Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 01-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Midtown Gunner's Avatar
Midtown Gunner Midtown Gunner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento. The fun part.
Posts: 258
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Agent Tikki, That's an amazing guide. The only problem I have with it is that a lot of the pictures and links are dead (it is four years old, after all).

Is this something you might update at some point?
__________________
When am I going to see Dragunov OLLs for sale??
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 03-10-2016, 7:26 AM
Darryl Licht's Avatar
Darryl Licht Darryl Licht is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Posts: 2,577
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown Gunner View Post
Agent Tikki, That's an amazing guide. The only problem I have with it is that a lot of the pictures and links are dead (it is four years old, after all).

Is this something you might update at some point?
I had to go back and look at the OP to check this.... all the OPs links and images are still there and working.

Other subsequent posts by cgn members are where the broken links etc are.
__________________
Quote:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 03-20-2016, 7:52 PM
EM2's Avatar
EM2 EM2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Prather, CA
Posts: 2,047
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Agent Tikki,
I wanted to thank you for this primer, I am going to build my own AR-15 this year and find your information most valuable.
Until this point my collection consists of mostly vintage military rifles and building an AR was a bit intimidating.
I like the idea of building my own so I can learn how they work and get precisely what I want.
__________________
Quote:
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 03-21-2016, 8:51 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

First AR build...

I found the tips here very helpful as well.

I've been collecting pieces and parts for a year and finally put it together over the weekend with some help from a buddy that's been through it already. He was a BIG help in making sure I wasn't chasing little springs and pins that got away.

I read this after I got my barrel - likely would have got a 1:9 twist instead of the 1:7. For plinking it should still be fine.

I would like some folding sights and a red-dot instead of the cheapo scope. And a cheekpad type stock. Maybe something for a forward grip, a magpul slope or a bi-pod grip.

The only missing part we ran into was the little spring for the ambi-bolt release lever. Took a few hours and was way fun and educational. A great experience!








__________________
1911 Shooter

Last edited by Browneye; 03-21-2016 at 8:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 03-28-2016, 12:33 AM
Agent Tikki's Avatar
Agent Tikki Agent Tikki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles/Harbor City
Posts: 1,216
iTrader: 55 / 100%
Default

I'm reallly happy to see that this is a resource that is still helping people today! Beautiful build Browneye! I would recommend some iron sights and practicing with them a bit before going with a red dot! Please follow up with a range report and more gunporn!

Tikki
__________________
He who does not fear the sword he wields does not deserve to wield it.-Kubo Tite

Assumption is the Mother of All ****Ups. Speaking of ****ups, where the Hell are all my packages
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 03-28-2016, 9:57 PM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Yes, got a set of magpul folding sites, first sight-in coming up Wednesday - will be out in Panamint Valley.
Got the little spring for the bolt release but that doesn't seem to work right - will see what it does with some cycling and empty mag. I have a feeling the bolt has to rotate or something on recoil on the last round. <shrug>

Anyway, thanks for all the good info. Think I will pickup a couple of stripped lowers - they are so cheap now, and build a couple more. I want a very basic A4 type carbine style, maybe something else as parts come up.

It's a very versatile platform.
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 03-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Darryl Licht's Avatar
Darryl Licht Darryl Licht is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Posts: 2,577
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
First AR build...

I found the tips here very helpful as well.

I've been collecting pieces and parts for a year and finally put it together over the weekend with some help from a buddy that's been through it already. He was a BIG help in making sure I wasn't chasing little springs and pins that got away.

I read this after I got my barrel - likely would have got a 1:9 twist instead of the 1:7. For plinking it should still be fine.

I would like some folding sights and a red-dot instead of the cheapo scope. And a cheekpad type stock. Maybe something for a forward grip, a magpul slope or a bi-pod grip.

The only missing part we ran into was the little spring for the ambi-bolt release lever. Took a few hours and was way fun and educational. A great experience!








Just curious...

That scope looks a lil too far forward, what scope is that, and what is the eye relief on it?
__________________
Quote:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Just curious...

That scope looks a lil too far forward, what scope is that, and what is the eye relief on it?
Relief is fine, it's a rifle scope - one of those cheapies from IJK or whatever - the folks at the gun show. I bought it for a 22LR but thought I would try it on this. Turns out it actually works quite well. Just not sure how it will old up under fire, so to speak. If it breaks down I think they warranty them. Anyway, I want a AR22 and will put this scope on that for plinking.

First fire last week in the dez, way fun and the rifle works like a champ. 50yd sight-in for the scope, magpul folding sights, and a new Vortex Strike-Fire. Can get a group at about 2" if I'm really steady (I'm old LOL).

The red-dot is the shiznit for sure - could hit a 6" target at 100-150yds with it - one of the steel swinging ones.

Ambi-bolt release does not work with this upper - the lower surface of the upper receiver sticks out too much so the lever can't come up high enough to catch the bolt. It's a Billet-80 custom, so it's not mil-spec in that area.So I'll put my standard release lever in there for now and when I built a new gun I'll put the new upper on this one, use the non-ambi release in the new lower with this upper.

Anyway, super happy with the way it works, it's way fun to shoot, and the satisfaction of building my own is just fantastic. Put a couple of hundred rounds through without a hickup, 55 and 62 grain, some new, some reloads. All worked just fine. Will post a few pics when I download them.

__________________
1911 Shooter

Last edited by Browneye; 04-04-2016 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 04-04-2016, 9:18 PM
Darryl Licht's Avatar
Darryl Licht Darryl Licht is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Posts: 2,577
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Relief is fine, it's a rifle scope - one of those cheapies from IJK or whatever - the folks at the gun show. I bought it for a 22LR but thought I would try it on this. Turns out it actually works quite well. Just not sure how it will old up under fire, so to speak. If it breaks down I think they warranty them. Anyway, I want a AR22 and will put this scope on that for plinking.

First fire last week in the dez, way fun and the rifle works like a champ. 50yd sight-in for the scope, magpul folding sights, and a new Vortex Strike-Fire. Can get a group at about 2" if I'm really steady (I'm old LOL).

The red-dot is the shiznit for sure - could hit a 6" target at 100-150yds with it - one of the steel swinging ones.

Ambi-bolt release does not work with this upper - the lower surface of the upper receiver sticks out too much so the lever can't come up high enough to catch the bolt. It's a Billet-80 custom, so it's not mil-spec in that area.So I'll put my standard release lever in there for now and when I built a new gun I'll put the new upper on this one, use the non-ambi release in the new lower with this upper.

Anyway, super happy with the way it works, it's way fun to shoot, and the satisfaction of building my own is just fantastic. Put a couple of hundred rounds through without a hickup, 55 and 62 grain, some new, some reloads. All worked just fine. Will post a few pics when I download them.

The beautiful thing about building AR's is that when you upgrade one, the old parts go into a box for the next build!

IT ISNT A HOBBY, IT IS AN ADDICTION! LOL!
__________________
Quote:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 04-04-2016, 10:35 PM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Ha ha...yep, dros'd a Anderson stripped lower from Turners today on their sale. Now I can build me a basic carbine type AR.
Threw a M&P AR-22 in there too, just for ****s and giggles.
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 04-12-2016, 7:33 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Shooting update...

Ol' lady likes to shoot as well. Went out to Raahauges outdoor range in Corona yesterday for a couple of hours - rain expected so not very many peeps showed up. Way fun. Got it all sighted in - does pretty well with red-dot and iron sights.

Got a Vortex red-dot, works way cool. And Magpul folding for backup. The co-witness dealeo on the red-dot is pretty neat. I can get a 2" group with the irons, about 1" with the scope - about 50yards on these private lanes out there. Really liked the place.

She's not quite as steady as the old man.
We proceeded to fill up those targets with holes - a few hundred rounds, and with my carry guns and her SR22 purple. I brought my 1911 in my avatar but not in it's regular case and that's where the mags were - dayumm...I hate it when that happens.

We've been doing a lot of this kind of stuff lately - empty nesters and such - and enjoying life more than ever.

EDIT: Oh yeah, update on the ambi bolt release - changed out to the standard and it works perfect. Good to know - the PDQ one doesn't work with a billet upper - too much material over where it has to pop up on the right side. I'll use that upper on a lower that doesn't have the machining for the PDQ. Nice to have it all working correctly now.











__________________
1911 Shooter

Last edited by Browneye; 04-12-2016 at 7:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 04-16-2016, 8:11 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

AR Assembly Tools

Another inmate was asking about custom parts and building his first AR and I talked some about tools to put it together. With some pointers from experienced builders and having gone through the process these are the very basics.

They are cheap to buy on amazon or your well-stocked dealer or other online source, and makes the difference between easy success and giant headaches...

Pin punch set: http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Roll-Pin-...7WMFHYB11F14R5

Armorers tool: http://www.amazon.com/NcSTAR-NcStar-...ilpage_o00_s00
Fits all the special nuts and pieces while assembling.

Hollow end start punch for pins: http://www.amazon.com/Squirrel-Daddy...ilpage_o01_s00
Makes starting roll-pins WAY easier. You can do them without, but for $10 makes the job SO much easier.

Barrel vice blocks: http://www.amazon.com/NO-M-A-R-Purpo...ilpage_o03_s00
You need one of these to torque the flash-hider on the end of the barrel or to hold the barrel for assembly.

Lower vice block: http://www.amazon.com/Flagaway%C2%AE...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
This makes holding the lower or the assembly in a vice way easy for working on it.

And an upper receiver vice block would have been a real advantage as well - we were able to use the barrel vice blocks to hold the upper while torquing the barrel nut, but it kept slipping out. We got the gas tube lined up finally, but it was difficult. An upper vice block is about $30 and well worth it. I'll be getting one for my next build. Oh, and don't forget to insert the pivot pin for dust cover before the barrel nut goes on - it's what holds the pin in. Yep, had to take my barrel off and reinstall it. LOL.

Oh, and set of SAE allen wrenches especially for putting together the guard and associated bits, rails, etc. The grip handle requires a long-ish one to reach the bolt that holds it to the lower receiver.

I did not use a torque wrench - I have a good feel for torque values having wrenched all my life, and on my build the barrel nut has to be clocked for the gas tube to line up so once you get it cinched on there's a range of torque values to accommodate the proper alignment anyway. The armorers tool was invaluable for this process.

Hope this helps!
__________________
1911 Shooter

Last edited by Browneye; 04-16-2016 at 8:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 04-16-2016, 9:26 AM
Darryl Licht's Avatar
Darryl Licht Darryl Licht is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Posts: 2,577
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
AR Assembly Tools

Another inmate was asking about custom parts and building his first AR and I talked some about tools to put it together. With some pointers from experienced builders and having gone through the process these are the very basics.

They are cheap to buy on amazon or your well-stocked dealer or other online source, and makes the difference between easy success and giant headaches...

Pin punch set: http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Roll-Pin-...7WMFHYB11F14R5

Armorers tool: http://www.amazon.com/NcSTAR-NcStar-...ilpage_o00_s00
Fits all the special nuts and pieces while assembling.

Hollow end start punch for pins: http://www.amazon.com/Squirrel-Daddy...ilpage_o01_s00
Makes starting roll-pins WAY easier. You can do them without, but for $10 makes the job SO much easier.

Barrel vice blocks: http://www.amazon.com/NO-M-A-R-Purpo...ilpage_o03_s00
You need one of these to torque the flash-hider on the end of the barrel or to hold the barrel for assembly.

Lower vice block: http://www.amazon.com/Flagaway%C2%AE...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
This makes holding the lower or the assembly in a vice way easy for working on it.

And an upper receiver vice block would have been a real advantage as well - we were able to use the barrel vice blocks to hold the upper while torquing the barrel nut, but it kept slipping out. We got the gas tube lined up finally, but it was difficult. An upper vice block is about $30 and well worth it. I'll be getting one for my next build. Oh, and don't forget to insert the pivot pin for dust cover before the barrel nut goes on - it's what holds the pin in. Yep, had to take my barrel off and reinstall it. LOL.

Oh, and set of SAE allen wrenches especially for putting together the guard and associated bits, rails, etc. The grip handle requires a long-ish one to reach the bolt that holds it to the lower receiver.

I did not use a torque wrench - I have a good feel for torque values having wrenched all my life, and on my build the barrel nut has to be clocked for the gas tube to line up so once you get it cinched on there's a range of torque values to accommodate the proper alignment anyway. The armorers tool was invaluable for this process.

Hope this helps!
Inmates should never own firearms!
__________________
Quote:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 04-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Inmates should never own firearms!
Haha, I'm pretty sure ALL calguns "inmates" do.
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 AM
Agent Tikki's Avatar
Agent Tikki Agent Tikki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles/Harbor City
Posts: 1,216
iTrader: 55 / 100%
Default

Wow glad to see you really getting into it, Browneye looks to me your now a bonafide ar15 veteran! Way to go!
__________________
He who does not fear the sword he wields does not deserve to wield it.-Kubo Tite

Assumption is the Mother of All ****Ups. Speaking of ****ups, where the Hell are all my packages
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 04-19-2016, 4:03 PM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Well, more like a AR noob, but thanks. I'm a quick study.
Nice to see people getting into the build aspect rather than just go buy one.

Looking for suggestions on a second build.

BTW, what does the group think about Lucid HD7 red-dot?
On sale for $150 today at Primary Arms.

__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 04-20-2016, 8:15 AM
Darryl Licht's Avatar
Darryl Licht Darryl Licht is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Posts: 2,577
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Well, more like a AR noob, but thanks. I'm a quick study.
Nice to see people getting into the build aspect rather than just go buy one.

Looking for suggestions on a second build.

BTW, what does the group think about Lucid HD7 red-dot?
On sale for $150 today at Primary Arms.

MY $.02...

A $1,000 AR deserves a better optic!

IMHO you need to spend $300-400 to get a "decent" optic these days.

Although this is a only a red dot, I'd look for a more lo profile RD, this is just a look-a-like copy of the trijicon!
__________________
Quote:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 04-20-2016, 9:39 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
MY $.02...

A $1,000 AR deserves a better optic!

IMHO you need to spend $300-400 to get a "decent" optic these days.

Although this is a only a red dot, I'd look for a more lo profile RD, this is just a look-a-like copy of the trijicon!
Recommendations?


As far as a new build, I like these Diamondhead guards. I'm not sure what else I might want different. Perhaps build to a need, like rugged field use, or long-distance sniper fire - like a 20" SS barrel or something.

I can't see changing calibers, the 223-556 works just fine for what I want to do with a rifle.

__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-06-2016, 12:55 AM
Rosevillian Rosevillian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Man, that was a lot of great info for someone who just a few days ago knew absolutely nothing about these machines except for how fierce they look. Thanks. So tell me, The OLL or 80% lower, do i have to purchase that in ca as a ca resident?? I'm being told that you can just order an 80 from the internet like anything else and go from there????
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-06-2016, 1:04 AM
Rosevillian Rosevillian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Who wouldn't wanna build one of these beasts? This is gonna be fun and rewarding. I love working with my hands and getting that satisfaction doing quality work with quality products. Here we goo..... I'm on it. After I do my homework of course.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 05-06-2016, 6:47 AM
CWDraco CWDraco is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Camarillo
Posts: 3,366
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosevillian View Post
Who wouldn't wanna build one of these beasts? This is gonna be fun and rewarding. I love working with my hands and getting that satisfaction doing quality work with quality products. Here we goo..... I'm on it. After I do my homework of course.
everything you need is right here... good luck, happy building
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 05-06-2016, 8:37 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosevillian View Post
Man, that was a lot of great info for someone who just a few days ago knew absolutely nothing about these machines except for how fierce they look. Thanks. So tell me, The OLL or 80% lower, do i have to purchase that in ca as a ca resident?? I'm being told that you can just order an 80 from the internet like anything else and go from there????
The 80% finishing has become more difficult in that you have to do the machining work yourself - someone else cannot do it for you or lend you their equipment. So yeah, you can buy a 'paperweight' - an alloy forging or machined piece, but you have to be able to do the mill work for the trigger socket. There are jigs available, some say it can be done with a drillpress or router. In years past many used a CNC mill. The latter produced some really clean and nice work without blowing out the part.

Now there is pending legislation for CA that will require serializing and registering built rifles that has been vetoed previously but we don't really know what's going to happen with that. So unless you want an off-grid gun a 'stripped lower' is another option, it's the same 80% but it's now 100% and you can build your gun without doing the machine work it's already done for you. And yes, it's serialized and you DROS it through your FFL dealer. Turners had the Anderson Machining AR lower on sale for $79 plus dros and 10 day wait - I got one of those to do another build.

You'll first have to decide which way you want to go on this part of it.
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 07-09-2016, 9:41 PM
Steves32's Avatar
Steves32 Steves32 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bear Valley Springs, Ca.
Posts: 240
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Great read. Been planning my 1st AR for a long time. I’m a bolt gun bench shooter so it was time. I’ve been shooting my buddies AR for awhile. It’s had 4k rounds through it & not 1 failure whatsoever. I see plenty of cheap guns at range that can barely get through a magazine without an issue- not for me. I looked at many- decided to buy the same one my buddy had. Plan from the beginning is to put glass on it & shoot it next to my Rem .308. Not really interested in close quarters.

Gun is a boutique you warned against.

WMD Beast
Specs:
LOWER RECEIVER: Billet 7075-T6 Aluminum Machined To Mil Spec Dimensions, Front Magazine Well Finger Grips, Nib-X Nickel Boron Coated For Durability
UPPER RECEIVER: Billet Mil-Spec 7075-T6 Aluminum With M4 Feed Ramps. Nib-X Coated For Lubricity And Durability
BARREL: Match Grade Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, 1:7 Twist, 16″ M4 Profile, Carbine Gas System, Nitromet QPQ Salt Bath Nitrided In The Bore For Extended Life And Accuracy, Nib-X Coated On The Outside For Durability And Heat Dissipation
BARREL EXTENSION: NiB-X Coated Barrel Extension For Extremely Smooth Locking And Unlocking With The Bolt
GAS SYSTEM: Low Profile Gas Block, CNC Machined From 4140 Steel And Nib-X Finished, Nitromet QPQ Carbine Length Gas Tube, Direct Impingement
MUZZLE DEVICE: Compensator, 17-4 PH Stainless Steel, Nib-X Coated
BOLT CARRIER GROUP: M16 Profile, Mil-Spec MP Tested, Nib-X Coated For Reliability And Ease Of Cleaning, Properly Staked Gas Key
FIRE CONTROL GROUP: Hammer, Trigger and Disconnect coated in NiB-X for lower pull force (<6 lbs) and smooth reset
BUFFER: Carbine Buffer
SIGHTS: Optics Ready
HANDGUARD: Free Float Aluminum, Nib-X Coated Handguard
RECEIVER EXTENSION: 6 Position Mil-Spec 7075-T6 Aluminum, Nib-X Coated Inside And Out
BUTTSTOCK: Ti-7 Black Triangular Cheek-Weld Design For Comfort, Rugged Materials For Durability, Rubber-Like Buttplate For Non-Slip Contact Surface, 2 Water-Resistant Storage Chambers For Batteries Or Cleaning Kits
PISTOL GRIP: Black Pistol Grip by Ergo w/ storage
CALIBER: 5.56mm NATO
GAS SYSTEM: Carbine
Drago Tactical Bag: Ballistic Fabric Tactical Bag With Exterior Magazine Pockets, Shoulder Backpack Straps, Range Ready.
Weight: 7.1 lbs
Made In The USA!

I have scope mounted & bore sighted. Will hit the range next week.








Last edited by Steves32; 07-09-2016 at 9:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 07-14-2016, 8:12 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

^^ Nice looking rifle.

Since my build-post up-thread I've been doing some research on featureless builds to coincide with our newly signed firearms laws here in CA. It was really disappointing to just get one built, and just bought a stripped lower, and find out there will be problems with compliance.

I will be adding a few things and removing a few things to comply with these silly laws. I will not be leaving it as a standard BB AR to be registered as a RAW.

The good news is that the primary function of the rifle is not affected - it's a great system of loading rounds and firing them off. Seems silly to me you can rearrange the stock a bit, change out the muzzle device, and make it legal.
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 07-14-2016, 9:53 AM
Steves32's Avatar
Steves32 Steves32 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bear Valley Springs, Ca.
Posts: 240
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Thanks.
I will go RAW. I didn’t wait all this time to buy an expensive AR & then change it up. Im in my 60’s & have kids not into guns. I don’t sell anything. For all I care, they can lay it next to me in my casket. Well- unless they pass a new bill that you can’t take it with you.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 07-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves32 View Post
Thanks.
I will go RAW. I didnít wait all this time to buy an expensive AR & then change it up. Im in my 60ís & have kids not into guns. I donít sell anything. For all I care, they can lay it next to me in my casket. Well- unless they pass a new bill that you canít take it with you.
Seems to me that indeed that is the case.
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 07-14-2016, 7:11 PM
Steves32's Avatar
Steves32 Steves32 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bear Valley Springs, Ca.
Posts: 240
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Seriously? WTF?
I’ll have her put it in a guitar case.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 07-14-2016, 8:18 PM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Something about epa ground water pollution heavy metals blah blah blah.
Check your local regs.
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 07-14-2016, 8:32 PM
Steves32's Avatar
Steves32 Steves32 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bear Valley Springs, Ca.
Posts: 240
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default


Last edited by Steves32; 07-14-2016 at 8:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 08-20-2016, 8:24 PM
pj35745 pj35745 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 24
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thanks, 'Agent Tiki'!
Recent Cali Gunmaggedon garbage got my juices up.
Shoulda bought long ago; buying now to cover my a** for my future.

As a recent 'first toe in the AR 15 pool', I read your original post and went forward.
Purchased a SW MP 15 Sport II; outa jail a couple weeks back.
Read your thread again; consulted with my brother (who's a hardcore 'weapons dude').
Brother woulda killed me if I dry-fired it outa the box.
Watched some vids, read more threads.
Couple trips to Sportsman's Warehouse got me cleaning supplies and such.
Busted down and cleaned/lubed the virgin before range time.
(He watched and sternly instructed as to sequences and amounts and such.)
Better to know how and why your piece works as it does before you find out at the range or in the 'field'!
Just doing that alone made la machine much more understandable!

Finally got it to the 25 yard indoor range and did well with the iron sights.
1-2 inch groups of 3 @ 15 yards, finally 1-2 inch groups @ 25 yards.
Only took 50 rounds!

Even had a FTF after inserting a new mag and not getting the sequencing proper on my loading.
Busted it open and got the shell to finally eject; continued on with no difficulties!
Cleaned it/lubed it at home right after!
With a BIG GRIN on my mug, having experienced my first 'own piece' AR 15 recoil therapy.
(Which is quite, quite different than my Shield 9 experience previously!)
Gotta take good care of mechanical things that go 'boom'!

As an aside:
After my 50 rounds, I observed a brand new AR 15 purchaser @ The Gun Range counter, he wondering why they wouldn't allow him to fire off his 'outa the box' new purchase.
They'd apparently busted his piece open (at his request) and lubed it up for him, but wouldn't let him fire off that day.
(Good for them!!!)
I pulled him aside and went on to explain dry-firing vs. learning first, busting down, cleaning/lubing and putting back together BEFORE popping a mag.
Recommended a few vids and reading the manual, then busting down and cleaning, as I went through.
His glazed-eyes came back in focus, he listened and thanked me before he left.
'Twas a good day!
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 08-27-2016, 8:52 AM
CWDraco CWDraco is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Camarillo
Posts: 3,366
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodri View Post
However, since there are so many configurations, many new consumers are overwhelmed with the choices that they face. To address this, Iíve written this document to help the first time consumer become an informed consumer. A little knowledge goes a long way to help you spend your hard-earned money. My sole wish is to provide you with enough background and general information to make a smart buy, and I will try to remain as objective as possible. I would also like to say that this is a general overview and I will not go in depth with every explanation. I do hope that after reading this, you come away with a good understanding and appreciation of the AR15.

I would also like
What do you need? We are here to help.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 08-27-2016, 8:55 AM
Garv's Avatar
Garv Garv is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal South Bay
Posts: 5,696
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWDraco View Post
What do you need? We are here to help.
Pretty sure is some sort of troll, check his other posts.
__________________
Originally posted by Kestryll:
It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 08-27-2016, 9:21 AM
CWDraco CWDraco is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Camarillo
Posts: 3,366
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
Pretty sure is some sort of troll, check his other posts.
By his first post it's more likely its an old-timers newly made Troll account. Could also be a banned members new account. May also be gathering a post count to sell in the marketplace.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 08-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Garv's Avatar
Garv Garv is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal South Bay
Posts: 5,696
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWDraco View Post
By his first post it's more likely its an old-timers newly made Troll account. Could also be a banned members new account. May also be gathering a post count to sell in the marketplace.
Do not need a post count to sell in Marketplace.

Agree is a troll or PBM.

Edit: And he is gone.
__________________
Originally posted by Kestryll:
It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

Last edited by Garv the innocent; 08-27-2016 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 09-07-2016, 8:30 PM
Darryl Licht's Avatar
Darryl Licht Darryl Licht is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Posts: 2,577
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal451 View Post
OK, need help and after a search here I don't see anything that answers my question.

Went to the local gun shop to sign all of the forms to help delay and/or block the bills. While there I asked the owner if he could order a Stag lower receiver and he said they can't be sold in CA anymore??

Didn't offer to sell me anything else but I've never heard of an "off list" lower receiver???

Thanks in advance!
Just because someone owns or works at a gun shop means nothing! Many LGS (local gun shops) are the worst places for gun misinformation! I would go tell the owner he is an idiot and that of all people he should not spread lies and misinformation to gun owners! Then never set foot in that shop again!

Lowers 80% or 100% are still legal in Cali and will be even after Jan 2017! Just use it to build a featureless rifle if these gunmageddon laws are not repealed!
__________________
Quote:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 09-20-2016, 9:17 AM
cockedandglocked's Avatar
cockedandglocked cockedandglocked is offline
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Near Excremento
Posts: 14,943
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

reported takengon25's image tracker
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 10-11-2016, 11:48 AM
2ndAmnJedi 2ndAmnJedi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 21
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

After reading this primer i understand how building an AR works and i thank for taking the time and effort doing so. With that being said, is there a specific forum that i could ask for help in building an AR, or is this an acceptable form?
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 10-11-2016, 1:35 PM
Darryl Licht's Avatar
Darryl Licht Darryl Licht is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Posts: 2,577
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmnJedi View Post
After reading this primer i understand how building an AR works and i thank for taking the time and effort doing so. With that being said, is there a specific forum that i could ask for help in building an AR, or is this an acceptable form?
Ask away...
__________________
Quote:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 10-11-2016, 9:03 PM
Browneye's Avatar
Browneye Browneye is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North OC - So-Cal
Posts: 683
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I still haven't done anything with my second build - a stripped anderson. Bought some parts, a SS barrel, an Anderson upper. I have been on hold with all these new laws.
Bought a Monster-man grip and want to get a fixed A2 stock for my first build. Need to figure out how to get a serial number on it. And replace the barrel end.
All of mine will be featureless.
__________________
1911 Shooter
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 10-11-2016, 11:49 PM
Darryl Licht's Avatar
Darryl Licht Darryl Licht is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach
Posts: 2,577
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I still haven't done anything with my second build - a stripped anderson. Bought some parts, a SS barrel, an Anderson upper. I have been on hold with all these new laws.
Bought a Monster-man grip and want to get a fixed A2 stock for my first build. Need to figure out how to get a serial number on it. And replace the barrel end.
All of mine will be featureless.

My friend....

Anderson lowers have SN's, which is why you had the 10 day waiting period!

Unless you meant you have an 80% lower and an Anderson upper?

If that is the case, laser engraving is the way to go! ...and I know a guy!
__________________
Quote:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:29 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.