Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-08-2017, 1:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Default More reasons to not buy iPhruity devices?

Once you learn the scumbag history of Jobs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdPN_QMjbCs

Whole enchilada... ?

Last edited by the86d; 09-10-2017 at 6:45 AM..
Old 09-11-2017, 2:36 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Well that makes sense.

Jobs said it was hard enough for his customers to learn how to use a mouse, why confuse them even more by putting more than one button on it...

Yeah, that about sums up the folks that buy those products...

Last edited by stilly; 09-11-2017 at 2:39 AM..
Old 09-11-2017, 4:03 AM
Calguns Addict

I find it interesting that he denied his daughter was his, after a paternity test proved it, while she and her mother were living in poverty, and he was flossin'...
Old 09-11-2017, 9:14 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

He is dead. Get over it.

I have and will continue to use Apple and Android devices. Both platforms have strengths and weaknesses.

The idea that Apple products are dumbed down for computer illiterate customers is generally propagated by anonymous faux computer experts who espouse Android features that few people care about and even fewer that will actually use them for any practical purpose.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I find it interesting that he denied his daughter was his, after a paternity test proved it, while she and her mother were living in poverty, and he was flossin'...

Wow. I musta missed that part. I swear all I heard was, "I went to the local walgreens (or some store) and bought all the deodorant and butter dishes..."

Okay I confess, I do not recall what I heard with 100% accuracy.

But it is a good video nonetheless. Not that that user group needs anyone else to come by and kick them anymore, but well, good for a laugh. The house of cards drops a wall or two...

Okay I heard it again. And so THAT is what Wozniak looks like... Huh. hehehe.

Last edited by stilly; 09-11-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Old 09-11-2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
He is dead. Get over it.

I have and will continue to use Apple and Android devices. Both platforms have strengths and weaknesses.

The idea that Apple products are dumbed down for computer illiterate customers is generally propagated by anonymous faux computer experts who espouse Android features that few people care about and even fewer that will actually use them for any practical purpose.
I think there is some validity to that. Many people ( myself included) who stated with Apple II E only know Apple ( same with Microsoft) and never ventured. There are tons of videos on YouTube that show Apple users trying Android phones and many are just stunned when they learn what features are available. It's much the same with Chrombooks currently.

Apple sells old tech "that just works" and is familiar. Some of the stuff that is "new" on their phones have been out for a decade. They are hardly cutting edge. The walled garden also helps those not technically inclined. It is seen as a positive by older folks.
Freedom thrives on the illusion of choice. Slaves feel free when they get to choose a different side of the same coin. This distracts them from from the bonds of their economic chains and ensures their allegiance to their captives. ~Me

Last edited by Anonymous_Ghost; 09-11-2017 at 1:31 PM..
Old 09-12-2017, 1:50 PM

haters gotta hate; and they seem to always hate success....RIP Steve Jobs you made your mark.
Old 09-12-2017, 1:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
haters gotta hate; and they seem to always hate success....RIP Steve Jobs you made your mark.
Wozniak was the genius. Jobs was the A-hole that stole his ideas.
Great businessman? Sure. Terrible human being? YES.

Character and ethics still matter to some of us....and no, it's not being a "hater," it's being a decent human being.
Old 09-13-2017, 8:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
HAR!

Your comment is the equivalent to ME going out and being amazed at an AT&T U-verse package only because Milana Vayntrub showed it on the TV...
Old 09-13-2017, 9:37 AM

The calguns Apple hating circle jerk is hilarious.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:23 PM

He's dead....

Posted from my macbook, tethered to my iphone.... triggered?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
Apple and Glock all are hated for being successful.

Success is envied.

If iPhones suck so much, why does every smartphone in the market try to compete and imitate it so much?

Same thing happens with Glock. If Glocks suck so much, why does S&W copy the Glock so much? Glock doesn't copy S&W.

Apple products simply work. And they work great. I went from an Android Tablet (Samsung) to an iPad and the iPad is just a better tablet all around.
Old 11-20-2017, 4:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Since we are into Necromancy...
Actually iPhones copy Android tech every few years, and open features they should have had from the get-go.
In case you were unaware, iPhones would only actively run one application at a time, while d/loads would happen in the background on Androids while another application, and that is what kicked off Apple copying Android, for the better.
One-click tether, the ability to change to any launcher interface you want, no "contact sort" issue, and "industry standard" non-proprietary connectors, are all reasons to stay with Android.
Openness is the main reason, but Apple does not give your data back, on computers via Authorized service center, when all they have to do is put a drive back in... but they don't.

MOAR:
https://youtu.be/ocF_hrr83Oc
Start at 6:53 to see why, yet again Apple is horse-pucky.

Last edited by the86d; 11-20-2017 at 4:22 AM..
Old 11-20-2017, 10:30 AM

Jobs was a huckster for sure, but also had a knack for clarity of purpose. He used the former to promote the latter and built a company that opened computing to people who didn't understand tech. It's the last part that people forget when comparing Apple to whatever.

After Apple's initial success they started to offer more professional tools and eventually a Unix-based OS that finally addressed their long-standing poor reliability. OSX is the gold standard for a professional desktop operating system. Nothing else can touch its ease of use and that a full Unix variant is just a terminal away. I would never in a million years consider switching off OSX, unless they start to remove access to the Unix core, at which time I will install Linux and suffer the poor GUI choices of that platform.

Apple today and the legacy of their vision: computing for the masses, is still around but now takes a back seat to fashion and style. This is why each IOS revision is uglier and buggier than the last and why you now need 6-cores on a phone for decent performance.

I just wish that Apple would start using the octo-core Intel Atoms in the phones and eliminate the tablet, and MacBook in one fell swoop, making an iPhone Pro that runs stock OSX. The power of the phone's CPU could easily drive an external monitor and peripherals, be it on tablet or laptop form.

Back on topic; the gist of Apple is that they make decisions to include or exclude features from other OSs based on necessity for their goal of mass consumption. Not every Android feature is worthy or good enough to persist over a single version of their software. The good is kept and flows to other platforms. I see no problem with Android being a testing ground and IOS being a stable platform.

The downside to that statement is that Android apps are littered with malware and the upgrade path is virtually non-existent, while IOS is anything but stable.

I have more to dislike Apple for their politics than their product. Price non-withstanding, their products are still the best out there, even with the gaffes. Kvetch all you want, but I'm posting this from a four year old phone that only has 15% battery degradation and can still run the latest version of IOS. How's Android in that department?

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 11-20-2017 at 10:52 AM..
Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Watch pirates of silicon valley good movie
Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 AM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
Yep, always good for a laugh.

They should rotate the pull-guy once-in-a-while though, haha!!
Old 11-20-2017, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

IMO, the problem is when people view Apple as a hardware company when their core competency is software.
Old 11-20-2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberatore View Post
IMO, the problem is when people view Apple as a hardware company when their core competency is software.
They are a hardware company, a la Sony or Samsung. Their operating software is free but supported by hardware sales and they don't support other platforms. Ergo, they only write software to sell hardware.

Their stock price is dependent on how many phones, tablets, iPods, laptops and desktops they ship, as well as peripherals, support contracts and media sales. They don't count OS licensing, IOS users, downloads, or any other software revenue except for Pro Tools, iCloud storage and site hosting. Each of the last three are not big money makers.

Maybe a few years ago they were trying to push themselves as a services company (iTunes media, pro tools), but that's pretty much ended and the last vestige of cross-platform software, namely iTunes on Windows, becoming rather much a ghost town. Nope, you need to buy Apple hardware to use their services as of today.

Problem is, Apple sucks at writing software. OSX is only as good as it is because of NeXTSTEP which was Steve's project between stints at Apple. Apple has been making OSX worse each revision since Jobs died. They have only one platform to make the software run on (compared to Microsoft), and Apple still has problems with that.

Apple may still have the best rig in town, but their trend line is negative in the software department.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 11-20-2017 at 7:19 PM..
Old 11-21-2017, 4:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Windows and Linux, not BSD in most of the Enterprise, unless you are talking notebooks (that usually need to run a Windows VM anyways, and yes, I think you can still run an OSuX VM in Windows, or Linux, but why?). Macs run PC hardware such as a x86-x64 CPU now, can accept industry standard hardware, from what I understand, so who copies who?

Who runs Enterprise "UNIX" servers anymore?
People who waste money.

Who runs Enterprise Windows and Linux servers?
About everyone.

I have NEVER had to run bloatware called iTunes for an Android, iPhones required it for upgrades, now they follow Android with autonomous upgrades via downloaded updates, right? Or do they still have to have iTunes on the same WiFi?

Android is Linux based, and due to the openness of Android and Linux there are greater options, and updates can be stopped, Androids can be rooted, and control is not taken from the owner of the device (unless locked, but that is usually unlockable these days).

I understand that there are options for iPhones NOW, such as whited00r, which didn't exist in the past, kind of like a root w/ROMs/Firmware, which has always been available for Androids, since the 1st one.

Wifikill, kicking iPhones and Macs off WiFi since Android 2.2.

Have iPhones addressed the Contacts sort, or allow for contact searching yet? When?
Android 2.0 was what I was searching contacts with (in 2009).

Androids have always been more efficient on getting anything done, especially w/one-tap-WiFi-tethering.

One ALWAYS watches iPhone users take a bunch of extra time to do anything, even type, as even currently one cannot go landscape in all apps for a larger keyboard on iPhones for entering complex WiFi passphrases, or some longer message typing (it got somewhat better in recent years, depending on the phone). Android uses won't stare are their phone for a full 60 seconds for that, but I see iPhone users waste a bunch of time to do the same task. The big kicker is most people I have spoken with are NOT going to foot the bill for a $1000 iPhone, so we may have converts that wouldn't go back to Apple, once they see the efficiency of Android, but some might.

Status symbols aren't cool @ $1000 for a device that is less efficient.
<$300 for a new T-Mobile LG V20 64GB on eBay right now.
Only one-model back-rev for only <$300 is a good deal, which is why Androids sell 8-9x as many compared to iPhones.

NEW Low-end 8-16GB Androids are available for ~$100, if budgeting.

No Safari tracking, or additional ads only for Safari users is another reason, especially when all your accounts (iTunes, iShare, iCloud, AppleCare) on iPhruity devices all use your real name, so there is the privacy issue also.
(I don't use my Gmail account in Chrome either, as it remembers [even in incognito], like Safari.)

If you click an e-mail link on an iPhone, do they still auto-open in Safari?

Is there a back button in Netflix on an iPad yet?

Last edited by the86d; 11-21-2017 at 5:40 AM..
Old 11-21-2017, 5:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
They are a hardware company, a la Sony or Samsung. Their operating software is free but supported by hardware sales and they don't support other platforms. Ergo, they only write software to sell hardware.

Their stock price is dependent on how many phones, tablets, iPods, laptops and desktops they ship, as well as peripherals, support contracts and media sales. They don't count OS licensing, IOS users, downloads, or any other software revenue except for Pro Tools, iCloud storage and site hosting. Each of the last three are not big money makers.

Maybe a few years ago they were trying to push themselves as a services company (iTunes media, pro tools), but that's pretty much ended and the last vestige of cross-platform software, namely iTunes on Windows, becoming rather much a ghost town. Nope, you need to buy Apple hardware to use their services as of today.
I view them more as a software company that makes hardware. Samsung/Sony/etc. are hardware companies that use someone else's software, like Android.

Their stock price is tied to that because that is where the revenue is made and how their software is "released". It also ties users to their ecosystem.

Apple's services revenue is up 22% YoY. That is absolutely not a "ghost town" as you put it.
Old 11-21-2017, 6:30 AM

Quote:
I view them more as a software company that makes hardware. Samsung/Sony/etc. are hardware companies that use someone else's software, like Android.

Their stock price is tied to that because that is where the revenue is made and how their software is "released". It also ties users to their ecosystem.

Apple's services revenue is up 22% YoY. That is absolutely not a "ghost town" as you put it.
I have disabled all iCloud and Apple / 3rd party services on my phone, and roll my own for email and calendaring. The supposed benefit of these background processes and hooks is far outweighed by their intrusiveness on privacy and overuse of the CPU and battery. The only "service" of Apple's that I consume is iMessage, and even that is a stretch. I bought my phone to use the features natively in hardware, plus use it as an iPod, to which I use iTunes to load songs and VLC to load movies. I use the camera and the handset as a phone.

I did not pay for the software to use these features and consider the OS as necessary to perform the functions of the device. Sorry, no sale, the software informs and makes the hardware more than a brick, but it's all still about the hardware.

The "service" revenue you point to is largely Apple Music, which, again is only available on their devices, so it's a stretch to call this a service and not just on-demand media purchases, albeit non-specific in which artists or title.

I know of no one in my social circle that uses Apple Music / Apple Pay or any other "service" Apple is calling such. They may have a few tens of thousands users on these, but it seems far less popular than the competition, so I don't put much faith that the 22% increase is very substantial.

Apple, like Microsoft, feels compelled to try to bundle their poor offerings to get the device users to bite. It didn't work well for eWorld, @mac/.mac, Ping, or any other attempt at Social media. Apple is an abject failure in the services sector. Which means, again, it's all about the hardware.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 11-21-2017 at 6:54 AM..
Old 11-21-2017, 6:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
roll my own for email and calendaring.
You don't have any problems with running your own mailserver and mail routers dropping your emails because of low reputation?

What is the calendaring system you run? Self-written?

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 11-21-2017, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
You don't have any problems with running your own mailserver and mail routers dropping your emails because of low reputation?

What is the calendaring system you run? Self-written?
Reputation filtering is based on negative interaction. The default is to trust and you get a poorer ranking if you don't follow best practices for SPF/DKIM/Spam emissions and the like.

I've run/built/administered email systems for multiple Fortune 500 companies in my career, so I feel comfortable with how they work and what to do and not to do. All of it utilizes FOSS code, so nothing I endorse here matters in that regard, plus I don't give out operational details.
Old 11-21-2017, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Windows and Linux, not BSD in most of the Enterprise, unless you are talking notebooks (that usually need to run a Windows VM anyways, and yes, I think you can still run an OSuX VM in Windows, or Linux, but why?). Macs run PC hardware such as a x86-x64 CPU now, can accept industry standard hardware, from what I understand, so who copies who?
I have a hard time parsing the point of your posting, other than to focus on minutiae, most of which is juvenile, outdated and wrong. Plenty of people use what they want because it suits their needs. Zealous dogma is a usually the sign of the naiive or uninformed.

The timing, fervor and incoherence of your screed, however, likely indicates undiagnosed or untreated anxiety or autism.

Are you sure you should be around guns?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
He was brilliant. He "knew" that Acupuncture and juice would cure cancer! What an innovative thinker!

According to Steve Jobs’ biographer, Walter Isaacson, the Apple mastermind eventually came to regret the decision he had made years earlier to reject potentially life-saving surgery in favor of alternative treatments like acupuncture, dietary supplements and juices. Though he ultimately embraced the surgery and sought out cutting-edge experimental methods, they were not enough to save him.

Jobs’ cancer had been discovered by chance during a CT scan in 2003 to look for kidney stones, during which doctors saw a "shadow” on his pancreas. Isaacson told CBS’ 60 Minutes last night that while the news was not good, the upside was that the form of pancreatic cancer from which Jobs suffered (a neuroendocrine islet tumor) was one of the 5% or so that are slow growing and most likely to be cured.

But Jobs refused surgery after diagnosis and for nine months after, favoring instead dietary treatments and other alternative methods. Isaacson says that when he asked Jobs why he had resisted it, Jobs said “I didn't want my body to be opened...I didn't want to be violated in that way.” His early resistance to surgery was apparently incomprehensible to his wife and close friends, who continually urged him to do it.

StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca has no honor.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1396165&page=4

Last edited by Dark Hunt; 11-21-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Old 11-21-2017, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Hunt View Post
He was brilliant. He "knew" that Acupuncture and juice would cure cancer! What an innovative thinker!

According to Steve Jobs’ biographer, Walter Isaacson, the Apple mastermind eventually came to regret the decision he had made years earlier to reject potentially life-saving surgery in favor of alternative treatments like acupuncture, dietary supplements and juices. Though he ultimately embraced the surgery and sought out cutting-edge experimental methods, they were not enough to save him.

Jobs’ cancer had been discovered by chance during a CT scan in 2003 to look for kidney stones, during which doctors saw a "shadow” on his pancreas. Isaacson told CBS’ 60 Minutes last night that while the news was not good, the upside was that the form of pancreatic cancer from which Jobs suffered (a neuroendocrine islet tumor) was one of the 5% or so that are slow growing and most likely to be cured.

But Jobs refused surgery after diagnosis and for nine months after, favoring instead dietary treatments and other alternative methods. Isaacson says that when he asked Jobs why he had resisted it, Jobs said “I didn't want my body to be opened...I didn't want to be violated in that way.” His early resistance to surgery was apparently incomprehensible to his wife and close friends, who continually urged him to do it.

This effects my phone how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2017, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I have disabled all iCloud and Apple / 3rd party services on my phone, and roll my own for email and calendaring. The supposed benefit of these background processes and hooks is far outweighed by their intrusiveness on privacy and overuse of the CPU and battery. The only "service" of Apple's that I consume is iMessage, and even that is a stretch. I bought my phone to use the features natively in hardware, plus use it as an iPod, to which I use iTunes to load songs and VLC to load movies. I use the camera and the handset as a phone.

I did not pay for the software to use these features and consider the OS as necessary to perform the functions of the device. Sorry, no sale, the software informs and makes the hardware more than a brick, but it's all still about the hardware.
No sale? I'm not selling anything. I'm sharing how I view Apple. You shared how you view them. We disagree. No problem with that.

Quote:
The "service" revenue you point to is largely Apple Music, which, again is only available on their devices, so it's a stretch to call this a service and not just on-demand media purchases, albeit non-specific in which artists or title.
Apple Music is a music streaming service. It has also been around for more than 2 years so both data points in the YoY numbers listed.

Quote:
I know of no one in my social circle that uses Apple Music / Apple Pay or any other "service" Apple is calling such. They may have a few tens of thousands users on these, but it seems far less popular than the competition, so I don't put much faith that the 22% increase is very substantial.
They had over 27 million users in June of this year. You're correct that it is less than the competition, but the net additions has increased faster than competitors. Note that's streaming services like Spotify and Pandora have been around for 11 and 17 years respectively.

You can choose to not put much faith in the 22%. I'll keep sharing data while you continue to use anecdotes.
Old 11-21-2017, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Try this with Apple?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiSxPvuPLc

Last edited by the86d; 11-21-2017 at 8:48 PM..
Old 11-21-2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:
No sale? I'm not selling anything. I'm sharing how I view Apple. You shared how you view them. We disagree. No problem with that.
Yup, no common ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberatore
Apple Music is a music streaming service. It has also been around for more than 2 years so both data points in the YoY numbers listed.
It's been around since Ping in 2010, but was cancelled for being a complete failure. They revamped two years ago to get to their current user base. Apple has a habit of hiding the bad data in with the good, so I'm not surprised it's not readily apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberatore
They had over 27 million users in June of this year. You're correct that it is less than the competition, but the net additions has increased faster than competitors. Note that's streaming services like Spotify and Pandora have been around for 11 and 17 years respectively.

You can choose to not put much faith in the 22%. I'll keep sharing data while you continue to use anecdotes.
So, I see statistics that say anywhere from 15 to 40 million paying subscribers for different times of this year. My guess is that number is highly inflated and probably doesn't exclude people that have cancelled.

I'm happy to put my money against Apple on any of their services. They are guaranteed losers.

Here's an anecdote for you:
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...million-2017-9

Since we can both agree on disagreeing, I'm going to inventory my ammo.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 11-21-2017 at 10:04 PM..
Old 11-21-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

By that logic you shouldn’t be driving Mercedes, bmw, vw, Audi, Porsche, opel and ford because these factories collaborated with the “nazi”.
Also throw away your glocks and steyr, HK, Mauser, Walter and anything that says 9mm and 7.63x25.
Old 11-22-2017, 5:15 AM
Calguns Addict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8QoyPD2n2Y
Old 11-22-2017, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman321 View Post
This effects my phone how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My comment was directed to the Steve Jobs fanboy. Or is that too difficult to understand?

StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca has no honor.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1396165&page=4

Old 11-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh crap, this Apple has a SOLDERED-IN SSD, for a whopping $3100-ish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCCvEzqDq8U

FYL, if you need your data... talk about half-asping it, and screwing owners of a product over.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Where chickens cross the road without being questioned.

Quote:
Yup, no common ground.

It's been around since Ping in 2010, but was cancelled for being a complete failure. They revamped two years ago to get to their current user base. Apple has a habit of hiding the bad data in with the good, so I'm not surprised it's not readily apparent.

So, I see statistics that say anywhere from 15 to 40 million paying subscribers for different times of this year. My guess is that number is highly inflated and probably doesn't exclude people that have cancelled.

I'm happy to put my money against Apple on any of their services. They are guaranteed losers.

Here's an anecdote for you:
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...million-2017-9

Since we can both agree on disagreeing, I'm going to inventory my ammo.
The "Fool" isn't exactly unbiased when it comes to apple.