Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 04-30-2018, 8:01 AM

Default Over training and reaching for a thousand

TLDR version: Overtraining in any activity is bad. 1.5 min at 1000y isn’t bad. 1 min at 1000y isn’t as bad as you think. 1/2 min at 1000y eluded me.

Wall o’ Text: Last month I had the oppertunity to shoot in Sig’s “Reach for a thousand” course. It’s a course I’ve been trying to get into for a while, but the stars kept refusing to align for me. They did and with a weeks notice, I started to prepare for it.

Equipment: Remington 700 PSS with 26” barrel, harris bipod, shooting Serria Match King 175grain with a Leupold Mark 4 M3 scope.

I swapped my barrel back to my 26”, because I was worried that my 18” with the 9” can wouldn’t have the oooomph to make it.

My regular range only has targets out to 200y, so I spent Monday through Thursday shooting every afternoon, rain, snow, or shine play games at the 100y and 200y lines.

Keeping in mind I normally only shoot twenty or thirty rounds a session with this rifle, and most of those are suppressed with a lighter bullet weight (150 and 168 usually). Those sessions are usually a couple of months apart as well.

So suddenly shooting more and heavier round out of a longer barrel was quite a shock to my system.

For the first three days (150 rounds) my groups were tight and I was on the money. Hell I was hitting price tags (1”x1.5” rectangles) fluttering in the breeze at 200y four out of five times on Wednesday. Each day though, I’d go home and end up icing the shoulder and admiring the growing bruise on my collar bone.

I should have stopped at this point. Take Thursday and Friday off, but I was paying $300 to shoot at Sig and I was going to be ready. So I pushed through Thursday (walk up drills) and Friday (cheap dollar store shaving cream cans and ballons). My round count was at 500 even, leaving me 300 for the big day.

Looking at my DOPE I see a trend starting on Thrusday afternoon, where I was getting more and more fliers to the left and low (3 mins left and 2 mins low) at both 100y and 200y. At the time I dismissed them as one offs, put them out of my mind and continued to shoot. I know better know.

Anyway, the big day came, I showed up at the range and we went to work. We confirmed zeros at 100y. My first zero attempt was a good group (three touching in a pyramid with the other two touching and 1/4 high) but four minutes to the left.

Made my adjustments, a good group of four, half a minute to the left and half a minute high with one flyer at five minutes left and three miutes low.

Made another adjustment right and had a good group of five, half a minute high.

Spent another ten rounds trying to figure out the hold under for that half a minute (scope elevation adjustments are full minutes) before calling it good.

We moved to the 200y line, shot another confirmation group, which I shot twice because my first group had two flyers.

The 200y line is also the 550y line so we did some engagements against e-type steel targets and playing the head game (6” white swinger on some fo the e-types, you’d shoot it, the guy in the lane next to you would try and flip it back) and I went 20 for 20.

We broke for lunch and moved back to the 300y line and shot at steel e-type targets and 12” plates at 650y, checking our adjustments at each range. Everything was fine here. I had the occiasional miss, but still fewer than most of the other folks on the line.

Then we moved back to the 1k line (which is also the 750), where we confirmed our come ups and played the head swinger game and shot at the 12” plates again.

It was here I started missing as much as I was hitting.

Then we moved on to the 1k, which was a 24”x24” square gong with a 10”x10” white square painted on it.

I spent twenty rounds chasing that white square. Low left, High left, off the target completely, my DOPE is a mess.

At this point, the instructor took pity on me, and even though this wasn’t an instructional course sat down to watch and try and figure out why my shooting suddenly went to hell.

What he found was I was starting to flinch rather badly. As I was pulling the trigger, I was pushing my right shoulder forward, loading up the bipod and then wincing right before the rifle went boom.

He had me switch to left handed shooting and ten rounds later (after I’d figured out the eye relief and the holds) I was nailing that white square.

I feel pretty good about that actually.

I moved on and did a few more rounds on the e-types, and the 12” gong. Never did get the head swingers (6” at 1K with 10x and 44 year old eyes with my non-dominant eye and a patchy snowy background was beyond me).

“Let him who has no gun sell his robe and buy one” Gospel According to SGT Kane 22:36
Old 05-01-2018, 4:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good deal, Sounds like you need more weight on that rifle. or a better brake or both. My rifle runs 12 pounds no brake but I have a mercury recoil suppressor mounted on it. tames the recoil down to a heavy .223. as in nearly nothing. But I'm also a poor example of recoil testing cause I kinda enjoy recoil. I've shot a Cheytac with no brake and I'm working on a .416 Rigby that will not have a Brake either.
Old 05-01-2018, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Would a simple strap on puss pad have done the trick?

I used a PAST recoil pad a couple of weeks ago when I took a shotgun class. I shot over 500 rounds, mostly buck and slugs, with nary a bruise or any soreness at all.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018, 7:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Would a simple strap on puss pad have done the trick?

I used a PAST recoil pad a couple of weeks ago when I took a shotgun class. I shot over 500 rounds, mostly buck and slugs, with nary a bruise or any soreness at all.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I think it’s more he’s not used to the recoil, a supressor knocks the recoil down to nothing. I feel pretty privileged to have supressor experiences shot inside this state.

Last edited by kcstott; 05-01-2018 at 8:01 AM..
Old 05-02-2018, 11:23 AM

Sounds like you had a hell of a week.

A 6" target at 1K is very small indeed. EVERYTHING has to be perfect to hit a target that size with any consistency. (Gun, Bullet, Load, Wind Reading Skills)

Oh, and brakes are your friend.
Old 05-02-2018, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

Swap to a softer recoil pad for now. Then invest in a better fitting stock. I switched from a B&C to my KRG and the recoil dropped a considerable amount just from that.

Other than that it sounds like a great week and you've learned some valuable information.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:30 AM

It was a great week, and for all my grumlbing it was a great day at the range. I just wasn’t used to the recoil. I have ordered a Remington Super Cell recoil pad for the 700, and hopefully I’ll be able to get out with it this weekend. Only to 200y, but hey, can’t shoot 1K everyday...

I also think I need to work on my prone position, with the supressor eating up the recoil, I’ve gone super low to the ground meaning the butt isn’t in my shoulder pocket as deeply as it should be. Which is fine, when shooting a 556 or a supressed 726, but really sucks after a couple of days shooting anything else.
Old 05-03-2018, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTKane View Post
It was a great week, and for all my grumlbing it was a great day at the range. I just wasn’t used to the recoil. I have ordered a Remington Super Cell recoil pad for the 700, and hopefully I’ll be able to get out with it this weekend. Only to 200y, but hey, can’t shoot 1K everyday...

I also think I need to work on my prone position, with the supressor eating up the recoil, I’ve gone super low to the ground meaning the butt isn’t in my shoulder pocket as deeply as it should be. Which is fine, when shooting a 556 or a supressed 726, but really sucks after a couple of days shooting anything else.
Wait till you see how far off the ground you need to be to get that butt in your shoulder. you're going to need a good 4-5" under the stock to get it in the pocket, you may need to adjust your cheek riser too. shooting that low is not conducive to good accuracy Suppressed or not
Old 05-04-2018, 6:31 AM

I set up for dry fires and range estimation drills last night off my back deck (nice not having neigbors for a mile), and yeah, I felt like I was in a Cobra yoga pose and was almost at the top of my biopod legs in order to get the same pocket I have when kneeling, sitting, or standing.
Old 05-06-2018, 9:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTKane View Post
I set up for dry fires and range estimation drills last night off my back deck (nice not having neigbors for a mile), and yeah, I felt like I was in a Cobra yoga pose and was almost at the top of my biopod legs in order to get the same pocket I have when kneeling, sitting, or standing.
Usually adds up to about four inches under the butt stock. With a level gun that puts the fore arm about nine inches off the deck. Be advised you will most likely need to drop your cheek riser if you use one

I shoot with a 1” spacer under my rear bag and that put it at 5” and about 10-11” at the forearm. But I’m comfortable to the point I could fall asleep on the rifle.