Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-13-2013, 7:53 PM

Default Experiences with T-Mobile?

Does anyone around here who lives in So Cal (preferably the Palmdale/Lancaster area) have any experience with T-Mobile?

I've been considering picking up a Nexus 4, ditching Verizon, and going with one of T-Mobile's $30/month "unlimited" data plans (5GB HSPA+ 4G/month) with limited talk (100 minutes/month) but I don't have any experiences with T-Mobile... nor do I think I know anyone out here who's a T-Mobile customer. Why would I consider this, you ask? Because executing this course of action with two phones would save me about $500/year.
Old 02-13-2013, 8:33 PM

I don't know anything about your specific areas.

T-Mobile is okay if you have good coverage and sticks to areas with good coverage. If you travel a lot, you may get frustrated.

One thing to note is that you have ~14 days to change your mind after you
get a new phone and sign the contract. So you can go with that, test it
out before canceling your Verizon plan. If it doesn't work out you just need
to pay for your usage and you can walk away.
Old 02-13-2013, 8:35 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have t-mobile. My wife and I are on the "value plan." Less than $90 a month for two phones, 2 gb of data each (it's unlimited but throttled at 2gb), unlimited text, and like 1,000 minutes of talk I think.

I get great service everywhere I have been, so I am pretty happy. I have a GNex.
Old 02-13-2013, 8:39 PM

I have been with Tmoble for years never have had a problem. Just signed another 2 year contract and picked up the new Nexus4.. Nice phone, very fast.
Old 02-13-2013, 9:47 PM

You get what u pay for...Verizon has real 4 g lte...T-Mobile is still GSM slow slow slow internet...another thing too keep in mind is your contract gets renewed every time u change your plan...keep Verizon and upgrade to a 4g lte smarthphone...I love my Verizon service...they are the best hands down!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Not sure what ambiguous216 is talking about... I have the 4G unlimited from T-Mobile and 95% of the time run faster than 10 Mbps down and over 1.5 Mbps up... Last test I ran was 13.83 Mbps down and 1.83 Mbps up with a 74ms ping to the server. Seems pretty fast to me... Not sure what the Verizon average DL is.

My personal experience with T-Mobile has been pretty damn positive. Been with em for over 8 years and haven't had any customer service or phone service issues.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 AM
Calguns Addict

T Mobile 4G Is Actually hspa+. Is That Bad? No. I Get 15Mbps To 20Mbps Pretty Much Everywhere. faster Than All My Friends Phones On The Lte Networks They're On.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

I connected an iphone5 2 weeks ago and the service is lousy
they told me that its because its not a tmobile phone so its missing certain 'antennas' :cough bs cough:

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-14-2013, 12:51 AM
Calguns Addict

SUCK! In Nor Cal, they are terrible. Poor reception, spotty service, bad call quality, and lots of dropped calls. I know this as my friends that have TMobile always have issues. On the plus side, they seem to still have a true unlimited plan compared to the big 2.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 02-14-2013, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyworm View Post
One thing to note is that you have ~14 days to change your mind after you
get a new phone and sign the contract. So you can go with that, test it
out before canceling your Verizon plan. If it doesn't work out you just need
to pay for your usage and you can walk away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous216 View Post
You get what u pay for...Verizon has real 4 g lte...T-Mobile is still GSM slow slow slow internet...another thing too keep in mind is your contract gets renewed every time u change your plan...keep Verizon and upgrade to a 4g lte smarthphone...I love my Verizon service...they are the best hands down!!!
The $30/month plan (5GB HSPA+ data, unlimited text, 100 minutes/month) that I'm looking at is a month-to-month (no contract) and I'd be buying the phones unsubsidized through the Google Play store. Honestly, I hate the phone subsidization and contract model because it nearly always costs more in the long run than just buying the damn phone and not having the cost of the phone worked into the service price. The cost of Verizon's service is the same regardless of whether they're subsidizing your phone or not (basically meaning that they're ripping you off if you bought your phone outright or keep your subsidized phone for longer than your contract term).

With Verizon, I'm currently on a Droid 3 (3G data only, grandfathered unlimited...but they'll take that away if I upgrade phones) and my wife just has a basic phone that's about 6 years old. Together they cost us $99/month before taxes ($112/month after taxes). Provided that T-Mobile's service isn't crap out here, we could go with two Nexus 4 phones for $60/month (before taxes), break even on the $600 purchase price of the two phones in a little more than a year, and then save just shy of $500 ($468) every year from there on out when compared to our current situation with Verizon (would save even more if you compared to two smartphones on Verizon).
Old 02-14-2013, 7:13 AM

Gotta say I looked into the T-Mobile plan and its quite appealing! Although I did read they don't have the greatest customer service. I live in Reno NV and am from Quincy CA. In Quincy, T-Mobile doesn't get good service at all but Verizon does. So I stuck with Verizon.

Speed wise in Reno, T-Mobile's 4g is fairly impressive. My friend gets around 8-10 megs down with a ping of 54ms. My Verizon phone gets 15 to 20 megs down and 37ms ping.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-14-2013, 7:28 AM
Bacon makes it better

http://opensignal.com/network-covera...verage-map.php
Old 02-14-2013, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
Interesting site. I did run across another site like that one.... however, the problem with both sites is that the data is crowdsourced and very few people in the AV seem to be participating in such services (both sites suffer from a lack of regional data). That said, that site does indicate that there's a T-Mobile service tower pretty close to my house... so, that's a plus.
Old 02-14-2013, 8:06 AM

i've had T-mobile since 2001/02. i have 4 phones/lines on my contract (my phone, wifes phone and 2 for my parents).
great customer service and great company all around.
i have the unlimited data and calling plan (got it a few years ago when it was super cheap)...and my internet is fast as hell, so i dont agree with what a few others said.
fwiw, i did notice a HUGE difference in 4G speed once i switched from my BlackBerry to a Samsung Galaxy S3.

i would definitely recommend T-mobile.
AR's have finally become full blown "men's barbie dolls" now with fashion accessories.
Old 02-14-2013, 8:20 AM

I had T-mobile for years before switching to AT&T

Coverage was pretty good. There were a couple of dead spots here or there, but they have been fixed over the years (ATT finally upgraded their tower coverage after the iPhone got so popular. T-mobile uses ATTs network, or at least used to).

Customer service was great.

Before I switched (about 3 years ago) the customer service started to decline greatly. Part of the issue was T-mobile was going to be bought out at one point. I've still heard mixed things about CS since leaving from other people, though I still have family members on T-mobile and they are still happy overall.

I'd go on line and read some current reviews and see if the CS is back to the old standard or mixed. If CS is up to the old standard, I wouldn't hesitate to use T-mobile again, in terms of coverage and service in So Cal.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

I've been with T-Mobile since 2001. I have 4 lines (Me, wife, brother in law, and my mom). Some have data and some don't. Overall I've been pretty happy with them. Customer service has been pretty good compared to the others. I know cuz part of my day job requires me to handle our user's blackberries and I'm constantly calling one provider or another and overall from what I've experienced T-Mobile has the best customer service.

The 4G data is actually pretty quick. My wife's android has the service where it can double as a wifi hotspot and we've used it several time and work's pretty good.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I've had T-mobile for 7 years and no, the coverage isn't as good as Verizon.

However I pay $60 for two lines with all the voice, data and text we care to use (1000 minutes, 2GB.) That's including taxes and fees.

With the other big carriers I don't think I can get even a single line at that price.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
However I pay $60 for two lines with all the voice, data and text we care to use (1000 minutes, 2GB.) That's including taxes and fees.
What's this now? That's even better than the T-Mobile plan that I was looking at... but I can't seem to find a plan on their site that matches what you're describing.
Old 02-14-2013, 7:53 PM

You can't teach an old dog new tricks....Google Verizon vs T-Mobile...tmobile running on stone age GSM...4g lte is now the global standard...why buy old technology...I guarantee u if I did a speed test next to u with your tmo phone it would smoke ur Flintstones phone...vzw has the exclusive 700 MHz frequency and way less latency...theres more to a speed test than numbers....I guarantee u have tmo cuz u think u are saving money...

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcovich View Post
Not sure what ambiguous216 is talking about... I have the 4G unlimited from T-Mobile and 95% of the time run faster than 10 Mbps down and over 1.5 Mbps up... Last test I ran was 13.83 Mbps down and 1.83 Mbps up with a 74ms ping to the server. Seems pretty fast to me... Not sure what the Verizon average DL is.

My personal experience with T-Mobile has been pretty damn positive. Been with em for over 8 years and haven't had any customer service or phone service issues.
Old 02-14-2013, 7:53 PM
Bacon makes it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra View Post
What's this now? That's even better than the T-Mobile plan that I was looking at... but I can't seem to find a plan on their site that matches what you're describing.
Might be an old plan that they are grandfathered into.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-14-2013, 7:54 PM

Its a secret plan...be prepared for a new 2 yr contract extension when u change ur plan

[/B]
Quote:
Old 02-14-2013, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
Might be an old plan that they are grandfathered into.
Confirmed, that is the case. I sent him a PM about it.

Quote:
Its a secret plan...be prepared for a new 2 yr contract extension when u change ur plan
You keep talking about contract extensions when I have already noted that I want nothing to do with contracts and subsidized phones. The phone subsidization and service contract model that's employed in the US is just awful.

I find your insistence on continually promoting Verizon interesting, if somewhat sad. None of the major US cell phone carriers are worth the time and energy you're expending.
Old 02-14-2013, 8:43 PM

Petra Dish...You are entitled to your opinion...why start a thread ask for opinions and waste your time on bashing other members opinions? If u don't like the us model move on...buy prepay then...don't ask or post on this forum...no one is here to hurt u.

Quote:
Confirmed, that is the case. I sent him a PM about it.

You keep talking about contract extensions when I have already noted that I want nothing to do with contracts and subsidized phones. The phone subsidization and service contract model that's employed in the US is just awful.

I find your insistence on continually promoting Verizon interesting, if somewhat sad. None of the major US cell phone carriers are worth the time and energy you're expending.
Old 02-15-2013, 7:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

T Mobile was my carrier when I lived in SoCal for many years and is my carrier now here in the Bay Area. I have had good experiences with them.
Old 02-15-2013, 8:09 AM

Quote:
You can't teach an old dog new tricks....Google Verizon vs T-Mobile...tmobile running on stone age GSM...4g lte is now the global standard...why buy old technology...I guarantee u if I did a speed test next to u with your tmo phone it would smoke ur Flintstones phone...vzw has the exclusive 700 MHz frequency and way less latency...theres more to a speed test than numbers....I guarantee u have tmo cuz u think u are saving money...

[/B]
Some people would rather save the money than have absolutely the fastest down and upload speeds via cellular service. If it works well enough for "$X", why bother paying $Y for even faster service. Every person has different actual day to day needs for data services.

What's the big deal about that? And if you are not under contract, you can switch whenever you want anyway.
Old 02-15-2013, 8:29 AM

I have been with tmo for quite a while now, 7 or 8 years. I am in norcal, teh coverage on Verizon is far superior, but the pricing for tmo is much better.

I just grabbed a nuxus4, and it is exactly what I wanted. I love that phone, but it is not for everyone. Also, the nexus 4 does not have the capability to do 4gLTE except on soem very limited frequency. The 4g HPSA+ is more than enough for me, I average between 8 and 12Mbps.

TMO does not have 4GLTE (yet), they are working on rolling that out, but they are on the older HPSA. On the bright side, the version of LTE that they are going to be rolling out in the next year or two is compatible with the Nexus4, however by the time it actually rolls out to most of us, the nexus 5 or 6 will be out so there is that.

Pricing is fair, although it can be deceiving at times. Overall I don't have much in the way of complaints about them.
Old 02-15-2013, 9:41 AM
Calguns Addict

WiFi calling is a HUGE benefit to T-Mobile service, as if you are connected to WiFi... as a general rule... you can have service even behind 3 concrete walls like my office is. The drawback is that if in a WiFi-call, and you move out of range, you drop the call as it switches over back to Cell service. I was missing about 12 calls a day from my office with Sprint, and w/Verizon... well about 1/2 of that.

I have pretty good speeds with T-Mobile's 4g: 6709kbps down and 3016kbps upstream, just tested, and this is about AVG results I get when I test (outside of my office, of course )...
Old 02-15-2013, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

I like my T mo service. Especially with the new cheaper plans. Sure o free phone but hey I went from a little over $200 a month for my phones for family to a little over $120 and got truly unlimited service with no data limits. Works for me. Wife left T- mo went to sprint and already came back to T-mo. She was sold a 4G phone but they dont have 4G in our area. She was told by the end of last year it would be up ad running, Well its not so she left.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
WiFi calling is a HUGE benefit to T-Mobile service, as if you are connected to WiFi... as a general rule... you can have service even behind 3 concrete walls like my office is. The drawback is that if in a WiFi-call, and you move out of range, you drop the call as it switches over back to Cell service. I was missing about 12 calls a day from my office with Sprint, and w/Verizon... well about 1/2 of that.

I have pretty good speeds with T-Mobile's 4g: 6709kbps down and 3016kbps upstream, just tested, and this is about AVG results I get when I test (outside of my office, of course )...
WIFI calling is only available on T-Mobile branded cell phones last I checked; if this factors into anything.
Old 02-16-2013, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMan View Post
WIFI calling is only available on T-Mobile branded cell phones last I checked; if this factors into anything.
OTA and WiFi VoIP calling through GrooVe IP and Google Voice is what I'm looking at using to supplement the lack of minutes provided as part of the T-Mobile plans I'm considering.
Old 02-16-2013, 9:31 PM

Default tmo

I am east of you and my internet service sucks..making calls and texting works great ..I work in Barstow and my internet is worst there..the rep told me I get 2&3g Verizon seems to be hands down better..I use my data 24/7 & its slow cant wacth youtube vids here... cant wait till my contract is over to look for a new provider....
Old 02-17-2013, 7:12 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by only10x View Post
they told me that its because its not a tmobile phone so its missing certain 'antennas' :cough bs cough:
Was it an ATT branded Iphone?

I sold "the big 4" in the past. It's all dependent on location for service. If you live in a major metro, Tmo is great. If you travel, VZW. If you live in a rural area, IMO Att tends to have better voice service, but still crap data.

Again, it all matters where you live/use it.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
T-Mobiles HSPA+ network is plenty fast and doesn't drain your battery the way LTE does. Honestly the speed difference is negligible.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by only10x View Post
It's because AT&T uses a different HSDPA tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
SUCK! In Nor Cal, they are terrible. Poor reception, spotty service, bad call quality, and lots of dropped calls. I know this as my friends that have TMobile always have issues. On the plus side, they seem to still have a true unlimited plan compared to the big 2.
I've had them since I got an S3 through them last August. I use their service all over from Sacramento through all over El Dorado County. I only get dropped calls and bad reception in a few spots out in the boonies where nobody gets service. Some of their older phone have reception issues indoors but that is mitigated by using the free WiFi calling feature.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

Last edited by JDay; 02-17-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Old 02-17-2013, 2:35 PM

I switched to t-mobile from At&t after getting frustrated with customer service.
Here is what I found

You cant beat the price
Their Cust service is good
If you use anything bur a t-mobile phone service is useless(voice and data)
Data speed is much slower than At&t. Though t mobile is 4 g the speed is more like Edge.
Spotty service, when traveling.
T mobile comes with free roaming, meaning you can use other companies towers, but this is only if t-mobile has an agreement with that company for that particular area. In reality there are many places where there is no service with t-mobile and no roaming possibilities either. I was in Yosemite and lost service shortly after Mariposa, Ca.

I am still with them because of value.

Last edited by sanjm23; 02-17-2013 at 2:37 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

I have the 30 value one. I dont talk much, if i do i use my company phones. I get about 8-9Mbps download and about 5-6 upload. these with about 2-3 bars
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjm23 View Post
I switched to t-mobile from At&t after getting frustrated with customer service.
Here is what I found

You cant beat the price
Their Cust service is good
If you use anything bur a t-mobile phone service is useless(voice and data)
Data speed is much slower than At&t. Though t mobile is 4 g the speed is more like Edge.
Spotty service, when traveling.
T mobile comes with free roaming, meaning you can use other companies towers, but this is only if t-mobile has an agreement with that company for that particular area. In reality there are many places where there is no service with t-mobile and no roaming possibilities either. I was in Yosemite and lost service shortly after Mariposa, Ca.

I am still with them because of value.
T-Mobile is rolling out 1900mhz service. When it goes live in your area your AT&T branded phone will work just fine. You're getting Edge speeds right now because you ARE using Edge. They've been rolling this out for about a year now specifically so that AT&T iPhones will work on their network without sacrificing speed.

Old 02-18-2013, 8:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If your not in big city your connection will be horrible, I looked at their map and I was supposed to get a signal and it got even worse as time went on. So I cannot recommend them.

Also be aware that with tmobile if you change ANYTHING on your plan that automatically kicks in a contract renewal for two years.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.
― Thomas Jefferson

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Last edited by tuolumnejim; 02-18-2013 at 8:26 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 8:27 AM

Have had T Mobile for years and have no complaints. I get good reception everywhere I would expect to, even in the boonies. You can get great deals on phones at Costco.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuolumnejim View Post
If your not in big city your connection will be horrible, I looked at their map and I was supposed to get a signal and it got even worse as time went on. So I cannot recommend them.
I live up in the mountains and I get 4g everywhere. How long ago did you use them?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2