Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 11-25-2014, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
Tom226: I think I'll do the same after Thanksgiving. May I ask how you filled in the part of the form where it asks for your justification or whatever it's called on the form?

Also, did you cite Peruta in your application form?

Did you walk it into Martinez?
Yes I did walk the application into the Martinez office (County Admin building, 7th floor). My justification was: "Self defense for myself and my family." While speaking with the receptionist, the office is well-versed in Peruta and I did not feel the need to articulate something that plainly obvious. Hopefully this will not bite me in the end, but I doubt that it will. It is my understanding that part of the interview is to further articulate my reasoning, which I will be happy to do.

As I said above, everyone there was very courteous, helpful, and answered all of my questions to the best of their ability. I know that our County does not have the best reputation or track record in dealing with the CCW issue but I am hopeful that we will be turning a page as the Peruta decision begins to guide County policies. I'm not normally this optimistic by nature, but I'm trying to do a better job of having faith in the process. Again, hopefully this will not bite me in the end.

Best of luck to everyone else who is applying. I did hear while I was there that more applications are being turned in and that several cards have been issued recently. No details were given as to the circumstances of the approvals (it could be a bunch of recently retired Deputies for all I know), but I'll take it as a positive sign.
Old 11-29-2014, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
Since the Sheriff might get swamp with apps should we go threw the city police chief to get a LTC.
Domingo, I guess that depends on you local PD. I just applied in the city of Pinole and recieved my denial letter a few weeks later. Now I'm thinking about applying to COCO. Or on appeal to my city CLEO.
Good luck.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:04 AM

Tom226, I'd like to think that submitting your application will not bite you in the end. You are simply exercising your rights as a citizen and going through proper channels. I'm going to do the same. As more of us are rejected who are otherwise qualified, a larger and larger class of people is formed who have a common, legitimate cause of action for future courts.

As to going through the local police dept. first, I think the fewer steps, the better. I'm going straight to the Contra Costa Sheriff's offices as Tom226 did.

By lawfully attempting to exercise our rights, we are demonstrating not only our strength in numbers, but also that administrative decisions by public officials, esp. elected public officials, have political and policy consequences for them.

If, on the other hand, too many of us sat at home and did nothing, public officials could easily draw conclusions that CCW is not an issue, not many care about it, so they can continue to ignore Peruta.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 11-29-2014, 10:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to which agencies one must apply to in order to obtain and/or apply for a CCW.

Your property tax bill should indicate whether or not you live in a city or the county. Also, your local fire department can supply that information. Many folks are under the assumption that because your mailing address indicates a "city" that they, in fact, live in a city when in reality they reside in the county, unincorporated area.

There are seven contract cities in the county. The Sheriff's Office is responsible for all or part of there law enforcement services as indicated below.
For those cities that list "for radio dispatch only" applicants must apply at the appropriate city office (unless advised that the SO provides that service for them).
In all other cases the SO is wholly responsible for the issuance of CCW permits.

Orinda
Oakley
Lafayette
San Ramon (for radio dispatch only)
Danville
Pittsburg (for radio dispatch only)
Moraga (for radio dispatch only)

Unless something has drastically changed, the Sheriff will not issue CCW permits in" incorporated" (non-contract) cities. To do otherwise and circumvent the authority of another law enforcement agency and would certainly not foster a harmonious working relationship.

So, now it is ironic that the State whittles away at the right of its citizens to defend themselves from the possible oppression of their State.
Judge Roger T. Benitez
LCM's ruled legal 3/29/2019
Old 11-29-2014, 10:36 AM

Very well said, Go Navy. I sincerely hope that this issue will not require litigation specific to CoCoCo, but I am prepared to enter the fray should it prove necessary. The stall tactics that the AG is using are extremely frustrating, but not surprising. The Peruta legal team has done an amazing job thus far, and I will continue to support their efforts as much as I can.

It is very possible that my application will be processed before Peruta is fully resolved. If that's the case, I will not be surprised if Sheriff Livingston's policy will not have yet been changed and I will have to reapply at a later date following a denial. Either way, I will see this through. I spent far too long on the sidelines, and it's time I ponied up and got involved in a substantial way.

If anyone else out there is on the fence and is considering submitting your application, go for it. Our voices are best heard in person, and the best place to begin that conversation is by politely submitting your CCW application on the 7th floor of the County Admin Building in Martinez. Hallie will take your application and will do her best to answer your questions. You may even be able to speak with Lynn (she was out that day so I could not). Even if the answers you receive are not what you want to hear, from application submission through the interview process, remember to be polite and civil. Hopefully I'll see some of you come interview time.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:42 PM

Excellent guidance, Tyke...thank you.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 12-01-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom226 View Post
Very well said, Go Navy. I sincerely hope that this issue will not require litigation specific to CoCoCo, but I am prepared to enter the fray should it prove necessary. The stall tactics that the AG is using are extremely frustrating, but not surprising. The Peruta legal team has done an amazing job thus far, and I will continue to support their efforts as much as I can.

It is very possible that my application will be processed before Peruta is fully resolved. If that's the case, I will not be surprised if Sheriff Livingston's policy will not have yet been changed and I will have to reapply at a later date following a denial. Either way, I will see this through. I spent far too long on the sidelines, and it's time I ponied up and got involved in a substantial way.

If anyone else out there is on the fence and is considering submitting your application, go for it. Our voices are best heard in person, and the best place to begin that conversation is by politely submitting your CCW application on the 7th floor of the County Admin Building in Martinez. Hallie will take your application and will do her best to answer your questions. You may even be able to speak with Lynn (she was out that day so I could not). Even if the answers you receive are not what you want to hear, from application submission through the interview process, remember to be polite and civil. Hopefully I'll see some of you come interview time.
Tom226 (or anyone else who is marching through the process), I'm filling out my DOJ form CCW application as we speak, which I will walk into the Contra Costa County Sheriff's office, and have a question about the form.

Sec. 7, two pages, thereof is called "Investigator's Interview Notes". Should I fill that out in advance and submit it as part of my application, already filled out? The name of this Section is causing my question. The content itself looks like the applicant should fill it out, even though it is partially redundant with Sections 1 and 2.

Also, is Sec. 7 where the applicant states his/her reason(s) for requesting the license, or is that huge blank area to be used by the "Investigator"?

I want my application to be as correct as possible so that it isn't rejected for trivial reasons.

Last edited by Go Navy; 12-01-2014 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 12-01-2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Tom226 (or anyone else who is marching through the process), I'm filling out my DOJ form CCW application as we speak, which I will walk into the Contra Costa County Sheriff's office, and have a question about the form.

Sec. 7, two pages, thereof is called "Investigator's Interview Notes". Should I fill that out in advance and submit it as part of my application, already filled out? The name of this Section is causing my question. The content itself looks like the applicant should fill it out, even though it is partially redundant with Sections 1 and 2.

Also, is Sec. 7 where the applicant states his/her reason(s) for requesting the license, or is that huge blank area to be used by the "Investigator"?

I want my application to be as correct as possible so that it isn't rejected for trivial reasons.
Yes, you do need to fill out section 7 to articulate your good cause. Mine was short and sweet. Like I said, we'll see where the sheriff is standing based on his legal advice in the near future. When I dropped mine off the woman at the counter did look it over to make sure everything was in order. Best of luck to you!
Old 12-02-2014, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom226 View Post
Yes, you do need to fill out section 7 to articulate your good cause. Mine was short and sweet. Like I said, we'll see where the sheriff is standing based on his legal advice in the near future. When I dropped mine off the woman at the counter did look it over to make sure everything was in order. Best of luck to you!
Thanks, Tom226....it'll go in this week. Maybe the Grinch won't steal Christmas! Best of luck to you also!

Old 12-04-2014, 2:43 PM

Today I submitted my Standard Initial and Renewal Application for License to Carry A Concealed Weapon, as it is officially known in the dark corridors of power. Also known as LCW or CCW. In my case, it is not a renewal.

I walked it into the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Main Office in Martinez, 7th floor of the County Administrative Building as previously reported by Tom226 here. By coincidence, another citizen was there at the same time, submitting his CCW application as well. I wish there had been a long line!

The individual on duty at the front desk, a fellow whose name I didn't make note of, but who was in uniform, was entirely courteous and friendly. He checked over my paperwork and made sure it was complete and in order, which it was. He informed me that I'll be contacted at a later date.

I think I've done the right thing by joining the growing ranks of those who want to exercise their lawful rights, all across California. For me, this is not the time to assume we'll get refused, or wait to "see what happens".

Old 12-04-2014, 9:27 PM

Default COCO applicants

So just out of curiosity has any one in COCO county thought about doing another Public records request to see what the latest GC are being used on approved permits? Also does anyone have the latest numbers on approved permits in COCO?
It really doesn't sound like any ordinary members are being granted CCW's in this county but the Sherriff's office is putting on a smiling face acting like they are willing to look over our applications.
Perhaps one of ou8r senior calgun members in this county should help us in doing a PRA request and perhaps we can raise some money in COCO to take the Sherriff to court. I'm tired of my fellow employees that live in neighboring county's showing up with their CCW permits. COCO needs to be next to fall in line.
Who can we correspond with on Calguns to get a movement going?

Last edited by wingman01; 12-04-2014 at 9:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2014, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman01 View Post
So just out of curiosity has any one in COCO county thought about doing another Public records request to see what the latest GC are being used on approved permits? Also does anyone have the latest numbers on approved permits in COCO?
It really doesn't sound like any ordinary members are being granted CCW's in this county but the Sherriff's office is putting on a smiling face acting like they are willing to look over our applications.
Perhaps one of ou8r senior calgun members in this county should help us in doing a PRA request and perhaps we can raise some money in COCO to take the Sherriff to court. I'm tired of my fellow employees that live in neighboring county's showing up with their CCW permits. COCO needs to be next to fall in line.
Who can we correspond with on Calguns to get a movement going?
Wingman, you point the way to where we should be headed if the Coco Sheriff decides to ignore Peruta, or decides not to abide by Peruta during any appeals thereof. This is one reason why I think the more who apply, the better. I'm not a lawyer, but this is how you build a class action with "standing" to sue. If someone has not applied, he/she has no standing, if I'm right. The bigger the potential class, the better in terms of raising money and getting some serious court attention. At some point, a freedom of information act request should be submitted to the Sheriff. Meanwhile, I recommend everyone apply for a CCW.

There's also the faint hope that, if the Sheriff sees that many citizens are aware of Peruta and want their CCW licenses, being an elected official he might go where the wind is blowing.

If any lawyers reading this disagree, please share your thinking with us.

Last edited by Go Navy; 12-05-2014 at 6:31 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-2014, 9:26 AM

Default Application process

Okay, After being denied after applying to my CLEO can anyone tell me what the protocol is for the Sherriff's dept.?

Can I just use the standard DOJ form or do I need to contact the Sherriff's dept. and request their policy and application?

Years ago I believe it was their standards professional department that took care of CCW's.

I am ready Coco!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:28 AM

Hey wingman01. They do use the standard DOJ form, but the one they had in the office was formatted differently than the one I got off the web. Luckily the questions were all the same, so I just filled in a fresh one by hand when I dropped it off. As noted above, be sure to fill out Section 7 to articulate your Good Cause. I believe it's still the Professional Standards Dept that handles the applications, but your first point of contact will be the receptionist at the County Admin Building (7th floor). Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:16 PM

I used the standard DOJ form...BOF 4012 Rev. 11/20/12. The person at the front desk reviewed and accepted it.

As far as their policies go, I really don't have a clue. I guess we're going to find out.

Old 12-05-2014, 1:44 PM

Okay, I was just wondering if they had any other requirements such as character references or copy of DMV record. Those things were required when I submitted to CLEO. Just another way to deter people from applying
Old 12-05-2014, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Okay, I was just wondering if they had any other requirements such as character references or copy of DMV record. Those things were required when I submitted to CLEO. Just another way to deter people from applying
Nothing I'm aware of, but I'm not at all squared away on this, and there's no telling what they might decide to ask for as the process unfolds. I understand that at some point in this process, there is reportedly a face to face interview. I attached copies of my FFL 03 and Cert. of Eligibility (COE) for what it's worth. There was a lot of background checking that was required for both.

There's a section on the DOJ form where you have to disclose any traffic citations for the past "x" years. I went to the DMV site first to see what shows on my record. Nothing. I remember getting a ticket sometime in the past for a rolling stop but it must have timed off my record.

Don't forget, in planning ahead, that you have to list up to three specific handguns incl. serial numbers, on the form, which then will be the only ones you can carry should you get the license. I only have two that are suitable, one of which I bought in late November with this in mind, so I only listed two. Think ahead on that part. If you are later found carrying a handgun not listed in your application, even though you might have the license, you are in violation.

Old 12-05-2014, 3:10 PM

Thanks Go_Navy, Sounds like the same standard DOJ form I did here in Pinole.
I do recall that you can replace a gun on your permit with another one after qualifying with the new one and filling out an amendment form and paying a fee.
That's always an option if you wanted to upgrade your current registered CCW weapon for something better. Okay now I'm just dreaming about getting a permit in this county! Lol. Hopefully soon.
Old 12-05-2014, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks Go_Navy, Sounds like the same standard DOJ form I did here in Pinole.
I do recall that you can replace a gun on your permit with another one after qualifying with the new one and filling out an amendment form and paying a fee.
That's always an option if you wanted to upgrade your current registered CCW weapon for something better. Okay now I'm just dreaming about getting a permit in this county! Lol. Hopefully soon.
Thanks, Wingman..didn't know that and glad to hear it. Yup, we're all dreaming. Good luck and keep us informed. Maybe the Grinch won't steal Christmas.

Old 12-06-2014, 4:03 PM

Just for the general interest, esp. those who haven't started the CCW application process, today I received a routine letter in the mail from the Contra Costa Sheriff's office acknowledging receipt of my application, stating that County fees will be collected at the end of the process if the license is approved, and requiring me to complete a "Live Scan" fingerprinting. There is a form enclosed, partially filled by this Dept., so that the response to the live scan will be directed to their office.

Since I handed in my application two days ago, this was a quick response.

The letter states that if it is determined that I am eligible to proceed after the Live Scan, I will be contacted for a formal interview.

Of course none of this means that I have any reason for optimism yet. I'm just giving a progress report here. At least I wasn't rejected out of hand.

Old 12-08-2014, 3:23 PM

Today I accomplished the "Live Scan" requirement. It should be noted that it cost me $128. $35 of that was a fee to a UPS Store which offered the service. The other $93 was for "DOJ and FBI Fees".

Isn't it interesting that a ) we have to pay to secure rights clearly granted to us by our Constitution, and b) we have to pay agencies already staffed by highly compensated public employees who cannot be fired, who have a better retirement plan by far than your humble Social Security (a plan the politicians deny to you), and receive annual bonuses from you the taxpayer, and c) agencies which are already funded by the taxpayers??

It should also be noted that I've been through this exact Live Scan procedure twice in the last 24 months or so; once for my FFL 03, and again for my TSA PRE designation. Would our vast government agencies and bureaucrats seek to make things easier for the taxpayers? No.

Old 12-08-2014, 5:06 PM

good luck to you.let us know how it goes for you, I was denied by Brentwood PD in February and the COCOCO Sheriff in August
Old 12-09-2014, 10:21 AM

Not to be a Dan the Downer about this, but I can't imagine anything has changed in Livingston's policy - the 9th has not issued a mandate and Peruta is still in appeals. Good luck and I'm sure having a stream of applicants is good, but don't get your hopes up unless you have significantly more good cause than 'self defense.' The deputy who did a lot of our interviews earlier in the year seemed supportive himself (he came from a county with more lenient issuing), but made it clear that Livingston does not support LTCs for all qualified citizens.
Old 12-12-2014, 5:20 PM

The link to the GC statements doesn't seem to work. Anybody know why?

John 14:6
Old 12-19-2014, 9:44 PM

Same here... I was surprised on how fast they acknowledged my application and requested a livescan. I wish the interview was before spending money on the livescan but oh well.
You would think as FFL3 holders we would already be eligible for a CCW!
Let me know if you have any updates and I'll do the same(-:
Tom

Quote:
Just for the general interest, esp. those who haven't started the CCW application process, today I received a routine letter in the mail from the Contra Costa Sheriff's office acknowledging receipt of my application, stating that County fees will be collected at the end of the process if the license is approved, and requiring me to complete a "Live Scan" fingerprinting. There is a form enclosed, partially filled by this Dept., so that the response to the live scan will be directed to their office.

Since I handed in my application two days ago, this was a quick response.

The letter states that if it is determined that I am eligible to proceed after the Live Scan, I will be contacted for a formal interview.

Of course none of this means that I have any reason for optimism yet. I'm just giving a progress report here. At least I wasn't rejected out of hand.
Old 12-19-2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
The link to the GC statements doesn't seem to work. Anybody know why?
I noticed that too.. I was hoping that calguns would do a more recent PRA to see the latest GC statements for approved aplications. Who can we contact here in the forums to request the most recent GC statements?
I guess when I have some free time I can but would think that after all the money that was raised some senior member would help us out in COCO...
Old 12-20-2014, 6:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I noticed that too.. I was hoping that calguns would do a more recent PRA to see the latest GC statements for approved aplications. Who can we contact here in the forums to request the most recent GC statements?
I guess when I have some free time I can but would think that after all the money that was raised some senior member would help us out in COCO...
This was answered in his cross post in the CA Activism forum:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1015382
Old 12-20-2014, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Same here... I was surprised on how fast they acknowledged my application and requested a livescan. I wish the interview was before spending money on the livescan but oh well.
You would think as FFL3 holders we would already be eligible for a CCW!
Let me know if you have any updates and I'll do the same(-:
Tom
Wingman, I went to a UPS store for the livescan, and they handled it well. However, they keep the paper form you have to fill out for the livescan, along with the Sheriff's official request. This has been bothering me ever since. That paper form for the livescan (not the Sheriff's request) has a lot of personal info on it. Makes me uneasy that it is sitting in some file at UPS; the manager said "don't worry, it's under lock and key". Sorry, but I'll worry. I wonder if I should go back and ask to retrieve it. Why would they want to retain my personal info? Maybe that's some idiotic requirement imposed on them?

Old 12-22-2014, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Wingman, I went to a UPS store for the livescan, and they handled it well. However, they keep the paper form you have to fill out for the livescan, along with the Sheriff's official request. This has been bothering me ever since. That paper form for the livescan (not the Sheriff's request) has a lot of personal info on it. Makes me uneasy that it is sitting in some file at UPS; the manager said "don't worry, it's under lock and key". Sorry, but I'll worry. I wonder if I should go back and ask to retrieve it. Why would they want to retain my personal info? Maybe that's some idiotic requirement imposed on them?
id say its a gov requirement . I'm a state employee and we keep 3 different logs of who's using the restroom
Old 12-22-2014, 1:12 PM

also i was under the impression the sheriff wouldn't send you for a live scan if your not on your way to getting approved
Old 12-22-2014, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510rick View Post
also i was under the impression the sheriff wouldn't send you for a live scan if your not on your way to getting approved
I hope you're right! The live scan thing is expensive.

Old 12-22-2014, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510rick View Post

Nope. Maybe in other counties, but CCCo sheriff has you do livescan, then interview, and then they'll reject you (unless you have much more than self defense as just cause). The deputies who interview you will even be very polite and positive. Don't get your hopes up.
Old 12-23-2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:
That is strange, I don't remember the PD dept doing that when I did my livescan for the FF3. Perhaps call a supervisor and ask if that is normal protocol or not. I haven't done my livescan for the ccw yet, haven't had the time between work and the holidays! I might stop by UPS today on the way to work but dreading the holiday rush there. Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and hopefully the Grinch won't steal or CCW's!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:27 PM

I'm going in for my interview, Contra Costa Co. Sheriff's Dept. tomorrow.

Any advice?

Old 01-15-2015, 12:39 PM

Just be courteous and professional I guess
And then demand your permit! Lol.
Seriously good luck tomorrow and please let me know how it goes. I'm sure I'll be going in for the interview soon.

Quote:
I'm going in for my interview, Contra Costa Co. Sheriff's Dept. tomorrow.

Any advice?
Old 01-15-2015, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Just be courteous and professional I guess
And then demand your permit! Lol.
Seriously good luck tomorrow and please let me know how it goes. I'm sure I'll be going in for the interview soon.
Will do. I'll post a report right here in this thread.

Old 01-16-2015, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Will do. I'll post a report right here in this thread.
anxiously waiting to hear your results
Old 01-16-2015, 1:29 PM

Apologies.....I posted my interview comments under "Concealed Carry Discussions" and the "Interview Advice?" thread there. I should not have got this going in two different places. Anyway, please check it out there.

The interview was very pleasant; only took 10-12 minutes. I was interviewed by a LT who was very personable, friendly, puts you at ease. He had a stack of applications on his desk so this must be a designated interview day. He gave me his card, and said I will receive a letter advising me of approval or disapproval but no promises as to when. He said to call him if nothing happens after awhile or if I have any questions.

Old 01-16-2015, 1:30 PM

This link should take you to my post about my interview today, 16 Jan. 2015:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1027750

Old 01-16-2015, 3:38 PM

I had my interview today as well. As Go Navy reported in his other thread, it was with a LT who was very professional and personable. I don't have much to report in addition to what's been discussed, except that I was told that the letter should arrive in about 3 weeks. I will be surprised if I'm approved since my GC was Self Defense, but who knows. I'll keep you all posted.