Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizFyrFyter View Post
Nope.

"it's just" DLP SLA with clear resin.

I'm not convinced an FDM printer exists that's capable of this detail, the base of this model is the size of a dime.
FDM will never win any resolution wars, although it's layer height where FDM really gets creamed.

If you aren't familiar, though, do note that many if not most of the gooey technologies tend to yield brittle parts.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Got a family members Prusa Mendel project to finish that has been on a shelf for a few years.
Ive got 2 of them right now. One of these days I'll manage to find the time to actually finish one.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 05-02-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Did something crawl up your *** and die?
No, you just bought a machine that surely rides freely on the hard work of American engineers. Do you feel even a bit regretful about that?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Aallday View Post
No, you just bought a machine that surely rides freely on the hard work of American engineers. Do you feel even a bit regretful about that?
Do you think about Germans that made the first cars every time to leave the house? If you aren't going to do anything but ***** about expired patents, I invite you to leave.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Ive got 2 of them right now. One of these days I'll manage to find the time to actually finish one.
I havent made any progress on it since then. Almost done building the d-bot printer but I got distracted with the sla machine.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Do you think about Germans that made the first cars every time to leave the house? If you aren't going to do anything but ***** about expired patents, I invite you to leave.
I highly doubt all of the relevant IP is expired. I just find it amusing that for all of the buy American rahrah around here, people still can't resist cheap Chinese crap. I really wish the copycats would get their due (seizing shipments, destroying goods,) but it'll never happen. Enforcing IP would basically be viewed as an act of war by China.
Old 05-03-2017, 9:35 AM

Quote:
I highly doubt all of the relevant IP is expired. I just find it amusing that for all of the buy American rahrah around here, people still can't resist cheap Chinese crap. I really wish the copycats would get their due (seizing shipments, destroying goods,) but it'll never happen. Enforcing IP would basically be viewed as an act of war by China.
The patents for the FDM printing process expired in 2009 and the patents for the SLA printing and SLS printing processes expired in 2015. This brought the price of 3d printing technologies down from over $10k to under $1k allowing small businesses (even the American ones) to lower their prototyping costs, often owning their own equipment for it. And guess what, there are many US companies building desktop printers and many companies that are making quality materials for them.

I am almost finished with my own 3d printer that's built from open source plans and US sourced materials at a 35% cost increase over chinesium.

Do yourself a favor and find the truth about something before you try to insult someone for their hobbies. I would expect someone on calguns would understand this better than most.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and find the truth about something before you try to insult someone for their hobbies. I would expect someone on calguns would understand this better than most.
How long have you been here? That happens all the time.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 05-03-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
How long have you been here? That happens all the time.
Lol. I've been gone for a long time, I must have forgotten
Old 05-03-2017, 6:54 PM

Quote:
The patents for the FDM printing process expired in 2009 and the patents for the SLA printing and SLS printing processes expired in 2015. This brought the price of 3d printing technologies down from over $10k to under $1k allowing small businesses (even the American ones) to lower their prototyping costs, often owning their own equipment for it. And guess what, there are many US companies building desktop printers and many companies that are making quality materials for them.

I am almost finished with my own 3d printer that's built from open source plans and US sourced materials at a 35% cost increase over chinesium.

"The" patents, as if there are a few patents that describe any 3D printing technology exhaustively. No, obviously it's a pile of IP with a huge spread of filing dates, on everything from motion control, to heating elements that don't eat themselves. Actually, it would probably be impossible to do anything useful in this area without stepping on somebody's toes.

It's interesting that you see this as me insulting your hobbies. I'm pretty clearly not. I just disapprove of the Wanhao.
Old 05-03-2017, 7:04 PM

Wanhao is using the same technology that dozens of US based companies are as well. And by your admittance, all Cartesian printers are blatant rip offs of someone's IP but it's only the Chinese suppliers that bother you.

Your logic doesn't add up.
Old 06-05-2017, 9:04 PM

So I finally picked up an anet A8, it should be here tomorrow. I also got the auto level sensor and a few other upgrades. my question now is which print head is best for this printer. I have seen a dozen or so on amazon and youtube which all claim to be the best but what have others here had success with?

"wildhawker
People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."
Old 10-06-2020, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

Any input on this model ?? Looking to buy my first.one..

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30993

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 10-06-2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
Any input on this model ?? Looking to buy my first.one..

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30993

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I would definitely not recommend that as a first printer. When delta printers work, they can be amazing, but when something goes wrong, its a new level of nightmare to fix. The big issue is that - on a reprap/i3/cartessian style printer you can adjust each axis independently. On a delta, each axis is controlled by all 3 stepper motors.

You also cannot use a direct drive system as the added weight is too much for most carriages - so you'll be limited in material options to stiffer materials - no nylon, TPU/TPE, and so on.

Monoprice does have a sub $200 delta which is a great little unit and it arrives ready to print out of the box more or less. I'd recommend that guy from Monoprice - the rest of their lineup hasn't aged too well.

If you want to get your feet wet, it's hard to beat the Ender 3 for $200 at Micro Center in Orange County.
Old 10-06-2020, 3:30 PM

Anybody ever 3D printed a dickasaurus?
Old 10-06-2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
so taking the dive into 3D Printer, looking at a ALUNAR Reprap Prusa i3 Kit and looking for folks that are already printing advice on this kit as to if its worth the $ as a starter kit?

do not really want to hunt down all the parts to piece my own kit together so at sub 300 the price looks right to me , any add ons/upgrades i should look at right off the bat ?

any software advice on slicers and or editing tools ?

This print bed is too small, i would get one from ebay with larger print bed. it should be around 300ish nowadays.

Depend on you software skill, you can use basic thinkercad for modeling and cura 3d for printing.
i personally use rhino or sketchup.
Old 10-06-2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
People are hypocrites, I doubt anybody dont own any Chinese made products in their house hold.
Old 10-06-2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpan View Post
People are hypocrites, I doubt anybody dont own any Chinese made products in their house hold.
Amen. People will ***** about Chinese things then go buy another Ryobi or Milwaukee drill while using an iPhone in an otterbox case.

If you want to drop $600 on a made in germany 1/2" hammer drill, then go nuts. Even DeWalt's "made in america" stuff is just screwed together, all the subassemblies are still Chinese.
Old 10-06-2020, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpan View Post
This print bed is too small, i would get one from ebay with larger print bed. it should be around 300ish nowadays.

Depend on you software skill, you can use basic thinkercad for modeling and cura 3d for printing.
i personally use rhino or sketchup.
took the plunge some time ago with a ender 3 that i upgraded the piss out of them picked up a solvol sv01 and never been happier been printing for a couple of years now