Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 07-03-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Professional scope mounting recommendation San Diego

Hi, not sure if Iím in the right thread, but I am looking for a recommendation in the San Diego area to mount my new scope properly for me. This is my first setup for long range and I want it done right. My setup is a Remington 700P with a Vortex 5-25x50 PST Gen II Viper, nightforce rings. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2018, 3:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I can but not for a little while due to the day job. It would be third week of July before I could even think of it.
Old 07-04-2018, 3:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
I can but not for a little while due to the day job. It would be third week of July before I could even think of it.
My advice based on how helpful this curmudgeon is to newcomers, wait for a gap in this mans schedule. For some reason, he is very free with his knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 07-05-2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
helpful curmudgeon
That is a spot-on description.
Old 07-05-2018, 4:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Old 08-03-2018, 8:16 PM

Take a class with Max Ordinate Academy it will change your life
Old 08-03-2018, 9:23 PM

Buy yourself some scope levels and a torque driver and call it a day. Level the rifle on the bipod or whatever then mount the rings a little more than hand tight. Mount scope on rings and start the top ring mount just light hand tight. Either prone or put it on table and get into position and move scope till eye relief is what you want then tighten making sure it's still level. Torque everything down. The 2 things you just bought will help with all your rifles, especially the torque driver. Do it yourself.
Old 08-03-2018, 9:28 PM

Unless you went super cheap on the rings...lapping is prob not needed. Burris XTR SIGNATURE rings are great. Even have off set inserts for added MOA if you need it.
Old 08-05-2018, 5:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
Unless you went super cheap on the rings...lapping is prob not needed. Burris XTR SIGNATURE rings are great. Even have off set inserts for added MOA if you need it.
Thinking that the quality of the rings is the only reason to lap or not to lap is a huge mistake. Rings add their tolerance variations to the variation in the mount and the variations in the action. To assume it is ring quality alone is a very bad idea.

Although I do agree buy a level and torque wrench and DIY. I bought CDI/Snap on wrenches years ago 10-50 in/lbs and 20-150 in/lbs

I can not recommend any product that is sold for the gun industry. If the company can't provide a certificate of traceability to NIST you really should think about what you are buying and what you are trying to do. CDI torque wrenches are brand new in the box with certs for around $80 each if you look. even at $100 they are worth every penny.
Old 08-05-2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
CDI torque wrenches are brand new in the box with certs for around $80 each if you look. even at $100 they are worth every penny.
While I agree that must "gunsmith tools" are (maybe) Craftsman quality re-packaged/re-labeled at Snap-On pricepoints, how rigorous is the need for accuracy when tightening scopes, trigger guards, and bedding screws? The biggest problem with most hobbyists installing scopes is their reliance on their Mk1 Mod0 monkey fist tightening the screws. Even a Craftsman inch-pound torque wrench is better than ham-handed screwdrivers. Just a discussion since I am fully aware of your profession and the need for reliability in your tools.
Old 08-05-2018, 7:46 PM

You tube is your friend, or you can come up to Orange County and I can mount it in 15 minutes.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 08-05-2018, 9:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
While I agree that must "gunsmith tools" are (maybe) Craftsman quality re-packaged/re-labeled at Snap-On pricepoints, how rigorous is the need for accuracy when tightening scopes, trigger guards, and bedding screws? The biggest problem with most hobbyists installing scopes is their reliance on their Mk1 Mod0 monkey fist tightening the screws. Even a Craftsman inch-pound torque wrench is better than ham-handed screwdrivers. Just a discussion since I am fully aware of your profession and the need for reliability in your tools.
I completely agree, The biggest issue is over torquing, 5-40's 6-48's ad 8-40's don't need anywhere near what most guys put on them. the key is look up the spec and stick to it. and yeah Harbor freight would be better then nothing, I just wanted something I can get calibrated and have a cert issued. For me it's just one more thing i don't have to question. and they are treated like Test indicators.

Last edited by kcstott; 08-05-2018 at 9:45 PM..
Old 08-05-2018, 9:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogger View Post
Hi, not sure if Iím in the right thread, but I am looking for a recommendation in the San Diego area to mount my new scope properly for me. This is my first setup for long range and I want it done right. My setup is a Remington 700P with a Vortex 5-25x50 PST Gen II Viper, nightforce rings. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
John at Accurate Arms in Escondido will take care of you.