Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-01-2018, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I think so. Sure, there's a lot of misinformation and crap here but, it quickly gets straightened out. I originally thought this site was mainly a bunch of young kids but, once I started meeting other members, I changed my opinion fast. While there are yahoos here, they tend to hide behind their keyboards and get weeded out quickly.
Very true and is the case with most newsgroup based sites. It usually doesn't take much time to figure out who's who.
Old 02-01-2018, 9:51 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
While there are yahoos here, they tend to hide behind their keyboards and get weeded out quickly.
Hi! My name is baggss and I'm a yahoo....!
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 02-07-2018, 7:48 AM

Just finished my renewal and submitted the packet on 1/5/18 and it was approved around 1/31/18. Not a bad turn around, just waiting to hear back on scheduling my card pick up. Also, shout out to CSACANNONEER for a great renewal class!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by droberts88 View Post
Does anyone know exactly what is looked at when an app is submitted. I have reviewed the info on the vcso site but it is very general. I would prefer to clear any potential issues on my end prior to submitting. I have a ticket from 3 years ago and a couple blemishes on my credit report.
A single ticket shouldn't be an issue, unless that ticket involved a DUI or reckless driving deal. Speeding shouldn't be an issue. Make sure you provide as much info about the ticket as you can both on the app and during the interview. They seem to be looking for patterns, multiple tickets, things that show you are not a responsible individual. The phrase "excessive negative LEA interaction" is the best term I have found.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 02-07-2018, 4:21 PM

February 7th 2018- I received my letter from VCSO. I have been approved to move forward with the CCW Permit process. (The approval letter was dated on February 2nd)

So I have been looking into different courses, has anyone had any experience with these courses?

https://ccwtrainers.com/

or

http://triggerburst.com/ccw-training-firearm-simulator/

I am slightly weight towards trigger burst though. Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2018, 7:51 PM

Had a great time at Trigger Burst. You won’t be disappointed.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:12 PM

I went through Trigger Burst. I am extremely satisfied.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Island View offers a good course. Cost is about $300.

CSACANNONEER is also a certified instructor. I went through him for my renewal and several folks I work with went through him for their initial. I'll let him list his prices.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more70 View Post
I went through Trigger Burst. I am extremely satisfied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwbbi View Post
Had a great time at Trigger Burst. You won’t be disappointed.
Glad to hear you both enjoyed it. Im probably going to end up going to Trigger Burst.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post

CSACANNONEER is also a certified instructor. I went through him for my renewal and several folks I work with went through him for their initial. I'll let him list his prices.
Thanks for the other suggestion! Didn't even think about island view.
Old 03-01-2018, 4:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Shield 9mm

Quote:
BTW, 9mm Shields are VERY popular carry guns. They are inexpensive, reliable and carry very well. If you haven't shot one and want to try one, you're more than welcome to stop by and get a little trigger time with mine. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Good for you CSA. I have a lot of pistols,I guess I have a lot of rifles and shotguns as well. I told my wife a few years ago I was done buying guns. I had my eye on Shield 9mm and I coveted one. I discreetly told my wife I wanted to "just look" at this cool gun store when driving by going elsewhere. She went along with it suspecting nothing because I hadn't tryed to buy a gun in so long. Anyway we ambled by the case with Shields and I said "hey look at the size of that gun"!" It's like your J frame but holds 9rds"! She shyly reached for it and upon grasping it she smiled and the next thing you know she got it for Xmas. All laws were observed. How much was I manipulating her and how much was she rewarding me for being such a great husband. I too recommend this 9mm.
Old 03-03-2018, 8:53 AM

Hopefully Sheriff Dean's replacement will be Bill Ayub. Great guy, solid cop and has stated that he will continue with the CCW program as is.

www.805ccw.com

Old 03-03-2018, 10:46 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcheng86 View Post
wait, so the OC sherriff changed it back to good cause now?
Yes, OCs Self Defense = CG policy only lasted for a fairly short time.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Oh oh

Where does that leave us CCW's . ?
Old 03-03-2018, 4:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I charge $200 for the initial class with no up charges for qualifying with more than one gun during class or extra range fees.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 03-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

For those unaware, there is now a Ventura County CCW fb group. Feel free to look it up.

Old 03-06-2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
For those unaware, there is now a Ventura County CCW fb group. Feel free to look it up.
Thanks for mentioning this, I joined
Old 03-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmas View Post
Where does that leave us CCW's . ?
Your current permit is valid at least until the expiration date, assuming that the new Sheriff doesn't decide to revoke it for whatever reason.

Bill Ayub has publicly stated that he will continue the current VCSD CCW policy (it's on his web site), so likely we would see no change. Keep in mind that he is running for a political office so one can't completely rule out his being disingenuous, but I personally don't believe he is.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry if this has been covered.

After you turn in your initial application can you ever add a gun before the CCW is issued? I may go apply just wondering if I happen to get a gun mid-process if I could add it.
Old 03-23-2018, 7:52 PM

Ventura County CCW Timeline

Reporting my very fast timeline for CCW

12/08/2017 - Application Submitted (Live Scan Same Day)
01/12/2018 - Interview with Darryl Erickson
02/02/2018 - Approval Letter Sent
02/05/2018 - Approval Letter Received

***29 day delay*** (my search for specific gun to add to my permit)

03/06/2018 - Training Started (DROS delayed same day completion, add 6 more days)
03/12/2018 - Training Completed (Shot test for the final gun)
03/16/2018 - Training Certificate Received by Sheriff
03/19/2018 - Emailed Sheriff Office to Pick Up Hard Card
03/21/2018 - Sheriff Office Set Appt to Pick Up Permit
03/29/2018 - Picked Up Hard Card... ;o)

So excluding my 35 days to find, ppt & wait for my new gun to add to the permit (a G30) that's a total of 83 days start to finish... or 2 months & 3 weeks.

I'd say living in Ventura County has it's benefits!

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Personal Protection Inside/Outside the Home & CCW
Horse Creek Tactical - (573) 424-1568

FNX-45 Tactical, Beretta PX4 45-SD, Glock 30 Gen 4, Vaquero 44mag, CZ P07 40sw, Redhawk 357, CZ P10C Tactical, FN 509 Tactical, HK P30L v1 LEM, HK VP9SK LE

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Last edited by spudflyer; 04-16-2018 at 12:37 AM..
Old 03-27-2018, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashycrashy View Post
Sorry if this has been covered.

After you turn in your initial application can you ever add a gun before the CCW is issued? I may go apply just wondering if I happen to get a gun mid-process if I could add it.

Yea you can. I did. Just make sure you list it on your qualification paperwork or prior to final meeting. Need to qualify with it though.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Old 03-27-2018, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCmatt View Post
Yea you can. I did. Just make sure you list it on your qualification paperwork or prior to final meeting. Need to qualify with it though.
Thank you!
Old 03-27-2018, 3:19 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

So for those of you who have not been following, only 1 candidate for Ventura County Sherriff position was certified as of the deadline on 15 March. That candidate was Bill Ayub. His should be the only name for Sherriff on the ballot in June. Since he is running unopposed, he will be the next Sherriff of Ventura County, and the position will not be on the Nov ballot.

Once Sherriff Dean retires in the Nov timeframe, the winner of the election will likely be appointed by the county board as the "interim" Sherriff until the new term starts in Jan 2019.

Bill Ayub has publically stated that he will continue the current CCW licensing policy if elected.

https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/20...ice/422366002/

Last edited by baggss; 03-27-2018 at 3:24 PM..
Old 03-27-2018, 3:27 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Looks like Bill Ayub will be the only candidate for Ventura County Sherriff on the ballot in June.

Old 03-29-2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
So for those of you who have not been following, only 1 candidate for Ventura County Sherriff position was certified as of the deadline on 15 March. That candidate was Bill Ayub. His should be the only name for Sherriff on the ballot in June. Since he is running unopposed, he will be the next Sherriff of Ventura County, and the position will not be on the Nov ballot.

Once Sherriff Dean retires in the Nov timeframe, the winner of the election will likely be appointed by the county board as the "interim" Sherriff until the new term starts in Jan 2019.

Bill Ayub has publically stated that he will continue the current CCW licensing policy if elected.

Old 05-08-2018, 5:27 PM

So I heard that ventura is 18 and up for ccw, is this true? May need to move to ventura county asap
Old 05-09-2018, 6:58 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_5.0 View Post
So I heard that ventura is 18 and up for ccw, is this true? May need to move to ventura county asap
Not as of 16 April 2018. The Policy is here:

http://www.vcsd.org/pdf/CCW%20Applic...%204-16-18.pdf

Old 05-24-2018, 3:55 PM

Holy Smokes!
I vaguely remembered that I'd have to renew my CCW not earlier than 90 days before it expires, and when I just casually checked 2 days ago, I learned it's not earlier than 120 days, and not later than 90.

My 90 days would be hit coming Monday, which is a legal holiday, so I have my renewal application (plus 2 printed out packages, just in case) ready to submit tomorrow morning, on Friday. It's effectively the ONE and ONLY day I can do that without my CCW expiring!

My question is, how busy are they in the morning in Ventura as it's a first come, first serve situation now?
Should I be there before they open at 8:00 or what would you suggest?
Old 05-25-2018, 9:12 AM

Hardly ever a line... maybe one person. I dropped off my wife's application on 05/07... easy breezy. They are super fast on renewals too. My buddy just went through in under 45 days.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Personal Protection Inside/Outside the Home & CCW
Horse Creek Tactical - (573) 424-1568

FNX-45 Tactical, Beretta PX4 45-SD, Glock 30 Gen 4, Vaquero 44mag, CZ P07 40sw, Redhawk 357, CZ P10C Tactical, FN 509 Tactical, HK P30L v1 LEM, HK VP9SK LE

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Old 05-26-2018, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
Holy Smokes!
I vaguely remembered that I'd have to renew my CCW not earlier than 90 days before it expires, and when I just casually checked 2 days ago, I learned it's not earlier than 120 days, and not later than 90.

My 90 days would be hit coming Monday, which is a legal holiday, so I have my renewal application (plus 2 printed out packages, just in case) ready to submit tomorrow morning, on Friday. It's effectively the ONE and ONLY day I can do that without my CCW expiring!

My question is, how busy are they in the morning in Ventura as it's a first come, first serve situation now?
Should I be there before they open at 8:00 or what would you suggest?
I went in to drop off my application a few weeks ago on a Monday around 1pm. There was only one person ahead of me. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

Just waiting for my call to schedule the interview.
Old 06-01-2018, 6:04 PM

Started the process today! Dropped of app at VCSO. One guy ahead of me filling out renewal app at the window. Had mine all ready. took 5 minutes maybe. Funny thing is a guy came up for livescan at next window, with an appt. Sign says appointment only. I finished app while he's still there so I asked if I can go next. Answer: NO. Asked if I could make appt for next window after 'him'. NO. No body in the waiting area. Oh well.

Here we go!
Old 06-04-2018, 12:19 PM

Thanks, guys!
I was there at 7:45, number 4 in line. Smooth process, out a few minutes later.
Waiting for "the call" now.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:35 PM
CGN Contributor

Default Ventura County Renewal Process- PSA

TL;DR- Turn in your renewal 6 months before your permit expires.

Just turned in my renewal at the VCSO. On the application it says "no longer than 120 days and no less than 90 days from your expiration date. I'm at 99 days from expiration.

When I asked the clerk how long it would take,

she said "Renewals are taking about 4 months right now"

*blank stare from me*

Her- "Yeah you're probably not going to make it."

Me- "What am I supposed to do?"

Her- "You can't carry."

Me- "I don't mean to be rude, but it says right on the application 90-120 days. You guys might want to change that."

Her- "Yeah we got an influx of renewals so it's taking more like 4 months to get your phone interview, then you have to do training and wait for your appointment to come in and get your card. You're probably not going to make it."

I can't say I'm surprised, just once again disappointed by the absolute lack of organization when it comes to CCW here.

Yeah yeah I know I should be thankful I can get it at all given the state I'm in, but still.
Old 07-06-2018, 8:45 PM

How are recent apps coming along for everyone? I applied in early May and got my live scan turned in by mid May, 7 weeks and no phone call, only the email saying thanks for sending in the live scan.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

This is more for the people who have been denied. Has anyone been able to get a copy of their paperwork from the interview and a written reason for denial?

I am asking because the reason I was denied two years ago hasn't sat well with me. Especially since the reason has nothing to do with my moral character, but that is what is listed. According to the Capt. who handles these matters, when the reason doesn't fall under lack of good cause they have to put it somewhere so lack of moral character is the reason they list. I want to reapply but I would like to officially know why?
Old 07-08-2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area 52 View Post
How are recent apps coming along for everyone? I applied in early May and got my live scan turned in by mid May, 7 weeks and no phone call, only the email saying thanks for sending in the live scan.
I did my live scan in early June 2018 and the sheriff tech who fingerprinted me said it was three months before we should hear results of background investigation.
Old 07-08-2018, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

My background cleared quickly (there is an online link somewhere to check that) but my interview took 6 weeks. I was lucky though, others I know are going on 3 months without an interview.
Old 07-08-2018, 7:03 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashycrashy View Post
My background cleared quickly (there is an online link somewhere to check that) but my interview took 6 weeks. I was lucky though, others I know are going on 3 months without an interview.
Be happy.

I first applied in 2014 shortly after they started issuing. Took 8 months for an interview and I got my license 3 days short of the 1 year mark for dropping off the app (thats 11 Months and 27 days from App drop to issue).

Things have gotten WAAAAAY better.

Old 07-08-2018, 7:04 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Good info. I'll call in Oct and see what they say...

Old 07-12-2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area 52 View Post
I emailed them my Live Scan April 30th. Hadn't heard back so I sent them an email yesteday asking about the status per their website. Got a call today. Might try and do the same see if you have any luck.

On a side note has anyone interviewed with a detective Hardy before? If so experiences? Haven't seen his name mentioned in the thread before.