Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-17-2020, 5:24 PM

Default Anyone else stuck indefinitely?

Here we are with the end of our tour coming up. Just waiting for our counterparts to make their way to and through Ft. Hood. Bam! Coronavirus hits and now we can count on at least an extra month on the tour due to 14 day quarantine coming into country then 14 day quarantine returning to US.

Oh, but wait, our host country has closed their borders so now no one coming in. Last I heard was Hood might also close or delay our back fill because they haven't started movement there yet. So now we are delayed indefinitely. And locked down on post. It may be many months before I even get to go home even when back in the States since I am headed to WTU for surgery. I am still mission capable so I insisted and they kept me around. A hell of a way to finish my first deployment. All in all we'll have some stories. Charlie Mike.

“Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I’m still alive.’ But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.” – Sen. Barbara Boxer

NRA Patron Member
Old 03-17-2020, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

Darn man I’m sorry to hear that, brings new meaning to ‘hurry up and wait’. As much as it may suck stay positive and do something constructive (study, train, workout) and goes without saying but I’ll say it anyway...thank you.
Old 03-18-2020, 5:54 PM

Hey I appreciate it, thank you! I am just keeping in the rhythm of the daily routine. We're not suffering and certainly there are worse places. Although the only place to eat now is the DFAC since any other on-post shops are closed.

Even though the Post is locked down and no one has been sick, we now have to maintain 6-feet "social distancing" at all times, walking around, in line at the DFAC, etc. So that means the line for the hand wash sinks and CAC-in at the DFAC was out the door tonight. But, we can still work face to face with patients in the CSH, lol.

All local civilians are under a national curfew and they run some of the MWR places on Post. As of tomorrow the gym is closed until further notice. I got the bright idea to try my hand in the stock market. I realized within 2 days why I am not rich. I will find another hobby until I get home. Thanks again!

“Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I’m still alive.’ But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.” – Sen. Barbara Boxer

NRA Patron Member
Old 03-19-2020, 6:19 PM

The worst part about all of this really is that I cannot be at home to take care of the loved ones. I see and hear updates from leadership, information is changing hourly it seems. While the news from CA, whole State on a shelter in place order?, gets worse daily. Usually you hear about your family members worrying about the Soldier. I think this is one time when things are actually better/safer in the deployed area than at home.

NRA Patron Member
Old 03-20-2020, 6:58 AM

Wow, that sucks ***
Old 03-20-2020, 2:08 PM

That sucks, hope the family back at home isnt too upset. That’s honestly my worst nightmare: being thrown into the situation where there’s no clear end in sight and no mission to perform.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM

How bad would it suck to be in Basic in the middle of all this?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:55 AM

That's a tough break for sure. Hang in there.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
When I went through basic training last century Ft. Ord was under meningitis control. They were especially cautious about new trainees arriving on base.
When we lined up for anything we maintained three foot intervals. In our barracks we hung our shelter halves on one side of our bunks as a sneeze barrier. Trainees were restricted to the company area during off hours. We had white tags sewn on our fatigue shirts above our name so we could be easily spotted if we were somewhere we shouldn't be.
Today's situation is much worse so I can't imagine how they're dealing with it.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:32 AM

I arrived at Fort Ord in June of '71. Same thing.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 03-26-2020, 12:54 PM

I arrived in August '69.
Old 03-28-2020, 1:18 PM

Well, new 60-day Stop Movement Order this week. Two weeks after the last one. No cases here yet but our hospital is bracing for CoV-19. I'm still working with patients until they tell me not to. Leadership is in a constant state of Powerpoint preparation. I found that working out with pull up, dip bars, and various rocks amassed in the PT area is pretty tough! Oh, I made back the money I initially lost my first 2 days playing the stock market. Was up $2k after that! but now back to even after yesterday. Oh well. For giggles I've been giving haircuts (Free of course), doing my part to maintain the standard! I'd say I'm a 6 out of 10. Barber shops on Post are closed. I've done 4 so far.

Stay safe an healthy everyone!

NRA Patron Member
Old 03-28-2020, 2:13 PM
Veteran Member

Well that sucks Sir. Hey, I'm from Concord!!!

A friends son just graduated from Ft. Benning and they're not getting shipped out to their first duty stations.
Old 03-28-2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
I’m at basic right now. Family day is cancelled, might get a base pass if we’re lucky. Social distance is 6 feet and going to the dfac is a nightmare. As of now we’re still going to AIT but everything changes daily.
Old 03-28-2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
Well that sucks Sir. Hey, I'm from Concord!!!

A friends son just graduated from Ft. Benning and they're not getting shipped out to their first duty stations.

I don't doubt it. We had an exception to policy memo signed so we were still scheduled for movement back to the States. Being a medical unit we were considered mission essential. Not so with the new stop movement order. It seems no one is going anywhere.

I would be happy to buy you a cup of coffee when I get back and when things get back to some sort of normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR18 View Post
I’m at basic right now. Family day is cancelled, might get a base pass if we’re lucky. Social distance is 6 feet and going to the dfac is a nightmare. As of now we’re still going to AIT but everything changes daily.
Yes, I got the message that all ceremonies and gatherings are cancelled. Everything is shut down. Funny that the Soldiers seem to be nonchalant. The higher command is deadly serious. Our Post commander chewed some asses the other night in the DFAC. He walked up on a group that was sitting too close at the table. He had them call their Company commander and tell him to get down there immediately. Most of us left before the show started.

You are correct, everything is constantly changing. Try not to get frustrated with differing and opposing instructions and guidance. That's the norm on a good day, it's just happening much more than usual now, lol. Eventually we will settle in to some regular routine and things will get back to normal. Keep an eye out for your buddies and fellow Soldiers alike, and also look after yourself; physically, mentally and spiritually.

NRA Patron Member
Old 03-28-2020, 3:36 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=AregularGuy;24052618I would be happy to buy you a cup of coffee when I get back and when things get back to some sort of normal.
[/QUOTE]

It would be my honor and privilege to buy you one!
Old 03-28-2020, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
It would be my honor and privilege to buy you one!
You're on! Thank you!

NRA Patron Member
Old 03-29-2020, 7:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AregularGuy View Post
Hey I appreciate it, thank you! I am just keeping in the rhythm of the daily routine. We're not suffering and certainly there are worse places. Although the only place to eat now is the DFAC since any other on-post shops are closed.

Even though the Post is locked down and no one has been sick, we now have to maintain 6-feet "social distancing" at all times, walking around, in line at the DFAC, etc. So that means the line for the hand wash sinks and CAC-in at the DFAC was out the door tonight. But, we can still work face to face with patients in the CSH, lol.

All local civilians are under a national curfew and they run some of the MWR places on Post. As of tomorrow the gym is closed until further notice. I got the bright idea to try my hand in the stock market. I realized within 2 days why I am not rich. I will find another hobby until I get home. Thanks again!
At least the DFAC's are open. Not like it was recently.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 03-29-2020, 7:20 AM

Thank you for your service. Keeping you in my prayers.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
At least the DFAC's are open. Not like it was recently.
Yes, thank God. At least we still get hot chow. If we get to HPCON D it's take out only or MRE's at our doors. Hoping we never get to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
Thank you for your service. Keeping you in my prayers.
Thank you! I appreciate it. Happy to be here with my brothers and sisters. Just wish back home wasn't such a mess. I'm praying for all of you good folks as well.

NRA Patron Member
Old 03-29-2020, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You're on! Thank you!
You betcha!
Old 03-29-2020, 5:08 PM

All officer promotion boards have been postponed.

Yet.........PME is WAIVED for NCO boards.
Old 03-29-2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Funny that the Soldiers seem to be nonchalant. The higher command is deadly serious. Our Post commander chewed some asses the other night in the DFAC.
Because everything is so important and the end of the world in the military that NOTHING IS important and the end of the world to those that deal with the nonsense every day.

So when it IS legit they Army already used up all their ability to induce seriousness into the situation.
Old 03-29-2020, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Because everything is so important and the end of the world in the military that NOTHING IS important and the end of the world to those that deal with the nonsense every day.

So when it IS legit they Army already used up all their ability to induce seriousness into the situation.
This is definitely true! Haha. Everything needs to be done RIGHT MEOW! Everything. Until something important actually comes up.

Quote:
All officer promotion boards have been postponed.

Yet.........PME is WAIVED for NCO boards.
Yes. I heard. All of our E5's are putting in packets. I joked I'd put one in so I could be my own NCOIC. Meanwhile, our poor S1 spent hours and hours going over everyone's ORB and getting everything in iPERMS. There was one COL that hadn't updated anything on over 8 years.

NRA Patron Member
Old 03-30-2020, 10:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes, thank God. At least we still get hot chow. If we get to HPCON D it's take out only or MRE's at our doors. Hoping we never get to that point.
If that happens it's gonna suck here more than it does already. Would be nice for the gyms open back up.

Quote:

Our Post commander chewed some asses the other night in the DFAC. He walked up on a group that was sitting too close at the table. He had them call their Company commander and tell him to get down there immediately. Most of us left before the show started.
I did here a 3 star came down and saw the sh*t show that was the lines at the DFAC. That was no joke. He wasn't too happy to see that.

So far I haven't anyone get yelled for sitting in the DFAC since this whole mess started.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

No one is taking this seriously I can attest to that. Any common sense was used up decades ago.

This is my last time doing this crap. No more mobs for this guy. I'll pass on the next one.

Being gone when the proverbial SHTF I'm gone as the Army has always made sure I was gone when something important happens.

contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Any common sense was used up decades ago.
It's just so sad to see how much stuff has to be hand held from the highest levels.

Just got the e-mail guidance regarding NCOER/OER's that are due now, but will not have current APFT scores. It goes to show, the lowest levels of raters don't have the common sense to handle it logically. i.e. make note of COV19 and the stand in place order in regard to no current record APFT
Old 03-31-2020, 3:42 AM

Hey, you guys ripped with us. Aside from our XO kept f'ing up paperwork that delayed us getting on a bird, things for us were also pushed to the left several weeks because the Iran thing started. We ket getting calls to stand ready in case we had to jump. Are you guys still getting carrot cake? Guess no more scooped ice cream in the DFAC.

Last edited by oakland1067; 03-31-2020 at 3:50 AM..
Old 03-31-2020, 5:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It's just so sad to see how much stuff has to be hand held from the highest levels.

Just got the e-mail guidance regarding NCOER/OER's that are due now, but will not have current APFT scores. It goes to show, the lowest levels of raters don't have the common sense to handle it logically. i.e. make note of COV19 and the stand in place order in regard to no current record APFT
I'm curious how that will be handled on NCOER's on the system. It will more than likely throw and error and not allow it to be completed unless and exception is added to it that will allow an outdated PT test be put in with no errors. Gonna be fun with this one.

contact the governor
NRA Life Member.