Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 04-17-2018, 9:15 AM

Default Project 1911ís for gunsmithing

Given that the 80% route for 1911 builds isnít on solid legal ground in CA, which of the common used or low cost 1911ís out there are good foundations for tinkering with?

Iíve seen recommendations for RIA and entry level Springfieldís, whatís worked well for those of you that like to play with these things?
Old 04-17-2018, 9:25 AM
👀Theyíre Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

I prefer Springfield, but if it’s goong to be one of your first couple projects, I might go RIA.

ETA: Many Smith’s will not work on RIA frames, so if you booger something beyond your ability, you’re kind of stuck.

Last edited by 9mmContagion; 04-17-2018 at 9:31 AM..
Old 04-17-2018, 9:29 AM

Iíve got a stainless Springfield gi that I donít shoot due to occasional hammer bite... my father gave it to me, so Iíd better practice on something else first.
Old 04-17-2018, 9:33 AM
👀Theyíre Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky c View Post
Iíve got a stainless Springfield gi that I donít shoot due to occasional hammer bite... my father gave it to me, so Iíd better practice on something else first.
That was the gun I built my first project on.. came out very nice! But I do have a minor machining background. Iím in the middle of two more customs on Springfield frames.

If it has sentimental value, Iíd get something else. If you donít have machining background, Iíd get a RIA to screw up
Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Gallery of guns shows a nearby retailer that will do RIA's for about $500 out the door. Might be a convenient route vis having to search out deals on used guns.

How come some smiths wont work on RIA frames?
Old 04-17-2018, 6:02 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Project 1911ís for gunsmithing

Quote:
Gallery of guns shows a nearby retailer that will do RIA's for about $500 out the door. Might be a convenient route vis having to search out deals on used guns.

There are a number of reasons but I find they are just out of spec enough they donít properly fit most of our fixtures that every other 1911 does fit.

Depending on what the work I will work on them but I donít recommend dropping a lot of money on them like you would other donor guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2018, 8:21 PM

I love my Springfield, but depending on the operations you want to try, be aware that if you get a parkerized model, any work you do on the visible parts of the frame or slide with be visible unless you are considering refinishing when you are done. Just something to consider.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM

You should probably give us more info about your "tinkering" ideas before asking for a recommendation. 1911's are not lego guns like AR15 or glock.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Just curious - what do people usually do when they screw up?

+1 on the RIA as base. Drop-ins may not necessarily mean drop in. Minor fitting is usually required.
Old 04-26-2018, 3:35 AM

Start Welding
Old 04-27-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
It really depends on the project, but if the customer doesn't have enough money to start with a decent frame, then you surely don't have the money to pay me what it would cost to bring it up to spec.

Essentially, starting with a good solid frame will allow you to spend your $ on upgrades instead of corrections.