Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 08-04-2017, 8:16 AM

Quick question for those of you that have purchased a throw lever. Which fastener did you use?

1. the long allen head
2. the short allen head
3. the phillips head

and why?
Old 08-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

One of the allens. Not sure which one. I just grabbed the first one that I saw LOL. It might've been the shorter one as I don't recall anything sticking out.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 08-06-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89LT1 View Post
Quick question for those of you that have purchased a throw lever. Which fastener did you use?

1. the long allen head
2. the short allen head
3. the phillips head

and why?
I used the one that fit best, the long allen IIRC.
Old 08-27-2017, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

Am I too late for this ? oh what the hell , PM send .
Old 08-27-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:

1. the long allen head
2. the short allen head
3. the phillips head

and why?
It's been a while since you posted your question. But if you're still interested in knowing, I used the long allen head screw. The shorter screws (both phillips and allen) were too short to use. They weren't even long enough to reach the threads. This is on the 1-8x scope and may not be the same for the 1-6x. Someone else will have to chime in on that particular scope.

As for allen head or phillips head preference, I prefer the allen head. The phillips head tends to get gouged up and/or strip out easier than the allen head. Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2017, 5:27 PM

I'm looking to make more of these levers for different scope. Any one have a strike eagle or any other vortex scope they want a lever and willing to let me borrow it? Or at least meet up and measure and then test fit a little bit later?
Old 09-18-2017, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

Any chance for SWFA lines ? vortex would be nice too . im sure there are lot of vortex owners here
Old 09-18-2017, 6:14 PM

I'd be all over one for a 1-6 strike eagle... But I'm in Alaska now and can't get it to you for eval.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 6:37 PM

I've had a few requests for an swfa, not as many as for the strike eagle. It all depends on what I can get my hands on
Old 09-18-2017, 6:50 PM
WooHoo! Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm looking to make more of these levers for different scope. Any one have a strike eagle or any other vortex scope they want a lever and willing to let me borrow it? Or at least meet up and measure and then test fit a little bit later?
I was going to get one of your levers for a PA I was going to buy, but I decided to go with Vortex instead. I have two Vortex crossfires, a 4-12 and a 6-18. If you want to check them out I'm willing to meet somewhere local, send me a pm.

John
And in all fairness, just because JMB did it doesn't mean anything. He'd have won WWII with a soup can, a fork, and a couple rocks. Seriously, even McGuyver and Steven Hawking get together every now and then and are like "How the **** did he do that?..."
Old 09-18-2017, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've had a few requests for an swfa, not as many as for the strike eagle. It all depends on what I can get my hands on
hopefully more swfa owners will step up . I have one in hand so let me know . I visit family member in rancho so we can meet up .

one thing I noticed in swfa scope .. the magnification ring is kinda taper . not sure if that'll be a problem . they sell aftermarket throw lever for it , so I assume its doable ?

Last edited by G38xOC; 09-18-2017 at 7:05 PM..
Old 10-25-2017, 3:23 PM

Location: Buckeye Arizona. Formerly of Redding, Shasta County
Default 1-8x24 throw lever Gen I

Hello everyone. I ordered some of the first throw levers for the 1-8x24 PA scope way back in February 2017 even though I didn't have a 1-8 scope yet. As soon as they were ready to sell and ship, so basically they were the first GEN levers. The inside of these levers are bare flat, smooth metal without a finish, while the outside is finished in a black anodized coating.

Now I just ordered one of the PA 1-8x24 scopes so I came back to revisit this thread and see how they are working. While reading the prior comments that I have missed I noticed that there is now a Gen II version of this throw lever. So I have to ask if there was a problem with the old version that I bought and haven't even used yet?

Carl
Redding CA. Shasta County, NorCal
Old 10-27-2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweed02 View Post
Hello everyone. I ordered some of the first throw levers for the 1-8x24 PA scope way back in February 2017 even though I didn't have a 1-8 scope yet. As soon as they were ready to sell and ship, so basically they were the first GEN levers. The inside of these levers are bare flat, smooth metal without a finish, while the outside is finished in a black anodized coating.

Now I just ordered one of the PA 1-8x24 scopes so I came back to revisit this thread and see how they are working. While reading the prior comments that I have missed I noticed that there is now a Gen II version of this throw lever. So I have to ask if there was a problem with the old version that I bought and haven't even used yet?
Hey Seaweed

The issue with Version I levers is that they did not fit the newly released gen 3 primary arms 1-6 scopes and the gen 2 1-8 scopes. The bumps on the inside of the levers were slightly off on the new scopes and wouldn't allow the levers to fully engage. In order to make the levers work i turned the inside and removed the bumps. The large lug and the fit of the lever still gave a positive engagement.

The Version II lever now only have 2 internal bumps and fit all the primary arms 1-6 and 1-8 scopes.
Old 10-27-2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G38xOC View Post
hopefully more swfa owners will step up . I have one in hand so let me know . I visit family member in rancho so we can meet up.

one thing I noticed in swfa scope .. the magnification ring is kinda taper . not sure if that'll be a problem . they sell aftermarket throw lever for it , so I assume its doable ?
They make more than one kind of scope, and not all SWFA scopes are the same shape. I think I indicated somewhere above that the popular SWFA SS 10x scopes could use a lever like this. Not for "zoom" obviously, but for focus on the models with the parallax adjustment on the main tube. The parallax is a little stiff and awkward to operate from the shooting position. And these models (non-HD glass versions) don't have a taper where the ring/lever would need to sit. Unlike their other scopes, SWFA doesn't offer a metal ring for these models. for some reason, despite their popularity.

Old 01-12-2018, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Bumping this subject to the top. I was wondering if you have thought any about this possibility, making a lever for the popular SWFA fixed-power "Classic" scopes with rear focus/parallax adjustment. If you need, I can provide dimensions, e.g. diameter, indent depth, count, and so on.

Here is a better pic than what I'd added above. Gives you much clearer idea of what we have to work with.

Last edited by Ki6vsm; 02-08-2023 at 8:46 AM..