Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 11-09-2019, 5:41 AM

I'd love to join such a group - but never on FB.
Old 11-09-2019, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I'd love to join such a group - but never on FB.
Understand about FB. Not a fan myself, but that seems to get the greatest response from folks.

I limit the information about myself I put there.
Old 11-09-2019, 7:53 AM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Right, a lot of CA natives are moving out (I'm in the long drawn out process). And a lot of 2A supporters here are disheartened, will there be the amount of new users needed to support and/or grow the forum? So where do current trends lead the CalGuns forum?

Well, the forum needs advertisers and contributors to keep going. But gun stores and manufacturers are being squeezed too.

If CG does not provide content and discussion that users want/need, the advertisers have less incentive and money to advertise, the forum weakens.

So, its obvious that CG needs to find a way to continue to draw new people.

I'm not going to have an answer for that, because my answers are not popular and frankly that's part of the problem with this forum. This forum is shaped by the leadership and the forum members. I'm not a fan of the arrogant leadership/ownership and I tend to be critical of the community.

So my answer would be change the leadership. Then perhaps, the forum will change.

As for content, I like the thumbs up/down of Bladeforums, and I'd like to see more emphasis on outdoors/camping and equipment.

I would like to see more activism, but as I've said before, CG sucks at this (see my comments a few posts up).

That's all I can say. I no longer spend much time here, because I find it boring.
Old 11-09-2019, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDG View Post
I limit the information about myself I put there.
As you should. With Yahoo! groups closing down, one group I'm on was mulling over various options. As soon as I said "ANYTHING but FB!", people came out of the woodwork saying much the same thing. I think people are finally starting to WAKE UP to the toxicity of such sites, TWITter et al. The group moved to something called "groups.io", which seems to work well enough. For myself, I've never been a member or "on" FB, and I never will be. Waiting for it to die, its lasted a lot longer than previous "fad sites" like MySpace, Tribe, Geocities, etc. "This too shall pass".

Last edited by Zorba; 11-09-2019 at 9:23 AM..
Old 11-09-2019, 9:44 AM

Default Question Mr. K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Right, a lot of CA natives are moving out (I'm in the long drawn out process). And a lot of 2A supporters here are disheartened, will there be the amount of new users needed to support and/or grow the forum? So where do current trends lead the CalGuns forum?

Well, the forum needs advertisers and contributors to keep going. But gun stores and manufacturers are being squeezed too.

If CG does not provide content and discussion that users want/need, the advertisers have less incentive and money to advertise, the forum weakens.

So, its obvious that CG needs to find a way to continue to draw new people.

I'm not going to have an answer for that, because my answers are not popular and frankly that's part of the problem with this forum. This forum is shaped by the leadership and the forum members. I'm not a fan of the arrogant leadership/ownership and I tend to be critical of the community.

So my answer would be change the leadership. Then perhaps, the forum will change.

As for content, I like the thumbs up/down of Bladeforums, and I'd like to see more emphasis on outdoors/camping and equipment.

I would like to see more activism, but as I've said before, CG sucks at this (see my comments a few posts up).

That's all I can say. I no longer spend much time here, because I find it boring.

I have some friends that would be classed as vendors. Is there a cost? What is the process. Please PM me.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
As you should. With Yahoo! groups closing down, one group I'm on was mulling over various options. As soon as I said "ANYTHING but FB!", people came out of the woodwork saying much the same thing. I think people are finally starting to WAKE UP to the toxicity of such sites, TWITter et al. The group moved to something called "groups.io", which seems to work well enough. For myself, I've never been a member or "on" FB, and I never will be. Waiting for it to die, its lasted a lot longer than previous "fad sites" like MySpace, Tribe, Geocities, etc. "This too shall pass".
Many Yahoo groups are moving or have moved to groups.io. It's a good platform. I run a couple of groups there, one that deals with ham radio, and the other is also a ham related group that focuses on being a law abiding citizen, including gun discussions. Neither of those groups is active because of the decline in ham radio, and I think also it does not have the magazine interface like FB, which people seem to like.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Many Yahoo groups are moving or have moved to groups.io. It's a good platform. I run a couple of groups there, one that deals with ham radio, and the other is also a ham related group that focuses on being a law abiding citizen, including gun discussions. Neither of those groups is active because of the decline in ham radio, and I think also it does not have the magazine interface like FB, which people seem to like.

KDG please explain how to connect with your io group. Make it simple please -- I'm not a young person.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Yea, it seems to work fine. I use it in email mode - IOW, its a glorified listserv to me.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
KDG please explain how to connect with your io group. Make it simple please -- I'm not a young person.
The one group more applicable here is
https://lawabidingcitizen.groups.io/g/main
But it is not active and you have to join to see content using the Blue button at the bottom of the home page. If it were active, I'd say great, join - but it's not so it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. It accompanied a Net (discussion) that used to be on ham radio, but ham radio has declined so much the Net went away and the activity on the group declined as well.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The one group more applicable here is
https://lawabidingcitizen.groups.io/g/main
But it is not active and you have to join to see content using the Blue button at the bottom of the home page. If it were active, I'd say great, join - but it's not so it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. It accompanied a Net (discussion) that used to be on ham radio, but ham radio has declined so much the Net went away and the activity on the group declined as well.

Once my freedom day comes round it's something that would interest me. Maybe a Calguns radio group?