Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-21-2013, 2:22 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpljbone View Post
Do they still require the 3 letters?
Reference letters not required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewcmr2 View Post
Anyone know the current Interview/livescan -> range date time frame?

I'm at 6 weeks of waiting for a call...
Keep calling. Appointments are being set for July as of early this week.

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old 03-25-2013, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewcmr2 View Post
Anyone know the current Interview/livescan -> range date time frame?

I'm at 6 weeks of waiting for a call...
90 days to the day after the interview to schedule the range class. And that was a month out from the phone call I got. Patience young grasshopper...
Old 03-25-2013, 7:46 AM

I currently live in Nevada where a CCW is given freely to anyone witha clean record and reasonable skill with a firearm. I am originally from PA and the laws are similar there.

However, I may be moving to San Bernadino County CA for work soon (and the fact that the wife's family lives there as well). Needless to say, I'm more than a bit concerned that I will not be able to get a permit in San Bernadino County. Currently, I carry everyday.

I have a clean record.
Discharged honorably from USMC.
My job requires travel through remote areas.
My job requires that I carry medicines worth $350 each x 20.
I do know some CA LEOs & Emergency Services people (not sure if that helps at all).

A lot of the info I can find through Google seems like it could be very outdated and often contradictory. Maps show San Bern as a "Will Issue" while a lot that I've read suggest that it may actually be a "Will Issue for Good Cause." I'm not sure if my employment would justify good cause or not.

Anyone with experience in getting their CCW in San Bern able to give me current year info or advice? I know laws can change year to year, Sherriff to Sherriff.

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-25-2013, 8:24 AM
CGSSA Associate

SB County is still pretty much "shall issue". The new sheriff has made some changes. Reference letters used to be required, but aren't now. The wait time seems to have been reduced as well (though still a long process). The biggest obstacle for you may be residency. Rumor has it that SBSO requires 1 year prior residency before you apply.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:09 AM

Tas- you might have an issue with using your ccw for your employer. The back of the cards say "Not to be used for employment purposes"

Now if you are self employed, I believe that's different. My company prohibits firearms on property and in company vehicles, so I'm stuck carrying outside of work only.

Just have a good reason other than employment, and go through the process. Call and check the residency requirements though.
Old 03-25-2013, 9:11 AM

Thanks Jay.

I've heard the 1 year residency requirement on two forums now. Sounds likely. I've also been told that approximate times are around 5 months so I'm probably looking at 1 1/2 years after a move...ugh. I suppose it's still better than many counties.

I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of the 3 firearm limit on the permit. Seems rather illogical. I'm guessing the reasoning has to do with familiarity of the platform?

One more question: If I bring in sidearms (10 rounds or less capacity) that aren't on the CA approved list, I've heard I can still carry these weapons once licensed & that the CA approved list only applies to what may be sold in the state of CA. Can anyone verify?

Last edited by tas237; 03-25-2013 at 9:13 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikedentx View Post
Just have a good reason other than employment, and go through the process.

Self defense is the only reason you need but apparently you have to expound. You cannot just write down "self defense".
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas237 View Post
Thanks Jay.

I've heard the 1 year residency requirement on two forums now. Sounds likely. I've also been told that approximate times are around 5 months so I'm probably looking at 1 1/2 years after a move...ugh. I suppose it's still better than many counties.

I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of the 3 firearm limit on the permit. Seems rather illogical. I'm guessing the reasoning has to do with familiarity of the platform?

One more question: If I bring in sidearms (10 rounds or less capacity) that aren't on the CA approved list, I've heard I can still carry these weapons once licensed & that the CA approved list only applies to what may be sold in the state of CA. Can anyone verify?
There isn't any restriction (as far as the law is concerned) with the number of guns you can carry. The application has room for 3, but it also says to "use additional pages if necessary". The restriction is put in place by the issuing agency for some reason. If you have any questions that you can't find a satisfactory answer to, Joyce over at the SBSO (909-387-3750) has been very helpful.

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old 03-26-2013, 2:56 PM

Just finished my interview...now the real waiting begins. Was told that personal defense on its own was no longer acceptable. You must elaborate why you need a ccw license. They also said I could expect a call in 3 months for my range class.
Old 03-26-2013, 4:59 PM

My bf recently had his interview and they were really impressed with the certificate he got from TASC, so if you have any from training classes you've taken, bring them along with you.
Old 03-26-2013, 6:14 PM

I picked up my packet which consists of:

1. white section (1 page) - notarized authorization to release information
2. yellow section (2 page) - pre-background interview form (yes/no check off)
3. green section (25 page) - SBSD/DOJ application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaholic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo8 View Post
Can anyone confirm about the 4 references and the additional questionaire at interview time?
4 references are no longer needed and the additional questionaire is a check off yes/no sheet

My packet still has a section (G.) asking for 4 persons to give current or past information about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpljbone View Post
Do they still require the 3 letters?
Reference letters not required.

My packet still has a section (F.) asking for 3 letters of character reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmir02 View Post
Was told that personal defense on its own was no longer acceptable. You must elaborate why you need a ccw license.

Can anyone who has recently received their CCW elaborate on what kind of statement is acceptable and what to do regarding the 3 letters and 4 names?
Old 04-02-2013, 6:30 PM

I had my interview in early February and neither the 4 recurrences nor the the 3 reference letters were required.
Old 04-02-2013, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas237 View Post
Bureaucratic laziness. There are three lines on the form so that becomes the defacto limit. There is no legal restriction on the number or type of handguns you carry.
Old 04-03-2013, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylenol9999 View Post
I had my interview in early February and neither the 4 recurrences nor the the 3 reference letters were required.

Did you leave the sections blank?
Old 04-03-2013, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 451040 View Post
Did you leave the sections blank?
Yes, I was told to not worry about these sections and they crossed them out at my interview.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylenol9999 View Post
Yes, I was told to not worry about these sections and they crossed them out at my interview.

Thanks for the clarification, sir.
Old 04-04-2013, 3:31 PM

Anybody had to go through Fontana PD before going to SB Sheriff? Their application has a requirement for three letters of character reference. Is this still required?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branden.w View Post
Anybody had to go through Fontana PD before going to SB Sheriff? Their application has a requirement for three letters of character reference. Is this still required?
I had to get a letter of denial from Fontana PD. I dont remember the exact numbers but I had to give them 2 or 3 checks and 2 passports photos. They sent everything back with the letter in about 30 days.
Old 04-21-2013, 8:20 PM

Hey guys, I'm finally going to apply for my CCW permit, and I have a couple of questions.

1) Regarding "good cause" as far as personal protection goes, would it be a good idea to include a home invasion that happened to me last year?

2) I am self-employed and usually travel with fairly large amounts of cash on my person. How would/should I go about proving that to them?

3) I'm not very clear on the residency requirements. I've lived in SB Co for over 10 years, but I do not have an official rent/lease agreement as I still live with my parents. Will this be a problem?

4)Last but not least, I have long hair and it is usually in braids. I does not look crazy or sloppy IMHO. My question is, will I be judged on my appearance?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys for everything you do!
Old 04-21-2013, 9:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_memo View Post
Hey guys, I'm finally going to apply for my CCW permit, and I have a couple of questions.

1) Regarding "good cause" as far as personal protection goes, would it be a good idea to include a home invasion that happened to me last year?

2) I am self-employed and usually travel with fairly large amounts of cash on my person. How would/should I go about proving that to them?

3) I'm not very clear on the residency requirements. I've lived in SB Co for over 10 years, but I do not have an official rent/lease agreement as I still live with my parents. Will this be a problem?

4)Last but not least, I have long hair and it is usually in braids. I does not look crazy or sloppy IMHO. My question is, will I be judged on my appearance?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys for everything you do!
1) A home invasion robbery wouldnt have any relevance to carry licensing unless you could make a connection between being victimized by the assailants while away from your home (where it is lawful for you to be armed without a license).

2 + 3) It is a crime to lie on the application. PC26180(a) And no other forms or documentation may be required of carry license applicants. PC26175(g)

So, where does that put us in proving residency? I think it depends on an applicants willingness to accept some risk. If you want to follow their unlawful demands, you could have a letter drafted by your parents indicating that is where you reside- or provide some other bill with your name and address on it. But you are not legally bound to supply any of that under the statute.

4) Issuing agencies need something more substantial than appearance to deny someone a license to carry- Specifically- 1) good cause, 2) good moral character and 3) residency. If you were denied on the basis of what you looked like, it would without any doubt, be an epic lawsuit.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-21-2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
I had to get a letter of denial from Fontana PD. I dont remember the exact numbers but I had to give them 2 or 3 checks and 2 passports photos. They sent everything back with the letter in about 30 days.
PM sent
Old 04-21-2013, 10:17 PM

15 day's left on my 90 day wait post interview, keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have an interview scheduled for May, but my wife and I now plan to move out of SB county in July 2014. I'm trying to weight the cost and time invested with the benefit.

1) How long after your interview is the process until you have the permit in hand and you're able to carry?

2) What other costs are required to obtain your permit beyond the 2 money orders? ($108, $29)

3) Would you continue to apply knowing you're moving in a year?

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 04-22-2013, 1:45 AM

Thank you very much for the input!

1) What about examples of violent crimes in my neighborhood? There has been a rise in shootings and robberies over the past year.

2) I don't understand. Are you saying I'm lying about the cash thing? I buy and sell cars for a living (requiring me to transport sizeable amounts of cash), thus my question. What I meant to ask is, how they would follow up on that. (Seeing as I'm my own boss.)

4) I know that legally, on paper they can't do it. But I meant it in more of person to person kind of way. (What they "do" and what they actually do.) They probably won't tell you that you were denied because of your appearance, but they do deny/approve at their discretion right? Do you honestly feel they would not base any judgment on one's appearance whatsoever?

Last edited by crazy_memo; 04-22-2013 at 1:50 AM..
Old 04-22-2013, 6:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_memo View Post
Thank you very much for the input!

1) What about examples of violent crimes in my neighborhood? There has been a rise in shootings and robberies over the past year.

2) I don't understand. Are you saying I'm lying about the cash thing? I buy and sell cars for a living (requiring me to transport sizeable amounts of cash), thus my question. What I meant to ask is, how they would follow up on that. (Seeing as I'm my own boss.)

4) I know that legally, on paper they can't do it. But I meant it in more of person to person kind of way. (What they "do" and what they actually do.) They probably won't tell you that you were denied because of your appearance, but they do deny/approve at their discretion right? Do you honestly feel they would not base any judgment on one's appearance whatsoever?
I'm not completely familiar with SBSO's acceptable good cause statements. In my view, detailing an account of a home invasion may not help good cause as you are able to carry a loaded weapon however you like inside your home. I would recommend examining other sucessful applicants good cause and emulating their statement.

I am not calling you a liar, but if any issuing agency requires anything other than the application and initial portion of the fees, they are essentially investigating the potential of a crime when you filled out your application.

What you say on the application must be true under penalty of law. This puts the burden of proving any of the statements are false upon those investigating your background.

You still have 4th amendment rights and have the right to be secure in all your papers and effects- and you still possess 5th amendment rights in this regard, and cannot be compelled to self-incriminate. So one can, for the sake of expediancy, surrender whatever documentation the S/O wants to prove their innocence to obtain their license or assert the S/O is making unlawful demands and treat the issuing agency as hostile to your rights by refusing consent to the seizure of your papers and assert your right to remain silent.

An issuing agency may deny an application for any reason they like... as long as it is for good cause, good moral character, or residency. Their discretion, even under statute, is not unlimited. What is more, is that with SB610, the agency is required to provide a reason from their policy they denied you in the written notification. So, if they denied you for having long hair, or tattoos, or brown skin, they certainly wouldnt be able to say so- but they would have to articulate a reason stemming from good cause, good moral character or residency and be able to back up their contentions in court.

Bear in mind, I am not an attorney and I am not offering legal advice- just being informative.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-22-2013, 6:53 AM

Can someone who's gone through recently with the expanded good cause requirement PM me? I'd like a proof read of my statement for my upcoming interview or better yet a brief summary of yours to make sure I have the required content.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIFFPAUL View Post
The election is in 2014. I am running for sheriff in San Bernardino County. I will have a shall issue policy. Those who are felons, mentally ill and gangsters need not apply. San Bernardino County has 2,800 active CCW permits. During Hoops term from June 2010 to June 2012 he has denied/revoked 149 permits and issued 469 new permits. I hope to make us the leader in California regarding your 2nd Amendment rights. www.sheriffpaul2014.com
I'm surprised no one commented on this post. Anyone know anything further about Sheriff Paul??
Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERIFFPAUL View Post
The election is in 2014. I am running for sheriff in San Bernardino County. I will have a shall issue policy. Those who are felons, mentally ill and gangsters need not apply. San Bernardino County has 2,800 active CCW permits. During Hoops term from June 2010 to June 2012 he has denied/revoked 149 permits and issued 469 new permits. I hope to make us the leader in California regarding your 2nd Amendment rights. www.sheriffpaul2014.com
Awesome, I follow his newsletters. Hopefully he gets elected.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM

I just called the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department and they told me that the 4 references are still required but the 3 reference letters are not. Also "Personal Protection/Self Defense" are not accepted by themselves. You have to articulate why you feel you need to protect yourself.
Old 04-26-2013, 4:37 PM

Any one who recently went through the process could please pm me what they used as good cause. I am getting ready to apply and want a smooth process. Thank in advance. Or if you can elaborate on my good cause, I can pm it to you.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiran View Post
I just called the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department and they told me that the 4 references are still required but the 3 reference letters are not. Also "Personal Protection/Self Defense" are not accepted by themselves. You have to articulate why you feel you need to protect yourself.
This is interesting, as I was told to not include either the 3 reference letters or the 4 references. Before my interview the interviewing officer crossed these sections out and told me not to worry about, most likely as I am getting denied . 10 more days in the 90 day waiting period, so I will know fairly soon.
Old 04-27-2013, 7:45 PM

Before your interview the "interviewing officer" told you not to worry about it? Was this just before going in for your actual interview? Why do you think you wil be denied? Did you withhold something that they caught? Just curious why so negative.
Old 04-27-2013, 7:52 PM

My interview was on 3-12 and I only had 3 references and she was a little bothered by that ( I don't have many long term references other than family)but she said ok. Its the actual letters that are not required any more. The investigators interviewed my neighbors about 2 weeks ago.
Old 04-27-2013, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Can anyone confirm how long after your interview you receive your permit?

Also how much does the class cost?

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 04-27-2013, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlblkrfl View Post
Before your interview the "interviewing officer" told you not to worry about it? Was this just before going in for your actual interview? Why do you think you wil be denied? Did you withhold something that they caught? Just curious why so negative.
Yes, I came to drop off my packet and I was told to not worry about the 3 letters and the 4 references. My bad, I have a dry sense of humor. I did not withhold any info, the interview went pretty well in my opinion.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 PM

Cool. Just wondering if you had a bad feeling about it or what. Kinda crappy that they just leave us hanging out to dry for weeks on end.
Old 04-28-2013, 6:31 AM

How was the group interview they did?
Old 04-28-2013, 2:55 PM

Not a group interview. It is one on one. It was like 4 or 5 seperate interviews at a time in a big meeting room. They basically just go over your packet with you and ask if yoy have any questions. 10-15 minutes. Then off to live scan, another 10 minutes.
Old 04-29-2013, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post

90 days till a phone call to set up the class, 45 days till the class, and 35ish days from the class till the license comes in the mail.
Old 04-29-2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post

Much different than above but they were thin on staffing when I went through it.

Dec- picked up packet and scheduled interview
July- interview
Nov- called for class
Dec- class
Jan- card