Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Ventura Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 5:14 PM

Default What can I expect from the V.C. Gun show

I believe there is a gun show scheduled for next month at the Ventura fairgrounds. I've never been to one and don't know anyone that has. What can I expect if I go. I'd be looking for a decent deal on an AR15 type and a pistol like a springfield XDM or a 1911. I heard somewhere you sit in a line for 6 hours to get in ect. Do I pick the gun up there or do I have to get it shipped to a FFL and 10 day wait? Is there any good deals or is more of just a "everyone come here this day" type thing? Used and new? Crappy worn out guns?

I seriously hove no idea what these things are about. Should I just go to a local shop or is a gun show worth it?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 01-22-2013, 6:06 PM
Veteran Member

They used to be fun, good to pick up ammo and some rare parts and mag kits. Honestly I wouldn't bother going to this one, wait til the madness dies down a bit. Most of the good stuff will be gone before most can even get inside.
Old 01-22-2013, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

If you're looking to buy a gun around Ventura, check out island view enterprises
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

I have not been to a gun show since this panic hit, but I would say it is a safe bet to expect long lines, overpriced everything and just a ton of people.

That said, please do not believe what the gun grabbers are spewing. You still have to have a background check, wait 10 days and pay DROS, etc. It gets a bit more complicated if you buy from a non-local vendor.

Don't expect to find anything, just show up and get what you get. Welcome to California gun shows.

Last edited by TacticalPlinker; 01-22-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 7:19 AM

who are the sponsor for this gun show? Is it the Crossroad of the west? What date and time? I heard Crossroad of the west is the best when it comes to gun show. Its a lot more different from the other sponsors.
Old 01-23-2013, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

I think it is a crossroads show, but again, now is not the time to go to one..
Old 01-23-2013, 6:16 PM

I've been to the Ventura fairgrounds show a couple of times, and I went to the most recent show this month... never have I seen the place so packed and the selection so limited! Pulling into the almost-full parking lot was a strange experience.

Normally I could say you'll find all kinds of goodies there, but with panic season in full swing don't expect to see any great deals on ARs... or even any ARs at all. This month I saw several lowers, some at reasonable prices (like $129 for a stripped lower, which can range between $350-500 in the calguns marketplace now), but those all sold very quickly. Where in previous years I'd seen lots of AR and AK variants, this time I mostly saw "old-timey" rifles and shotguns. Those are still cool to be sure, but don't expect a plethora of modern weapons. I think the only complete AR I saw for sale was from a private seller walking around with the gun on his back and a little sign on it saying to make an offer.

You can probably find a good deal on a 1911, but I don't think you'll find one cheaper than in any normal gun store on an average day (I wasn't really looking at those to be honest). The Springfield XDM is off-roster last I checked, so you will not find FFL vendors selling those. Disregard media talking points, every gun law that applies to FFLs in CA applies equally inside a gun show, there are no special loopholes!

Unless it's a C&R, you can not walk out with any guns you buy that day. When you buy a gun at the show, many vendors have their own local shops where you can pick the gun up after 10 days have elapsed. Vendors that aren't local can ship to any FFL (usual fees apply). Alternatively, some vendors offer to hold your gun until the next show where you can pick it up then (in about a month or so) to avoid transfer fees.

There were many long, long lines. I never saw any 6 hour lines, but people waited 30-40 minutes to pick up an AR lower, and the Miwall ammo line went out the building! While many vendor ammo prices were quite inflated, the Miwall ammo remained more or less reasonable. I was able to pick up 1000 rounds of 7.62x39mm for ~$250, which wasn't too bad considering it's hard to find anywhere else.

Is it worth going? Eh, yeah. While it's definitely not as "worth it" as normal, I'd still say it's worth checking out, especially if you've never been to a gun show before. There are lots of interesting and friendly people to chat with (all sharing your same passion), there are some rather cool firearms for sale on display (just not modern), a good range of accessories (everything from holsters to knives, little military figurines, etc.) and ammo is actually available - which is more than can be said for many locations. However, you have to get there early on the first day, because the good stuff WILL go fast. Also, Calguns is going to have a booth there (I think) next month, so you can volunteer!

Meanwhile it's definitely worth checking out local gun shops such as Island View Enterprises.

I hope that helps.
Old 01-23-2013, 7:45 PM
Banned

What can you expect?
-high prices, tripple the cost
-crowd
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinA View Post
I'd be looking for a decent deal on an AR15 type and a pistol like a springfield XDM or a 1911.
XDM's are not legal for sale from FFL's in CA unless yore a LEO. It is not on the roster. Only way to get one is PPT or SSE.

Last edited by xjdesertfox; 01-24-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 5:10 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I am going to the next Ventura Gun Show. I was at the two before this one, but those were both before the total panic buying began. In order to be in the first 50 through the gate, how many hours before would you guesstimate I would need to be there? 6:00 AM?

Need to score some ammo and primers badly, if it takes waiting three hours in line, then that's what I will do.
Old 02-01-2013, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Show up at least by 6:30-7 max. If you find some Wolf MT for a reasonable price (under $50 a brick) pick me up 5k rounds. Im gonna be layed up for the next week or so with bronchitis.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPlinker View Post
Don't expect to find anything, just show up and get what you get.
I totally agree with this statement. The days of planning what I was actually going to purchase at the gun show are gone (at least temporarily) and forget showing up at 830 like I am used to. I had a buddy who got in line at 730 for the last show (they open at 9) and it was close to noon when he got out of there with his $260 can of 400rds of 5.56. He didn't do much shopping around either after his brother spent $70 on a 10/30 PMag. I think he said there were about 50-60 people ahead of him when he got in line.

Like everybody is saying, it might be better to wait depending on your personal situation.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersandguns View Post
What can you expect?
-high prices, tripple the cost
-crowd

THIS!

I would rather wait until all this panic craziness subsides before
I go to another gun show. The one that I went to this January,
had a four hour wait time just to get inside. I didn't even bother
to try to get in.

"and God said let there be VTEC. And then there was
a great earthquake. The seas boiled and the skies fell...

All fell silent as the roar of 5,600RPM echoed across the earth"

Old 02-06-2013, 1:31 AM

I wanna go but don't want to deal with the crazy lines .. If I go it will be in the afternoon I know if I go late I will miss all the good stuff aww fml
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 AM

Yea I was thinking the same thing .. all the powders and other reloading components I want will be gone for sure. I might just drop by the one at the earl warren showgrounds in santa barbara instead ..
Old 02-08-2013, 6:39 PM

Last month I arrived at around 11am and just walked in. I was out by around 1pm having pretty much gotten what I wanted.

Sure if you come in late you may not get first chance at all the tastiest stuff, but it beats getting up early and standing in line all morning.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 PM

I used to walk into this show at mid day and walk out with a couple thousand rounds of ammo about an hour later. those were the days.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:23 PM

I hear the guys throwing this show is better than the other?
Old 04-19-2013, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaurus View Post
I hear the guys throwing this show is better than the other?
If its road runner then it's going to blow.. Like last months but if its crossroads then that's the one to go to
Old 04-19-2013, 8:45 AM
Barely here....
CGN Contributor

Hey guys,

I was at the Costa Masa show a couple of weeks ago. There was plenty of everything. It did seem to be slower than expected. Im guessing because everyone thinks there's no stock or lines will be crazy; It wasn't the case.

Most importantly, we will have our first CGN booth at this coming show. If anything come out and show your support. :-)
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMonkey View Post
Most importantly, we will have our first CGN booth at this coming show. If anything come out and show your support. :-)
^^^ THIS!

Innaugural CGN/CGSSA booth at the VC show! Who wouldn't want to come check that out?

Dates : April 27 & 28 2013
Time: Sat. 9-5 & Sun. 9-4
Location: Ventura County Fairgrounds @ 10 Harbor Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001
Crossroads of the West info: http://crossroadsgunshows.com

Old 04-20-2013, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

Absolutely! It's our 1st gun show here in VC, but we're all looking forward to it. If any CalGuns members go to the show, most definitely be sure to stop by, say hello, and show your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_eSeVe View Post
^^^ THIS!

Innaugural CGN/CGSSA booth at the VC show! Who wouldn't want to come check that out?

Dates : April 27 & 28 2013
Time: Sat. 9-5 & Sun. 9-4
Location: Ventura County Fairgrounds @ 10 Harbor Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001
Crossroads of the West info: http://crossroadsgunshows.com
Old 04-20-2013, 4:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPlinker View Post
Absolutely! It's our 1st gun show here in VC, but we're all looking forward to it. If any CalGuns members go to the show, most definitely be sure to stop by, say hello, and show your support.
Any calguns gear for sale
Old 04-20-2013, 5:42 PM
CGN Contributor

At the last show in Ventura, I showed up around 2pm and got everything I needed to pick up.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 04-20-2013, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersandguns View Post
Any calguns gear for sale
Yes. We have a full kit. Shirts, stickers, patches, etc... All funds donated at the show go directly to the CGSSA to help fund community projects and events (such as the gun show booth), and you'll get some top notch CG/CGSSA swag!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
At the last show in Ventura, I showed up around 2pm and got everything I needed to pick up.
I did the same. Went Saturday Afternoon. No line, a bit of a crowd and plenty of everything. Bought my Beretta PX-4 from the IVE booth, hit the ammo tent and bought 40s and 9s and then went home. Not bad at all.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-21-2013, 8:45 PM

Cant make saturday because of work. Whens a good time sunday? Interested mainly in 10rd AR mags and ammo in 5.56/.223 caliber
Old 04-23-2013, 1:46 PM

This is a crossroads show
Old 04-23-2013, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiled View Post
If you're looking to buy a gun around Ventura, check out island view enterprises
I second island view. Nice people there. And as for the show I wouldn't even bother. When you get there you waste your gas, entry fee and time. Good luck though.
Old 04-23-2013, 2:14 PM

How much is the entry fee?
Old 04-23-2013, 2:18 PM

Long lines and short of ammo.
Old 04-23-2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Hero View Post
How much is the entry fee?
I believe its $9 plus $5 for parking
Old 04-23-2013, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Admission for the show is $12 per person. Parking is $5.

That said, I don't think the show is a waste of time. Unfortunately supply & demand are not exclusive to the gun shows. Neither are lines or prices.

The good news is two-fold;

#1. The shows have calmed down a lot. The last show I attended was no where near as crowded as I expected it to be.

#2. CalGuns/CGSSA will have a booth at the show. We'll be there all day on both Saturday and Sunday. So come by and show your support.
Old 04-23-2013, 3:07 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Don't forget, you can pre order your tickets online for $11 here: https://www.ezticketlive.com/checkou...view.asp?id=29

and/or you can print a $1 off coupon here: http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/coupon.php
Old 04-23-2013, 3:10 PM

What were .223 reloads going for at the last gun show? Can anyone chime in =)?
Old 04-24-2013, 8:17 AM

the last gun show had no .223 reloads only handgun ammo.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:55 PM

Don't forget the kettle corn.
Old 04-25-2013, 6:03 PM

I'm looking forward to heading up and checking it out, this will be my first gun show as an adult. Last time I went I was like 9. I'm hoping to pick up some .223 or 5.56, how much per round do you guys think?

I am definitely going to stop by the CG booth and pick up some apparel!
Old 04-26-2013, 9:21 AM

The price of guns and ammo has really soared in the last few months. This has also carried over to the gun shows as well unfortunately. If you are going for the sole purpose of checking out firearms or buying ammo, you will be very disappointed I’m afraid. However if you are going to check out other memorabilia, accessories, knives, clothing, leather, survival stuff, etc. It will be a lot of fun.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Well I'm not expecting super-fantastic deals or anything but prices have got to be better than $1.00 -$1.20 per round of .223 at my local store, right?