Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 05-14-2018, 5:00 PM

Default Shop around Los Angeles that will do AR15 Free Float handguard conversion??

Hi,

I know this is a newbie question. but i would like to convert my AR15 hand guard to Free float style before i register my gun. Just want to see is there any shop or individual around SGV that will do the conversion? I know it might not be hard to do it, but if i need to buy all the tools to do the conversion, i think is better to just have someone help me do it. My gun is the M&P 15 Sport II, will a 15" hand guard too long? Since my Barrel is 16". Sorry for all the newbie question. But i do really like the Freefloat look, Since when i register the gun, i need to take picture, therefore, i assume i can't do any change after i send in the application. Some peoples might say go featureless, but i really dislike the look of featureless.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2018, 5:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

randall ar15
Old 05-14-2018, 5:55 PM

Why register? Don't do it!

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2018, 6:15 PM

Diy part of the fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 05-14-2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeandgunsandammo View Post
Why register? Don't do it!

Thank you for the info, i will go ahead and give them a call. As of the registration of the gun, i would say different person have different taste, I would say if i turn my gun the featureless, i will HATE my gun since i hate that handle SO MUCH (no offense to anyone who turn their gun the featureless). Also peoples said register your gun mean giving up your right, to be honest, i honestly doesn't feel that i got any right on my riffle as long as i stay in California. So register my gun will turn it to Assault Riffle, but at last my AR15 will always look like the AR15 that i LOVED when i first purchase it.
Old 05-14-2018, 8:06 PM

There are other devices that let you keep your rifle as is to be compliant. Everything is easyly reversable if the need ever arised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm725fm View Post
Thank you for the info, i will go ahead and give them a call. As of the registration of the gun, i would say different person have different taste, I would say if i turn my gun the featureless, i will HATE my gun since i hate that handle SO MUCH (no offense to anyone who turn their gun the featureless). Also peoples said register your gun mean giving up your right, to be honest, i honestly doesn't feel that i got any right on my riffle as long as i stay in California. So register my gun will turn it to Assault Riffle, but at last my AR15 will always look like the AR15 that i LOVED when i first purchase it.
Old 05-14-2018, 8:08 PM

Lots of info here
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...4&share_type=t

Old 05-14-2018, 11:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm725fm View Post
i would like to convert my AR15 hand guard to Free float style before i register my gun.
Just want to see is there any shop or individual around SGV that will do the conversion?
My gun is the M&P 15 Sport II, will a 15" hand guard too long? Since my Barrel is 16".
I do upper disassembly/reassembly to swap out parts while-you-wait.
Just get your new parts and then schedule a time to come over.
No problem to install a 15" handguard on your 16" barrel.
Besides the new handguard, you will also need a low profile gas block.
I do the necessary machining to switch over to a gas block from a fixed front sight.
I can also do all manner of machine work to customize the barrel should you prefer to cut your 16" barrel down to a 14.5" and then perm attach a muzzle device.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 05-15-2018, 6:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP, Randall, above, is the go to guy for gun work in SoCal and a go to for the rest of us for solid advice. We wish we had a resource of his quality up north.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home