Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 08-21-2018, 4:12 AM

Default Remington Nylon 66

Just took my newly purchased Remington Nylon 66 .22lr rifle in Mohawk Brown that I purchased from Shootin Shack Guns in Elk Grove to the indoor shooting range,
The Gunroom.
I forgot how much fun it was to shoot .22's with this rifle.
Very happy that I purchase this to replace the one I owned 50+ years ago that was stolen from my camper years ago.
I also have a Remington Nylon 66 Black Apache with the chrome receiver.
Both are Fun shooters.
Anyone else have one?
Old 08-21-2018, 4:51 AM

My dad bought one from Gemco in the 70s. Must be at least 50,000 rounds through that thing. Last year, he brought it down to me. Went to the range and still as accurate as every. Took it home and cleaned it - dad never did. There was so much junk and sludge, but never a FTF or FTE. Great gun and not one that will ever be sold.
Old 08-21-2018, 5:10 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...light=nylon+66
Old 08-21-2018, 6:38 AM
Veteran Member

Great little guns. Don’t ever fully disassemble. A nightmare to put back together. Ask me how I know. That said it is a ton of fun to shoot.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It was a Christmas gift when I was a kid. It was my first .22 and it was stolen when I was a college student in a break-in. I loved that gun.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 08-21-2018, 1:23 PM

My mom got me one when I graduated from HS in 1979!
She bought it at a Kmart.
I hope to pass it down to any future grandchildren.
Old 08-21-2018, 2:47 PM

Beerman,
Nice link and read.
Thanks!
Old 08-21-2018, 3:00 PM

Really good friend has a couple, doesn’t take care of for $#!+ and they’ve got 40 years of surface rust and mild pitting. Never cleaned except with a bore swab. Always go bang.
Old 08-21-2018, 3:19 PM

I bought one earlier this year on calguns, have had a blast shooting it. What a great rifle for its age.
Old 08-21-2018, 3:32 PM

A Nylon 66 is on my short list of rifles to buy, just waiting for the right deal.
Old 08-21-2018, 3:47 PM

Damon1272...
Great little guns. Don’t ever fully disassemble. A nightmare to put back together. Ask me how I know. That said it is a ton of fun to shoot.

Thanks for the Heads-up on disassembling & cleaning.
Old 08-21-2018, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/

Here is some good info for your nylon 66.
Old 08-22-2018, 5:08 AM

Damon1272,
Thanks for the link.
Lots of info there.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:23 PM

I don't own a Nylon 66, but a friend of mine has one. Being an old wood and metal man at the time, I use to trash talk him when we were doing shooting about owning a "plastic gun". But I've seen him do some fun plinking with it and the synthetic stock was a forerunner of all synthetics used in firearms today. There use to be a marketing advertisement I think I saw many years ago of someone running over the rifle with a car ...I guess since a Nylon stock was such a novelty at the time, they wanted to show how tough the rifle was.

If you search "Remington Nylon 66" on YouTube, you'll find a lot of reviews and shooting videos on the rifle. The reviews all say good things about the rifle. Here are links below to a couple of videos for you Nylon 66 fans, evidently they are also collectible these days according to the author of the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYVrwoP7l14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7biL_tOwSg
Old 08-28-2018, 6:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loademup View Post
I don't own a Nylon 66, but a friend of mine has one. Being an old wood and metal man at the time, I use to trash talk him when we were doing shooting about owning a "plastic gun". But I've seen him do some fun plinking with it and the synthetic stock was a forerunner of all synthetics used in firearms today. There use to be a marketing advertisement I think I saw many years ago of someone running over the rifle with a car ...I guess since a Nylon stock was such a novelty at the time, they wanted to show how tough the rifle was.

If you search "Remington Nylon 66" on YouTube, you'll find a lot of reviews and shooting videos on the rifle. The reviews all say good things about the rifle. Here are links below to a couple of videos for you Nylon 66 fans, evidently they are also collectible these days according to the author of the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYVrwoP7l14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7biL_tOwSg
Yes VERY collectable for those that are in the know. I'm happy with my Mohawk Brown though.
Old 08-29-2018, 5:56 AM
Calguns Addict

This thread encouraged me to research this rifle a little since I have no experience with the Nylon 66. The internal parts ride on rails of Nylon.

One of the best features of the Nylon 66 is that it doesn’t need oil. Remington went as far as telling customers NOT to lubricate the Nylon’s action at all:

"Nylon is self-lubricating and provides slip-smooth bearing surfaces for the free movement of the autoloading action. Therefore, cleaning and oiling is UNNECESSARY for thousands of rounds of firing." Remington quote.

Has this indeed been owners' experience?
Old 08-29-2018, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
This thread encouraged me to research this rifle a little since I have no experience with the Nylon 66. The internal parts ride on rails of Nylon.

One of the best features of the Nylon 66 is that it doesn’t need oil. Remington went as far as telling customers NOT to lubricate the Nylon’s action at all:

"Nylon is self-lubricating and provides slip-smooth bearing surfaces for the free movement of the autoloading action. Therefore, cleaning and oiling is UNNECESSARY for thousands of rounds of firing." Remington quote.

Has this indeed been owners' experience?
I usually just run a bore snake through mine after shooting.

I had one from an Estate sale that probably never had been cleaned from what I found when I took the receiver cover off OMG, never have seen THAT much powder residue and crap in firearm! Cleaned reassembled and shot fine, probably was shooting fine before I got it anyway.
A fellow worker has had one since the 1960's and has never disassembled it to clean and it still works fine according to him.

The receiver covers frequently show pitting and finish wear, you'll see them parkerized to try and cover the pitting. That's the first thing I look at, won't buy a pitted or refinished one.
Old 08-29-2018, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Aghauler is right. My Apache was handed down to me as it was one of 2 family 66s pops bought in the early60s. us kids must have put 20 bricks thru these guns...When I got it, it had sat for years so I decided to disassemble & clean it. Holy crap, I still cant believe it functioned with that muck residue and old wax in the action.
Check out this testimate to the 66 reliability...http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/2013/0...mous-nylon-66/
Old 08-29-2018, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Careful I cleaned the family hand me down 66 and now it doesn't cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 08-29-2018, 3:45 PM

My buddy’s pair of Nylon 66’s haven’t been cleaned since the 80’s, other than the bore. He shoots the cheapest ammo he can find. They never fail. Not tack drivers, 2.5-3 inch spread @ 50 yards.
Old 09-08-2018, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

My Dad bought me one when I was young. Because of its stock, my mother thought it was a toy gun. We fooled her.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:50 AM

Good thread, always makes me nostalgic. Dad got me a 522 Viper from Walmart when I was... 12? Think I'll take it out soon. I just remembered I lost the rear sight and screws when I put some POS 4-12x scope only a fifteen year old would buy on it. I just ordered a replacement sight and screws for forty bucks which was probably more than I paid for that scope haha.
Old 09-08-2018, 9:19 PM

I bought one from a Calgunner a few years back. I’ve wanted one since I was a kid and saw an ad where the guy was standing near a pile of wood blocks. The ad said something to the effect of “he shot 1000 wood blocks in the air without missing”. Something like that.

Anyhow, this little rifle is super fun to shoot.
Old 09-08-2018, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

Wonder if it actually was the first "plastic" rifle? I saw my first one in 1959-60 in Watsonville, CA.
Old 10-16-2018, 9:11 PM

What a fun little gun. My father gave mine when I was 13. It went to college with me. Now 42 years later. My two daughters both want it. That's what they learned to shoot with. Lots of rounds have gone through it.
Old 10-17-2018, 2:01 PM

Thank you Everyone,
For sharing your memories
And experiences with the Remington Nylon 66.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
I usually just run a bore snake through mine after shooting.

I had one from an Estate sale that probably never had been cleaned from what I found when I took the receiver cover off OMG, never have seen THAT much powder residue and crap in firearm! Cleaned reassembled and shot fine, probably was shooting fine before I got it anyway.
A fellow worker has had one since the 1960's and has never disassembled it to clean and it still works fine according to him.

The receiver covers frequently show pitting and finish wear, you'll see them parkerized to try and cover the pitting. That's the first thing I look at, won't buy a pitted or refinished one.
I have a feeling the parkerized finish on some may have been factory toward the end of the production run but I have never fully researced that. I do believe was first mainly plastic rifle.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk556 View Post
Good thread, always makes me nostalgic. Dad got me a 522 Viper from Walmart when I was... 12? Think I'll take it out soon. I just remembered I lost the rear sight and screws when I put some POS 4-12x scope only a fifteen year old would buy on it. I just ordered a replacement sight and screws for forty bucks which was probably more than I paid for that scope haha.
Wait until you price spare magazines for a Viper.
Old 10-18-2018, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I have a feeling the parkerized finish on some may have been factory toward the end of the production run but I have never fully researced that. I do believe was first mainly plastic rifle.
Possibly but they wouldn't have pitted the cover then parked it
All the covers I've seen over the years that were parked had pitting underneath.

Was in Cabela's here in ABQ, NM today.

They had a Mohawk Brown Nylon 66, price hold on.....$599!!!!!!

I thought that was pretty optimistic!

A P14 $799!!!!!

Only two C&R rifles I saw.
Old 10-18-2018, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
Possibly but they wouldn't have pitted the cover then parked it
All the covers I've seen over the years that were parked had pitting underneath.

Was in Cabela's here in ABQ, NM today.

They had a Mohawk Brown Nylon 66, price hold on.....$599!!!!!!

I thought that was pretty optimistic!

A P14 $799!!!!!

Only two C&R rifles I saw.
A common thing I see from those that have left CA for free states with smaller populations is that they have better gun rights but even with no roster or other CA laws the pricing and selection on used guns can be quite poor.

CA has a huge population so I still find a lot of interesting guns as people die off and their heirs dump them off. Still hard to pull off but I amaze myself sometimes with what I find when I put in the work.
Old 10-19-2018, 5:24 AM
Veteran Member

I sold my Black Apache chrome and have regretted it ever since. I'd like to find another as well as a Mossberg 46b .22.
Old 10-19-2018, 6:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
A common thing I see from those that have left CA for free states with smaller populations is that they have better gun rights but even with no roster or other CA laws the pricing and selection on used guns can be quite poor.

CA has a huge population so I still find a lot of interesting guns as people die off and their heirs dump them off. Still hard to pull off but I amaze myself sometimes with what I find when I put in the work.
I agree, from what I've seen here and traveling there are no real "deals" on pricing, only availability. With the advent of the internet EVERYONE knows where the pricing is, unless they don't do any research. Not like the old days when the you waited for the GUN LIST or the "real" Shotgun News to show up to see what was available and where the prices were!

LGS here (I visit just to laugh at pricing) heavy into C&R's, antiques and modern, NO real decent prices on C&R's, they have a back room FULL of Antiques and their employee break room is walled with Winchesters! They sell AR's of all kinds at $500, 3 racks full take yer pick! Badly pitted SKS's $400+.
Old 10-19-2018, 6:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
I sold my Black Apache chrome and have regretted it ever since. I'd like to find another as well as a Mossberg 46b .22.

Small LGS had a Black Apache Chrome fer $400 but wasn't in real good condition.
Old 10-19-2018, 2:56 PM

I got my first Nylon 66 for Christmas in 1961. Sweet gun but it got stolen out of my closet in college. I now have two Mohawk Brown 66's, one made in '59 and one in '68. I take one along with me when shooting ground squirrels (rats) in eastern Oregon. When my .223 gets hot I switch to the Nylon 66 and blast away.
Old 10-19-2018, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I've had many of the variants over the years including the rarest length bolt action and I have a Seneca green and a Apache Black and a Black Diamond still.

Never did get a gallery special, got close once. Had a lever action but it was in poor shape. Only lever action repeater ever made by Remington. I've never seen the smoothbore in person.
Old 10-21-2018, 6:05 AM

It was one I was always hoping to replace from my youth also. They have gotten so ridiculously priced in the last ten years however, that I have not done it yet.

They are starting to come down alot in my area now though. Just need to find one for sale from a estate or something at a reasonable price.

I do remember one thing about mine. Funny thing is not even Remingtons crappy ammo brand would work well in their own Firearm. I think they themselves even recommended against Remington brand ammo,LOL

I did have one of the rarest Nylon Models made about 10 years back. Model 10. It was a single shot Bolt Gun. Paid a 100.00 at a Garbage Sale. Guy on a Remington Forum I put it on to learn about it, offered me 800.00 for it, so I never even had a chance to Fire it.
Old 10-21-2018, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR22 View Post
It was one I was always hoping to replace from my youth also. They have gotten so ridiculously priced in the last ten years however, that I have not done it yet.

They are starting to come down alot in my area now though. Just need to find one for sale from a estate or something at a reasonable price.

I do remember one thing about mine. Funny thing is not even Remingtons crappy ammo brand would work well in their own Firearm. I think they themselves even recommended against Remington brand ammo,LOL

I did have one of the rarest Nylon Models made about 10 years back. Model 10. It was a single shot Bolt Gun. Paid a 100.00 at a Garbage Sale. Guy on a Remington Forum I put it on to learn about it, offered me 800.00 for it, so I never even had a chance to Fire it.
You can't find a standard Mohawk Brown Nylon 66 for $200-300? What are you willing to pay? If I really wanted one I wouldn't let $50 or so hold me back. I have been seeing less of them but brown ones are still out there and available here and there without resorting to online purchases. They made about a million of them.

Good catch on the single shot I don't think I've ever seen one more than one or two times if that in person.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You can't find a standard Mohawk Brown Nylon 66 for $200-300? I have been seeing less of them but brown ones are still out there and available here and there without resorting to online purchases. They made about a million of them.
I picked up a mag fed 66 missing the bolt handle & mag for a hunnerd bucks a while back. The handle and 4 mags were about $75. It too was filthy, but runs good now. I'm happy. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Last edited by echo1; 10-28-2018 at 8:55 AM..
Old 10-28-2018, 5:23 AM
Banned

I always lusted for the black diamond that I saw for sale as a kid in a local Gemco. I finally found one at the Bakersfield gun show years ago. I got it for $100 otd from that ammo dealer Dixie. Cool guy.
Old 11-06-2018, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Probably 30+ years ago, I traded a used pocket knife for a well-used Nylon 66---by well-used, I mean the little rifle had been fired about a million rounds with little to no cleaning---still, it shot just fine---right to point of aim with most bulk HV ammo, but the trigger pull was hard and the front edge of the trigger was sharp (I fixed that). Well, I got JB Wood's book on taking apart 22 rifles and proceeded to take it apart for cleaning---never again---a bunch of tiny springs and such---a real pain in the arse to put back together as well! The rifle was slim and lightweight, and despite my cleaning and reassembly, it continued to function just fine.
One day my long-time shooting buddy (RIP) came to me and wanted to buy this rifle---he explained that it was the only rifle his wife could hold-up and shoot because she was injured in a car crash---they were moving to SW Texas and he explained that this would be a huge favor to him---as these rifles were not collectable at that time, I sold him the Nylon 66 for a reasonable price and his widow still shoots it to this day.
I had two other 22 rifles---an older Ruger 10-22 Deluxe Sporter and a Belgium made 22 Auto from the early 60s, I didn't feel like I was lacking in 22 rifles, but, the Nylon 66 had been my "teaching" gun to start people off on shooting and I started to miss it. I looked around and suddenly Nylon 66s were "collector" items demanding really high prices---especially for a nice example. I stopped thinking about getting another one until one day at my club range, an older gentleman approached me and said he was selling off a few of his guns as he said he had far too many---and there it was---a near perfect Mohawk brown 66 in 99% percent condition---he was quite reasonable about the price, and I still have it---it shoots right to point of aim with most HV ammo and runs 100%---it's my wife's favorite gun, and one of my favorites as well---it ain't goin' nowhere...