Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-10-2019, 3:10 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default S 69, Cornyn - concealed carry reciprocity 2019

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...%5D%7D&s=1&r=5 ,no text yet

See also https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ciprocity-act/ and https://www.cornyn.senate.gov/conten...ciprocity-bill
Quote:
WASHINGTON –U.S. Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) introduced the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. This legislation will allow individuals with concealed carry privileges in their home state to exercise those rights in any other state with concealed carry laws, while abiding by that state’s laws.

“This bill focuses on two of our country’s most fundamental constitutional protections– the Second Amendment’s right of citizens to keep and bear arms and the Tenth Amendment’s right of states to make laws best-suited for their residents,” said Sen. Cornyn. “I look forward to working with my colleagues to advance this important legislation for law-abiding gun owners nationwide.”

The legislation is cosponsored by U.S. Senators John Barrasso (R-WY), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Mike Braun (R-IN), Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), Bill Cassidy (R-LA), Tom Cotton (R-AR), Mike Crapo (R-ID), Ted Cruz (R-TX), Steve Daines (R-MT), Mike Enzi (R-WY), Joni Ernst (R-IA), Deb Fischer (R-NE), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), John Hoeven (R-ND), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS), Jim Inhofe (R-OK), Ron Johnson (R-WI), John Kennedy (R-LA), Jerry Moran (R-KS), David Perdue (R-GA), Rob Portman (R-OH), Jim Risch (R-ID), Pat Roberts (R-KS), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Richard Shelby (R-AL), Dan Sullivan (R-AK), John Thune (R-SD), Thom Tillis (R-NC), and Roger Wicker (R-MS).

Background on the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act:

Protecting Fundamental Constitutional Rights:

Allows law-abiding citizens to exercise their fundamental right to self-defense while they are traveling or temporarily living away from home.
Allows individuals with concealed carry privileges in their home state to conceal carry in any other states that also allow concealed carry.
Treats state-issued concealed carry permits like drivers’ licenses where an individual can use their home-state license to drive in another state, but must abide by that other state’s speed limit or road laws.

Respecting State Sovereignty:

Does not establish national standards for concealed carry.
Does not provide for a national concealed carry permit.
Does not allow a resident to circumvent their home state’s concealed carry permit laws. If under current law an individual is prohibited by federal law from carrying a firearm, they will continue to be prohibited from doing so under our bill.
Respects state laws concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried and types of firearms which may not be carried by the visiting individual.
Protects states’ rights by not mandating the right to concealed carry in places that do not allow the practice.

Broad Support:

Last Congress, identical legislation had 40 cosponsors. In the 113th Congress, a nearly identical amendment received 57 votes in the Senate, including 13 Democrats.
Press release, so no copyright issue.

And, similar to DiFi's AW ban not making it through the Senate, this almost certainly cannot pass the current House.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-10-2019, 5:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Given the timing, does one suspect a "national reciprocity for UBC" could brew? I'd be a no on the deal, and wonder if it's genuinely offered or used as a poison pill bargaining chip to the other side. We know the anti-gun version of compromise is one sided, does this allow us to appear malleable and them greedy?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:32 PM

Great news, lets hope this goes forward. No more multi-state CCWs. I have to get a second to carry my out of state permits LOL

Come on senate, lets make this happen!!!!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:29 AM

Great to see that the issue of national carry is not completely dead. But, IMHO this cannot pass the House, given all of the Dem. opposition to Trump and anything pro 2A. I would love to see something like this pass so that I could continue to carry in CA after I move to ID. But, this may be irrelevant if I never return. However, it would be good for others.
Old 01-11-2019, 2:04 AM

It passed the house what last year. Educate me, does it have to go back to the house? If so this measure is toast!!!
Old 01-11-2019, 8:28 AM

Hudson's House-originated H.R.38 was what passed the House in the last session, which included non-res. reciprocity in CCW-unfriendly states. Cornyn's S.446 last session was originated, but never voted on in the Senate. It's this bill that has been resurrected, not the more important Hudson bill.

While reciprocity will help some carry in CA, Cornyn's bill does not go far enough to punish regressive states by taking away their abilities to declare gun-free zones and magazine limitations.

In either case, this is simply a gambit to counter the AWB and background checks bill. None of the above will pass this session.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark49 View Post
It passed the house what last year. Educate me, does it have to go back to the house? If so this measure is toast!!!
Everything from last year - The 2017-2018 115th Congress - that did not pass is now permanently dead; measures must be reintroduced in the current,116th, Congressional session.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM

The way I read this one was that you must have a CCW in your home state, so CA residents with non-resident AZ or UT or other states would still not be able to carry in CA, even if this does pass (which it won’t).
Old 01-11-2019, 11:24 AM

I'd like to point out that as far as Calif is concerned, this will do nothing to legitimize out of state permits...because in Ca, the permit MUST list the name and serial number of the firearm carried...Most states do not require this... Correct me if I am wrong...

Respects state laws concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried and types of firearms which may not be carried by the visiting individual.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmapache View Post
I'd like to point out that as far as Calif is concerned, this will do nothing to legitimize out of state permits...because in Ca, the permit MUST list the name and serial number of the firearm carried...Most states do not require this... Correct me if I am wrong...

Won't pass the house anyway so doesn't matter.

Voting "Yes" on a California bond measure is like giving a degenerate gambler more money because he says he has the game figured out....

John 14:6
Old 01-11-2019, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

This thing is as dead as FeinSteins 2019 AWB.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 PM
Calguns Addict

All the GOP controlled Senate had to do last year was to pass this bill, then it and the GOP controlled House version would go to reconciliation where they'd agree to the House version and then it gets sent back to both chambers for pro forma vote and then on to Trump's desk and a Christmas present for us all, even if not perfect. But instead we got a lump of coal (nothing).

My guess is they didn't want it to get passed so votes against it this year and/or next year could be used against the Dems in 2020. But that's just

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 02-10-2019 at 8:47 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 11:02 PM

If this were to pass, would an out of state permit be usable for those of us who have the Utah non-resident permit but can’t get a permit in their home county? (Los Angeles County)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-15-2019, 9:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Red meat for the base. It is not intended to pass but get you to the polls in 2020.
Old 02-07-2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Red meat for the base. It is not intended to pass but get you to the polls in 2020.
I think you are correct and if it did pass nothing would be accomplished unless something is done first to stop states from simply ignoring the law.
Old 02-07-2019, 8:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Filibuster.
Old 02-08-2019, 3:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrwrx21 View Post
If this were to pass, would an out of state permit be usable for those of us who have the Utah non-resident permit but can’t get a permit in their home county? (Los Angeles County)

Usable everywhere except your state of residence
Old 02-10-2019, 8:20 PM

so many of "us" are opposed to this anyway.
it really pisses me off that my little brother is a LE in NY and can carry in my home town ( but doesn't because his agency doesn't let him drink beers and carry ) and I can't.
I even quit drinking 24 yrs ago too!
hopefully this ny p and r club lawsuit about permitted people carrying out of city limits kills this bs once and for all
Old 02-12-2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrwrx21 View Post

Nope. This changes very little for people in commie states. It's a step in the right direction but ultimately will not pass
Old 11-07-2019, 8:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
01/09/2019 Introduced in Senate
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...%5D%7D&r=5&s=1

The only actions taken were it's introduction to the Senate and assignment to the Judiciary Cmte, both on 2019 Jan 09. I guess they're not spending any time and effort on it because, since the House flipped to Dem control, it will be DOA there.

Too bad the Senate Repubs didn't push it in the first 2 years of Trump's term when they did control both chambers. (It passed the House, but the Senate never acted on it.)

We'll soon find out if Mitch was right to focus on the courts, esp circuit courts of appeals and SCOTUS, instead.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 11-07-2019 at 9:03 PM..
Old 11-07-2019, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Great news, lets hope this goes forward. No more multi-state CCWs. I have to get a second to carry my out of state permits LOL

Come on senate, lets make this happen!!!!
So you want to reduce State's rights even further by taking away their right to regulate CCW?

Heller v. DC PDF

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Understand that is a statist, progressive liberal big-government loving position.

Not the position of a Libertarian or Conservative that cherishes rights.

=8-|
Old 11-07-2019, 10:14 PM

I disagree, the Bill of Rights is pretty clear to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
So you want to reduce State's rights even further by taking away their right to regulate CCW?

Heller v. DC PDF

Understand that is a statist, progressive liberal big-government loving position.

=8-|
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Million Mag March Commemorative Decal HERE
Old 11-08-2019, 5:05 AM

Quote:

Heller v. DC PDF

=8-|
MRRabit, I think you're definition of Libertarian is a little screwy here. Libertarianism generally clings to restraining government from restricting an individual's rights. Libertarianism isn't defined as the states having the ability to restrain rights. I think your view of what it means to "cherish rights" is probably a few paces off from the norm as well.
We can help with loans and refi's. 10% of all commissions will be donated to CG.

Serving the greater San Diego area.

Aaron Ross - BRE #01865640
CA Broker
Old 11-08-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsenerd View Post
MRRabit, I think you're definition of Libertarian is a little screwy here. Libertarianism generally clings to restraining government from restricting an individual's rights. Libertarianism isn't defined as the states having the ability to restrain rights. I think your view of what it means to "cherish rights" is probably a few paces off from the norm as well.
I think MrRabbit was referencing federalism. He is also correct that some prominent legal scholars associated with libertarianism (e.g., Josh Blackman, Randy Barnett) have concerns about the best way to achieve nationwide CCW. See http://joshblackman.com/blog/2015/02...onstitutional/ Although I think Prof. Blackman is associated with libertarianism, I think his concerns regarding the best way to achieve nationwide CCW is based on his understanding of original intent.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Garbage bill. We need one that allows anyone with "A" ccw from "ANY" state to carry nationwide.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 11-08-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
I think MrRabbit was referencing federalism. He is also correct that some prominent legal scholars associated with libertarianism (e.g., Josh Blackman, Randy Barnett) have concerns about the best way to achieve nationwide CCW. See http://joshblackman.com/blog/2015/02...onstitutional/ Although I think Prof. Blackman is associated with libertarianism, I think his concerns regarding the best way to achieve nationwide CCW is based on his understanding of original intent.
Could be a mistake, and I understand wanting to preserve state's rights. But to equate state's ability to limit rights as libertarian is an error at best.
We can help with loans and refi's. 10% of all commissions will be donated to CG.

Serving the greater San Diego area.

Aaron Ross - BRE #01865640
CA Broker
Old 11-08-2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
This is a new bill. Bills die at the end of a term unless acted upon. The last one died in the Senate when it was not brought up for a vote. This one will also die in the Senate because, just like last year, there are not 60 votes to stop a filibuster and get it to the floor for an up or down vote. No need to say it, but with the way the Dems are running their Presidential campaigns, ain't no way it even gets out of committee in the House.
Old 11-08-2019, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...%5D%7D&r=5&s=1

The only actions taken were it's introduction to the Senate and assignment to the Judiciary Cmte, both on 2019 Jan 09. I guess they're not spending any time and effort on it because, since the House flipped to Dem control, it will be DOA there.

Too bad the Senate Repubs didn't push it in the first 2 years of Trump's term when they did control both chambers. (It passed the House, but the Senate never acted on it.)

We'll soon find out if Mitch was right to focus on the courts, esp circuit courts of appeals and SCOTUS, instead.
The Senate didn't act on it since it takes 60 votes to call for cloture is a filibuster is made. The Repubs only had 51 party members, and maybe a few Dems. McConnell never called for a vote since he knew he couldn't beat a filibuster.
Old 11-08-2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:

Heller v. DC PDF

=8-|
States rights need to be reduced a lot although in some states more than others because many states refuse to follow the law. The constitution states the right to bear arms shall not be infringed so any state that infringes on a citizens right is breaking the law.
Old 11-08-2019, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

Wow...two posters clearly didnt read the PDF...and course the usual strawman's in play.

=8-)
Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dale View Post
States rights need to be reduced a lot although in some states more than others because many states refuse to follow the law. The constitution states the right to bear arms shall not be infringed so any state that infringes on a citizens right is breaking the law.
It's the Bill of Rights. And the preamble to the BoR makes clear it constrained the federal government against the states. But, times change.

Like it or not (I often don't) that's what the courts are for - determining when that line is crossed. It's unfortunate some support or oppose the concept of states rights based solely on a particular issue, and most often whether they like the outcome or not, rather than on the application of a principle. Much like supporting "free speech" only when one agrees with the content.

I maintain 4 non-resident CCWs/LTC and it is a PITA. However I am not interested in opening up to federal intrusion that which is currently the purview of only the states themselves. And although the federal government may have the authority via the current interpretation of the Commerce Clause it has thus far demurred. But we should note that certain Senators, following our lead but headed to a different destination, have already proposed stringent "may issue" national standards that would obliterate about 30 "shall issue" and a dozen constitutional carry states.

Even "national reciprocity" carries risk as it allows the federal government to occupy the field of CCW issuance. It takes only a line or two to go from all states being required to honor "the public carry rights of residents of all states including those which require no permit" to the aforementioned plus "so long as that state has licensing requirements equal to its own and is approved by the US Attorney General". I'm using shorthand but I think the point is clear.
Old 11-09-2019, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
It's the Bill of Rights. And the preamble to the BoR makes clear it constrained the federal government against the states. But, times change.

Like it or not (I often don't) that's what the courts are for - determining when that line is crossed. It's unfortunate some support or oppose the concept of states rights based solely on a particular issue, and most often whether they like the outcome or not, rather than on the application of a principle. Much like supporting "free speech" only when one agrees with the content.

I maintain 4 non-resident CCWs/LTC and it is a PITA. However I am not interested in opening up to federal intrusion that which is currently the purview of only the states themselves. And although the federal government may have the authority via the current interpretation of the Commerce Clause it has thus far demurred. But we should note that certain Senators, following our lead but headed to a different destination, have already proposed stringent "may issue" national standards that would obliterate about 30 "shall issue" and a dozen constitutional carry states.

Even "national reciprocity" carries risk as it allows the federal government to occupy the field of CCW issuance. It takes only a line or two to go from all states being required to honor "the public carry rights of residents of all states including those which require no permit" to the aforementioned plus "so long as that state has licensing requirements equal to its own and is approved by the US Attorney General". I'm using shorthand but I think the point is clear.
IMO states only have rights in areas where there is no federal regulation, if there was no 1A or 2A then it would be ok for states or local gov to make laws in those areas as they see fit. If states would all do what is right then there would be no need for the feds to intervene.
Old 11-09-2019, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
IMO states only have rights in areas where there is no federal regulation, if there was no 1A or 2A then it would be ok for states or local gov to make laws in those areas as they see fit. If states would all do what is right then there would be no need for the feds to intervene.
R Dale

I want to to go back and read what you just posted.

Read it once...

Read it again...

And if you still can't figure out why...

Kahane, Howard, Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life

Chapter 7 - Analyzing and Constructing Extended Arguments

You either are a big government liberal progressive who just loves to support the Federal Government efforts to run roughshod over the rights of citizens and the state - and puts privilege above rights . . .

OR

You don't really bother to analyze your own arguments when constructing them.

=8-|
Old 11-09-2019, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Just trying to get Trump re-elected is reason enough for me.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
R Dale

I want to to go back and read what you just posted.

Read it once...

Read it again...

And if you still can't figure out why...

Kahane, Howard, Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life

Chapter 7 - Analyzing and Constructing Extended Arguments

You either are a big government liberal progressive who just loves to support the Federal Government efforts to run roughshod over the rights of citizens and the state - and puts privilege above rights . . .

OR

You don't really bother to analyze your own arguments when constructing them.

=8-|
I simply support the Federal government coming to the aid of citizens when the state they live in is denying their rights. If that makes me a liberal progressive then so be it.
Old 11-10-2019, 8:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That may be the way it is now due to federal supremacy and the 14th Amendment legal theory of "incorporation". That wasn't the intention of the authors of the Bill of Rights which, if one reads in its entirety to include the preamble, is clear.

"THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution."

There is presently no federal law regulating the carrying of firearms in public by residents of their own states, nor with agreements between states regarding non-resident carry within another state. It should remain so. And based upon your opening line that states have rights only when "there is no federal regulation" it would seem that statement is at odds with inviting a "federal CCW".

Last edited by dfletcher; 11-10-2019 at 9:13 PM..
Old 11-10-2019, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I simply support the Federal government coming to the aid of citizens when the state they live in is denying their rights. If that makes me a liberal progressive then so be it.
Well, don't get upset when the federal government tells you who you must sell your home to, tells your local baker who they must make a cake for, that your kid must attend sexual orientation classes or your use of "he or she" is actionable in court.

The exercise of rights is often not clear cut. You may not like where the feds come down carving up who gets to do what.
Old 11-10-2019, 9:05 PM

Constitutional carry, by it's very name, should be nation-wide, just like free speech or any other "God-given" right.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:44 PM

You guys couldn't make this happen when you controlled both houses? With the Dens running the House, this is an empty gesture.
Old 11-11-2019, 1:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalJacket View Post
You guys couldn't make this happen when you controlled both houses? With the Dens running the House, this is an empty gesture.

There were too many Rinos in the senate.