually detrimental to optical chronographs. Diffused light over the sensors is better.
Meant to ask about this. Being as the sensors are in the top and point downward, how would you recommend diffusing the light below (in this case) the sensors? Maybe lay a piece of gray cardboard across the bottom of the triangle? Or rig some shade above the whole device?
Old 11-10-2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
What do you think this guy's problem was with his Labradar? I'll admit, his title is a bit harsh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IySaDqv7OfU

That's a terrible video. Not enough information provided to get an idea of what's happening. When the video popped up it indicated that I had watched and disliked that video already haaha. I got mine in early 2016 around the same time when the video posted so I must have stumbled on it when I was gathering information.

Old 11-10-2019, 3:19 PM

I used to have and used Ohler 35P. It was best one at the time. But, it was in 1990s.
Old 11-10-2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
That's a terrible video. Not enough information provided to get an idea of what's happening.
Yeah I agree. He doesn't show near enough info for us to get an idea of where it fell short. I was just wondering if anyone might offer a guess as to what might not be going well in that situation.

I think the truth is that there's no perfect chronograph. The optic-interrupt types are a bit sensitive to distance from shooter and also lighting environment, giving a person a head scratching situation.

The MagnetoSpeeds don't work for handguns (probably some rifles as well) and require you to strap a weight onto the end of the barrel, which will likely change accuracy and grouping to some degree.

And the Labradar is by far the most expensive, but may be the best of all worlds---unless you're not alone on the firing line.

I'll add a comment on the MagnetoSpeed Sporter, which I bought recently. It does do the job of reading V, SD, and spread, but the build quality is pretty laughable. It looks and feels like a kid's toy. It's amazing that it costs as much as it does. When the the box is snapped shut, you can still look through the seam and see the battery. You can imagine how water resistant it is.
Old 11-10-2019, 5:09 PM

For people who used LabRadar, is it sensitive to muzzle blast, offset distance or wind? Once a while, I get a reading that is far off, and hard to tell if it is setup or reload issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 7:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yeah I agree. He doesn't show near enough info for us to get an idea of where it fell short. I was just wondering if anyone might offer a guess as to what might not be going well in that situation.

I think the truth is that there's no perfect chronograph. The optic-interrupt types are a bit sensitive to distance from shooter and also lighting environment, giving a person a head scratching situation.

The MagnetoSpeeds don't work for handguns (probably some rifles as well) and require you to strap a weight onto the end of the barrel, which will likely change accuracy and grouping to some degree.

And the Labradar is by far the most expensive, but may be the best of all worlds---unless you're not alone on the firing line.

I'll add a comment on the MagnetoSpeed Sporter, which I bought recently. It does do the job of reading V, SD, and spread, but the build quality is pretty laughable. It looks and feels like a kid's toy. It's amazing that it costs as much as it does. When the the box is snapped shut, you can still look through the seam and see the battery. You can imagine how water resistant it is.
Thereís no claim that the Magnetospeed is water resistant. If you are trying to get data in a down poor and you gear shorts out well maybe be you should not be testing in field conditions.
Yeah itís built light weight but itís yet to have an issue and Iíve fired everything over it from .22 air rifles to the 408 Cheytac and the 458 Lott. Mine has yet to fail me and unless youíre some ham handed kid that broke his toys you wonít have an issue.
Other chronos are just as light duty too. The ohler, the pro chrono, the shooting chrono, the Pact Chrono, the CED chrono, they are all made to be handled gently with a reasonable amount of care. The lab radar being fully solid state is even move sensitive.
As for accuracy. No it doesnít effect accuracy but it does effect precision.
Old 11-11-2019, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Thereís no claim that the Magnetospeed is water resistant. If you are trying to get data in a down poor and you gear shorts out well maybe be you should not be testing in field conditions.
Yeah itís built light weight but itís yet to have an issue and Iíve fired everything over it from .22 air rifles to the 408 Cheytac and the 458 Lott. Mine has yet to fail me and unless youíre some ham handed kid that broke his toys you wonít have an issue.

As for accuracy. No it doesnít effect accuracy but it does effect precision.
Well, nobody claimed there was a claim that it's actually water resistant. That was just a parting shot at the cheap feel of the one-piece molded clamshell construction. Not any kind of overlapping seal there. Reminded me of a cheap case that something better might arrive in---earbuds for instance. Honestly I need to pull it out of its box to verify some of this. Going on memory right now. Obviously it still gets the job done.

Come to think of it, that design probably also makes it not particularly dirt resistant. I shoot in the desert and shoot prone mostly, so I'm more concerned with that. That may or may not turn out to be a problem.

So, it doesn't affect accuracy, just precision? Meaning the POI won't change but the groups (precision) will be bigger/smaller? That doesn't sound super great. I'm surprised. I would expect the zero to shift more than the groups size, but I've not tested it and you have.
Old 11-11-2019, 8:39 AM

These are my concerns and why I asked for advise.

Most of the utilization will be done at an outdoor range. This is why I originally considered the Magneto But no hand gun utilization
The Labrador looks great but not feasible at a high traffic public range.
I thought very seriously about the Cadwell but a lot of reviews about sun light and distance for muzzle blast and not public Range feasible.
This is why I thought I would have to purchase 2 but wanted and still want advise.

22-250 Ackley improved up to around 4300FPS + will be a real barrel burner. I'm hoping to have assembled late next year depended upon funds and definite verification of a private location to utilize it on pest control. (A friend negotiating a purchase of some farmland & grazing land but it has stalled.
Various other tools up to a custom 375 H&H utilized a Winchester 70 as Base -
Basic Hand gun data too.

I have a bit more research to do and I've been looking at few you-tubes and reading but it is exceedingly time consuming to digging though be BS on my current schedual.

Again - Thank you to everyone for their input. Keep it coming if possible - Gota get back to work.
Old 11-11-2019, 9:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well, nobody claimed there was a claim that it's actually water resistant. That was just a parting shot at the cheap feel of the one-piece molded clamshell construction. Not any kind of overlapping seal there. Reminded me of a cheap case that something better might arrive in---earbuds for instance. Honestly I need to pull it out of its box to verify some of this. Going on memory right now. Obviously it still gets the job done.

Come to think of it, that design probably also makes it not particularly dirt resistant. I shoot in the desert and shoot prone mostly, so I'm more concerned with that. That may or may not turn out to be a problem.

So, it doesn't affect accuracy, just precision? Meaning the POI won't change but the groups (precision) will be bigger/smaller? That doesn't sound super great. I'm surprised. I would expect the zero to shift more than the groups size, but I've not tested it and you have.
It doesn't effect group size. but it does effect poi I guess I inverted the two.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:58 AM

The Labrador works fine at a “high traffic public range.”

It will only trigger with your shots and does not get confused by neighboring shooters.

The Labrador is the best choice.
Old 11-11-2019, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

IMO the best two choices for non-balisticians is lab radar and magnetospeed. They are PLENTY accurate enough for load development for ELR games. Again, IMO.

I like the lab radar in concept. Mostly because there are no POI impacts compared to magnetospeed, which hangs off the barrel. This impacts me from 1-4" at 100 yards, which means after load development I have to re-sight my rifle. That is inconvenient.

However, when I look at other people's lab radar data I always see holes in the data. onsey-twosey shots always seem to get lost. For whatever reason. Maybe it's not aimed well, maybe the batteries were dying, I don't know.

But when I do load development, every datapoint is precious because I minimize number of shots fired. So I cannot easily tolerate lost data.

Thus, I use magnetospeed and like it very much for the purpose. I believe for LOAD DEVELOPMENT, it is the better tool.

-------------

If I were a match shooter, I would much prefer the lab radar on match days for that-day sight in, so I could sight in and get my average speed at the same time. Assuming that data would be useful the day-of. But that's the only benefit of lab radar to me: not affecting POI.

For the record, it doesn't worry me if magneto affects POI or group size. I have shot it enough to know that if it does, I can still conclude what shoots best. Whatever is the best shooting group WITH magneto is still the best shooting without it. If anything, I can expect a performance improvement after magneto comes off.

---------------

Now, I know there are pic rail adapters for magneto so I can mount it to my stock, but I have no experience with that. That hardware is like $150 or so which I don't have for such a toy at the moment. But I'd worry about data stability for such a huge cantilever. The magneto benefit is high stability in data repeatability.
Old 11-11-2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
It doesn't effect group size. but it does effect poi I guess I inverted the two.
Ah okay. That's less bad then, in my book anyway. Gives you the option of zeroing a scope after finding the most "precise" load plus its velocity. That could be done with just a couple of shots once the 'bayonet' is removed from the equation.
Old 11-12-2019, 6:29 AM

Regarding the LabRadar, I was reading some glowing reviews of them on MidwayUSA. Most people love them for sure. And they're 'only' $500 at the moment from several vendors.

Sounds like the problem that most people run into is learning to aim it correctly? Did you LabRadar owners find it to be tricky? I imagine it depends a lot on how far away you set your target. I guess the mfr provides a crude aiming device, but there's a small aftermarket niche industry devoted to making improved aiming devices for them. Everything from extended aiming tubes to little Pic rails for mounting a low-power optic. And I I think I read about some people rigging their own improved sights with just a piece of a drinking straw.

I'd look for a company out of state that still sells to CA without collecting the sales tax. They still exist.