Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 11-04-2017, 3:20 PM

Default Bore sight opinions...

Ok, So my site light has stopped working....

What is the calguns opinions on the best laser bore sight these days?
Old 11-04-2017, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

I've had a Laserlyte for several years, and a Bushnell optical boresighter that fits in the barrel as well. Sometimes you just can't use the laser, but it is nice to have because you can dial in red dots and iron sights where the Bushnell doesn't work.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 11-05-2017, 6:33 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I've had a Laserlyte for several years, and a Bushnell optical boresighter that fits in the barrel as well. Sometimes you just can't use the laser, but it is nice to have because you can dial in red dots and iron sights where the Bushnell doesn't work.
I made a device for just such a situation. and the fact that not all scope, rifle, ring, base, combos are the same height.

You can adjust it to any sight height you like with in reason. I mounted it on my pistol just for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 11-05-2017, 6:46 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post
Ok, So my site light has stopped working....

What is the calguns opinions on the best laser bore sight these days?
If it's a bolt gun. I set the rifle up in a stand then point the rifle out the garage at the Apartments 800 meters away Lock the bore on a porch light and dial the scope in till the light is centered.

I'll also do it in day light hours using crossing lines of a power pole at 500 meters.

the further away you can focus through the bore, the more accurate your bore sight will be. I've done bore sighting this way for years but only in the last ten years have I bore sighted at longer ranges. It never fails to put bullets with in 6" of POI at 100 meters.

If you can't see down the bore. Like on an AK or a M1 or M1A well is bore lights or a Collimator. Valuable tools that don't get much use

Quote:
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Old 11-05-2017, 7:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I simply bore sight by using my eye and looking down the barrel. Yes, I've even done this with a mirror on guns that people say you can't do it on. Other than that, I use the one shot zero method to zero my optics at any distance with only one shot. It doesn't matter that shot is on paper or not as long as I can see the impact point. There is NO REASON for anyone to waste money on a laser boresighter unless, they just like to screw with their cats.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 11-05-2017, 2:53 PM

Thanks guys. I work at a gunstore part time where I smith. I sight in rifles for people, or at least get them on paper.
So when I mount 3-4 scopes on rifles in a day, its nice to bore sight them knowing that they will be paper ready for their owners without me going to the range.

Pulling the bolt and lining up the scope, or the old dowel method is great but I was hoping to see if anyone used a professional bore sight. Hence why I posted in gunsmithing.

Dang cannoneer, you never seem to disappoint with your calgun posts. They are always your personal opinion and are rarely useful or even intelligent sadly.
Old 11-05-2017, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks guys. I work at a gunstore part time where I smith. I sight in rifles for people, or at least get them on paper.
So when I mount 3-4 scopes on rifles in a day, its nice to bore sight them knowing that they will be paper ready for their owners without me going to the range.

Pulling the bolt and lining up the scope, or the old dowel method is great but I was hoping to see if anyone used a professional bore sight. Hence why I posted in gunsmithing.

Dang cannoneer, you never seem to disappoint with your calgun posts. They are always your personal opinion and are rarely useful or even intelligent sadly.
Really? Well, I have "professional boresighting equipment" and I still prefer the tried and true, easier and faster method of using my eye to sight down the bore. Of course, that along with adding the appropriate adjustment for distance (which you need to do with a crappy laser that may not be properly aligned anyway) will get you on paper too. Using the one shot zero method is the only good way to actually zero an optic for the ammo you plan to shoot. Yes, that is my opinion. Just like everyone else here, they posted their personal opinion and personal preference. So, why isn't my post intelligent or useful? Is it because, you don't understand it? Is it because you didn't qualify your needs by stating that you were doing this for others and not actually zeroing the firearms yourself? I'm sorry that I'm not a mind reader and didn't know that you were only looking for opinions and experiences that you agree with.

Old 11-05-2017, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

K.C., that's a very elegant solution to the boresighter's shortcomings. I would very much like one. Please P.M. me if you are willing to knock one out in your machine shop.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 11-05-2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Really? Well, I have "professional boresighting equipment" and I still prefer the tried and true, easier and faster method of using my eye to sight down the bore. Of course, that along with adding the appropriate adjustment for distance (which you need to do with a crappy laser that may not be properly aligned anyway) will get you on paper too. Using the one shot zero method is the only good way to actually zero an optic for the ammo you plan to shoot. Yes, that is my opinion. Just like everyone else here, they posted their personal opinion and personal preference. So, why isn't my post intelligent or useful? Is it because, you don't understand it? Is it because you didn't qualify your needs by stating that you were doing this for others and not actually zeroing the firearms yourself? I'm sorry that I'm not a mind reader and didn't know that you were only looking for opinions and experiences that you agree with.
You troll my posts taking ****, Im just really surprised I don't have to sit through another essay from you how you help people. Man that got old last time.
Your opinion is duly noted. I do a service for people and if the reality is my previous boresighter was a great tool to slap into the barrel, point at the 25yard wall in my shop, paper in a rifle for 100 and case the rifle within minutes.
Im totally fine for my own gun collection to play grandpa sight in games. Usually I prefer it, but at the shop I work, a tool is used for a reason.

Now you know why I asked a specific question. Which you supplied a opinion that doesn't answer the question so you can either continue to troll me and argue or you can **** off.
Id prefer you **** off and bother someone else.
Thanks!
Old 11-05-2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
I made a device for just such a situation. and the fact that not all scope, rifle, ring, base, combos are the same height.

You can adjust it to any sight height you like with in reason. I mounted it on my pistol just for fun
Thats a pretty darn cool idea!
I might have to try to tinker something up similar.
Old 11-05-2017, 6:14 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thats a pretty darn cool idea!
I might have to try to tinker something up similar.
you just have to make sure your dimensions are correct and stack up properly. I cut the slide a little thick so i could cut it to center. verified center on the surface plate floating on gauge blocks.

Simple little gizmo. If you want better pictures PM me. it'll give you a better idea how to copy it. I need to get a sticky scale and off set it on the side so I know what my bore to scope/sight center is. that would be easier than measure and math every damn time.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2017, 6:38 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
K.C., that's a very elegant solution to the boresighter's shortcomings. I would very much like one. Please P.M. me if you are willing to knock one out in your machine shop.
I might Since I got the bugs worked out of this one. Fitting and centering the pins to each other

Quote:
Old 11-05-2017, 6:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I set the rifle up in a stand then point the rifle out the garage at the Apartments 800 meters away Lock the bore on a porch light and dial the scope in till the light is centered.

I'll also do it in day light hours using crossing lines of a power pole at 500 meters.
I have found that 75-80yds gets a more accurate bore sight as it puts more angle into the scope and gets you even closer to a proper zero.
I took a can of spray paint and painted a dot on a fence across the street and I use the dot when bore sighting from my shop.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 11-05-2017, 7:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You troll my posts taking ****, Im just really surprised I don't have to sit through another essay from you how you help people. Man that got old last time.
Your opinion is duly noted. I do a service for people and if the reality is my previous boresighter was a great tool to slap into the barrel, point at the 25yard wall in my shop, paper in a rifle for 100 and case the rifle within minutes.
Im totally fine for my own gun collection to play grandpa sight in games. Usually I prefer it, but at the shop I work, a tool is used for a reason.

Now you know why I asked a specific question. Which you supplied a opinion that doesn't answer the question so you can either continue to troll me and argue or you can **** off.
Thanks!
Sorry, I don't pay attention to who's threads or posts I give my opinion in or about. If I post negative stuff it isn't anything personal, I really don't pay attention to anything except the content.

As far as boresighting goes, what you call the old grandpa way is the quickest and most accurate if you know what you're doing. However, in your situation, you know, the one you neglected to mention when you first asked for opinions, yea, when people, who don't know any better, pay for a simple service, they are far happier to see a bunch of expensive looking specialty tools being used. So, in your case, why not get a Sight a Line kit or, if you really want a laser, get a Steiner Optics laser kit? The non laser kit will be more versatile since, you won't need any distance to use it. That, along with kc's adapter would be the best solution. But, again, people who pay want to see the latest and (what they believe to be) greatest tools being used so, that would be a laser.

Old 11-05-2017, 7:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I've seen and used one similar to that when I worked at a shop. I thought it was a production piece but, I've never been able to find another one like it. I'd buy one if you started making them.

Old 11-06-2017, 4:21 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Thanks!

Sorry buddy but I have to side with CSA on this, Not that he needs defending, If you're to damn stubborn or blind or in reality your shop won't allow pointing a weapon out the back door and you want a tool to get you there easier fine. But don't call this technique Grandpa sight in game. I can eyeball the bore sight on a rifle and have you with in 6" of POI at 100 meters, Then you can apply the one shot zero technique and be at POI in one shot. Being a smith you should know those little laser lights are nothing but toys and I've never seen a real smith use them for anything other than something to sell to the customer.

And if you're too thin skinned to learn something from someone far more experienced than you, you need to grow up and be humble.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2017, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Sorry buddy but I have to side with CSA on this, Not that he needs defending, If you're to damn stubborn or blind or in reality your shop won't allow pointing a weapon out the back door and you want a tool to get you there easier fine. But don't call this technique Grandpa sight in game. I can eyeball the bore sight on a rifle and have you with in 6" of POI at 100 meters, Then you can apply the one shot zero technique and be at POI in one shot. Being a smith you should know those little laser lights are nothing but toys and I've never seen a real smith use them for anything other than something to sell to the customer.

And if you're too thin skinned to learn something from someone far more experienced than you, you need to grow up and be humble.

Thats awesome. Im not sure if its reading comprehension or just possibly a entitled arrogance that comes with some Californians to feel the need to give opinions on aspects which they are not asked.

So lets break this down for you.
I did not ask HOW to bore sight I asked about electronic bore sighters.
I am not a young man or inexperienced in firearms. I would go into age, military background and so forth but I won't bore anyone and in reality don't feel the need to explain myself more than this.

I run a small business that outfits rifles/smiths, and does weapons coatings for hunters, and two different agencies in California.
When said agencies send me weapons, they specifically ask for them to be laser bore sighted. One of them actually wanted to know the make of my electronic bore sight on my invoice.
These people pay me, so they get exactly what they ask for.
It is not prudent for me to eyeball it, and I do not have the ability to shoot the weapon myself. In the last two years I haven't fired one of the weapons I have worked on before sending them back.
So with that said, these aren't MY guns that I have the ability to eyeball, then walk rounds in at the range at my own pace. I wish they were but they are not.

But again, I made a thread to see what boresighters were being used these days since my SightLite 150 has died over the weekend and needed to replace it.
Old 11-06-2017, 7:48 AM

I dunno, but if I was in a shop with a few rifles to quickly check, and time is money, I probably would use a laser instead of looking out the back door and across the street.

When I worked at Turner's Outdoorsman twenty-some-odd years ago we had a Bushnell Collimator just like kcstott is using....only because lasers didn't exist
Old 11-06-2017, 10:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
people who pay want to see the latest and (what they believe to be) greatest tools being used so, that would be a laser.
I have yet to see one of those laser bore sighters where the laser was actually inline with the bore.
Every one that people have brought over to my shop draws a circle on the wall when you rotate it within the barrel.
One even drew a 12" circle at 10ft.
The straightest one drew just a 2" circle at 10ft.

That's still unacceptably far off to do the job we are asking it to do.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

To whom it may concern,
If any of this was offensive to you, please complete and return the form.
Thank You.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 11-06-2017, 12:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I have yet to see one of those laser bore sighters where the laser was actually inline with the bore.
Every one that people have brought over to my shop draws a circle on the wall when you rotate it within the barrel.
One even drew a 12" circle at 10ft.
The straightest one drew just a 2" circle at 10ft.

That's still unacceptably far off to do the job we are asking it to do.
Butt, butt, butt, that's not what the OP asked about. He specifically wants to know which POS you are using and think is the best for doing a substandard job.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Thanks!
Really? I actually took the time to go through about the last three months of your posts and I can't find any substance to your claim. Maybe you are imagining things? Are you on any medication that could have hallucinogenic side effects? Maybe your arrogance is just clouding your judgement when you read opinions which you don't agree with???

Old 11-06-2017, 3:17 PM

Oh dear.....
Old 11-06-2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Really? I actually took the time to go through about the last three months of your posts and I can't find any substance to your claim. Maybe you are imagining things? Are you on any medication that could have hallucinogenic side effects? Maybe your arrogance is just clouding your judgement when you read opinions which you don't agree with???
Cool your jets little lady. No one said I didn't agree with you. I actually have no issues eyeballing my own rifles. I never said it was wrong, but if a service requires laser bore sighting, thats what I do. And it actually works!

I do appreciate your trolling my thread by telling me your not trolling my thread though.
Pretty much what you did last time as well. I had twenty of your insults and opinions about things that the original question didn't pertain to.

Now your insulting my company and work as well? Knock yourself out.
Just came here asking a question. You seem to love to do that. Jump a thread, insult people, then if anyone complains you tell them they are stupid since they aren't listening to your massive intellect and intelligence.

umm, thanks?
Old 11-06-2017, 4:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Cool your jets little lady. No one said I didn't agree with you. I actually have no issues eyeballing my own rifles. I never said it was wrong, but if a service requires laser bore sighting, thats what I do. And it actually works!

I do appreciate your trolling my thread by telling me your not trolling my thread though.
Pretty much what you did last time as well. I had twenty of your insults and opinions about things that the original question didn't pertain to.

Now your insulting my company and work as well? Knock yourself out.
Just came here asking a question. You seem to love to do that. Jump a thread, insult people, then if anyone complains you tell them they are stupid since they aren't listening to your massive intellect and intelligence.

umm, thanks?
I'm not the one calling names. I feel sorry for you since you seem to feel the need to take everything personally. I did not insult your company, hell, I don't even know your company or what it does besides boresighting. Yes, I did say that using a laser boresighter produces substandard work but, if that's the requirement, that's the requirement. That was not an insult to you, your company or anything except the fact that laser boresighters don't produce the best results. AFTER you clarified your original question, I agreed that you should get a laser and recommended one since, that's what your customers want.

Old 11-06-2017, 5:29 PM

The last rifle I did before my boresighter ceased functioning last week was a Christensen arms Summit TI in 6.5 creed more.
Stripped it down, did some Duracoat camo work on the stock and receiver and put a new Swarovski z81 that we also painted in the rings and leveled it.
I threw my bore sight in the barrel, pointed it at the wall and sighted it in for 100. It literally took 30 seconds, IF that.

We took it placed it in its case and gave it to my customer who was on his way to Colorado for deer season.
I asked him how it sighted in ( since he was chrono'ing it for the ballistic turret that was installed ) and he said he took it out of the case and loaded his Hornady precision hunter 143 gr ammo that we sold him and doped out to 200 yards.
Fired three rounds. The first three rounds out of the gun.
[IMG][/IMG]

So Im not saying that one of us could have easilty shot better at 200, but thats a nice little group.

Im also not saying it couldn't be done by eyeballing the rifle, or pulling the bolt and looking down pipe, but I would suggest rethinking the aspect that a good bore sight is junk and doesn't work. The do. And from the few shops Ive been involved with in the last 30 years they all used them.

They have done nothing but work for me.

So in hindsight, I have obviously repurchased the same model that broke. Its lasted a few years so its well worth the cost.

A great cheap alternative for people who want to have a rifle that will hit paper without having to do much effort. He should be able to zero this rifle super easy now.