Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2018, 10:16 AM

I currently have a lower that doesn't have a serial number. Am I able to request one from the DOJ after July 1 and then engrave it, or should I engrave my own custom serial and volreg it ASAP?

From AB-857:
Quote:
by January 1, 2019, and subject to exceptions, require any person who, as of July 1, 2018, owns a firearm that does not bear a serial number to likewise apply to the department for a unique serial number or other mark of identification
Old 06-21-2018, 10:47 AM

Finding this info is like drinking from a fire hose now.

ASKING FOR A FRIEND

(NOT MINE) 80% lower completed years ago and comply with current "fixed magazine" definition (BB 2.0). There are currently no engravings or 'mark of identification' of any kind.

If said friend has required serial + other nonsense engraved on lower prior to July 1, what do they have to do next?

What constitutes a 'mark of identification'? An engraved logo/emblem? If just a logo/emblem, how do you register that?

Is notifying DOJ of a home built firearm the same as registering an AW? More specifically, will people have ATF show up and confiscate their stuff as a result of this?

How does one register home built firearm (not as AW) to required agencies?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephlwu View Post
I currently have a lower that doesn't have a serial number. Am I able to request one from the DOJ after July 1 and then engrave it, or should I engrave my own custom serial and volreg it ASAP?

From AB-857:
Up to you, but even if you do the latter, you may still have to do the former because it doesn't seem like they'll enter it into the system in time.
Old 06-21-2018, 2:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnbeer View Post
Finding this info is like drinking from a fire hose now.

ASKING FOR A FRIEND

(NOT MINE) 80% lower completed years ago and comply with current "fixed magazine" definition (BB 2.0). There are currently no engravings or 'mark of identification' of any kind.

If said friend has required serial + other nonsense engraved on lower prior to July 1, what do they have to do next?
If the firearm is recorded in the "centralized registry" prior to 7/1/18, then you will not need to apply for a CA DOJ issued serial number. A link to the California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) website is below, where you can voluntarily register the firearm using the "Firearm Ownership Report".

Note: It has been argued that simply submitting the required information may not be sufficient, if the CA DOJ does not actually process it into the registry by 7/1/18.

Quote:
What constitutes a 'mark of identification'? An engraved logo/emblem? If just a logo/emblem, how do you register that?
Family crest? Kidding, I have no idea on this one.

Quote:
Is notifying DOJ of a home built firearm the same as registering an AW? More specifically, will people have ATF show up and confiscate their stuff as a result of this?
If the firearm you submit is CA legal, and you are able to posses firearms, you should not have any issues. Photos are not required to voluntarily register the firearm using the "Firearm Ownership Report", prior to 7/1/18.

Quote:
How does one register home built firearm (not as AW) to required agencies?
Create account-> https://cfars.doj.ca.gov/
Select->California Reporting Information System (CRIS)
Select->Firearm Ownership Report

Photos are NOT required, if there is not a red asterisk next to the box, the information is not required, so do not fill it out.
Old 06-21-2018, 3:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
If the firearm is recorded in the "centralized registry" prior to 7/1/18, then you will not need to apply for a CA DOJ issued serial number. A link to the California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) website is below, where you can voluntarily register the firearm using the "Firearm Ownership Report".
What part of the PC mentioned this? I was under the impression as long as it was serialized you were fine. Not that you had to volreg it as well. I guess I'll find out the CRPA opinion on the wording next week.

Here's what I'm reading:
Source: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160AB857
Quote:
This bill would, commencing July 1, 2018, and subject to exceptions, require a person who manufactures or assembles a firearm to first apply to the department for a unique serial number or other identifying mark, as provided. The bill would, by January 1, 2019, and subject to exceptions, require any person who, as of July 1, 2018, owns a firearm that does not bear a serial number to likewise apply to the department for a unique serial number or other mark of identification. The bill would, except as provided, prohibit the sale or transfer of ownership of a firearm manufactured or assembled pursuant to these provisions. The bill would prohibit a person from aiding in the manufacture or assembly of a firearm by a person who is prohibited from possessing a firearm. The bill would make a violation of these provisions a misdemeanor. By creating a new crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
The bolded section is what I read as "if it has a SN before 7/1/2018 nothing more needs to be done". I didn't see the part where it says not only must it have a SN, but it had to be volregged too.
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
G+: http://google.com/+UGImportsLLCFremont / FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
NorCal Range Maps: http://ugimports.com/rangemaps

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 3:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
What part of the PC mentioned this? I was under the impression as long as it was serialized you were fine. Not that you had to volreg it as well. I guess I'll find out the CRPA opinion on the wording next week.

Here's what I'm reading:
Source: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160AB857

The bolded section is what I read as "if it has a SN before 7/1/2018 nothing more needs to be done". I didn't see the part where it says not only must it have a SN, but it had to be volregged too.
I don't see where of the exemptions in the penal code apply to unlicensed manufacturers, unless your firearm is an NFA item. The regulations recently accepted and published also make it pretty clear. On my phone now, ink try to remember to did up links later on, or there is an entire thread in the CA 2nd amendment discussion section on the regulations.
Old 06-21-2018, 4:15 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quick update.

On 25th of March, 2018 I submitted 7 FOR forms for my 80% self-serialized 1911 builds.

Today I got 7 e-mails from CFARS

Subject of each: California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) Submission Confirmation Notice

Body of each has my name and address and this message:
"The California Department of Justice has received your electronic application and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov."

So now the real waiting begins.
Old 06-21-2018, 4:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I don't see where of the exemptions in the penal code apply to unlicensed manufacturers, unless your firearm is an NFA item. The regulations recently accepted and published also make it pretty clear. On my phone now, ink try to remember to did up links later on, or there is an entire thread in the CA 2nd amendment discussion section on the regulations.
I see it now: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1367104
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
G+: http://google.com/+UGImportsLLCFremont / FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
NorCal Range Maps: http://ugimports.com/rangemaps

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 4:43 PM

I’m filling out a FOR for an 80% Pistol, it is currently in single shot configuration. It already has a serial number and information engraved.

1. I got the lower from Atomic Engraving. What should I put under “Make”? The closest thing in the drop down seems to be “80 Percent Arms”.

2.Should I register it as a receiver only? I’d like to be able to put a different upper on it on the future, so I don’t want to say that it is a specific caliber or barrel length.
Old 06-21-2018, 4:45 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by air rover View Post
I’m filling out a FOR for an 80% Pistol, it is currently in single shot configuration. It already has a serial number and information engraved.

1. I got the lower from Atomic Engraving. What should I put under “Make”? The closest thing in the drop down seems to be “80 Percent Arms”.

2.Should I register it as a receiver only? I’d like to be able to put a different upper on it on the future, so I don’t want to say that it is a specific caliber or barrel length.
Make should be U S
Can't answer 2.
Old 06-21-2018, 4:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
Just pertaining to AB 857:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1421339
Old 06-21-2018, 6:58 PM

I was reading that it may be “illegal” to make a single shot pistol into a semi-auto. Could someone point me to the PC pertaining to this?
Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 AM

I've been using the search button, but I can't seem to find my answer. I could has swore that I already read what I am looking for a couple weeks back, but now that I am searching for it, I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

I am filling out the Firearms Ownership Report for an 80% stripped lower that I may at some point turn into a carbine. Currently it is just the lower. The items in red below have me questioning if I have the form filled out correctly.

Firearm Type: Rifle
Category: Frame Only
Serial #: XXXXXX
Make: US
Model: Carbine
Caliber: N/A
Firearm Origin: California
Barrel Length: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommonsense View Post
California is Sodom and Gomorrah on crack!
Want To Sell
Springfield Professional 1911
Samson 12" Handguard, AR15, Cerakote FDE
Old 06-22-2018, 6:00 AM

Looks right to me
Old 06-22-2018, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
Quick update.

On 25th of March, 2018 I submitted 7 FOR forms for my 80% self-serialized 1911 builds.

Today I got 7 e-mails from CFARS

Subject of each: California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) Submission Confirmation Notice

Body of each has my name and address and this message:
"The California Department of Justice has received your electronic application and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov."

So now the real waiting begins.
Anybody got these today? When did you submit?
Old 06-22-2018, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quick question......filling out the FOR on the CFARS website...it's asking for HSC or FSC number. I have a HSC but it's at work, I'm trying to knock this thing out. I have a CCW isn't that sufficient? It is for a firearm purchase....
Old 06-22-2018, 4:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB View Post
Quick question......filling out the FOR on the CFARS website...it's asking for HSC or FSC number. I have a HSC but it's at work, I'm trying to knock this thing out. I have a CCW isn't that sufficient? It is for a firearm purchase....
No asterisk, it's not required.
Old 06-22-2018, 4:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No asterisk, it's not required.
Crap! I missed that.....Thanks!
Old 06-22-2018, 4:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Crap! I missed that.....Thanks!

Don't give them anymore than required.
Old 06-22-2018, 5:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

last question...I filled out two reports but when I go to check out, the invoice is only $19...I had assumed it was $19 per firearm.
Is that correct? $19 for two?
Old 06-22-2018, 5:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
last question...I filled out two reports but when I go to check out, the invoice is only $19...I had assumed it was $19 per firearm.
Is that correct? $19 for two?
Same price for as many as you can get in one transaction.
Old 06-22-2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder_Keg View Post
I've been using the search button, but I can't seem to find my answer. I could has swore that I already read what I am looking for a couple weeks back, but now that I am searching for it, I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

I am filling out the Firearms Ownership Report for an 80% stripped lower that I may at some point turn into a carbine. Currently it is just the lower. The items in red below have me questioning if I have the form filled out correctly.

Firearm Type: Rifle
Category: Frame Only
Serial #: XXXXXX
Make: US
Model: Carbine
Caliber: N/A
Firearm Origin: California
Barrel Length: N/A

Crap.
Didn't notice "California" was an option in the "Firearm Origin" field.
So I chose, "United States of America"
Wonder if that will cause an issue, or if I'll be able to correct it later.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:39 AM

Those that are following the Glockstore suggestion of applying NOW for a serial number for your SS80, what are you putting for a manufacture date on the form BOF-1008? I guess we would use the current date, even though it hasn't been manufactured or even received yet?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockingCPA View Post
Those that are following the Glockstore suggestion of applying NOW for a serial number for your SS80, what are you putting for a manufacture date on the form BOF-1008? I guess we would use the current date, even though it hasn't been manufactured or even received yet?
This doesn't conform with the regs
Old 06-23-2018, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockingCPA View Post
Glock Store would've been better off not sending that email out, they are not issuing serials for AB857 registrations until after 7/1/18, and at that time it is stopped to be an online application through the CFARS/CRIS system.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:36 PM

Engraving question.

Can I abbreviate Sacramento?

West Sacramento into West Sac, CA ?
Old 06-23-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawker View Post
Engraving question.

Maybe but I’ve never seen a real manufacturer do that. Most people aren’t to play it safe. At this point I wouldn’t since you only get one shot with the deadline this close.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
Maybe but I’ve never seen a real manufacturer do that. Most people aren’t to play it safe. At this point I wouldn’t since you only get one shot with the deadline this close.
Agree.

If you absolutely need to abbreviate, I would shorten "West".
W. Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommonsense View Post
California is Sodom and Gomorrah on crack!
Want To Sell
Springfield Professional 1911
Samson 12" Handguard, AR15, Cerakote FDE
Old 06-23-2018, 12:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawker View Post
Engraving question.

Refer to the BATFE specifications.
Recognized abbreviations are acceptable.
N/S/E/W would be acceptable for cardinals, 2-letter state abbreviations, Jr/Sr/II/III/IV/etc for Junior, Senior, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc....

City abbreviations open up uncertainties... SB could be Santa Barbara, San Bernardino, San Benito, etc....
"W. Sacramento" would certainly be acceptable, "South Pass" would not fly for South Pasadena. Likewise "West Sac" or "W. Sac" would not be appropriate.

Is West Sacramento an actual city, or is it a CDP? Generally CDPs are not recognized as cities, such as El Cerrito is an actual city in the bay area, but there is also a CDP "El Cerrito" along the southern border of Corona, and it actually *is* Corona... served by their PD, Post Office, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:58 PM

Do you even have to put city for volreg prior to July 1? I don't see that you do. Just a serial should be sufficient.
Old 06-23-2018, 1:58 PM
Veteran Member

I have a dozen or so 80% blanks. All uncut.

What is the least amount of work to do to be in compliance? Serialization and volreg'd?

Do I have to cut them and place bullet buttons in them now? Stocks?

I'm going featureless on all, just trying to find the least costly way to be in compliance.
Old 06-23-2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
I have a dozen or so 80% blanks. All uncut.

What is the least amount of work to do to be in compliance? Serialization and volreg'd?

Do I have to cut them and place bullet buttons in them now? Stocks?

I'm going featureless on all, just trying to find the least costly way to be in compliance.
I don't think you can register a non functioning firearm.

At this point, I would just take it easy and apply for a serial number when you plan to cut the paperweight.
Old 06-23-2018, 2:19 PM

Technically it’s a gun as soon as you remove the slightest of material from the cavity or pin holes.
Old 06-23-2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Do I have to cut them and place bullet buttons in them now?
The Bullet Button ship sailed at midnight on Jan 1 2017.
There is no legal use or purpose for a Bullet Button on a post-2017 build.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 06-23-2018, 3:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
The Bullet Button ship sailed at midnight on Jan 1 2017.
There is no legal use or purpose for a Bullet Button on a post-2017 build.

So did featureless become regular mag release rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
So did featureless become regular mag release rifles?
Featureless builds have always been able to use regular magazine releases.
The bullet button allowed you to have features, but it was never required for a stripped lower.
Featured builds are still possible, but you need a 2017 compliant magazine catch.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2018, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

My question is...in order to register, what is the minimal amount of work and expense I have to incur?
Old 06-23-2018, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

ooops, wrong thread

Last edited by Hopi; 06-23-2018 at 8:02 PM..
Old 06-23-2018, 7:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My question is...in order to register, what is the minimal amount of work and expense I have to incur?
Complete the machining, engrave your own serial number (might as well engrave all the ATF recommended markings though), and register as frames/receivers prior to 7/1/18. You can do all of them in one transaction on the CFARS website. They don't need to be assembled and you do not have to submit photos.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 PM

Since I finally completed my last poly80 I'm about to register. I am so lost in what's legal and what isn't but in your guys humbles opinion would I run into issues if I register a pistol as a multi cal instead of lets say 25acp that inlander arm kit recommend?

Might be a recycled question but Id appreciate a answer