Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-09-2019, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by small hole shooter View Post
Two tube fed Marlin 60's, Ruger Mark II, Gamo Big Cat 1200 in .177. for small game.

Great choices.

The Marlin 60's are an excellent gun.

I just hate cleaning them.
Old 10-16-2019, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

I can keep the peace and defend the helpless inside any stadium used as a shelter for a hypothetical Katrina style apocalypse and with a simple 10/22

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 10-16-2019, 7:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

a 10/22 is so good its hard to pick another i too have an ar-7 and with my ramline mags it works great but i still do not trust it

a repeating firearm is a must because a follow up shot is lfe and death

so any tube or mag fed bolt action,lever,pump should be fine and can use longs and shorts better than a selfloader

ive got a few 22s all have strengths and weaknesses

my stainless marlin 60 is ok but its plastic is brittle the triggerguard on mine is plastic and has little cracks

i guess the one i would like to have the most
would be my 6 7/8" mark2
Old 10-17-2019, 4:18 PM

I have both 10-22 and an AR-7 my Dad bought in 1980. The 10-22 wins in most categories, but what the AR-7 gives up in accuracy, it gains in compactness and weather tolerance. The take-down 10-22 would be a clear winner.
Old 10-17-2019, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
I think I would get a Ruger 10/22 breakdown backpack model with a rail that would take the different optics ( red-dot, scope, etc.) I could put in that same backpack.

I would upgrade all the parts I could do myself like trigger, extended mag release, nice sling, installing the scope rail if necessary, high visibility front and rear sights. Etc..
Keeping all the original Factory stock parts in the same backpack.

Yet I would always keep in mind that I wouldn't want to over modify it in a way that would interfere with me changing it's back to its original condition, in case I have to change out any broken or damaged parts. Parts that I obtain from the billions of other Ruger 10/22 rifles sitting in a lot of closets because they're dead from the plague or zombee apocalypse.

And lots and lots of magazines. I know Factory Ruger ones work great but I don't think I would be too particular in shtf.
This^^^^^^^^ except for suppressed!
“Unless a law-abiding individual has a firearm for his or her own defense, the police typically arrive after it is too late. With rigor mortis setting in, they mark and bag the evidence, interview bystanders, and draw a chalk outline on the ground. But the victim, nevertheless, is dead, or raped, or robbed, or traumatized.” ......
“The Second Amendment does not exist to protect the right to bear down pillows and foam baseball bats.”
—————————————————-
The Honorable Roger T. Benitez
Old 10-17-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drutledge79 View Post
In my research years ago I only remembered one thing about the AR-7: stay way -- not reliable. Am I remembering wrong? Perhaps there was a break in manufacture. I recall them being made a long time ago and then a long break and then now someone makes them again at a lower quality.
The ar-7s have been made by I think 3 different companies now. The original armilite ones were good then charter started making them and those are the ones I keep reading about being crap but now Henry makes them and they’ve stepped up the quality. I’m quite happy with mine.
Old 10-18-2019, 3:04 PM

Mine is one of the Charter Arms AR-7's (1980). Only issue I ever had was the trigger was slow to reset after 20 years. I took the side plate off of the receiver and the fire control was full of dry white crud. Cleaned and lubed (only do this if you need to do some serious swearing) it works fine now. Other than that it has been great fun.
Old 10-18-2019, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

I WOULD trust my life to my MK-III with CCI Minimags, if stored in moderate condifions... It's my Garage-gun...
iPhone users can now take "vertical pictures" with multiple lenses... in HI-RES!!! Their kids will regret looking at the vertical pics on wide-screen monitors (few really use vertical monitors) after they have passed, but whatever, it's all about holding it wrong...
Old 10-18-2019, 7:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drutledge79 View Post
In my research years ago I only remembered one thing about the AR-7: stay way -- not reliable. Am I remembering wrong? Perhaps there was a break in manufacture. I recall them being made a long time ago and then a long break and then now someone makes them again at a lower quality.
No you're correct. I've got one and the main reason they'd jam, usually, was that the shooter instinctively uses the mag as a palm rest, which can cause feed issues.

On mine, I put a piece of high density foam in the mag well, then made a hand guard that butts up to the barrel screw, and is attached to the barrel with Velcro. I put Velcro on the butt stock so the HG can stow there when the rifle is in the float mode. Works slick, looks cool.

But I'll be going with a 10/22 in a TacStar, hooded front, peep rear, a few mags. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 10-19-2019, 5:01 PM

I agree with the 10/22 and lower priced variable optic and quality CCI stinger ammo. There have been untold numbers of deer poached with 22 and I've yet to hear about anyone shot with a 22 who didn't want to find a E.R. pronto. Something with iron back up sights would be absolute for a rifle put in this role.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:33 PM

CMMG 22cal adapter for AR15 with 2 mags plus several hundred rounds fit in a small case.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Rossi RB22. Light (4lbs) Simple and reliable (bolt action). Accurate (bolt action). Not very expensive ($118 on sale).
Old 10-20-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
I have an AR-7 and it is more reliable than my 10/22. Breaks down nicely too.
What kind of sights do you have on the AR-7?
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 AM

My AR-7 has proved 100% reliable over almost 40 years except with hollowpoints. I switched over to solids, or stingers, and it runs great even from an old 25 round Ramline mag.

The older Armalite and Charter Arms AR-& will float indefinitely, the Henry's with the extra mags and change to floatation material will only float like 5 minutes. Once the air bubbles out of the stock they will sink.

Last edited by Dieppe42; 10-21-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Old 10-24-2019, 11:22 AM
Calguns Addict

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/inde...79js3h3f2unr33
A bit everpriced, but it is an option for cosmetics...
iPhone users can now take "vertical pictures" with multiple lenses... in HI-RES!!! Their kids will regret looking at the vertical pics on wide-screen monitors (few really use vertical monitors) after they have passed, but whatever, it's all about holding it wrong...
Old 10-28-2019, 5:00 AM

I have a takedown 10/22, I also have an M&P 15 22. The M&P will shoot anything I load it with without jamming, breaks down and prior to an emergency situation, a lot more fun to shoot.
Old 10-28-2019, 5:33 AM

Suppressed.

"If you are going to stir the shtpot, eventually you have to lick the spoon."

Old 10-28-2019, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Suppressed.
Like my newly acquired Ruger Charger w/ accessories , Ain't it fun to live in Free America .

Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones , cause I got a sling shot

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.
Old 10-28-2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I WOULD trust my life to my MK-III with CCI Minimags, if stored in moderate condifions... It's my Garage-gun...
Same with my 22/45.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
If things get that bad there will not be any game left in short order and living off the land is a fantasy that will get you killed.
While part of my owning guns is for SHTF scenarios, I don't put THAT much thought into it. However, wouldn't what you said above sort of depend on where you live?

Perhaps counter-intuitively, I feel like those of us living in the suburbs that abut undeveloped areas might not have it that bad. Especially in liberal NorCal areas. I don't think I live in an area awash with gun-people so I think I would not have that much competition for small game hunting.

Probably there are more people with guns around me than I think, but still, I think game is more likely to vanish (or move out of reach) out in the sticks where there is a far more well-armed populace in general.

I think at least in the initial stages of SHTF, my family would be more at risk from me bringing home "bad" (diseased) kills rather than me bringing home no kills.
Old 11-07-2019, 1:21 PM

I still have my Remington 572 Fieldmaster pump that my Dad bought me in the late 50's. I did take the old scope off of it. Should get a new Simmons or equal just so I can see better.
I have Henry's, Rossi's, 10/22's as well, but I think I would pick up the Fieldmaster if I had to choose one.
Old 11-07-2019, 1:52 PM

Not my very first choice, but better than nothing.
Old 11-07-2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
While part of my owning guns is for SHTF scenarios, I don't put THAT much thought into it. However, wouldn't what you said above sort of depend on where you live?

Perhaps counter-intuitively, I feel like those of us living in the suburbs that abut undeveloped areas might not have it that bad. Especially in liberal NorCal areas. I don't think I live in an area awash with gun-people so I think I would not have that much competition for small game hunting.

Probably there are more people with guns around me than I think, but still, I think game is more likely to vanish (or move out of reach) out in the sticks where there is a far more well-armed populace in general.

I think at least in the initial stages of SHTF, my family would be more at risk from me bringing home "bad" (diseased) kills rather than me bringing home no kills.
So lets say you are a family of 4. That is 6000 calories a day in mild weather to hunt and fish for. Double that if it cold outside. Just how may cats are you going to kill. There isn't enough calories walking and swimming around to keep you and your family alive. Its just a numbers game and it doesn't add up.
Old 11-08-2019, 8:42 AM

Remington nylon 66, tube fed, no mags to deal with, holds 14 rounds, accurate, light weight, and damn reliable.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
Not my very first choice, but better than nothing.
Much better than a stick, even a sharp one, unless spear-fishing...