Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question As a female, do you find when you go to the range...

Do you find that when you go to a range guys look at you like, "wtf is she doing here?!"? Have you ever had anything said or done to you by guys at the range just because you're a female shooter?

What sort of gender based treatment have you experienced?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 AM

From a male point of view, male shooters are enthusiastic about female shooters. I think the "wtf is she doing here?!", is more like "dude, thats hot that she shoots"

The point is female shooters are openly welcome. Us male AND female shooters need as many shooters as we can get. The change of scenery is nice too
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM

I'm a male shooter and I don't treat girls shooters any different then male shooters, Actually I've never treated a girl different then my guys friends. I'm there at the range to shoot my guns. Honestly don't really matter to me who's there. Girls or guys. Girls have been shooting guns for a long time so I don't see why some guys get all excited when a girl goes shooting. I mean I can't seem to get my g/f to go with me, but it doesn't bug me, but I bug her about it haha. Just stating my opinion. I mean who ever is at the range is there to shoot there guns.

An example, I went to the shooting range here in Bako, and there was a girl shooting on the bench next to me, and I liked how her rifle looked, It was a Winchester model 70, just like the one I have, I went to talk to her about it, but I didn't realize until then it was a girl and she asked me if I was surprised or shocked that a girl was shooting and I said no, then she told me, "your a first". I told her "no offense but the rifle caught my attention, didn't even notice your were female" so we talked about how she got the rifle and mine then went back to shooting.

http://m1family.com
M1 Carbine Dedicated forum.

Last edited by NaughtyMonkey; 12-18-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've had a mixture of both in the past. At a public range, I suppose the guys who don't know me see me as an oddity. I'm sure they wonder if I know what I'm doing and are waiting for something stupid to happen -- on my part. I get that while I'm out fishing too, so it's nothing new.

BUT, as soon as they see it's not plinking, the attitudes begin to change to a more positive note. Naturally, there will always be one ignorant person in the group who will choose to behave like a jerk, so I've also learned to grow a thick skin. Some men are insecure and are just crabby.

It's ok... I'm out there to practice and don't expect everyone to be my buddy. As long as they're civil, it's all good.

Now, at matches, I don't feel like a freak at the circus. The guys are supportive, good-humored, and very social. Besides, I supply all the donuts, so they have to be nice to me or I'll cut them off!
Old 12-18-2009, 2:19 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I know that I tend to see other shooters in terms of experience/skill rather than gender. I am happy to offer input or advice (be they male or female), but only if it is obvious that they would welcome it. If I'm not sure, I keep to myself because I find it rude to assert that "I know more you and must correct what you are doing wrong."

Safety is the only exception, though. If they're being unsafe, I'll stop them immediately.

I have heard from female shooters that many hate it when a male shooter not only feels the need to "correct" her technique, but also thinks it appropriate to touch her without permission while doing it.
Old 12-18-2009, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyMonkey View Post

I went to talk to her about it, but I didn't realize until then it was a girl and she asked me if I was surprised or shocked that a girl was shooting got the rifle and mine then went back to shooting.
You need your eyes checked. I'm sorry, I would never miss if a babe was shooting next to me. The first thing I do when I shoot is look at the caliber (no pun) of people around me. I don't want to spend my afternoon next to some soldier of fortune wacko, or gansta's doing a gun check for tonight's drive by entertainment. I also look at what guns they are shooting and how they handle them (male or female). There have be more than a few times where I have never fired a shot and left due to the type of people and the way they were handling guns.

For sure I would notice a woman, mainly since you just don't see it too often.

Last edited by joepamjohn; 12-18-2009 at 2:46 PM..
Old 12-18-2009, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspen003 View Post
From a male point of view, male shooters are enthusiastic about female shooters. I think the "wtf is she doing here?!", is more like "dude, thats hot that she shoots"

The point is female shooters are openly welcome. Us male AND female shooters need as many shooters as we can get. The change of scenery is nice too

Werd!

NRA Life Member
Old 12-18-2009, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepamjohn View Post
You need your eyes checked. I'm sorry, I would never miss if a babe was shooting next to me. The first thing I do when I shoot is look at the caliber (no pun) of people around me. I don't want to spend my afternoon next to some soldier of fortune wacko, or gansta's doing a gun check for tonight's drive by entertainment. I also look at what guns they are shooting and how they handle them (male or female). There have be more than a few times where I have never fired a shot and left due to the type of people and the way they were handling guns.

For sure I would notice a woman, mainly since you just don't see it too often.

Well I usually go to the benches off to the sides where nobody is at, and I don't go stare at who's shooting, I'm there to shoot my guns not check out the people using them. I don't care who's next to me usually, but thats just me. Also don't really care what there shooting, I just happened to notice the rifle she was using, and she had a hat on and short hair, so it was a bit difficult to tell it was a woman.

Old 12-18-2009, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hell, I'll be honest. I treat female shooters differently because, they usually know how to shoot better than most guys. If I'm at a match, chances are that most of the female shooters will outshoot me. I even had one do it using my rifle and ammo with only a few hours to get used to the gun! OK, I shot better groups but, she shot a better score. Yea, women shooters scare me because, they (as a whole) are capable of dominating all types of shooting venues.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-18-2009, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

The "Wtf is she doing here" look is more like "damn" why cant my chick be in to guns like her, sigh" lol
Old 12-18-2009, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

the only girls i say "wtf is she doing here?" to are the ones sitting in the car complaining about the noise, or sitting on the bench doing their fingernails. Oh i've seen it plenty too!! they usually come with D-bag guys who cover just about everyone at the range with their muzzle at one point or another, and will shoot when you're down a "cleared" range.

Any other lady who happens to be engaged in shooting.....that's just hot! I'll admit i get a little....when my wife unloads a mag ...women seem to grasp the technical aspect of shooting too since it's objective based. do this, then that, and this will be the result. That's something i found most women tend to like! (it also helps if you give them a pink gun or a shiny one j/k)

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 12-18-2009, 9:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You'll only get discouragement by idiots who have something to prove. Just outshoot them and they'll shut their pie hole real quick. I hate it when guys put down any woman who is out there at the range for any reason be it not wanting to shoot a 300 win mag because it hurts or just not grouping well because its her first time out there. I have seen guys shut down pretty quick by women because they have nothing to prove a lot of the time and when they shoot well, the instigator just walks away with his tail between his legs.
Old 12-18-2009, 9:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you ladies for answering

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Thank you ladies for answering
lol

One day at the range this past summer an off-duty cop gave me some of his departmental ammo (hollow points too!). He even let me fire one of his pistols. Didn't feel disrespected by his attention at all.

On another occasion another shooter (who I'd met late last year and hadn't seen since) found out I'd brought the right ammo but the wrong pistol to the range. So he handed me his 1911 and said, Here. Shoot this.

Two Sundays ago another shooter gave me a bunch of his .45 ammo. He'd reloaded them himself and the ammo was of two different grains. (Just moments before he'd disassembled my S&W 1911 to determine if something was amiss.) Then we went over to the action pistols range (my first time there!), where he gave me a free firearms lesson and then let me shoot some of his ammo (that he had in his bag). I felt real special that day, if you know what I mean.

This past year I shot a lot of pistols and rifles belonging to guys I didn't know. For sure, their friendliness, generosity and firearms knowledge just bowled me over. Men like these guys truly demonstrate the firearms enthusiast ideal and spirit. If only I could be as generous and sharing as they.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 12-19-2009, 9:08 AM

I think it's great to see the women folk at the range, you'd never get a negative remark from me.
Old 12-19-2009, 9:10 AM

Quote:

ditto that, we are just checking you out!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by masameet View Post

This past year I shot a lot of pistols and rifles belonging to guys I didn't know. For sure, their friendliness, generosity and firearms knowledge just bowled me over. Men like these guys truly demonstrate the firearms enthusiast ideal and spirit. If only I could be as generous and sharing as they.
LOL. I've got pictures to prove a small portion of it. Well, you did know the owner of the AR50 but, you hadn't met me before firing my 1919 and whatever else you ended up shooting that weekend. Gotta hand it to you, you showed up not knowing a sole at the range and spent the next three days there feeling like you were with family (at least, I hope that's how you felt). If you come down this June, you can shoot th AK pistol I built and the MAC I'm buying. After that, you'll ant to go back to a 1911 that you can actualy hit what you are aiming at. BTW, be careful accepting and/or shooting other's reloads. You are really trusting that person with your safety. Just keep that in mind.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

KM6WLV
Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

My girlfriend says YES!

one of the more annoying things that happened at the range.

RSO: what are we going to about her shooting?

Me: what do you mean?

RSO: she doesn't have control of the gun

Me: how does she not have control of the gun?

RSO: The muzzle goes too high after recoil.

I'm starting to get pissed now

Me: you mean as high as the guy shooting the mag down the line?

RSO: Well no but...

Me: all her shots are in the 10 ring how does she not have control?

RSO: Well I... um... well

Then he walks away. No RSO has ever said anything about her shooting other than to make fun of me b/c shes a better shot.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
My girlfriend says YES!

one of the more annoying things that happened at the range.

RSO: what are we going to about her shooting?

Me: what do you mean?

RSO: she doesn't have control of the gun

Me: how does she not have control of the gun?

RSO: The muzzle goes too high after recoil.

I'm starting to get pissed now

Me: you mean as high as the guy shooting the mag down the line?

RSO: Well no but...

Me: all her shots are in the 10 ring how does she not have control?

RSO: Well I... um... well

Then he walks away. No RSO has ever said anything about her shooting other than to make fun of me b/c shes a better shot.

What a prick. I bet he was just jealous of her ability! So, out the range and, if you can, the RO. We should know where not to go.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

I don't want to say the range b/c all the other RSOs are really nice and helpful.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Camp Parks Ca, Ft McCoy Ft Bragg, Ft Knox, Harvey Point

bleh, male, female, trans-g, who cares as long as they are into the sport?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

When I take my lady she usually doesn't get treated any different but shes usually with me. Although last time we went there were a bunch of inbred hillbillies being perverts, I was at the truck getting my staple gun and she said one of the guys made a comment to her about her a**. I came back she told me and I told the guy to get his eyes of my ladies A** and to keep em on his target. After we left she said they made her feel really uncomfortable and she doesn't want to return to that range. I told her "well you do have a nice A**" Haha but I explained to her that most the guys I shoot with or are serious about the sport are respectable men. I mean you can't help but stare at a beautiful woman sometimes but eyef****** her and making comments just ruined her range experience. I don't like that range anyways they run you're Drivers License everytime and put it in a damn computer and from the times I have been there It doesn't seem like that range attracts a good crowd.
Old 12-19-2009, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Do guys ever offer to buy ammo?
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 12-19-2009, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post

Feel the same way. Don't matter to me who's shooting, as long as there enjoying it and having fun and not complaining. lol.

Old 12-19-2009, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
she said one of the guys made a comment to her about her a**.
This is why Clorox needs to be introduced into some gene pools.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMama View Post
Do you find that when you go to a range guys look at you like, "wtf is she doing here?!"? Have you ever had anything said or done to you by guys at the range just because you're a female shooter?

What sort of gender based treatment have you experienced?
If anything, I'm glad to see female shooters at the range.
Most of the time, They have a huge grin too!
Its good to know that not all of them think guns are evil and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
We all know your into them, its ok.
We support your decisions
Old 12-20-2009, 5:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Never said that, when I see a woman at the range. But I do get that "wtf is he doing here?!" feeling when I go into Joanne's(a sewing/craft store). Feel's like I just invaded a country.

Brad
Old 12-20-2009, 6:57 AM

Quote:

+10 for female shooters

WTS:

WTB:
Old 12-20-2009, 7:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Funny you mention that, I always feel very out of place in Victoria Secret, and can't wait to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smird View Post
Never said that, when I see a woman at the range. But I do get that "wtf is he doing here?!" feeling when I go into Joanne's(a sewing/craft store). Feel's like I just invaded a country.

Brad
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

lol, Well, I guess I sort of got my answer. It's good to know that it seems that guys are willing to be open to females entering this arena. It's a little disheartening that there aren't more on Calguns, however!

Thanks to all who answered!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

I love the fact my lady enjoys shooting and hunting it just means more time we can spend together doing something WE BOTH like. It truly is a hard thing to find in a companion. While it is not her favorite hobby but every once and awhile shes glad to hit the range with me.
Old 12-21-2009, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

Well, of course there's going to be some typical "guy behavior" of checking out the female types... and I do not doubt for one minute that the reverse isn't also true... no matter where you go.

That being said, I'm going to be initially more concerned with the handling skills of someone I'm shooting with or next to than anything else. Why? Simple. I don't want to get shot...

When I do go to the range, I'm more than happy to "share my sport". I might have my Garand or my Higgins .22 or my 1911 or my Glock 23 or... whatever else with me. If someone wants to put a couple rounds downrange, I'll usually be more than happy to let them! The reason is that perhaps whatever they're shooting isn't right for them or whatever I'm shooting is different enough that it'll widen their experience base or perhaps remember what it was like to shoot that kind of gun, or whatever!

Male or Female... shooting is a fun sport! Now if I could only get my wife to agree...
Old 12-21-2009, 9:33 AM
CGSSA Associate

I have noticed that the older guys who typically go to the outdoor ranges are a bit friendlier then the younger guys I typically see in the indoor ranges. They will normally come over and offer assitance or pointers (I always allow them to do so and say thank you) they are also very excited for me to try their guns most of the time and love to get positive feedback.

They just stare at what I am shooting but don't really say anything and take up way more bench space then they should. They don't move there stuff over or anything for new shooters and force me to put my stuff on a bench far away. Thats more of a lack of home training then a male/ female thing.
Old 12-21-2009, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
The "Wtf is she doing here" look is more like "damn" why cant my chick be in to guns like her, sigh" lol
You said it!
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 12-21-2009, 10:08 AM

I think ooh thats cool, but then again none of them are my age and I don't find any of them attractive.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:32 AM

As a girl, and a new shooter. I always feel like a complete idiot. Any advice or encouragement from any more experienced shooter is welcome.

As long it's not blatantly obnoxious. ;-)
Dispute, and conquer, if I would ;
Which I abstain to do,
For by to-morrow I may think so too."
John Donne
Old 12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
As a girl, and a new shooter. I always feel like a complete idiot. Any advice or encouragement from any more experienced shooter is welcome.

Like the previous posts, the best thing to do is be safe. Don't feel like an idiot because we all had to start somewhere.

But yes, some people come on a little strong even when they're trying to be helpful. I draw the line when a guy demands that I shoot a particular gun just because he says so. Boy, does he have an education coming!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM

I'm in the moo-moo/beldame class of women shooters; range masters and male shooters see me coming and think, "Hey, I wish MY grandma was into shotguns!" (No one has ever been discourteous to me, and usually there are other -much younger- women shooting when I go to the range. They may hear/put up with all sorts of guff I haven't had to deal with for years.)
Old 12-21-2009, 12:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post

What part of Cali are you from? lol, I'm hoping to find someone near Sac who could go shooting with me! It seems there are no other women nearby.

And by the way, I know EXACTLY what you mean about feeling like an idiot. Over time it's gotten easier, but at first I felt like I had NO clue what I was doing! lol, mainly because I didn't! Thank goodness for good instructors! (9mmepiphany is a godsend!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Testicles of steel, bladder of titanium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Sacramento Community Chapter Social Group... Join Here!

Last edited by NorCalMama; 12-21-2009 at 12:04 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I take my wife shooting occasionally and now my 15 year-old daughter. I think they both get treated very well. Maybe the fact they're with me somehow changes things.
I love to ask the guys who bring daughters or even younger girlfriends what types of guns the younger ladies prefer. I like to let my daughter try different things, as long as she enjoys it.
I never offer advice to anyone unless they have first asked me a question. I than try to respond 'kindly', not with attitude or ego. I usually joke by telling them free advice is usually worth what you pay for it ;-).
I truly hope you ladies all feel very welcome at any range. I want to see as many of you as possible learning to shoot well.
Thanks for letting me interject.