Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-06-2019, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Default HOLYCR..OW! Wow what a difference a 27" monitor makes...

Coming from a 14+ year old 21" monitor (?Hz refresh?), I think I paid like ~$250 for, this 4ms 27" Acer on sale on Amazon for like $149.99... I might just get a second... and maybe a third?

A BUNCH more real estate from 1680x1050 to 1920 x1080, at least it feels like a bunch more, even on Calguns. My retinas are burning with the brightness, too...

Gaining what might be 7.3469% in LibreOffice Calc maybe just seems like a LOT...
iPhone users can now take "vertical pictures" with multiple lenses... in HI-RES!!! Their kids will regret looking at the vertical pics on wide-screen monitors (few really use vertical monitors) after they have passed, but whatever, it's all about holding it wrong...

Last edited by the86d; 11-06-2019 at 9:18 PM..
Old 11-06-2019, 9:30 PM

Big monitors are great. I've been using a 2560 x 1600 30" for years and will never go back to anything smaller.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 11-06-2019, 9:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Coming from a 14+ year old 21" monitor (?Hz refresh?), I think I paid like ~$250 for, this 4ms 27" Acer on sale on Amazon for like $149.99... I might just get a second... and maybe a third?

A BUNCH more real estate from 1680x1050 to 1920 x1080, at least it feels like a bunch more, even on Calguns. My retinas are burning with the brightness, too...

Gaining what might be 7.3469% in LibreOffice Calc maybe just seems like a LOT...

1993 called for you. They wanted to know if you still have their CRT somewhere back there.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:17 PM

That's not a monitor, THIS is a monitor:

42" 4K TV.... 3840x2160.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357manny View Post
1993 called for you. They wanted to know if you still have their CRT somewhere back there.
No kidding.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get the 34" curved then you'll really be wowed. Indo want to replace my 27 1080p with another curved 34
Old 11-07-2019, 1:08 AM

Virtual desktops are your friend.
Old 11-07-2019, 5:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
Get the 34" curved then you'll really be wowed. Indo want to replace my 27 1080p with another curved 34
Yeah, I am not sure I want to move across the mouse pad 3 times to hit the other end of the screen...
iPhone users can now take "vertical pictures" with multiple lenses... in HI-RES!!! Their kids will regret looking at the vertical pics on wide-screen monitors (few really use vertical monitors) after they have passed, but whatever, it's all about holding it wrong...
Old 11-07-2019, 6:56 AM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

That’s not a monitor, THIS is a monitor.

65” 4K Sony XBR-65X850E TV...3480x2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post

42" 4K TV.... 3840x2160.
Old 11-07-2019, 7:07 AM

I have a 32" 1920x1080p HP gaming monitor. Perfect size for that resolution. Anything bigger, would probably send me into a seizure.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Right now I think a 27" 1440 monitor is the sweet spot and the larger or wider monitors for the enthusiast class. My 8 year old 24" is starting to feel dated, especially now that I'll be finally replacing my 10 year old computer.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 11-07-2019, 11:14 AM

Much depends upon how far your eyes are from the monitor. There's a practical limit to how wide it should be at any distance. My 30" is about 25" from my eyes. I could go just a bit bigger but then I approach the point where I have to move my eyes too much to see what's at the sides.

Curved monitors seem like a nifty idea, but for optimal use, you need to position your head at the center of the radius of the screen. That's usually too close. So, generally speaking, curved screens are a gimmick and only optimal in the best of circumstances for someone sitting exactly centered in front of the screen.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 11-07-2019, 1:02 PM

I used to have a Dell 30" 4K monitor, but the 60hz refresh rate sucked when gaming. When I switched out my AMD R9 card for a RTX 2080, I also replaced the monitor for the Dell 34" curved ultra wide. Couldn't be happier.
Old 11-07-2019, 4:15 PM

Pick up one of these on black Friday. I forgot which holiday it was but I got mine during a holiday sale. These seem to go on holiday sale often.

1440p, 120hz refresh rate. It ain't 4k but the nice refresh rate on the resolution is good 'nuff for me, for now. Most generic rigs struggle to do the 4k 144hz that everyone seems to pine for anyways.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alie...or-accessories

That ultra-wide is really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Caliber Carbines View Post
Buy it, try it, and judge for yourself.
Because reading reviews and internet forum posts isn't really the most reliable research.
Old 11-07-2019, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
Pick up one of these on black Friday. I forgot which holiday it was but I got mine during a holiday sale. These seem to go on holiday sale often.

1440p, 120hz refresh rate. It ain't 4k but the nice refresh rate on the resolution is good 'nuff for me, for now. Most generic rigs struggle to do the 4k 144hz that everyone seems to pine for anyways.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alie...or-accessories

That ultra-wide is really nice.
Yep, this is monitor I'm using. Picked it up for $700 out the door last Black Friday. Dell just released the AW3420 (https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/3ciy)
Old 11-07-2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357manny View Post
Believe it or not some of us still look out for a good CRT now and then. I don't have any CRT PC monitors, but I do have a Sony 36" CRT Wega TV to play my vintage game consoles on, since LCD TVs suck for those. Also have a legit 29" CRT tri-sync arcade monitor for my arcade cabinet project. For some things, you just can't beat the original technology.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
Believe it or not some of us still look out for a good CRT now and then. I don't have any CRT PC monitors, but I do have a Sony 36" CRT Wega TV to play my vintage game consoles on, since LCD TVs suck for those. Also have a legit 29" CRT tri-sync arcade monitor for my arcade cabinet project. For some things, you just can't beat the original technology.

I have a 25" Sony Trinitron monitor somewhere in storage that still works. It has two, VGA ports.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
jNES CURRENT, full screen NES emu w/bluetooth k-trollerz, ALL YOU NEED.
Old 11-09-2019, 5:27 AM
Calguns Addict

I REALLY never expected (what was at the time) a newer tech. to last 15 years, and the old monitor is still going strong but I wanted to upgrade.

What is the longest you've had an LCD monitor last w/continuous use?

Last edited by the86d; 11-09-2019 at 8:19 AM..
Old 11-09-2019, 10:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, I am not sure I want to move across the mouse pad 3 times to hit the other end of the screen...

lol.. true true... i increase the sensitivity and acceleration. but one does have to precise sometimes but i don't do graphics requiring that level of precision when getting to points on a screen.

Quote:
well, my 27" 1080p is my secondary. it's bout 8 yrs old, almost 9. it mainly plays youtube/netflix/etc while i'm doing work or stuff on the 34"

Last edited by high_revs; 11-09-2019 at 10:14 AM..
Old 11-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I REALLY never expected (what was at the time) a newer tech. to last 15 years, and the old monitor is still going strong but I wanted to upgrade.

My current 24" is going on about 8+ with no signs of any problems whatsoever. I don't remember when, exactly, I bought it. It may actually be older than I can recall. Computers have gotten much more reliable if you start with good components. I overclocked my system and it lasted more than 10 years. I've upgraded parts so many times, the motherboard (I'm estimating about 7 + generations old) is no longer capable of accepting the newer peripherals and still everything is working fine.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee

Last edited by Mute; 11-09-2019 at 10:23 AM..
Old 11-10-2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
jNES CURRENT, full screen NES emu w/bluetooth k-trollerz, ALL YOU NEED.
Emulation is great, I use it for all the console systems on my computers. I run Mesen and the Retroarch core for Nestopia UE for NES though, most accurate emulators available.

However, nothing beats an original NES console with an Everdrive connected to a CRT TV. Original hardware, original controllers, no emulator glitches or lag, and I can play light gun games. Can you play Hogan's Alley on your LCD?

Old 11-11-2019, 5:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post

42" 4K TV.... 3840x2160.
Thats what I use. 43" 4K TVs are cheap nowdays...

Only issue is your video card has to be able to support it and refresh rate is very important. If you can't run your stuff at 4K/60 forget it.

I tried one of those huge 49" Dell curved monitors. Honestly, it was awful. A massive amount of desk space taken up by a thing with an awkward resolution that sort of worked like 2 monitors, but then you were always turning your head one way or the other. They are garbage.

My 4K I split into 4 HD monitors. Some of the other guys here split theirs into like 6 or 7 monitors of various resolutions.
"A rational mind does not work under compulsion; it does not subordinate its grasp of reality to anyone’s orders, directives, or controls; it does not sacrifice its knowledge, its view of the truth, to anyone’s opinions, threats, wishes, plans, or “welfare.” Such a mind may be hampered by others, it may be silenced, proscribed, imprisoned, or destroyed; it cannot be forced; a gun is not an argument."

Last edited by ibanezfoo; 11-11-2019 at 6:14 AM..